WAAAAHHHH WHY WASN'T IT A HAPPY ENDING WAHHH!?

>WAAAAHHHH WHY WASN'T IT A HAPPY ENDING WAHHH!?

You faggots need to grow up.
Bittersweet ending where hero wins but also loses is the best kind of ending.

The ending was shit altogether.

It was amazing, and I say that as someone who strongly disliked the season as a whole.

it was the wrong bittersweet though

Jack should have defeated Aku and stayed in the future, the bittersweet part being that he failed to return and save his people, but in the end he still saved the world

No one here is complaining about the bittersweet ending other than militant ashifags, most people are complaining about the shit execution.

This.

Thread is bad and you should feel bad.

Friendly reminder that refusing to engage in ad hominem and strawman based arguments will make Sup Forums a better place

I don't find it bad because it's unhappy, I find it bad because it raises more questions than it answers.

I just felt bad that throughout the entire series they never once mention the fact that going back in time and killing Aku will erase everyone Jack has met from Existence. That includes the Scottsman and all of his daughters.

The ending was so sad. It still breaks me up. Like I can't think about it without going into a fit of tears. Atleast Jack will always have her memory.
Now that that is said when will the long awaited movie that Genndy wanted to do for Samurai Jack so we can bring Ashi back?

Reminder - In Samurai Jack there are actual Gods and afterlives

Instead of letting his family and kingdom rest in peace and bringing the age in which he has new friends and family into a new Aku-free era, he just delete button'd them into unexistence (worse than death)

I liked it.

I said it in another thread, but she knew she would die, doing what she did, but I thought that restoring the world to the beauty he thought he'd never experience again as her last gift to him was incredibly romantic. At least that's how I saw it.

I feel SJ excels more in its visual storytelling than its dialogue, and the ending scene under the tree with the ladybug was really beautiful, and I thought it highlighted the beauty of his world as Ashi's--and his future allies'--gift to him.

I'm torn up too, but having Ashi come back would completely ruin whatever investment the remaining Ashi-fans have in her.

Have a comfy Jashi pic instead.

will you forget her, Sup Forums?

>but she knew she would die, doing what she did
There was never any indication at any point before her death that she knew that.

I think she suspected it--she has a sad look on her face going through the portal, despite it being a moment of triumph.

That wasn't a sad look. She had the exact same look as Jack. That is a "We finally did it" look.

If she knew she was going to die why the fuck did she plan the whole wedding or even go through the portal with jack in the first place?

No one is complaining that it wasn't a "happy" ending. People are complaining about the garbage writing and how terribly predictable this shit was from a mile away. People called her death from the god damn start.

The finale was a contrived forced piece of shit that only Genndy fanboys can possibly make themselves like. There is nothing worse when an writer tries to force "bittersweet" endings when they is incapable of writing in such a way that will make the audience emotionally attached to the characters regardless of the writing. People have cried at happy endings too, because they feel connected to the characters and are happy for them, alot of these times these endings match the tone of the story and makes sense, even if they are sad.

This ending? I felt nothing. The whole Season 5 was Genndy trying to build up this donut Steel OC plot device character which he inevitably killed at the end to gather some sympathy for Jack. Amateurish writing and completely predictable. It was fucking bad, the whole god damn thing was terrible.

Consider suicide you retard.

name an unpredictable SJ episode

Chicken Jack

>TFW no Verbina x Jack
>Or any screentime

Only royal blood allowed

Jack and The gangsters desu

Yes, that is the exact same face Jack had. Eyebrows down, slight smile.

Wait, people bitch about that? I thought that shit was obvious to happen. Killing past Aku = no future Aku = no Aku sperm for the cult = no Ashi.

Trust me I do math and time travel.

Sup Forums doesn't like an ending unless it's precisely the ending they want.

>If she knew she was going to die why the fuck did she plan the whole wedding or even go through the portal with jack in the first place?

Assuming bad writing isn't the reason I'd guess it's because she just wanted one last final moment with Jack before she disappeared, but then it never happened, and it kept never happening to the point where she might have thought she was in the clear. Then when it did happen she only had enough time to dump some exposition before disappearing.

Literally my only problem with the ending is that the time paradox somehow decided to wait until Jack's wedding to kick in, instead of it happening instantly when Aku died. It's disgustingly cheap melodrama that I'd expect from a fanfiction-writer.

