Would anyone like to see Marvel try again with the Ultimate universe?

Would anyone like to see Marvel try again with the Ultimate universe?

I liked everything it was supposed to be. In a sense, the MCU is filling that void.
>updating classic characters to fit into our world
>an interconnected, ongoing story, everything feels like it's a part of the same universe
>time passes on a much faster scale
>events are rare and an actual big deal, the Avengers don't just assemble for every minor thing

Other urls found in this thread:

comicsbeat.com/titling-at-windmillls-259-what-the-hell-is-wrong-with-marvel-comics-anyway/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I loved Ultimate Spider-man.
It's just that they made the others edgy and murderous.

Cannibal Blob.

Wanted them to retry something in the same spirit. Maybe release graphic novels this time around, make it easier to have time pass and feels more "cinematic".

Then DC tried and fell into the trap of making everything edgy.

only if I get to write Spider-Man

MCU Cap is an IRL Cap done right. Not whatever the "Do you think this A stands for France" edgelord was.

He's not a perfect, "America prevails!" demigod like early 616, he's just a realistically nice dude.

That's why Ultimate Spider-Man is perfect. Peter feels like a real teen with real problems. Sometimes, he's selfish, makes mistakes because of ego. Sometimes he's confused and lost. But at his core, he's a kid who wants to do the right thing. I feel like if it was written later in the the project, Ultimate Peter would be an emo teen addicted to crack who steals money from the people he saves for his next hit.

I wouldn't care about it but making a line just for movie casuals would be a good idea.

Extremely loose continuity, each story basically starts where the movies have left off but doesn't explicitly reference those events.

Visually and characterization-wise everything reflects the movies, but they can introduce characters that otherwise probably wouldn't get into the movies, with "grounded" designs.

Every series is a six-issue mini. They reference each other but outside of the Avengers and team books there is no explicit overarching narrative: just like the movies you don't have to see any other one to understand the plot of the current one.

Again, most fans wouldn't care about this and would just read the regular comics. This is for moviefags and people who can't be arsed to keep up with a series.

>an interconnected, ongoing story, everything feels like it's a part of the same universe
>time passes on a much faster scale
>events are rare and an actual big deal, the Avengers don't just assemble for every minor thing
That's a terrible idea. If you're having to keep track of continuity and events you might as well just buy the main universe titles.

Continuity scares casuals. That's what killed the Ultimate universe; eventually there was so much continuity there wasn't any point to it.

Not making Ultimate Clint into Ult. Bullseye after the death of his family was wasted potential. Marvel went as far as making his costume Bullseye-esque with the forehead emblem, why not the whole way?

Remember this is the guy that killed a whole room with just his fingernails and was using cutlery to kill soldiers right before being captured.

MC2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ultimate Universe

Probably never. Alt worlds don't sell at marvel anymore.

Well maybe if they tried to create something radically different to sell it, it could be successful

I mean, if Injustice could do it, there's no reason Marvel couldn't do the same.

Unless of course, Marvel Entertainment is too squeamish to try anything too drastic with their IPs

They tried everything under the sun. And what once sold never does anymore.

Spidey and rnv arent big sellers. Neither was xmen 92.

The best chance is putting alt reality characters in the main line.

Also ultimate was their longest imprint line, even then sales went down eventually. From a level to b level.

It's not always creators either.

Neither RYV or X-men 92 are new concepts. Just standard pandering and regurgitation from Marvel.

Granted, "Evil Superman" as a concept isn't new either, but the way it's presented is. RYV is still set in a familiar version of the Marvel Universe and 92 is pretty much a virtual successor of the old X-men cartoon.

Everything new you think it is, has been done before. Marvel did evil superman and so did dc.

What going on is the same thing in video games where scmhups and fighting games to lesser extent have lost appeal. Alt realitys in marvel comics don't have appeal when for a while in the quesada era they did.

Dc comics alternative worlds are media based, tv or video games. While alt earths in comics only get some exposure. Earth 2 is gone and so is Justice Leauge 3000.

