STAR WARS SPECIAL EDITIONS HATE

So can ANYONE explain the psychotic rage against the special editions of star wars to me?

Does it amount to anything other than
>wah wah muh childhood
>muh precious greenscreen lines
>muh plastic spaceships on a string
>muh retarded yub-nub

So far the only compelling argument I've heard is the change of luke screaming when falling down the shaft in cloud city and the NOOOOOOOO that vader lets out when sheev fries luke.
Other than that it seems to be a bunch of autistic gen x rage from people who blame lucas for them growing up into cynical, jaded grunge generation losers right about the time the special editions hit and being unable to connect with their "lost childhood".

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5p9ozSFOMQY
youtube.com/watch?v=2CpS_YLmcT0
youtube.com/watch?v=RAQTipW3m58
youtube.com/watch?v=zdI4svni-WQ
youtube.com/watch?v=qzApL8nUyT0
youtube.com/watch?v=XHQZFicPUwo
youtube.com/watch?v=-yxuDU8gims
youtube.com/watch?v=dnABu-jl9oE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Koo nee tang, na' na' na', ah lawah. Koo nee tang

they add some retarded shit like cgi boulders, those giant cgi lizards that look like ass, the jabba scene, the cgi singing muppet, adding hayden in to ROTJ etc. the problems not with the clean up on the small details like this.

you are a literal retard, bait harder you worthless piece of shit
youtube.com/watch?v=5p9ozSFOMQY
youtube.com/watch?v=2CpS_YLmcT0

the singing aliens were an improvement over the shitty puppets used in the original

though the movie would be better if neither existed, the whole scene is pointless

Really bad and jarring CGI bullshit that does nothing but bring the pace of the movies to a screeching halt and look/feel totally out of place.

Oh now, how will your aspergers ever cope?
What's so bad about this?
>d...dey chaynged a ding from when I was a keed
>d...dey remobbed vaders eyebrows

Literally pure, unfiltered autism to complain about that shit

As opposed to jarring stop motion and visible lines around bluescreened objects and plastic toys dangling on strings?

>getting your opinions from watchmojo.com
Time to euthanize yourself

I'll cope by not caring about star wars and talk about why it's stupid to add bad cgi in movies from the 70s

why are you seriously replying to a literally retarded troll
>an improvement
youtube.com/watch?v=RAQTipW3m58
fuck no, what's wrong with you
fuck off you worthless retard
it's a quick example you worthless retarded piece of shit

It's autism.
All of it.

youtube.com/watch?v=zdI4svni-WQ

I'm just left thinking "What? Why?" too often by his seemingly arbitrary changes. the first one being the perfect example.

SW is a bad example but yeah, it kind of has to do with nostalgia, specially for a time we did not live. I do not just want to watch "a better version of OT", I want to watch the version my parents saw in the theaters. If it had problems, let me see them too. Much like watching colorized and dubbed over Charles Chaplin would be pointless, just to make a more obvious exagerated example.

OP's change is s good one. Adding in a random comedy space cow that farts outside the cantina isn't.

Here's what happend.
A bunch of gen y and z kids got their opinions about the OT from retarded jaded Gen Xers like south park or RLM and started to parrot it without understanding a lick of what they're talking about.

I'm almost sure a large portion about the kids meming about "THE SPECIAL EDITIONS RUINED STAR WARS" only ever seen the special editions as kids and never seen the original OT in the first place

JUST ADD A CGI PIHRANA PLANT IN THERE

>So can ANYONE explain the psychotic rage against the special editions of star wars to me?
It was fine the way it was; fuck you.

yeah remember when they remade the mona lisa in 2003? infinitely better than the original desu

Most of the changes are pretty inoffensive, the only retarded one is inserting jabba into episode 4.
Should've just turned the human actor into a associate of jabba.

youtube.com/watch?v=qzApL8nUyT0

If you watch the making of, most of it was just simple stuff like erasing visual artifacts and noise.
But it got blown out of proportion by the autismal fanbase that never grew out of being a fucking baby

>It was fine the way it was; fuck you.
t. gen z born in 2005 - never seen the original OT but still very opinionated about it

fpbp

I saw Empire in theaters.

t. emotionally stunted jaded gen x manchild

why do you like shitty 90s cgi so much user

Most of the special edition changes were actually good they just went unnoticed because they were general cleanups and improvements in quality. There was just a few things that stuck out as obvious additions which looked totally out of place or were just plain stupid like Greedo shooting first, and those were obviously what everyone focused on.

