Masters of the Universe

Since the last thread got bumped off the board by the 25 plus Samuari Jack threads currently on the board. I had more art to post and now art in need of reposting as well so let's do this.

Also we need an 80s shared universe something or other complete with Masters of the Universe, Thundercats, Rock Lords, Sectuars (for extra-planetary Fantasy/Sci-Fi Barbarianism) and Dinosaucers, COPS, Gobots, Centurions (for Earth based adventures) and Galaxy Rangers, Silverhawks, Bravestarr and Dino-Riders (for Cosmic shit). Fuck it, anything not owned by Hasbro just throw it in there.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Tk2yuCc5c-I
youtube.com/watch?v=2Vo6YG9U_o8
youtube.com/watch?v=WddpkmW2hBQ
youtube.com/watch?v=sufovqGQafY
youtube.com/watch?v=vOsHoqhbUIU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's a shame this franchise only has a fanbase of insane reactionary men and women in their 40s and 50s who declare anything done after 1987 to be heresy. Or sometimes anything after 1985.

How someone can still idolize the Filmation cartoon is beyond me.

The funny thing is that Filmation is the worst MOTU series ever. It completely destroyed the entire building of an alien post apocalyptic turned to a Sword & Sorcery world, that came before, with the mini comics, the box art and the first comics. The 2002 animated series was by far superior from the Filmation cartoon. And the comics that released during the 2002-2004 and 2012-17 were great. Heck even the New Adventures is a better animated series than Filmation.

Pretty much, but american children can't read and only grew up watching shitty cartoons so that's the only version they accept.

Filmation has some good episodes, but the percentage of good to bad is abysmal because they shat out like 140 fucking episodes of the show with the same reused backgrounds, animation and music. Over and over and over again.

And people still say they love it.

The filmation series was great and still is a good show without pink glasses.
But you are right they are too nerdy if they dont take anythin past 2000 as addition.

This.

Filmation had maximum 10 decent episodes (Shokoti, Dragon's Gift, the Sorceress's Origin and few others). But this doesn't mean we should oversee how bad the rest it was.

The best parts of MOTU are the Alcala/Glut minic comics, the 2002 animated series, and the modern comics from 2002 and afterwards.

>The filmation series was great and still is a good show without pink glasses.

It really isn't, even compared to contemporary toy merchandise shows. Filmation was exactly like Hanna Barbera, a company filled with penny-pinching jews dedicated to showering the marketplace with inferior product and getting into syndication.

There's a reason that animation stars like Paul Dini who worked for them only have scatching remarks about the experience.

It was a good series. You overreact.
For what it was and aimed at the target group its really good.

And most other series at that time were mostly equal.

>ttfw 24 and love he-man

I heard they were planning NOT to put skeletor in the new movie because they want to build him up like thanos

which is fucking dumb

>2002 animated series

my nigga

why did it only get 2 seasons? ratings? or corporate bs?

Not having Skeletor in the film, it means that the movie already lost its most popular character. Dumb as fuck.

One word: Toys.

Mattel fucked up the marketing with a myriad of unwanted He-Man and Skeletor variants, and the action figure line failed. As a consequence the animated series had to ended soon.

> This thread again

Don't mind if I do.

If they do that they will have lost before they even began.

It'll be like the fucking Justice League thing where they're using Steppenwolf so they can "Build up" Darkseid.

It had consistently good ratings through both seasons but since the toys weren't selling Mattel decided not to go through with financing a third season. Toys which didn't sell, by the way, because Mattel famously fucked up distribution so shelves were only filled with crappy He-Man and Skeletor variants.

So who is the most popular character in the franchise?

Skeletor seems to have spawned the most memes.

Do you have any more like this? Original art not fanart?

youtube.com/watch?v=Tk2yuCc5c-I

>attel famously fucked up distribution so shelves were only filled with crappy He-Man and Skeletor variants.

SON OF A BITCH I REMEMBER THAT!

It took a fucking lifetime for me just to get basic ol skeletor, and i never had a regular he man but some shitty one with silver armor that made noise

I couldnt get shit for heman toys as a kid, so my mom ordered me a ton of the one from the old show off ebay

Because you can't have original MOTU art, without the first and greatest Master, Alfredo Alcala.

i had this it was the coolest
the teeth were rubber if i remember correctly

>alien post apocalyptic
Like Adventure Time?

That's one aspect.

