Is Samurai Jack the most selfish cartoon character?

Is Samurai Jack the most selfish cartoon character?

He knew that going back in time was going to delete everything that existed.

He was prepared to kill the Scotsman and all the people he helped just so he could live his original life.

Jack deleted all of the Scotsman's daughters, his "Pride and Joy" from existence.

Is Jack the real villain? To kill all these people that created an existence in despite of Aku?

Other urls found in this thread:

streamable.com/3jsad
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>was jack selfish
You know that everyone hated Aku and wanted Jack to go back and finally kill him, right? They knew that they'd be gone if Jack succeeded in his goal but they didn't care so long as the future will actually be bright.

He also stopped millions from dying under aku's reign, you dunce.

>>You know that everyone hated Aku and wanted Jack to go back and finally kill him, right?
Except they didn't. The Scotsman wanted him to marry one of his daughters.

Aku was stuck in his tree doing nothing.

Aku just killed every one that came to save Jack.

He made their deaths matter

Nigga how many millions did ali slaughter for humans to be a rare sight in the future and most of the world living in fear of punishment,preventing tens of thousands of years of evil is not a selfish thing

Most of those people never existed now.

>streamable.com/3jsad

Fan edited ending("the good ending")

And instead milllions of other people will get to live not under the rule of pure evil.

t. Aku

The Scotman is a retard. They had literally just watched a broadcast saying "Jack wants to go back in time and kill me" and they all turned up to help

Aku didn't actually slaughter anyone. The only confirmed kill he has is the Scottsman, and the Scottsman came to Akus house and attacked him so it was more self defense than anything.

We don't even know that,All jack did was prevent aku from enslaving the earth and inviting aliens in the future,whether dogs still evolve to talk or Aliens show up can still happen,except with no evil wizard enslaving everything

>Nigga how many millions did ali slaughter

I know exactly what you meant to type but this was really funny.

This cheesy as bullshit is even worse than the horseshit ending we did get.

That doesn't invalidate that millions of other people never got to live at all.

Considering what he did to Japan when he first took over and the state of jacks village when he returned,are you really certain Aku NEVER killed any humans in his thousands of year rule

It's a net gain.

Jack repeatedly put others before his quest to go back. Ashi is effectively the one who made the decision for him. It seemed to be conveyed from her expression that she knew that doing so might kill her, but she knew that if Jack knew that, he wouldn't go through with it.

Everyone Jack touched was willing to make the ultimate sacrifice for him. They wouldn't have rushed to attack Aku if they weren't.

In episode 9, Jack said that he was sure that he would never see the beauty of the past world again. Making the world beautiful for him again was Ashi's final gift to him.

It's just so shitty that SO MANY episodes were about the people in the future knowing about Jack, getting help by Jack, Jack being their only hope and now they just never exist.

>if you live a life of hardship but rise up despite that your existence is worthless
>only the pampered lucky few born under peaceful times are worth allowing to exist

Bravo, Gendy's done it again, what a magnificent bastard.

You talk as if he was Barry Allen. He didn't go back just to save his parents or his castle, he went back to save the entire world. Billions enslaved, tortured and killed by Aku for shits and giggles. Also, they helped him because he stopped himself several times from going back to the past when they needed him in the present/future (The monks, the archers). He only went back after Aku had killed most of them.

You think the archers, the scotsman, genuine heroes on their own right, would be so selfish as to deny Jack the possibility of setting the course of history right? To prefer their existance fighting and hiding from Aku, while countless unfortunate innocents are ravaged by monsters and criminals, over the possibility of a better life?

Stopping Aku takes priority over everything. If Jack has a chance to stop him, past or future, he has to take it.

Also, any attempt to moralize casualties in a time travel scenario is bullshit anyway. You don't kill Hitler, millions of people die. You kill Hitler, millions of people don't die but millions more are never born or die in a different way. People are gonna cease to be, there's no way around it. All you can do is stop the Ancient Oil Demon/German Drug Addict and hope history sorts out better.