I'm just a mean brown mother from outer space and I'm bad.

Honestly can't take Lucas seriously anymore after the Special Editions. What a fucking retard. What did he want to achieve? Once you start changing the past, you'll never stop until it's gone and a twisted replacement remains.

The complaints have nothing to do with the amazing restoration work, what people hate is the CGI.
Personally, I don't mind it because it never looks out of place now that the CGI is dated as well. In most scenes it meshed very well with existing effects, a testament to the quality of both.
The only truly bad scenes are Jedi Rocks and Jabba in ANH. Jedi Rocks is a horrible song to listen to, and the CGI music video was neither funny nor cool.
Jabba just looks like total shit, not like he looks in ROTJ and even TPM, there's the terribad effect when Han steps on his tail, and the scene is redundant because it just rehashes the terms of Han and Jabba's relationship, which was already in the Greedo scene. In fact, both scenes have almost identical dialogue.
Everything else people complain about is autism, like having Ian McDirmand in ESB or Hayden Christensen in ROTJ, or muh lightsaber colors (which only looked bad on the 2004 master because of bad DNR, yet people still claim the blue lightsabers looked different in 1977).

Why did he remove the eyebrows?

Why the fuck would Anakin still have eyebrows after being burned alive in a volcano?

More filmmakers should go back and update their films to take advantage of technology that wasn't available then. Instead of the ridiculous stop motion used in "Jason and the Argonauts", we could have glorious CGI that aids the contemporary viewer to immerse themselves in the film!

hair is coarse rough irritating and it gets everywhere

If, supposedly, Disney isn't allowed to release the OT unaltered, why can't they do they're own 'Special Editions'? Just clean up the sfx and maybe throw in a few minor changes to differentiate it from the original release. It would go a long way to smooth over the whole TLJ debacle.

It's just a bunch of nostaliga fags screaming
>STOP RAPING MY CHILDHOOD GEORGE STOOOOOOOOOP

I'm a bit prequel apologist, but that special edition shit did not belong in the OT.

>Jabba on tattooine ruins his depraved all powerful crime lord aesthetic, and a dramatic reveal, it makes Jabba look like a little begging bitch
>Greedo shooting dilutes han's arc
>New CG looks out of place with the rest of the gritty old aesthetic, this applies to literally every change
>Musical number in Jabba's palace is straight up Pixar in a 1980's movie
Early emperor reveal ruins the slow buildup going from being mentioned, to being shown in shadow, to being shown in the flesh, the well-lit hologram thing shows him too early
>Hayden ghost is a little more complicated, on the one hand, he did become Anakin again, on the other, Luke wouldn't fucking recognize him, making it awkward

Overall, it's a bunch of shit that adds nothing and detracts a lot.

You have shit like the Jawas falling off the beast of burden when Luke and Obiwan come zooming into Mos Eisley, for example. It's pointless, adds nothing to the original movies at all - in fact it blocks the action and obscures the hovercar zooming away - and is a few minutes of kid-focused comedy (buy the new Ronto toy!) with a gratuitous dose of "wow look at this CGI guize". It really sums up the special editions to me - just Lucas drawing a moustache on the Mona Lisa "because I always wanted too".

>If you watch the making of, most of it was just simple stuff like erasing visual artifacts and noise.

