Apple Might Buy Netflix

businessinsider.com/apple-potential-merger-acquisition-candidates-aapl-2017-12
Jan. 1, 2018

There is a 40% chance Apple will acquire Netflix, according to Citi
Citi analysts say that there is a 40% likelihood of Apple acquiring Netflix.
Apple will be able to repatriate about $220 billion in cash to the US under the Trump tax cut.
The company would need only one-third of that to snap up Netflix.

There is a 40% likelihood that Apple will acquire Netflix now that USPresident Trump's corporate tax cut has been passed, according to Citi analystsJim Suva andAsiya Merchant.

The cut in corporate taxes, along with a one-time allowance for companies to repatriate cash stored overseas without a major tax hit,will give Apple a much larger cash warchest to buy new companies. Apple has about $252 billion in cash, much of it in foreign jurisdictions, which previously it was unable to bring back to the US.

Suva and Merchant ranked potential Apple M&A targets in a note to clients sent in December.

They mark Netflix as the company Apple would be most likely to buy

cont.

The note was written beforeDisney's acquisition of Fox's studio and TV assets. But prior to that event, Citi gave an Apple-Disney tie-up a 20-30% chance.

Apple has for years struggled to offer a compelling TV or movie offering. iTunes has been a huge hit for the company, but viewers have migrated increasingly to services like Netflix, Amazon or Hulu to watch their favourite shows.

Apple has recently dipped a toe into content creation: Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon will be in Apple's first scripted video series. But making hit movies is a very different skill-set from making the iPhones they are viewed on, so there is some logic to the idea that Apple might want to own Netflix in the future.

"The firm has too much cash – nearly $250 billion – growing at $50 billion a year. This is a good problem to have," Suva and Merchant told clients. "Historically, Apple has avoided repatriating cash to the US to avoid high taxation. As such, tax reform may allow Apple to put this cash to use. With over 90% of its cash sitting overseas, a one-time 10% repatriation tax would give Apple $220 billion for M&A or buybacks."

Apple would need only a third of that cash to buy Netflix, the pair say.

FIN

there are laws against huge corporations literally buying their competition.

pls no

Can they buy anime too?

>apple is computers
>netflix is streaming

not competition goy

Netflix isn't a competitor

>Drumpf’s tax laws are helping companies get bigger

Wew, it’s almost like he hates little guys or something.

Well someone is going to have to buy them, they have a huge debt.

That won't have any impact on the content though, apple doesn't give a shit what shows they make as long as they get a cut of the profits.

apple TV

apple is being run by incompetent retards who cant put out products worth buying.

No one enforces them though

they get enforced whenever an entity on the fortune 500 list doesn't want to be acquired by another entity on the list.

That would be perfect timing. 2017 was the year I left the Apple eco system and cancelled my netflix.

>I left the Apple eco system
how? i've tried 3 times but Android is such trash and Windows is just fucking literal hell

lol kill yourself retard

They already have iTunes.

Lol 0% chance due to antitrust. Anyone who says otherwise is a dogshitter retard imho

everything i need to do is faster, more user friendly and more efficient with Apple. far less headaches overall and i've yet to have one of their devices fail on me

Android is where all the FOSS apps are. The taste of freedom is the sweetest.

not at all. apple doesn't directly compete with netflix and netflix has tons of competitors. there's absolutely nothing government could do about it and they wouldn't want to anyway

oh goy.....

>there are laws against huge corporations literally buying their competition.

>COMPUTAH MUSHEEN HAHD! HUWT BWAIN ME NEED FWENDLY BUTTONS AND APPWE BWAND APPS HURR ME LUV EATING DOG SHIT YUM YUM

Antitrust isn't about some vague notion of competiton according to a pseudoredditor. This will not happen. Period.

see i don't have any need for shit like that. i use my phone to make calls, text, look up parts, check grain prices and check the weather forecast. i only have like 4 apps aside from all the shit that comes preinstalled

Anti trust laws haven't been enforced since early 1900s

Odd considering they were said to only want family-friendly original content.

if Bayers can buy Monsanto Apple can buy Netflix

From the article, it sounds like Netflix is a competitor to their iTunes streaming software.

Did you even read what you wrote? How can apple make profit buying a company who operates in debt?

If apple could buy netflix they wouldve done so regardless of drumpfs new minimally changed tax situation

>He thinks Donald "Israel" Trump is going to take any power away from jews

Isn't Bayer's a German company?

Apple pays the debt off and all future profits are there's? Don't really know just how debt works with major corporations but Netflix is spending 8 Billion on new content next year despite their debt. So don't seem too worried.

CAPITALISM FUCK YEAR

Aren't they about to lose twice that amount with the class actions re: batterygate?

with rumors of Amazon buying Target, buckle up. in 10 years, there will be about 4-5 major US companies that control everything in the western world

The EU is taking a shit on that deal right now

not if they don't actually want it. guy in the article is just talking out his ass

But they're removing a lot of the content people originally liked them for, while increasing the cost. They're banking on their OC for the future.