But those billions lived their lives and died. Deleting the potential future didn't stop them from experiencing it. It happened and was over.

None of those people mattered to Jack as much as some Aku-lite socially retarded pussy. He really was a selfish piece of shit.

>Save the entire universe from eldritch horror
>Get called a piece of shit by angry internet people

It's Man of Steel all over again.

Then everyone in the future lived their lives, deleting them didn't stop them from experencing it. It happened and was over.
I'm biting all hooks today but that's objectively wrong. He denied himself several times to save people in the future, such as the monks. Funnily enough, when he did that Sup Forums was like "Why didn't he just go to the past, he's so stupid!!!" and now that he did you're like "Wow he went to the past what an asshole"

This is considerably worse than MoS, given the history of the show.

>Then everyone in the future lived their lives, deleting them didn't stop them from experencing it. It happened and was over.
What do you think being removed from the timeline and not existing means? None of it ever happened.

>Stopping Aku takes priority over everything. If Jack has a chance to stop him, past or future, he has to take it.
Except Jack had opportunities in the previous seasons and didn't take them, because they would have meant abandoning people in need. He only actually went back when the choice was all but taken from him.

Jack may have slain the ultimate evil, but in the end he was revealed to be a selfish coward unable to take control of his own destiny, instead being manipulated and shuffled along the entire way by the very malevolent force he was setting out to destroy.

m8

Jack would have been absolutely content with staying in the future. He'd of just slain Future Aku then everyone would be able to live in the future world aku-free with Ashi.

Ashi was the one that took Jack back into the past. She knew full well that it would kill her, but Jack lamented the fact that "all I'll ever know of my home is just memories"

It was Ashi's gift to jack, to go back to the past and be with his family at the cost of her life that she was willing to do.

Ashi made the choice for Jack to go back because she knew he wouldn't do it

I know I never saw him kill anyone he wasn't defending himself from, and I believe in innocent until proven guilty.

>>it's selfish to stop a bad future since some of the survivors MIGHT not exist

Youre that nigger from other thread arent you? I want to tell you something, faggot. Jack isnt the selfish one; YOU are. Aku sent Jack centuries into the future and destroyed the world during that time. Millions, if not billions, if not trillions of people on earth and other planets suffered from Aku's reign. By the time Jack showed up, generations upon generations upon generations of people had lived under oppression, have suffered, or were exterminated. Ya, some people were better off, but most of the time it was because Jack saved them. Jack gave them a place to exist where Aku's negligent gaze wouldnt easily notice them. Before that, they were slaves, or worse.
You keep saying "muh friends" but you are ignoring the bigger picture. The happiness of the few are just an atom of a drop in the ocean of destruction Aku wrought to gain control of the planet. Jack's mission was always meant for a higher calling, meaning he had to put his objective over others if possible, but he never did. That is a part of his cheacter. He had several chances to go back to the past at the risk of others, and he shouldve, especially given the finale, but he didnt.
However, from a purely logistic standpoint, salvaging 500+ years and onwards of darkness is better than damning everyone in the past for your 50~ years of sparse nornality.
So no, Jack wasnt selfish for deleting everyone he had known for 50 years from existence to save the untold year's worth of people. You are selfish. You are putting your circle friends above the wellfare of everyone else. Aku wiped out most of them anyways with his black raining arrow shit, leaving only the Scottsman's girls. They all died for Jack so he could save the world. You would throw their sacrafices away just so Jack could also throw away his mission? Fuck you, user. Selfish prick.

seriously this is even worst,
a character introduced in the last season thinks she can just decide Jack's most important decision herself

Jack didn't know that changing the past would do what it did (obviously - look how shocked he is about Ashi). Every time someone stood to die for him to get back, he helped them instead. Even if they were willing to sacrifice themselves.

Even knowing that Aku's timeline was 'fake,' an anomaly that never should have been - even knowing that everyone he met would have better lives were he to change it all - I imagine that he wouldn't have been able to make the call.