They added in hundreds of new CGI characters which didn't have any of the charm of the puppets and costumes and so on of the originals. I feel like it was a compounding problem though. Once he started adding CGI it looked out of place but to Lucas it was everything else that was out of place.

Because secret of mana 2D on snes is better than 3D remake. Do not fuck with quality.

I think it's okay for George to create a version he wanted to consider as canon. All that is fine, but not when you deprive people of the version they grew up with.
>inb4 you'll change your mind after realizing this is all dumb
Nope. Originatrilogy.com has done more than enough to restore the OT the way it was meant to be seen.
youtube.com/watch?v=XHQZFicPUwo
I point this scene out as the main reason these changes are so dumb. When I saw this scene as a kid, I was confused why a film from the 70s would look like this. It makes no sense and it made it jarring for me to place it alongside the prequels. It's awkward and unnecessary.
Especially with Vader's brand new >NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO at the end of ROTJ.
Thank god I never grew up with the 2011 version. I don't hate George, but I can't fully respect someone who would go this far just to please himself.

I've only ever seen the special editions on VHS as a kid and when I learned there were special editions I wanted to see them really badly to see what was improved. Only after getting my hands on the special editions I realized I've only ever seen the special editions and it literally made no difference to me.

>You have shit like the Jawas falling off the beast of burden when Luke and Obiwan come zooming into Mos Eisley, for example.
Oh no. ANH ruined, how will you ever cope?

>Especially with Vader's brand new NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO at the end of ROTJ.
Honestly I don't care about other changes (and about SW in general, really), but this one is just outright awful, and whoever approved it is a retard.

because disney literally dont give a shit about either the OT or prequels and rather have you buy TLJ
captcha:
>chads carefully

>All that is fine, but not when you deprive people of the version they grew up with.
This is the main thing. Release your updated version if you want but release a the original versions alongside it. Hell, plenty of people would have bought both.

>muh charme
literally nobody noticed a difference until autists started sperging out

not sure how that top ten is missing the krayt dragon call change
youtube.com/watch?v=-yxuDU8gims

>replacing original actor with fucking hayden
that made no sense. also disrespectful to the original actor.

>that video
pure unfiltered autism to even get worked up about something like this
then download your retarded despecialized edition and be done with it

>The complaints have nothing to do with the amazing restoration work, what people hate is the CGI.

This is true. This is the thing. However there is a bit more to be said about it.

First, the original versions have not been made available to the public since the laser disc release from the late eighties. There is currently no modern official trace of what the OT sounded and looked like originally pre special editions, with or without restoration. In terms of pure academic movie history this is a problem for a lot of cinephiles and fans. This ends up being seen as revisionism from Lucas's behalf, and opens the gates wide open to a moral struggle.
If the original versions were available nearly no one would have a problem with the special edition tinkering.

Secondly, about the added VFX, most people tend to ignore the context back in 95-97. Lucas was indeed testing the waters, warming up so to speak ILM to the colossal task of tackling the prequels. The special edition CGI was prototyping what vfx for the prequels could be. As always with SW and Lucas, there is technical research and development behind the scenes. The franchise has always been an excuse to push movie making technology since inception. That said, it doesn't mean that every updated scene in the special editions were good, I for one much preferred the original Jabba's musical scene for instance. But the technical context is regularly ignored. Again if only the original versions were made available we probably wouldn't even be talking about such details.

>nobody noticed until people noticed
Why are you so invested in defending it? Are you one of those people who relentlessly defends the prequels too? Is Jar Jar your favourite character?

it's also so disconnected from his entire character arc in the original trilogy. why would the ghost be of young evil anakin instead of the older, redeemed darth vader?

everyone noticed han solo's neck moving in unrealistic manner. retard.

youtube.com/watch?v=dnABu-jl9oE
George, why didn't you just follow in the steps of your buddy Spielberg?

He just did

I think it would be retarded even if it was all good. But it really comes down to it replacing the original version completely. I don't want to think the movie is better than it actually was.

