Just finished watching Sicario, what did i think of it?

Just finished watching Sicario, what did i think of it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yhHwgDAM8uU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Mansplaining, The Movie.

Sexist and miserable.

I left the cinema after about 30mins

How was it sexist?

This "Sicario is amazing" meme needs to die. The script was utter dogshit. It looked great, the actors were admirable, solidly edited, atmospheric score. But the writing... you could tell the writer has amateur at best knowledge on the subject. It was all very hokey and sensationalist, with dialogue that wouldn't be out of place on a Law and Order episode (This is the land of wolves). And then there were the contrivances. That Jon Bernthal scene was such a mess from a writing standpoint. The motherfucker happens to have that specific wrist band linked to the drug money in a previous scene? Fuck off. And all the characters other than the three mains were just wastes. I give this movie a 6/10 based on the atmosphere, performances, and other little things, but this didn't win any awards and rightly so.

Film is a visual medium, the writing is only one element in the whole filmmaking process.
Fury Road, Sicario, Dunkirk all have a bad/mediocre story, but because of all the quality of other elements they resulted in good/great movies.
Even most Tarkovsky films have a pretty simple script if you take it just as a story, but because of his great non linear poetry-like execution they are considered as one of the best films ever made.

And I don't think the writing is bad at all, Taylor Sheridan is one of the better american writers of today.

The female "protagonist" is just there as a vehicle for the powerful men in the movie to manhandle her and render her powerless.

Emily Blunt’s character was badly written

Im not sure if this is b8
The only character who had cringy writing is emily blunt and that's intentional, they even laugh at her for staying dumb idealistic shit.
Guy with wristbands was sent to kill her because she went into the bank and stood in front of security cams.

>Guy with wristbands was sent to kill her because she went into the bank and stood in front of security cams.
Why did he have the wristband in the first place you retard? It's the writer flashing to the audience (and the protagonist lol) in big neon letters THIS IS A BAD GUY

>the writing is only one element in the whole filmmaking process.
The writing is so bad in this movie that it drags all other elements down with it. What now?

She's the only character with a clear good moral while all the men are moral free monsters capable of doing anything for their own agendas.
You can spin these dumb statements both ways my man.

So this one small scene with a plot device is enough for you to discredit the entire film?

Why wouldn't he? That's a pretty minor coincidence, doesn't even break the logic of the film. That's not even a coincidence, he just didn't take it away, and there is that. Iirc they were used as a sign of a cartel dealer because we are shown that there are a bunch of these on a cartel boss' table at one point, so yeah of course it is possible.

>Iirc they were used as a sign of a cartel dealer because we are shown that there are a bunch of these on a cartel boss' table at one point, so yeah of course it is possible.
Yeah and they were also used as evidence that Emily Blunt collected at the bank. You know, the bank where there is security footage of her doing just that which necessitates the Bernthal assassin to go after her? "Oh let me just keep this incriminating wristband because I am a fucking dummy and the script told me to lol." This is why Taylor Sheridan will never be anything more than a mediocre TV writer. He belongs on the writing staff of Homeland before directing mediocre big screen thrillers.

Enough to ruin one of the most pivotal scenes in the movie? Sure. But there is more:
>but kate, he is wearing FLIP FLOPS! something's going on with him, can't you see?
>wait a minute... you're a spook! right? the audience hasn't understood that yet, so let me say it again! you are cia, right?
>this illegal massacre witnessed by hundreds of civilians will be all over the newspapers tomorrow! wait no it won't be because we are cynical veterans and know this is always gets buried!
>be careful Kate, cops are the ones you can't trust! don't be surprised if in the next act you get betrayed by one, even if he comes out of nowhere
>by the way, they killed his wife and daughter, he is DAMAGED, in case you didn't notice by the way he acts
>by the way I'm an alpha wolf, I'm staring you down, like a wolf, get it?

I was joking.

All this greentext and in all of them you miss the fact that characters may know less than the audience.
You also keep bringing the wolves line, not sure why you're sperging over it so much. Blunt reminded him if his dead daughter, he might get poetic for once. It also make a lot of sense for the plot. It's less subtle than the rest of the movie, but if you really want a film where there is no plot structure, foreshadowing or dramatic moments you might as well watch some arthouse shit or documentary.
There is a line between entertainment and believability that sicario never really crosses that bad, and it's a great movie in every other aspect, that's why everybody love it here. You can be a nitpicking faggot but at the end of the day you're just another attention whoring contrarian.

>most pivotal scenes in the movie
Really? Do you really think that?

And the rest of your overly general lists of plot points really are not much of an argument either. What's bad about the audience knowing if a character is from the CIA/FBI or whatever department? Is it really enough for the audience just to know that Alejandro is "DAMAGED" to justify killing the mob guy's wife and both kids, without telling them that the mob guy did exactly that to him, in even more cruel ways?

>There is a line between entertainment and believability that sicario never really crosses that bad
It throws up all over that line consistently. It's like a guy reads some wikipedia articles about the drug war and makes a movie about it. Look at the sequel that is forthcoming. All the proof I need where the writer's heart lies: $$$$$$$$

>Really? Do you really think that?
One of, retard. One of. And it was. Stop defending TV writing where characters say things that are INTENSE and DARK. Elmore Leonard this is not.

why put the corpses in the wall?

Burying them outside is kinda suspicious

suspicious to who?

Shows how male aggression leads to misery and women can just shut up and watch. Very nihilistic movie.

Its good until the big highway scene. After that the movie turns into standard hollywood dogshit. Denis did a great job but shit script is shit.

Damn good movie?