Amazon bought Whole Foods not long ago too

I would rather see Amazon buying Netflix than Apple tbqh

yep but they are a global company

they will make them jump through hoops but it's gonna happen. both companies have sold off assets and parts of their companies to make it work. it's going to create the biggest agricultural company in the world and they will likely dominate the industry within a decade

Disney just bought Fox

No, parts of their film division. It's all for xmen shit

Got Samsung galaxy s8 plus. Moved over to Google drive. Don't use Microsoft shit other than Windows. It was hard, harder than I realised but I also realised doing it now saved me even worse of a headache in the future because Apple is making it worse step by step and more inside their eco system the more dependent you become, you are being held hostage and now we know they slow our devices down.

Get out now because it is only getting worse.

They bought every movie and show 20th Century Fox has made, which is a shitload more then X-Men. Believe it or not, they make non-superhero stuff also.

In other words, the stuff that has cost them more money than it's actually worth.

They won't buy Netflix. Apple doesn't want any nudity or profanity in their contant. Almost all of their content beside the children shows have tits in them.

Apple already stopped their shitty show with James cordan to take out the word fuck from it.

If they do I cancel netflix and pirate more... simple.

These mergers have been in the process for a few years and are a result of Obama killing all small competition off through various “equality” programs, like Net Neutrality. Trump has openly talked about breaking up these large corporations, while Obama sucked their cocks like a good negro.

>republicans are the only ones who have ever broken up large corporations
>he posts this pic unironically like it’s still 2003

you cant be this reddit

Watch as major corporations slowly buy out the competition. We’re all fucked. Disney owns almost half the movie industry with the fox acquisition and the deal won’t be stopped because Rupert is friends with trump.’

Apple buy Netflix I could totally see happening it all depends on if Netflix wants to be owned by a corporate giant like apple or the Netflix execs just sell out once Disney’s streaming service goes live. Once that happens Netflix is basically useless. They might stay afloat a 5 more years post Disney steaming service I’d they keep making original content. Like mind hunters otherwise the future of Netflix is pretty bleak unless they get bought buy someone like apple someone who has the market share to compete with Disney.

Well it is look down upon but they are producing soo much that i don't think that they will go out.

they are trying to have a distance between them selves and disney, right now they have a very good start and no matter how big disney is, they can't gather 100 million subscribers in one year.

Wait but yesterday I bought 8 apples that doesn't make sense

>he thinks the presidency has power

PLEASE GOD NO

> implying there's a difference between Reps and Dems

>But they're removing a lot of the content people originally liked them for, while increasing the cost. They're banking on their OC for the future.

Netflix is already losing all their Disney content and soon everybody else's also, as every network looks to start their own streaming service, thus Netflix has already moved to become their own network.

With access to Apple's bazillions of dollars, Netflix will become a major player in the entertainment world.

>Introducing the NEW Apple iStream (formerly Netflix).
>With a sleek new interface (1 button, no categories, search function enabled by clenching your anus around the new 360Touch™ Apple Remote's sensor ring and squealing out each letter individually.
>No bloat videos! (Only the top 10 ongoing Netflix series are originally accessible with $0.99 per additional product for the month)
>Ultra 5k definition! (Encoding errors make it unwatchable on normal tv's, have to buy one of the two currently available 5k monitors or an imac for it to play)

Why do normies by trash apple products?

Apple is fantastic at marketing itself as a premium status product. I don't know anybody that actually needs computers for their livelihood that works with Apple products. Hell, even my professors in university for comp. engy said to be a linux desktop fag just so you know how shit works in an OS.

It will be worth it when they launch their streaming service to compete with Netflix and have everything from Simpsons, Family Guy, X-Files, Alien, Planet of the Apes and every James Cameron movie. Plus Star Wars and Marvel. They own Hulu also so everything they have is Disney too.

They're going to destroy Netflix.

I would stop paying for netflix and pirate instead

i fucking hate apple

Holy shit my sides

Apple are making horribly bad calls after Jobs' death. First paying $1 billion for Beats by Dre - headphones notorious for being $30 at most of cheap chinkshit audio components wrapped in a $230+ plastic casing and logo, now considering buying the sinking debt-laden ship that is Netflix instead of just expanding availability for their own surprisingly decent Apple TV service. That $70 billion warchest will be up in smoke soon enough unless they find someone better than Jobs' old rentboy to run the company.

Damn, that is a shitload of money

>using Linux

Enjoy no thumbnails in your file picker.