The earth one line isn't regular publishing while sold to non floppy chasing fans.

There's wildstorm but it's not really having any alts from dc. Who knows if dark matter sells.

Didio and Joe quesada would rather focus on the main reality mostly.

It would work for a decade, until they decide that there are not enough readers and the continuity is inaccessible to newcomers. What I would love is an ongoing Elseworld-type thing consisting of 12 or so issues (the way the first two "Ultimates" volumes were structured worked for me). DC came close with the All-Star line (focus on creative teams telling stories outside of continuity) but they never followed through with it.

It's called the MCU.

I think a lot of how the early books turned out is down to the main creators, Bendis and Mark Millar.

For all his faults, I wouldn't call Bendis an edgy writer, or at least keeps the edge to appropriate books like Daredevil and his crime stuff. While Millar is a high ranking Edgelord Wizard.

>Would anyone like to see Marvel try again with the Ultimate universe?
No point with the current regime.

I remember picking up UXM because I really didn't care for Decimation and the whole "all 198 mutants on the planet are now living in a ( very nice ) concentration camp storyline.

Almost immediately they had a "cure" introduced and ... decimated the mutants down to like a dozen. Who were sent to live on a reservation. In the middle of a desert apparently so the artist wouldn't have to bother with ever drawing a background.

Because: House of Recycled Ideas.

The correct way to do it, imho, would be to have an X-Men line that was completely disconnected from the later Marvelverse because the fact that people who get powers from Cosmic Radiation and turn into rock monsters or human bonfires are treated like Heroes and given the keys to the city while people who have the EXACT SAME POWERS/APPEARANCE due to an X-Gene ( or being Of Inhuman Decent ) are pariahs makes exactly zero fucking sense.

Also: most of the blowback they're getting due to HydraCap and the fact that they've raceswapped/genderbent all of their Big Names currently could have been completely avoided if they'd just launched an Ultimate style verse instead. No one gets bent out of shape about the shenanigans in Injustice for the very reason that it's an Elseworld.

But then being mind-numbingly tone deaf to their own fanbase seems to be Marvel's current stock and trade.

comicsbeat.com/titling-at-windmillls-259-what-the-hell-is-wrong-with-marvel-comics-anyway/

I fucking wish we'd gotten the Ultimate Iron Man armor in the MCU. But I suppose it doesn't evoke the classic look and feel of the character to the degree that the Adi Granov suits do.

The Homecoming suit has its colour scheme, but is still the same as all the previous MCU suits outside that.

>In a sense, the MCU is filling that void.
Wrong. The UU was edgy shit, the MCU is meme shit.

Millar, Bendis, and Hickman did some good work in Ultimate Universe

there was also a lot of edgy early-2000's type of shit that felt like it was trying too hard to be cool, like the 2000's version of the X-TREME 90's, and that stuff is just kind of laughable

And don't get me started on all the death and edge shit. It got so bad it was almost like a black comedy. And this is the real reason Ultimate couldn't really continue: They killed off about half of the main characters

Sure.

Have a cataclysmic thing that, while trying to receate the Ultimate universe, actually splits the Ultimate Universe's timeline into two universes. One contains all (or nearly all) of Bendis' USM but the Ultimates are replaced by MCU Avengers and so their adventures are different or have to be modified. This works for Bendis because then he can have his books sell on the basis that they have similarities to the films, and he can push Miles here more effectively rather than being hindered by multiple Spider-characters. Also depending on how much the Fantastic Four got used in USM (I know Johnny was a regular supporting character for a while) he can also recreate the Fantastic Four his way if he wants instead of doing the 616 version. I assume he can also do the same with the X-Men and just focus on Kitty, Iceman and whoever else he used in USM.

The other universe is Millar's Ultimates, and Millar gets to choose whether Ultimatum happened or not and continue on from there if he wants. And if he doesn't want to, allow other writers to go widescreen edgelord on this universe if they want with the multiple cataclysmic stuff or whatever.