This.

The final act was a lackluster rushed with loose ends.

Nobody cares if the ending was happy or not. It was pure shit. The moment Ashi entered the scene Samurai Jack got ruined.

This is the work of fucking Genny "savior of western animation" Tartakovsky. He can't write for shit.

First two episodes were great because they were like old SJ, but more matured. They didn't have almost any dialogue, maybe only inner Jack thoughts It was all about visual storytelling that Genndy was actually good at. But then he forced a retarded romance with a girl that has personality of a fucking rock.

It's fiction. It exists to maintain the drama.
Besides, it's using an older model of time travel that is almost literally "ain't gotta explain shit" as far as how the effects of a paradox play out.

>Bad writing is allowed if it maintains drama in a story

Bravo

>Previously mortal enemies
>Literally knows her for a week or so
>ASHI I LOVE YOU

Into the trash it goes

>best ending.
There's no such thing as an overall best ending and I'm honestly getting tired of the "le bittersweet" meme.

I didn't care for Ashi all that much, but I think after 50 years of misery jack earned his waifu, and him being unable to get his prize, along with the general rushed feeling and execution, is what made the finale feel lesser than what it could have been.

>Ashi vanishes due to time paradox
>while Jack is immune to time paradox

that was the biggest fuck up of the series.
also, the whole pacing that episode was shit. Could've put another episode before the end to not bash tension highs and lows together so much.

bitter-sweet ending nice and all, but the shittiest execution I've seen so far

Forget the haters, post yfw mondobot rips off akus antlers

That wasn't my problem with the ending. My problem with the ending was that it was insanely rushed. The pacing was all borked. All the right narrative beats were there but they weren't dwelled on nearly enough.

Didn't like Ashi huh?

Who?

Because clearly they traveled all the way from the Samurai graveyard to the desert in a week.

Or any other downtime between episodes

And Jack never hated her, either

It ended too fast. There was no time for goodbyes. Also the way Ashi disapeared was almost comical. Should have either disapeared right after jack killed Aku or more slowly fade away in his arms as she whispered "i love you" or some shit

I liked the ending

It's called robo samurai
I loved it when he wailed on aku non stop

Are you lost? Sup Forums is a site for people with taste and critical thinking abilities, and you clearly have neither if you can't see why Samurai Jack's ending was absolute garbage.

I don't think I'm alone when I say that real fans would have preferred no ending at all to the shitshow that was S5.

Why the fuck did Genndy feel the urge to shoehorn in a roastie Mary Sue GURLPOWA? Does he hate us? Does he hate himself? I'll bet his shrew feminazi wife has tricked him into hating men.

>tfw too many X chromosomes leads to mental retardation

What are you talking about i cheered like my team just won the superbowl when i saw Ashi die.

Only way the ending could have been better is if it was Jack murdering that show ruining whore himself.

>Bittersweet ending where hero wins but also loses is the best kind of ending.- 43 posts and 10 image replies shown.
nah, only edgy faggots think that way.

Man just have Jack and Ashi *KNOW* that going back to the past will have that consequence.

It's a melodramatic dick punch when you don't telegraph it, but if the heroes choose to give up on their happy ending for the greater good then that's actually bittersweet.

>should

GOTTA GET BACK
NOW THE FOOL SEEKS TO RETURN TO THE PAST

You're a fucking idiot who can't even follow the basic premise of the show.

Agreed. I don't think anyone who's watched the show from the beginning expected a 100% happy ending, so Ashi was a forgone conclusion. When you have a major plot point that's a forgone conclusion, execution is paramount. The writing missed the mark by several feet in that regard.

it was the right ending for jack

he was all about self sacrifice

there was really no way he could have his cake and eat it too

I'm retarded for only realizing this now but Aku got the last laugh even after being destroyed. Jack was finally about to marry Ashi and BAM she dies because of Aku.
Has there ever been a main character getting cucked this hard by a villain?

>People called her death from the god damn start.
>Heads
>Called it
Dumb argument.

>There is nothing worse when an writer tries to force "bittersweet" endings when they is incapable of writing in such a way that will make the audience emotionally attached to the characters regardless of the writing.
Fair argument.
But the beauty of writing is that something can be made your own with just a minor tweak in one of the many elements that come together to make a story.
Some stories aren't character driven, and while that's a sin against god, it doesn't necessarily mean it's a poor story according to "the golden standard". It just means it's a different recipe that doesn't speak to you the same way it does to someone else.