Ashi made it and killed herself in the doing. But between her and Jack's heroism, billions won't suffer under Aku, and will probably be born into happy, prosperous lives (following the Back to the Future logic that Genndy used in Ego Trip). The only one who gets nothing is Ashi. Maybe. We dunno if her being erased rubbed out her soul, too.

Would you go back in time to kill Hitler to save a couple thousand Jews knowing the present would end up drastically different and many of the people you know wouldn't exist?

The tree is half a heart.

I know. If the answer to Aku's reign through thousands of years being deleted is "deleting it didn't stop them from experiencing it" (a contradiction) then I guess the same applies to those in the future. It's a flawed answer to a flawed observation.

Wait, doesn't that make Ashi history's greatest monster? I mean, she was the one who activated the time portal, Jack just tagged along with her to kill Aku in the past.

>aku wiped them out
Aku was defending himself, you prick.

Are you retarded?

It could also be interpreted as half of yin & yang

>Aku's life matters

Imagine a super Nuke goes off killing billions on earth and even damaging other countries,your one of the survivors who remembers when the world wasn't an awful shithole,people are dying of irradiation,starvation and conflict.Would it be selfish to go back in time and stop the nuke or better to stay in the future and began the in achievable task of fixing the damaged earth,you tell me

Just gets me in the gut, two parts of a whole divided almost as soon as they were joined.

>He knew that going back in time was going to delete everything that existed.
Where was this ever said? Jack probably didn't have much understanding of time travel given he was from an era that didn't even have the smallest inkling of such a concept yet.

>OP acting like one of Aku's Bill O'Reilly media white knights

>Jack killed Aku in the past thereby erasing the bad future

>MFW OP and his thread technically no longer exist.

I feel like Hitler might have done something else. World-something-2, I don't know, I'm pretty vague on the details.

if you go back immediately after the bombs go off it would be fine
if you wait several hundred years after humanity has recovered, started rebuilding, and tons of people have been born it would be bad

you have to go further back and stop the other countries from completely fucking over Germany after the first world war, some random other guy could have become hitler too, maybe even a better hitler that didn't waste his youth painting shitty pictures

He demonstrably doesn't know, because he doesn't even understand why Ashi is vanishing.

And why doesn't it? He's a person just like you and me, and definitely at least as much of a person as Ashi. They came to Akus home and attacked him. If they didn't want to die they shouldn't have brought a knife to a gunfight.

>Couple thousand jews

For the analogy to make sense, the amount of victims in the past would have to be much greater than the amount of people living in the future.
At the risk of being called retarded by Sup Forums for calling this subtle (fuck it, they probably didn't notice anyways) I wonder how many more bits of visual storytelling still haven't been pointed out.

If he did, he would know that Ashi was going to cease to exist.

>after humanity has recovered, started rebuilding, and tons of people have been born

That's not what Aku's future is.

Aku is not a person. He's more like a concept or a force of nature, a living void of blackness. That's like saying that Darkseid or morgoth are people.

>Aku was standing his ground

And it would be better if you went back before the bombs fell and stopped them, saving all those lives. There's no point in them falling.

Future doesn't exist until it happens, not to mention, you are assuming butterfly effect. There is nothing selfish in saving your country and your family from dying under rule of a demon. Stop being retarded.

Thankfully there's no-one else in this scenario who can become a better Aku.

Although, to be honest, I was sure Ashi was going to be the last remaining piece of Aku that Jack would need to destroy to finish him off for good. Surprised they went with the time paradox end instead of the evil surviving through a loved one ending.

Nigga, he was the literal embodiment of EVIL itself. Not only that, he was but a FRACTION of said evil, the rest having been gang raped by Odin, Vishnu, and Ra before it could consume all existence.

Maybe Aku had whimsy to him, but it didn't change the fact that he lived to be cruel and monstrous to others.

