Do people have arcs and character development in real life?

Do people have arcs and character development in real life?
Other than some lucky ones geting a job and girlfriend, my friends and family members are exactly the same as they were when I was a kid.
And I'm too, so with that in mid, is saying that fictional characters in a movie don't make some kind of progression a valid criticism?

It’s not as dramatic but generally puberty is the progression arc that can change you from who were as a child

I used to be a happy child

Your character arc is going from optimistic to disillusioned to pessimistic to sad to dead.

Would a show that is just your everyday routine be interesting?

We watch Sup Forums precisely because it is unrealistic. We watch Sup Forums because characters grow and develop in ways real people don't. That's the whole point.

Well me too, I liked studying but almost no movies in wich people criticise saying "the characters don't have development" are about puberty, we are talking about movies in wich characters start and end as adults

>waah my life isn't like a teevee show
Wow, better just kill yourself now and get it over with.

You and your friends and family are boring losers.

No one wants to watch a movie about boring losers.

Movies are about the people who aren't boring losers. And plenty of them exist in the real world.

You have autism.

Most people watch movies either for action or for drama.

ok virgin

Yes/No.

There are some films that are specifically about people NOT progressing. The Big Lebowski for instance.

Drama usually requires something to be happening, thus progress and development.

But it doesn't HAVE to have that. Some films are plot drive, and the development of the characters isnt the focus (see something like Murder On The Orient Express).

Some dramas feature already defined characters who don't develop, but the drama coms from interpersonal conflict. A movie like Alien, for instance, doesn't feature a lot of developemt. Ripley was a tough woman to begin with, ends as a tough woman. The drama extends from the crew's conflict over how to solve the situation they are in.

>Real people

Not necessarily true. We watch movies about characters who are extraordinary or have extraordinary things happen to them. That's why so much TV focuses on police and doctors and lawyers. They are frequently in contact with people who are going through extraordinary or life changing events.

One sub-genre I find interesting is the Brother From Another Planet/Gump/Being There drama - where the central character doesn't have any real qualities of character or change. They're almost entirely passive, and the story happens around them.

He is right though.

There are plenty of movies based on true stories.

Not often is the true story;

>Me and my family did nothing of interest and then died

It's usually about people who were involved in notable and interesting events or did notable and interesting things.

Movies show the time a guy joined the army and ended up in a war, not the 8 months he spent working 9-5 as a janitor.

You mean the bonus situation right?

>my friends and family members are exactly the same as they were when I was a kid
No they are not. No one lives forever.
I used to think my dad would stay healthy. Now aging is catching up with him and me.

illnesses or aging are not character develompent

>lucky ones geting a job and girlfriend
>99.99% of people are lucky
Leave your basement, sperg

That’s not the opposite of his argument.

too real

I have barely changed for years

Character doesn't have to develop, he can stay the same. It's usually a good thing to have them face events that could change their character and see how they react, but he doesn't have to change as a rule.
Only bad writers will always make a character 'develop' no matter what.

CD can be internal or external. Usually it's both. A new event will challenge a character (he doesn't have to change in the end, but the potential is there) on both exterior and interior levels. Illness and aging can provoke self-realisation, a desire to leave a legacy, a denial of the reality, etc.

>guy realises he's middle aged
>has a mid-life crisis

There a move right there that stems from a character simply reacting to getting old. There's probably a thousand movies been made on this.