Writing, as in all communication, isn't about saying things a certain way, it's about delivering meaning, message, or intent.

Unless you know for certain what the meaning, message, or intent is, you can't say it's bad writing.

I for one, believe that this story was about Samurai Jack's final portal to the past. I believe it delivered on that, although a bit rushed in the end.

Whether or not the focus of the story was a good choice is up for debate.

>"Dumb argument"
>Trying to defend this garbage writing

That part wasn't really an argument, it was mention an common observation. It was the execution that that was the point of saying that. But please, your entire post comes off as pretentious fortune cookie nonsense.You're doing a poor job at trying to defend this writing by trying to explain what writing "is all about".

Genndy already made his intent clear before the start of the season and it was he wanted to make the viewer "cry" and have a bitter sweet ending. Thats it. Instead it left alot of us, confused annoyed and angry that Genndy resorted to fanfic tier of writing to try and get a emotion out of the audience.

That is BAD writing, because it was executed HORRIBLY. There are shows who pulled off MORE in less episodes!

The worst part of s5 was that it was two disjointed ideas that felt like it was maybe 6 episodes instead of 10.

>You faggots need to grow up.
>Bittersweet ending where hero wins but also loses is the best kind of ending.
No, the ending where writer understands the basis of time travel are the best kinds of ending

>That part wasn't really an argument, it was mention an common observation
The word argument has multiple meanings, one of which covers your latter description.

Which is my central point. You're attempting to reduce writing to a central standard with no level of nuance. A very binary, reduced way of thinking.

For instance, you insist I'm solely defending the writing, when I myself made an attack against it, albeit personal and opinion based.

I'm attacking your nihilistic view on writing. And I expect you to defend it. Because science is not about proving yourself right, it's about trying to prove yourself wrong.

>Genndy already made his intent clear before the start of the season and it was he wanted to make the viewer "cry"
This, for instance, would be a great way to prove me "wrong". Now do it. Where does this occur?

It's actually the most overdone and cliche ending. Only enjoyed by milenials who have been exposed to it so much they think it should be the norm.

I remember when the heroes were allowed to just win.

Delet this.

>Bittersweet ending where hero wins but also loses is the best kind of ending.
That all depends on how it's executed and which kind of story you are telling.
In what respects to Samurai Jack, I agree with you in that a bittersweet ending was the most fitting. Jack's entire goal was tangled with sacrifice of something he appreciated. Now, the execution, while flawed, was still pretty great, and it left me with a good taste in my mouth.

>"I'm sorry Jack, but I have to go back to my home planet"

wow, Ashi was from space?

Jacks destiny has changed multiple times throughout the show. Maybe you should open your mind just a fucking slit so you can realize that actually going back to the past makes his entire journeys lessons redundant.

It would have been bittersweet, but mainly for him and not so much for the audience because, let's be honest, we're nowhere near as attached to the past as Jack was. We've come to enjoy the future much more. However, and despite the antiashifags, we've been with Ashi for as long as Jack has, so her loss is (intended to be at least) as significant to us as it is to Jack.

Every single opening kind of dropped that bit of info, user.
"UNDO THE FUTURE THAT IS AKU". I say it was pretty explicit.

stop pretending like s5 was nuanced at all. It wasn't. The characters don't even understand what going back to the past even means.

Drama and melodrama aren't the same thing.

It's unnatural for the characters to my give a shit that they're going to cease to exist. It's bad writing.

Also, even though every episode dropped that, Jack sacrifices going back to the past for moral reasons almost every time, often on the behalf of a character that isn't going to exist soon enough anyway.

Bad. Fucking. Writing.

>But the beauty of writing is that something can be made your own with just a minor tweak in one of the many elements that come together to make a story.
Or, as was the case here, you can just steal from a ten year old series.

It was just bitter. Our lord and master Aku is dead forever and this stupid autist gets to go back home and be a king and die fuck!

Let's be honest, Sup Forums is a vile place for people who get satisfaction out of hate. Just take a look at Sup Forums.

It's not really self sacrifice without conscious choice.