Some of the shit in 4 really takes you out of it, but its not unwachable

5 is fine

6 got fucking raped. The fucking song sequence in Jabbas palace makes me feel ashamed for everyone involved

It's emblematic of the era, instead of a weird mashup of two different eras.

I just watched a YT comparison of every change made in a new hope, about 20 minutes long
The only thing that was bad was han greedo scene, and if you going to let ten frames ruin a 2 hour movie, you have severe crippling autism

>just Lucas drawing a moustache on the Mona Lisa "because I always wanted too".
Except, you know, he's the one who made ANH

>The only thing that was bad was han greedo scene, and if you going to let ten frames ruin a 2 hour movie, you have severe crippling autism
This

Listen to me you fucking NIGGERS if he had put the Special Editions side by side with the original releases and said "okay buy whichever one you want in a format that doesn't look like blurry ass on a 1080p screen" that would've fine. But the motherfucker didn't. He said we could ONLY get the Special Editions, so we had to resort to years of underground restoration effort by dozens of people to produce such a thing and for that George Lucas and his Special Editions can go fuck themselves.

ANH Special Edition is relatively ok compared to ROTJ.

CGI Jabba in ANH its horrible, an as somebody pointed above, kills his awesome reveal as an morbid obese crime lord in Return of the Jedi.

However, Hayden Andersen in ROTJ its probably one of the worst changes to me. Putting an out of place millenial actor in a 1983 movie looks horrible. Also he's a teenager again, for some reason, despite Ben Kenobi and Joda being old as ghosts.

>though the movie would be better if neither existed, the whole scene is pointless

>wah wah muh childhood would have been better without these scenes

literally crying like a baby they didnt make a movie the way you wanted it

>literally baiting for no reason this entire thread

>change Han's character to be more kid friendly
>introduce Jabba as a shitty CGI character and make Han step on his tail
>all the retarded CGI animals

If you think that's fine you are retarded.

The biggest crime was George being a complete faggot about it and claiming old versions were destroyed and nobody should ever see them anyways because this is his final version. That he kept changing every year anyways.

Idiots are going all white knights on Lucas now but he was a fucking autistic retard and started this shit.

>why didn't they create and produce 2 different DVDs because my autistic brain cant handle 10 seconds of new scenes
Stop, aside from being retarded that wouldn't even be profitable for them

Millions of fans wanted it you retarded ape.

Go fuck yourself, nigger. They could've JUST restored the prints without adding any of the special snowflake shit George wanted but they didn't. Fuck you.

They wanted to do that scene, they just didn't have the technology for it

Its essentially a deleted scene.

I can understand updating certain graphics -- like when Luke/Ben first fly into the canteen city and it looks very poor, due to limitations of SFX.

I don't see reason to add unnecessary things like the pit-monster with a piranha head or added creatures or the fucking singing scene.

I think you also have to ask: is it ok for someone who didn’t direct a movie to tamper with someone else’s work unilaterally. Sure, he owns them, legally, but in the spirit of the “art”, should he tamper with them. I’ll admit I’m not set in stone about this, because if I bought the Mona Lisa, I should have the right to throw a bucket of paint over it. I also totally see why people would be mad.

It should be noted that lucas at one point went before congress to defend tampering with another director’s work

Tell the rest of the story. You guys then spent the next decade shitting all over him for "ruining your childhood" because the prequels didn't magically make you a little kid again. After decades of uninterrupted hatred, he finally gave up and sold the franchise just to get you off his back, putting it in the hands of suits who will destroy it. I don't like the special editions either, but before you get up on your high horse again, recognize that you're to blame for killing the franchise, not Lucas.

they DID produce unedited LASER DISCS you utter retard. Holy shit disney shills attack everyone these days. go back to disney forums and kill yourself mouse shill

>Jedi Rocks is better than Lapti Nek

I don't care about your fucking whining. He had one job: release a high definition version of the films. He refused, we said he could fuck off. It ends there. Kill yourself.