>delete

you mean save from a lifetime of tyranny at the hands of aku? i know these are all troll threads, but the idea that jack going back in time obliterates all the people he helped is stupid. they would still be born, just not in a world controlled by the living embodiment of evil.

Saving all those lives would create a drastically different future where most of the people born afterwards would never have existed and if any of them did manage to be born they would be so different they may as well be different people.

Guys.

Don't forget that just before future-Jack won, past-Aku flung past-Jack into the future again. So the NEW past-Jack has to be fighting the future-Aku now.

Why is no one talking about this?

And how are Darkseid and Morgoth not people?
That's like,the gods opinion though. The Aku we see as viewers has never killed or hurt anyone that didn't hurt him first. He is nice to the children, allows people to rave, and has created a booming economy with marvelous cities. All he asks in exchange are statues here and there from his subordinates.

It would have been interesting if someone had alerted Jack to the possibility of the future being wiped out. Maybe the old dog would propose the theory, giving Jack a pause to wonder if he should just eliminate Future-Aku and leave it at that. We could then have everyone tell him that they'd rather the future never exist, erasing all of Aku's influence even though it would mean giving up themselves as well.

I am hoping maybe that Genndy might throw together some alt. endings for the dvd release, it would be pretty fun to see what other things could have happened. Maybe an ending where the future still exists, and everyone memorializes Jack as their savior.

So not being born or being born in a different environment is worse than a millennia of torment and suffering of billions

Some people wouldn't exist. History would take a distinct path that wouldn't involve billions becoming refugees or trillions being enslaved and murdered. It seems probable that some, if not all, of the people who exist in Aku's future would not exist in Jack's new future.

I agree with you that OP is a giant troll,
I'm just saying that his impotent outrage and shitposting stem from an actual reasonable point, no matter how idiotic his extrapolation of that point may be.

I mean at no point in season 5 episode 10 was he not standing his ground. All those assholes came to his house. He never seeked out their homes and assaulted them during the episode. Their deaths would have been fully justified, and Aku didn't even kill most of them.

>That's like,the gods opinion though.
You fucking idiot. We SEE the evil consuming worlds and blotting out the space it attacks.

>The Aku we see as viewers has never killed or hurt anyone that didn't hurt him first
Bullshit. He killed the servants of Jack's father as they rode into the lands where Aku is born, and he was burning the entire country for his own amusement while Jack's father received the sword. Aku was cruel and ruthless, you can't deny this.

This is sounding like fucking Scrapper levels of denial.

Okay
But you should trade the lives of a few hundred thousand people for the lives of billions. Itd be selfish NOT to. Life being precious isnt argument when youre weighing less life against more life.
Those new people are gonna have to live with not existing, Im gonna get those other 4 billion people another chance at life and making new life.

Would you rather exist with the chance of a better future or not exist at all?

if they hated aku then jack shouldve killed aku in the future

Jack prevented thousands of years of Aku ravaging the earth to the point half the planet's remaining inhabitants appear to be robotic minions. The future where Aku's evil is LAW is broken beyond repair and has been a terrible place to live for centuries. Untold billions knew only slavery and death in the years between Jack's confrontation with Aku and his reemergence in the future. Jack saved all of their lives by finishing what he started. Given that Aku was slaughtering the resistance force that had rallied against him most of the people he helped died fighting for him to go back in time and save the world.

Jack saved every generation that has existed since he lost to Aku when he finally got back to the past. He did the right thing.

>nobody hurts my daughters!!
>oh except for you jack, go ahead and kill us all

>That's like,the gods opinion though.
I see where youre going with this, that the winners write history, yada yada. Fuck you though, and fuck Aku, the majority of people dont like him existing, so majority rules here and we get rid of Aku. Beetle bots dont count as votes. Even from the start of time it was 3v1, and that disparity has only grown since then.
Fuck outta my court room Aku sympathizer.

Not very likely, considering that Ashi and the future were completely erased.