>I DON'T LIKE SICARIO

to everyone around? They were in a somewhat populated neighborhood, there are a few buildings around them.

Sicario is amazing

Why not bury them in the desert they're already in?

why though, just hole em up in the walls and ditch the house few months later

Why does Villeneuve love choking females out in every film of his?

judging by how there are two choking scenes in Blade Runner (batista tried to choke goose in the beginning), it's safe to say Denis likes choking in general

youtube.com/watch?v=yhHwgDAM8uU

I thought it was really funny the movie was being pushed as "grrrl powrrrr" by progressives and the main woman freezes up, breaks down, and is just generally out of her element aside from overcoming one obstacle.

del Toro shines but his character's arc was pretty unfulfilling to me.

It's decent. Like a 6.5/10. Think what you want. Don't waste your time aggregating other opinions to form something you think is unique. This movie doesn't really go deep enough to warrant any in depth examination or review.

this movie is unique

So sorry, no.

>gets btfo once
>creates absolutely similar post later on pretending noone is gonna notice

Wasn't me, pal. :D

>The motherfucker happens to have that specific wrist band linked to the drug money in a previous scene? Fuck off.
he obviously makes the deposits too, they said there's multiple people doing it and each deposit has a dozen of those wristbands. it makes sense he had one on him

I watched it a while ago so I don't remember specifics,
but I remember walking out of the theater with the same feeling
something about it was off
and it wasn't the actors, or how it looked
in retrospect, the script was something a 16 year old in his scarface phase would write.

>it makes sense he had one on him
It makes sense in the script to have that character in that crucial moment have the incriminating, specific wristband. Absolutely fucking retarded contrivance.

I loved these bits but I feel like it got a bit silly at the end.

he gets a dozen of those wristbands a day, he had one in his pocket. stop being a whiny bitch

>stop being a whiny bitch
You might as well tell me to turn my brain off too. Something I must do to enjoy Taylor Sheridan's horrible scripts.

you're a literal faggot that already hates a movie you haven't seen because of it's trailer. go suck a cock

I loved the first film but I'm really not hopeful for this sequel, might even avoid watching it entirely. It just feels like it was a one-off.

Deakins images are predictably pretty but they are never allowed to breathe. Everything here is pre ordained, everything, both visual and dramatic, has to fall in a very narrow function. And all the hard truths it deliver is of the sort any dumb down B action film like Close Range contains (and it is almost hilarious made like no one has ever point out how vile the war on drugs were before). What is truly despicable about Villenauve is how for all the hot air a film like Sicario has, it stubborn refuses to actually get dirty, it is always gonna go for the tasteful shot even if its time to have DelToro to execute a family, it is gonna pay lip-service to realism but its messy fetid places and faces are so in rather clean way. Its anti-sepetic pretense filmmaking that seems dead set into erase the real thing from existence and that truly piss me off. It should be said respectful exploitation is literally my least favorite kind of movie, so this is very much not made for me.

>Look at the sequel that is forthcoming. All the proof I need where the writer's heart lies: $$$$$$$$
all the proof your faggot ass needs about a movie is a trailer

Everything about the movie looks like a laugh out loud joke. Anyone with even the most basic of instincts can see that.

I should have said that I'm not that guy, I just think he's probably going to be proven right.

Because we're 2 of many who have found similar faults in the movie? It's not kino but it isn't bad, either. The other user went into more detail and holds way more contempt for the movie than I do.

I don't even see where they got "BTFO" anyway. 1 user kind of agreed ()
, 1 is like a Fedora tier aside to his comment and the other explains a thread of the story more in depth. The wristband is hokey to me even getting this () my first viewing.

could be, but saying the first movie sucks because you're sure the second one will suck worse even though you haven't even seen it is retarded

what did he mean when he moved his head left and then right ?

Agreed.

>It's not kino
oh no little babby

What was wrong with the highway scene?

I found the movie to be pretty good, i thought most of the characters were realistic. I personally enjoyed del Toro's character as he was low-key the main character. The only thing I didn't like was the female lead, I didn't like hate her it was more that her character felt intrusive to a much more interesting story that was there.

This is completely correct, and the ebin operator ending is proof of it. This might be the best direction:shit writing ratio of any film I've ever seen

>it is always gonna go for the tasteful shot even if its time to have DelToro to execute a family
The shot selection and overall editing of that entire scene is superb, if it just stayed on the wide shot the entire time the shot would fall flat, this way with staying on Del Toro's close up back to back with the mob guy's terrified close up while still not showing what actually happened builds up the tension even more and then the wide shot of the kids and the mother on the floor all bloody is ten times more impactful.
Same goes for all the rest of the scenes, for example the Del Toro interogattion scene is ten times more impactful just with the heavy implications and then not actually showing the torture, otherwise it would be just a yet another waterboarding/phyisical violence/rape torture scene like from Zero Dark Thirty that everyone forgets, while here by amping up the tension and then not showing the actual action every viewer forms his own worst personal mental picture of what is happening and that way it's much more impactful than just showing the actual action on-screen.

Villeneuve knows how to portray violence and to make it stick with the viewer, shame that you want just the usual gorefest straight on blood and guts which only produce a short term instictual reaction of disgust, leaving you with nothing at all after that.

Have to agree it shit the bed in the end. I don't really care that it's not a "realistic" portrayal of the drug war because I enjoyed the themes.

to tell them "dont do it"

body language

I love the way after the head shake he deliberately pretends to take off his aim and attention from them for a split second to give them space to make their first move just in order that he can take out the scum in an instant.
Operator kino.

oh no no no