I never finished watching this show but I keep seeing Sup Forums whining about the ending and comparing it to Samurai...

I never finished watching this show but I keep seeing Sup Forums whining about the ending and comparing it to Samurai Jack.
Did it also end with a bittersweet ending?

Please post spoiler tags for proper spoilers that go into detail and go beyond light spoiling because I might download and watch it.

>Did it also end with a bittersweet ending?
No, in fact, the excess of sweetness is what made it suck.

Why's that?

Nah, it was heartfelt and uplifting, more of an open ending than anything, but the fact Summer was over and everybody went their separate ways was bittersweet. It's the end of their current story together, but it is implied they will probably all get back together.

Like Samurai Champloo, I guess.

it's obvious hirsch had a checklist of specific moments he wanted to put in, but the entire finale happened so fast and was so cobbled together that said moments felt really cheesy and arbitrary

Nah, the ending was great. It almost went VERY bittersweet but in the end it didn't [Spoiler]cause it's a kid's show[/Spoiler]
Sup Forums just likes to hate on popular things

Like what, for example?

people wanted stan to end up with amnesia.

the other thing was that the moral of weirdmageddon was off-key in a way too subtle for Sup Forums to describe accurately, so they just keep shaking their fists at mabel.

No, I think it's pretty blatant how off-key it was.

The conflict of Mabel not wanting to Dipper to have his own life was resolved by Dipper choosing to follow Mabel.

It hinted a bittersweet ending and the plot twist was that it was a sweet ending
one character sacrifices himself to save the world and magically returns, ir's a big fuck you to the people who bothered watching the show, with that being said, I enjoyed the ride, it's a really good show regardless of the ending.

No, they both had rushed endings.

In GF's case it was because Hirsch didn't want to do a third season and so pretty much the entire last half of the second season was rushed.

People who wanted Stan to have sad Alzheimer's in the end and Mabel to spend 20 minutes apologizing are edgelords. Ending was comfy. I loved it

Massive hiatuses caused co to build the show to impossible heights so nothing could have appeased them by the time the hiatus came. People who binge the show now think the ending is great and are hungry for more

see, you've made it less subtle. dipper doesn't decide to abandon his dreams, he conveniently decides that he doesn't want to follow through. the lesson isn't "you should suffer for your sister" it's "you should go have a normal social life, fellow normal person".

it's not proof that hirsch wants to fuck his sister, it's proof that in real life neither him or his sister were actually like dipper. he's said that he had a thing about ufos, but wasn't introverted.

You see, that's the problem. It was never about what Dipper needs or wants. It's about what Mabel wants.

Mabel freaked out that Dipper would leave her and started the apocalypse. The resolution of her freakout did not hinge on her overcoming her neediness, it hinged on Dipper conceding to her.

If Mabel accepted that Dipper would leave her, and Dipper then decided to not to (For now) that'd be fine. Instead moral espoused here was that if your sibling is entitled to have you at their side at all time.

Mind you, Mabel was never reprimanded whenever she wanted to do things away from Dipper, even going as far as breaking their previous agreements.

Personally, I never cared for "ditch the supernatural and go back to your life of complete mundanity" endings either.

they clearly thought that what dipper wanted was ridiculous, and said so. there was a thing clearly set up where he wanted to grow up too fast, and mabel wanted to turn back time.

but then they turn around and go "what kind of weirdo would want to become a field researcher lol?" to which the obvious answer is "dipper would". he suggests that learning about a new part of the world is as much a 'fantasy' as trying to live in a piece of trapper keeper cover art.

the show does coddle mabel in that episode, but it's not talking about dipper giving things up, it just can't believe that he would actually want that in the first place.

To be fair, it's more like "Don't abandon your family and friends in pursuit of self interests." Dipper would've ended up a secluded loner like Ford, and him staying with Mabel is supposed to play against Stan and Ford breaking up.

If that's so, they kinda didn't do a good job at making the apprenticeship thing seem like a bad idea.

Then couldn't they have done some sort of compromise where, after Weirdmageddon, Ford realizes that Mabel's capable of heroism just like her brother, and offer them both the apprenticeship thing. I mean, that would have been a compromise between what both twins want.

Many fans thought the finale was poorly written with plenty of plotholed and too many inconsistent behaviors of certain characters.

The ending kinda sucked, yeah

But it was established that Dipper's dream was to become a paranormal investigator, and he showed so much talent for it.

I don't know, maybe it would have helped if the conflict wasn't about Dipper just leaving Mabel, but about Mabel and Dipper both going their separate ways to pursue their dreams early.

The only problem with that is Mabel needed to be given a dream. She really needed some development.

It's not the point that Dipper wanted it or not. There's no indication that he would decide it, even if he considered it.

