ITT: Directors who had promising starts but turned to be huge disappointments

ITT: Directors who had promising starts but turned to be huge disappointments

starting with the obvious

Nolan

Gay

Am I the only one that like the village? Or at least the first half...

Hackson

Neil Blomkamp

/thread

Real answer.
I haven't watched his other films besides star wars, I only really like the first two anyways.

he made some kino: The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs,The Village and then he went to shit but now he's recovering

pleb snyder

I think we lost the war on Big Fat.

I liked Split.
It serves as an interesting contrast to Unbreakable that it links itself too, and a third movie that ties the two together could be pure kino.
>A man that seems unable to die fights a man who is a literal beast inside.

My thoughts on split were that it's the kind of movie I would've loved when I was 14. Not being 14, the whole premise and philosophy behind it was just super cringe.

Girl was hot though.

True

This
What the fuck happened. He came out of nowhere, salvaged together tiny amount of funds and resource from a failed Halo movie plan, and made the best movie of that summer and best sci fi movie of the year. District 9 had everyone question the possibility of a Blomkamp movie with high budget and resources. He got exactly that and churn out nothing but medicore shits for years. District 9 didn’t even get a sequel even when it ends with a sequel bait. However, that might be a good thing consider his recent records

Yeah, saying it was in the unbreakable universe kinda felt like a cop out for dumb science or whatever. But that ending with Bruce Willis gave me the strongest emotional reaction in a movie theater in 2017.

nah man, one of my favorite movies despite it's flaws

He's a guy with one really good idea, that he polished up for years, and eventually had success with.

Guy's a one hit wonder.

Richard Kelly and Kevin Smith, even though I like both of them

elysium it's good fite me

you take that back, Shyamalan is experiencing a career renaissance.

I just hope Glass isn't shit

What I do like though is that the next film is called Glass. So maybe a lot of the movie will be from Mr. Glass' POV, as an orchestrator/observer.

>Split
>Unbreakable

Pleb number one

>Best CGI on cinema until now
>fucking Sharlto Copley
>fucking Die Antwoord

Pleb number two

Elysium was one of the most garbage movies I've ever seen.

It tries to have some message, but its plot is so badly thought out, it's completely laughable.

the village is my favourite love story ever

newsweek just can't catch a break

>But that ending with Bruce Willis gave me the strongest emotional reaction in a movie theater in 2017.
Uh, you do realize that it was the worst part of the movie, right?
The dialogue was so fucking hamfisted.
They didn't need to have Bruce Willis say anything and beat us over the head with it, just show him watching the news or some shit.

No, I like it too up until the ending. It's weird. I didn't expect it...but when it happened I was like, "Huh, well makes sense". Wasn't a mind-blower like Bruce being the ghost or Jackson being the super-villain.

maybe you didn't understand the movie

Y'all remember "the happening" lmao

I understand the movie operated on childlike logic.

The Earth is shit, but it's shit because all the rich people living in space are ruining it. >:(

They have the special magic device that can literally heal a man's blown off face, and they don't even attempt to sell its applications to the citizens on Earth, even though that's 90% of the reason Elysium has people trying to break into it.

It's okay though! By the end, the one last ounce of structured human civilization is destabilized by a bunch of terrorists, who then proceed to distribute the magic healing pods to people on Earth.

Also, the people on Elysium had entire armadas of mobile space healing pods just sitting in air hangers. They weren't using them for anything. They were just jerks.

>uhhh hey remember that unrelated serial killer from 15 years ago? Didn't he also have a nickname?
I agree, easily worst part of the movie

I still can't believe no one tried to stop him when he told the cast/crew the cause of the suicide.

I can just picture how M Night was in a field somewhere once...listening to the sound of the wind blowing through the trees...pretty much the calmest thing a human being can experience and going "Oh yeah, well I'm going to make everyone fucking TERRIFIED of that!"

> I've somehow managed to delude myself into thinking that absolute trash is good enough and call those who disagree plebs
Sucks to be you

The movie just un-ironically and explicitly made for "open border is good" and "free healthcare for everyone".
>but muh different interpretation of the ending and consequence
It's nothing but Blomkampfag's damage control. If a movie has room for different interpretation, there are typically set up and hints and mood that allow such alternate interpretation. It's as bad as star wars fags claiming that there can be interpretation of the empire / sith being the good guys in the main movies.

Wachowski brothers

the happening is a homage to 50s weird science movies, people are just retarded, it was clearly meant to be goofy, you don't sit down and write the plastic plant scene with a straight face

I think you mean;
>he made some kino: The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable
>and an unremarkable movie: Signs
>and a really quite bad movie: The Village

Although that is a lot more wordy to say so I can kind of see why you might not have.

in 2000 i took my ex gf back then to watch the 6 sense, it was awful for me but she found it exciting and amazing, broke up with her 2 days later.

who?

The guys who directed The Matrix.

Came here to post this, Blomkamp can still direct some good film or be at least in charge of the special effects+costumes+CG, but he should never write nor choose his scripts.

Why does this faggot shave his beard all the way up to his chin? He looks like a Puerto Rican

you mean 'sisters'

>guys

He had a comeback with his last two films.

Let's see if he blows it all again.

The Village reaction that I had and seemed to be pretty common was;

>Oh, that was kinda shaky

It wasn't terrible, some people hated the ending...but you could definitely tell he was starting to lose his shit.

Then the whole mental breakdown, Lady In The Water thing happened and he was off in the wilderness for a while.

It's not unusual. There were articles back before No Country saying the Coen Brothers needed to retire (they did change things up a bit and have a break).

Don't forget Coppolla.

Split was the film that deserved the praise Get Out got.

Also McAvoy really should have been on the Oscar consieration lists.

He'd have to actually be retarded if he goes back to make the kind of crap he's been doing this past decade, it's more than enough time to realize he was filming garbage.

District 9 wasn't good.

I got shat on forever for criticizing it when it first came out, but all of the problems his subsequent films had were present in District 9, just not as noticeable. Blomkamp is a fucking awful writer and a messy director. If he worked with a good script and a creative producer, he'd be fantastic.

But he doesn't, so all we get is messes.

I assume he's talking about the ending everyone remembers (taking out the serial killer at the house) and forgetting the whole;

>Oh yeah btw I'm a serial killer how you doing
>fade to black
>"And then a bunch of stuff happened and Bruce put Mr. Glass in jail"

It could happen. This might have repaired his ego.

You have to remember this is the guy who literally wrote a book taking a giant turd on Disney and began crying and screaming in public because they wouldn't let him make his "And then the hero resuced mer-babe and shoved a red hot poker up the anus of the film critic, and the film critic finally admitted that the hero was truly a genius the whole time" movie.

Spike Lee
Sofia Coppola
Mary Harron
Richard Kelly
Snyder
Neveldine and Taylor