>lucas at one point went before congress to defend tampering with another director’s work

This. Guy is a gigantic baby with double standards.

Disney SW being trash doesn't suddenly justify all the idiotic crap Lucas did over the years.

>Most of the special edition changes were actually good they just went unnoticed because they were general cleanups and improvements in quality.

But these are the expectations of a remaster of the theatrical cut

Look up Mike Verta's legacy edition. He makes the color accurate as possible to what was in front of the camera, removes anomalies like damage and strings, matches matte paintings, etc. Looks way better than the special editions. The SE is blue washed, dark, with blown out reds. Almost the whole thing.

Lucas already killed it years ago. PT ruined SW popularity and brand name.

>He had one job
>A job I arbitrarily defined for him
>He didn't do the one job that I wanted him to do!

And then you aging nerds spent the next two decades bitching until finally George gave up on you and just sold it to Disney so they could inject you with pure nostalgia until you begged for something original. Hope you're happy with the outcome.

You can put 2 cuts of the same movie on the same disk retard. They just use a different scene order. You don't have to copy the whole movie twice.

>why didn't they release 3 versions or 5 versions so everyone can be happy REEEEEEEEEE

Fuck you, nigger.

>3 versions or 5 versions
they literally did you faggot retard. lmao I pirated all major disney flicks cant wait to pirate last jedi and not even watch it lmao.

Actually the PT is immensely popular with younger audiences and led to an entire decade of spinoff material. It's just unpopular with 40+ manchildren. Amusingly enough if you talk to 50+ people, they thought the OT obsession was pretty infantile and the movies were nothing special either. Turns out it's just when you were most emotionally vulnerable.

Yes, but they didn't ad the scene, and so the first part of Return of the Jedi works much better because of it. Call it fate or whatever, but it was a bold move not to ad that sequence. Also, it's just a redundant scene because they say the same thing as Greedo.

That’s just dumb. He wasn’t always evil while looking like prequel Anakin. The point is he reverted back to what he was before Darth Vader. The only thing the change does is help continuity be more in sync so I have no problem with it

When you look into how Star Wars got made you realize that George Lucas actually had a lot less to do with it than he always made it seem. In fact, he resents the people that are most responsible for creating the original movies, most notably his ex wife who was also one of his editors and who was greatly responsible for saving both ANH and ESB. The special editions are just George desperately trying to make the movies 'his', it tears him up inside when people praise him for them because he knows the truth.
George truly is a sad man.

I'll accept your surrender. I hope you enjoy your Disney(tm) Star Wars. It's the Star Wars you deserve, and the outcome of twenty years of uninterrupted bitching about artistic differences with a man far more intelligent than you.

>Actually the PT is immensely popular with younger audiences and led to an entire decade of spinoff material. It's just unpopular with 40+ manchildren. Amusingly enough if you talk to 50+ people, they thought the OT obsession was pretty infantile and the movies were nothing special either. Turns out it's just when you were most emotionally vulnerable.
T H I S

I'm sorry they didn't have the foresight to cater to the most autistic of children. Better cry about it for the rest of your life because of a few minor scene changes

>George truly is a sad man.
he wrote incest and slave babes and aliens with big red lips. the faggot probably secretly created deviant art website.

Cute bullshit.

Go fuck yourself, subhuman.

>They wanted to do that scene, they just didn't have the technology for it

Star Wars 77 has a lot of shit that was filmed and never made it into the movie because it's an awful movie subtracted into an amazing one. Even if they had the tech to do it, who can say if it would have looked good enough to not get chopped by oscar winning editing. And if lucas veto'd his editors, does it make the movie better?

>I'm sorry they didn't have the foresight to cater to the most autistic of children.

??? But this is how the special editions were made for george

Happy baby

I guess you missed the fucking deluge of cartoons, comics, video games, and books coming from the PT setting to this fucking day. Fucking lawl.