>This entire fucking post

First off, I want to thank you for the hearty chuckle. But I'm going to have to stop you at "Binary". You argument is so poor that you have resorted to attempting to "attack" the way I (and many others) observe stories, which is not relevant to the conversation at hand.

Infact, the majority of everything you wrote like you mentioned is "attacking my view on writing". Completely irrelevant. So I have no reason to even entertain that, but I will provide your proof, and the fact this was mentioned at a live interview with Genndy himself.

I never said it was.

>Jack sacrifices going back to the past for moral reasons almost every time, often on the behalf of a character that isn't going to exist soon enough anyway.
Now that is the question. What did they mean by this?

>No, the ending where writer understands the basis of time travel are the best kinds of ending
Science itself barely understands time travel; do you expect a writer of works of fiction to do so? Every story with time travels makes up their own set of rules. In Genndy's set, time needs a while to catch up with paradoxes and time travelers that belong in a specific timeline are immune to those paradoxes when within their original timeline.

Every time Jack has sacrificed a chance to go back he's been called out on it. That's just the way he was, an idealistic fool. That's why Ashi made the choice to take him back for him.

Which means that causality can go fuck itself.
Which means predetermined outcome by some higher deity which is huge dickhead for ever coming up with shit like Aku

the only ending that would've been satisfying would be if Jack didn't go back.

I think Aku just formed itself when the universe began. He's like Ra or God in that regard; he began existing out of his own conscious.

I would have preferred that ending, but you must be high if you think that wouldn't have left another side of autists unsatisfied.
>GOTTA GO BACK. What did Genndy mean by this?
>HE STAYS IN THE FUTURE? WHAT A HACK!

but predetermined outcome means somebody had to determine that outcome.

Just because a character wants something doesn't mean he should always get it.

I think Samurai Jack proved time and time again that there's really nothing set in stone. Just look at the Guardian's prophecy. You could get glimpses of possible futures, but never be certain of them.

Again, I agree; I would have loved it if Jack had stayed in the future, but alas, it did not happen. What I meant is that either Jack returned to the past or not a shitstorm would have come upon the finale no matter what.

>series uses blood in first couple of episodes
>final battle with the God of evil is a goofy brawl where nobody is shown impaled except some robots

I thought the show said it was going past that?

I don't really care that the ending was somber. I just hate that the way they opted to involve time travel undermines huge portions of its own narrative.

>Jack ready to kill himself because he thought he failed to save one more group of innocent children
>goes back to the past, kills Aku, and changes the future so drastically that those same kids probably never even existed in the first place, rendering their previous lives and deaths meaningless

And somehow Jack was teleported to future where nonexistent spawn of by then nonexisten Aku got impressed by nonexistent good deeds to nonexistent victims of nonexistent crimes decides to TP Jack back.

From the in-universe POV the outcome was set in stone on day zero

>WAAAAAHHH WHY DO THESE PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERENT OPINIONS THAN ME!?

It would've been a shitstorm with the series that we got (love story garbage we've all seen before) but if we got a series that was closer in tone with the first 3 episodes and delved into more mature topics I don't think people would've complained jay he wasn't able to go back.

rip in peace frogmen

Fucking this

I wish I could be as optimistic, but no, people here just love to have something to shit on. They would have complained either way.

What I can't get out of my head is that he denied all those people a chance at the afterlife(which is canon in SJ). Everyone from the past could have looked down from the afterlife with pride at him repairing the future.

the monk episode just makes me fucking mad looking back at it now

This show has now zero rewatch value
Oh look Jack helping out all these characters that will never exist now

there were ways for the current ending to work too, but the writers just said "fuck it" so we are stuck with what we have.

Still, isn't that the nature of a hero? Someone who prolongs you life even if at the end you're going to die anyway?

If that's the case then Jack is no hero, since he had the choice to stay and rebuild an akuless future.

I don't think he did. Ashi just pushed him into the past the moment she had the chance, no questions asked. I think even Jack had trouble processing what was going on until he realized he was in the portal.

Will Jack?

I'm afraid he will.

In Japanese story telling, a happy ending is often the main hero losing their loved one but coming to terms that they will see them again in the afterlife.

Also in many cultures ladybugs are seen as messengers of lost loved ones.

Not the happy ending i wanted, but i still liked it.

what a dumb bitch