>Artist
>Been using a (for the time) very high-spec 2013 Macbook Pro for the last few years as my workhorse machine
>Runs Adobe CS better than any equivalent Windows machine
>Runs Zbrush like a champ
>Great screen with very accurate colour reproduction and easy to switch between different RGB standards to see how shit will look on other machines/in print
>Finally starting to show its age
>Consider replacements
>New Macbook Pros are complete shit, AMOLED displays with godawful colour reproduction, only the most expensive models have anything even approaching a graphics card, doesn't even have the external ports to plug a Cintiq into
>Windows 10 is an operating system that may as well have been shat out of Satan's asshole AND it spies on you 24/7
>None of the software I need for work purposes is available on Linux

This is what blarmpftkins want: bigger corporations and monopoly.

apple isn't run by jews

netflix isn't run by jews

>paying $1 billion for Beats by Dre - headphones notorious for being $30 at most of cheap chinkshit audio components wrapped in a $230+ plastic casing and logo
Most of the expense for dre beats is actually put into marketing; I'd say the actual headphones are with like $50 max. To me that seemed like a good buy for Apple because they already follow their policy of over-investing in marketing rather than creating something that's worth the price.

I know I'll get laughed at for this by salty PCfags, but even though Apple's computers are overpriced they're still somewhat of a quality product (or at least they used to be). Beats are sub-bootleg-tier in terms of sound and build quality.

Have you seen Netflix projected growth numbers? They are getting 5 million new suscribers every quarter with increased prices and fixed costs.

If only they'd increase their titles.

Fuckin' somebody find the rights to Farscape already.

>(or at least they used to be)

What's going wrong with them?

Now Jobs is dead and the generation of products that he oversaw before his death have been and gone, the company doesn't have a rogue autist at the helm insisting the products actually be functional in the right hands. Latest generation of iMacs and Macbook Pros are useless for digital illustration, film editing, sound mixing, etc - nothing more than a shiny metal casing with half a USB port. They're even making the OS progressively more useless.

Don’t argue with the poor fags they will defend AMD graphics cards, crappy android OS, windows and thinkpads over shit which actually works right out of the box

Cause god forbid a machine operates correctly without hours of tuning

It doesn't really matter, it's all a marketing scam. They hype the next tv show like the second coming and they get a couple of million new subscribers to watch it ("woah Mindhunters breh it's like Se7en but only the first three episodes and then all shit!" -> a million new subscribers and their costs stay the same). Only HBO is a real competition for them especially if the AT&T merger goes through

>buy used X220 off eBay
>install Linux Mint
>everything just werks

vs

>pay $1000 for a MacBook Air that doesn't do anything noticeable better and you can't even change the RAM yourself

>everything just works
*except that none of the top software because it’s not compatible with Linux
**no games either
Linux is trash, this is what I mean you dumb fucks just won’t get angry there are fuck all alternatives if you are gainfully employed and need to do something useful

And defend android. How does that just work

>And defend android. How does that just work
Got a new LG v30 recently. Opened it up, activated it with my carrier, and then it just worked. Don't know what else to tell you.

Tons of businesses use Linux. Look at how many servers run it. Look at how many programmers use it.

>Android

It has the vast majority of the market share. Great Google integration, an actual file manager, you can install any app store you want, the list goes on and on.

Android's also a virus-prone security liability. I miss Blackberries

Then in two weeks you’ll have your first crash. In two months it’ll be so bloated from updates that it’ll feel like a 2 year old phone. In 6 months it’ll be unusable without uninstalling everything that came out the box because it’s trash software

Linux is useless for the entire creative industry, the only good software which runs on Linux is for high end 3D animation. Everything else either still isn’t on Linux or has a better version elsewhere. Coding isn’t the be all end all of computing

kek this. How do these apple faggots even figure out how to post here.

>Then in two weeks you’ll have your first crash. In two months it’ll be so bloated from updates that it’ll feel like a 2 year old phone. In 6 months it’ll be unusable without uninstalling everything that came out the box because it’s trash software
everybody get a load of this pleb git gud faggot

Android OS is garbage. You have to remove all the vanilla shit because it’s like windows it bloated and crashes as more updates cause more problems

>the law applies to kikes and huge corporations

lmao

TFW fat pony tailed aspie fighting of zog with my special cup keyboard and square glasses

So you've never actually used Android I take it?

>Then in two weeks you’ll have your first crash. In two months it’ll be so bloated from updates that it’ll feel like a 2 year old phone. In 6 months it’ll be unusable without uninstalling everything that came out the box because it’s trash software
>muh slippery slope
Did you get cucked by an android user or something?

Tell that to my 3 year old S5 that still runs like new , you've obviously never used a real android device probably just some chinkshit 10 years ago

Look at these poor fags desperate to defend the windows of phones. You can lie to yourself but the reality is you need to mod the fuck out of these things to get any long term value

I had a nexus 4 btw, a highly rated phone in its day

What about OpenToonz and DaVinci?

>everyone who disagrees is lying
How much do they pay you?