The problem is that Mabel laid a claim on his life and wouldn't accept resignation, and it wasn't accepted.

Mabel haven't supported Dipper or covered for him practically ever, which sort of undermines the idea in greater context. She only assisted him when she had nothing better to do and ditched him the moment it inconvinienced her. In itself it's not necessary wrong (I don't think Dipper is entitled to have her unconditional help either) but it creates a very one-sided moral. Mabel gets to be the parasite living like a queen of Dipper, and Dipper is obliged to support her or she won't be jumping around him pointless anymore, I guess (The horror!)

The last episode should have been separate from the bill arc. Would have been nice to have a quiet day to say goodbye

The problem with Mabel later on is her disinterest in solving mysteries with her brother. She doesn't want to be an apprentice, she's too busy gushing over boys and geeking out to 80's synth pop.

Mabel throws an apocalyptic temper tantrum, and gets rewarded for it both directly and indirectly.

ending sucked. stan was supposed to forget them, but then he got his memories back because reasons. what a cop out.

And that kinda sums up why Mabel didn't work as a co-protagonist. Perhaps it would've worked better if she had been interested in the exploring and adventuring aspects of the supernatural, to go along with her brother's interests in investigating and mystery-solving

Looking back, Mabel ultimately added very little to the show aside from some forced cuteness and quirkiness

Why didn't he want to?

Exhaustion from overworking himself during season 2, iirc

yeah, i know, that was why it didn't work. i guess i'm just saying Sup Forums always sounds slightly paranoid talking about it, phrasing it as malice more than incompetence, as it were. i don't know, it just sounds weird to me.

i guess other anons have more bad experiences with their sibling with social skills? mine are just as autistic as me.

Bill's apocalypse was just a let down and it felt like he didn't really have much of plan to start.

>The only problem with that is Mabel needed to be given a dream.

I don't know, maybe a human cannonball or something? Just the first thing that came to mind

It didn't really feel like "apocalypse of sheer weirdness and chaos" so much as "fairly standard apocalypse with a few odd monsters roaming around"

>people who clearly didn't watch the show still shitposting in GF threads

Anyways, let's review stupid ford's greatest hits

>summons demon he is warned not to summon
>totally trusts clearly evil demon he stupidly summoned
>hides evil demon worship from research partner
>makes portal with no fucking clue where it leads
>finds out portal will destroy the world
>doesn't destroy portal
>doesn't rip out and destroy portal pages
>doesn't tell anyone about Bill threat
>doesn't tell anyone about the fucking Rift and how dangerous it is directly leading to it getting broken
>tells Bill his knows his one weakness
>doesn't tell anyone else Bill's one weakness
>tells Bill he knows barrier smashing equation and can get it from him to destroy the universe
>fucking grammar police instead of focusing on saving the damn world

>It's the "Mabel's idiocy is negated by Ford's Fuck ups" excuse
This Falls flat for 2 reason
1. Ford's Fuck ups are acknowledged as complete and utter fuck ups, while Mabel's are danced around
And
2. Ford pays for his Fuck ups and/or learns from them to fix his mistakes. Mabel does niether of these, and it's up to Dipper to do the Dirty work and take the heat.

I just watched the whole show about two weeks ago. Alltogether I thought it was great, even if the ending wasn't perfect. It probably would have been more impactful and better overall if Stan didn't regain his memories since what actually happened felt like a cop-out. Everything else was fine though.

I did notice some pacing issues towards the end, and since we're on the SJ subject I think GF might have benefited from an abbreviated, 10-episode final season dedicated to a single story arc that wrapped things up.

for me yes

Maybe Weirdmageddon would've worked better if it had been that. As it stands, it's not quite a simple two parter, not quite an arc, and not quite a movie

Why?

Pacifica's......

The best written female character, though that's saying very little

It's not about edgy stuff faggot, it implies that if his memories can come back that easily after being deleted, then Bill Cipher can return in the same way, that's bad writing.

I think I recognize you from the other GF thread

>20 minutes of Mabel apologizing
The least they could have done was give Mabel 2 minutes of screen time to realize that out of everything that allowed Weirdmageddon to happen, it was her blind optimism that was the final nail in the coffin.

Also Mabelland was shit. She could have been in a close-to-reality-but-not-quite version of Gravity Falls where it was always summer, and she needed to realize herself that something was wrong. Instead we got a cliche candyland dreamscape that seemed promising but ultimately did nothing new, where she spends the entirety of the episode being an obstacle.

Gravity Falls was just okay all-around

Regular sized breats

Nah, the ending was open and had the premise of more adventures.

Sup Forums mostly hated it because it came to an end too soon and there was more that could've been explored.

Also, the fact that all the symbolism and the prophecy were for naught because Ford and Stan had to keep dragging their stupid feud.

Massive thirst