Though, if you try you can make a sequel hook out of this.

you know what, the ending was't great but at least it happened

Now there is only one thing i need to know, so ok jack killed aku and everything from the future was deleted, but because jack killed past aku after he sent another jack to the future that means there is now a jack living an a future that isn't ruled by aku

so wtf i need to know the story of that jack, is that the jack that will defeat the guardian?

You're arguing that potential lives that will never actually exist unless you dick around with time travel have more value than people who currently exist.

So it's perfectly fine to let a debilitating event happen that would impact the earth itself for centuries to come?

What, does the fucking bomb have a right to explode or something you mongoloid?

>you know what, the ending was't great but at least it happened
I consider it to be good. Not great, but good. Its worst crime was to not live up to the high expectations.

the thing that is bugging me the most is that now single timeline is basically confirmed, so why did he not just use the portal from when he beat those archers if they were not going to exist in the first place anyway?
He could have ended it long time ago now he just let all his friends die just for the sake of it.

I think that Jack is still just him, all we saw was what Aku saw a second after the scene in episode 1, which was Jack returning.

What I wanna know is if Ashi (and any other never-borns) remain in spirit if not corporeal matter.

The entire argument about the nukes was based on the argument that we could choose to go back and prevent the bombs.

>Aku was stuck in his tree doing nothing.
Uh? no!, he was enslaving all of Japan already and aiming for the world.

>So it's perfectly fine to let a debilitating event happen that would impact the earth itself for centuries to come?
It's the same as the "is it right to go back in time and kill Hitler" debate. You could go back in time and stop a major event that killed a shitload of people but doing so would alter the timeline and create a much different future where a shitload of people also didn't exist.

That specific portal was cursed but there were a small numbers of others he couldve used at the risk of others

I didn't know blotting out or taking up space was a crime. Is Aku a bad person for simply existing now? Jerk.

He didn't kill them preemptively. He defended himself. Aku does not have a single confirmed kill in this show where he wasn't defending himself. Jack on the other hand literally comes out of a time portal and assaults an past version of Aku that didn't even do anything to that future Jack. Matter of fact, past Jack comes to Akus lair and assaults him before he gets thrown into the future.

If you watch this show objectively instead of just thinking Jack is some paragon of goodness, you'd realize Aku seriously does nothing wrong at any point.

>a couple thousand Jews
>holocaust-sceptic retards are on Sup Forums now

>so why did he not just use the portal from when he beat those archers
IT was a tricking wish well. If he had done his wish, he most likely would have got to the past as wished, but also cursed as his guardian and thus unable to confront and beat Aku.

The wishing well was a dead end all along.

The morals of samurai jack lend that answer to be yes. Why did Jack sacrifice time portals and bestow lessons onto people just to erase them? It was his fault he got tricked into being sent to the future. He failed. The second chance would be to rebuild the future HE let happen.

Bad writing

>it's okay to kill someone just because the majority doesn't like him
Let's hope you never end up in that situation, pal.

Behead all support Ashi's death.

Even if they're worth less to you I doubt that they'd feel that way about themselves and seeing how none of them give a shit about dying it's just further prove that gendy is literally a hack

Aku's future causes thousands to be happy, billions to suffer.
Jack trades the lives of the few for the many.

>He knew that going back in time was going to delete everything that existed.

No he didn't?

Yeah it's great that they finally ended it just to literally retcon the entire show in a unearned and forced way

Aku is literally the Japanese word for evil I think it's safe to assume he's killed more than a few people

So what? One is a terrible event that killed millions, but didn't hurt the earth that badly. The other is literally seeing the world take a serious hit on the chin. It's a no brainer that stopping the bombs is the only right thing to do.

I mean come the fuck on if he is just going to sacrifice all of them to go back to the past he could have just done it in the first place and spare them the pain and trouble.

Why did he think "Oh boy I better save them instead of going ot the past, changing the past and making them not suffer in the first place."

If I ever become a celestial terror and the gods themselves try to exterminate me I will understand why they are trying to do so