Immagine a world ravaged by wars between barbarians, wizards, warlords, gods, in order to gain controll of the greatest power in the universe. Immagine a world with snake men and goblins fighting not only with swords and axes but also with laser guns. Immagine a world where cyborg dinosaurs live side by side with dragons, giants and any kind of mythical creatures. Immagine having together the worlds created by Howard, Kirby, Burroughs, Tolkien, Lukas, Miller all in one. This is the Masters of the Universe.

If I remember correctly, He-Man's mother and Evil Lynn were astronauts from Earth and they crash-landed on Eternia. Evil Lynn used her knowledge of physics to become a powerful sorceress. He-Man's mom married the king of Eternia, gave birth to Adam and Adora and never did anything interesting ever again.

Thanks! This may be my new wallpaper.

He-Man's mother Marlena is an Earth astronaut. But not Evil-Lyn. There was an intention in the first scripts, before the action figure or anything else came out, that she and Trap-Jaw where on board in the same spaceship with Marlena, but it was never became official canon. In the 80's media, Evil-Lyn was never explored, until the 2002 animated series revealed that she was an Eternian witch, daughter of the Faceless One (pic related), an ancient immortal wizard and lord of Zalesia an ancient Eternian city state, who fell in love with Keldor before he became Skeletor.

youtube.com/watch?v=2Vo6YG9U_o8
youtube.com/watch?v=WddpkmW2hBQ
youtube.com/watch?v=sufovqGQafY

>I heard they were planning NOT to put skeletor in the new movie because they want to build him up like thanos

But MOTU's Thanos is Hordak (or maybe Horde Prime if you wanna go that route)

That;s the guy you build up, and then force He-Man and Skeletor to join forces.

That said though, if they made the movie with KELDOR and the build up was to him transforming into Skeletor, that could be GOAT. Especially if they built up Adam's transformation, and had the two mirror each other

>franchise only has a fanbase of insane reactionary men and women in their 40s and 50s who declare anything done after 1987 to be heresy

Doesn't this describe fans of all the major toy based series?

TMNT, Transformers, GI:Joe, Thundercats, any of them

Stop drinking that hot cup of piss you smug Luthor.

You're thinking of the original concept of Beast Man. He was an astronaut on Marlena's ship that fell into a jungle when the ship crashed and he was mutated.

The huge hardcover collection of the mini comics can be found less than $20 on Amazon. It's freaking magical and weird to see how the franchise morphed so much over such a relatively short amount of time.
Like everybody having a battle cat, Skelator being a multi-dimensional conqueror and living in Greyskull, Sorceress looking like Teela's toy and all that

Strangely, it makes sense for the skull faced man to live in the skull castle, while the snake themed people like Teela and early Sorceress lived in the snake themed one.

Grayskull always looked really evil-ish for a hero place.

If they make another Heman movie I want it to be another 80's Conan fest.

youtube.com/watch?v=vOsHoqhbUIU

Having it take place on Eternia and not some suburb in Kentucky would be a huge improvement.

You think it would be easy, Eternia is 99% desert anyway so just take the cameras about 40 minutes outside LA and start filming out there with robot horses and monster people.

Chris Pratt would play He-Man (complete with dance-offs & 80s references) and Skeletor would be played by Adam Sandler (since it is Sony), Will Ferral could play Man-At-Arms or Fisto and Jim Carey would provide the voice of Cringer while Peter Dinklage would play Orko and the movie would be a tongue-in-cheek comedy for the most part since the producers at Sony would be too terrified to take the source material seriously: "From the studio that brought you the Smurfs comes..."

Jim Carey wouldn't be Orko?

Or also provide the voices for Two-Bad and Sinkor?

>the movie would be a tongue-in-cheek comedy for the most part since the producers at Sony would be too terrified to take the source material seriously

All the rest of what you said aside, this wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

MOTU is ridiculous already. And if it's played for laughs, that increases the chances of seeing Mekaneck and Snout Spout in the film.

That's what's great about MOTU, you can really go either way with it.

Of course, I do acknowledge that in practice, the humor would more likely come from typical drivel and nostalgia pandering rather than being genuinely clever. Which is a shame.

There is not Thanos's MOTU. There is only the top dog. Hordak killed Horde Prime. Skeletor killed Hordak. Skeletor is the top dog of MOTU.

Nope it's not. Skulls and snakes are just religious symbols in the MOTU mythos.

MOTU is not ridiculous at all. It'e an epic cosmic fantasy. Do not be confused with the crap that it is the Failmation artoon.
If they do something ridiculous it will tank really hard since this is not Disney to pay have good reviews for mediocre movies.

Nope all the Evil Warriors in one of the early MOTU concepts were supposed to be astronauts from Earth. But when the first official canon came this plot was abbandoned.