This is a thread for those of us who have been watching cinema seriously for over 5 years and have seen over 1000 films...

This is a thread for those of us who have been watching cinema seriously for over 5 years and have seen over 1000 films. Don't be offended; some of us have simply moved past imdb-core, capeshit, and the same old indie flicks. Do not derail the thread with trolling or off-topic discussion.

Without further adieu, I wish a warm welcome to my fellow cinephiles. Here are some discussion points to get our thread started:

>What have you been watching recently?

>What is your opinion on the current state of American and world cinema?

I watched Looper today and I must say, I was blown away. A revolutionary sci-fi and a well-deserved award winner.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QpUqpLh0iRw
vimeo.com/188538351
vimeo.com/190451704
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>I watched Looper today and I must say, I was blown away. A revolutionary sci-fi and a well-deserved award winner.
God dammit why did you have to include this?

>some of us have simply moved past imdb-core
>"I watched Looper today and I must say, I was blown away."
this is either some advanced 4D reverse baiting or you're a pathetic pleb

Berberian Sound Studio was boring, original Wicker Man was kino, Wicker Tree was bad and American Cinema is shit but European is rising. Also fuck USA for abandoning Verhoeven.

I only watch Van Wilder movies

Beau Travail was great, can't wait for the Kino Claire Denis is making next year
Also watched Embrace of the Serpent. Pretty good

I mildly enjoyed 400 Blows.

is von trier actually a nazi

watched Lost City of Z recently Robert Pattinson was actually pretty bad after Sup Forums kept shilling me on him but I liked him in Good Time

The movie itself felt quite magical but didn't justify his motivation at all and got a bit repetive without enough world building in the amazon

It's just shitty bait.

>Without further adieu

>tfw KG invites are still closed

>some of us have simply moved past imdb-core, capeshit, and the same old indie flicks
>I watched Looper today and I must say
so it's gonna be that kind of a fake /lbg/ thread

youtube.com/watch?v=QpUqpLh0iRw
Nah, he was just autistic

>tfw been on KG for over 5 years

feels kino

>The movie itself felt quite magical
this was the reason I loved it
>didn't justify his motivation at all
the fat fraud Murray explained it on the second jungle trip: Fawcett didn't care about his family or his crew, just MUH JUNGLE. All makes sense to me.

satan trips so you get a free reply
>world building
im looking for my plebcore critic bingo macro

I deleted my KG account because I realized I was not a retard and had everything I needed on PTP.

Yh i know he cared more about his jungle than family but didn't feel justified. When tom holland his son got slapped i felt like he had a point and it felt like the writers were just aimlessly making the main character do things for no reason

>When tom holland his son got slapped i felt like he had a point and it felt like the writers were just aimlessly making the main character do things for no reason
You mean his son had a point? Because yeah he kind of did. Fawcett is not really meant to be a heroic figure, he is tragic.

"Embrace of the Serpent" is a 7/10 movie, and is miles better than "The Lost City of Z", and I may actually be the biggest James Gray fan on this board.

You may not be a retard, but you definitely have narrow cinematic horizons if you didn't realise how much exclusive content KG provides in comparison with PTP.

Dang you hated Lost City of Z? I thought it was his second best movie.

Oh sorry.

There weren't enough "visuals" in the amazon it looked like the same bit of forest every time. Is that better for you?

I watch Kinos since the early 90s. I watched 6 movies today since I'm depressed as fuck.

I watched;

Lady Bird
The Florida Project
Kingsman - The Secret Service
Kingsman - The Golden Circle
Columbus
Manchester by the Sea

You see. sometimes some silly blockbuster is fun too. I love them cause you don't have to think and it's easy to watch. I have ascended into a care free world where I watch everything and am able to enjoy it all for different reasons.

What's his first best

The Immigrant of course!

What was Columbus like? I heard it's john cho's best performance and one of the best movies of the year but underrated

Does haley have good scenes?

visuals is also in the bingo card. you use adverbs like justified and aimlessly as if they should mean something to someone other than you.

Columbus was decent. I didn't like the comatose father plot device and some of the dialogue between the characters felt really artificial. Haley is great and carries the whole movie.

DUDE EVERYTHING IS SUBJECTIVE LMAO

which is your favorite of the six?

so what's the point of communicating without clarity? what's the point of shooting a film when all it expresses is a muddle

I didn't hate it, it was kind of okay but pretty boring. Gray's best movies were co-written by the great cinephile Ric Menello over the phone, and his passing before the making of "The Lost City of Z" really hurt the movie.

James Gray's movies ranked, according to me:

1. "Two Lovers".
2. "The Immigrant".
3. "Little Odessa".
4. "We Own the Night".
5. "The Yards".
6. "The Lost City of Z".

>/advanced/
>blown away by Looper

What's KG

Two Lovers was really hurt by the melodrama and predictability of the last act. I admired Joaquin playing such an unlikable and mentally broken person though.

lizard in the desert

AHD, bud

It's pretty good. I think with more distance to it I'm going to appreciate it more.

Manchester by the Sea
From the newer ones The Florida Project

Post-ironic melodrama is James Gray's whole shtick. Once you realise that, how can you say that melodrama hurt Gray's movie?

how do I be less of a brainlet. I literally know nothing about literature, so I feel like I'm missing a lot with movies below the surface. All my favorite movies are that because they look cool and have good characters or a good story. I don't really know anything about symbolism or what makes a movie "deep". basicallyw hat im saying is that i'm retarded and hate myself. i cant even properly articulate this thought.

>Post-ironic melodrama is James Gray's whole shtick.
I got that. I just didn't think the story it was telling and the characters in it were compelling enough to justify the melodrama. We Own the Night, The Immigrant, Lost City of Z, and even Little Odessa were bigger, more important stories to me.

In my opinion, "Two Lovers" is his most compelling and human story precisely because it is his smallest, the most non-genre one.

>how do I be less of a brainlet. I literally know nothing about literature,
Then read. Read a book every week for the rest of your life. No ifs, no buts.

A good step in the direction you are looking towards is to look for patterns. A recent example I could think of is the movie Stronger (the Jake Gyllenhall/Boston marathon bombing movie). After he gets his legs blown off he is invited to a Bruins game midway through to wave the flag in an opening ceremony. The handler giving him the flag is a little detached. His girlfriend is pushing his wheelchair so he can't even see her. The lights and music are too loud and crazy. It is clearly a terrible experience and the character suffers a breakdown as a result. Then at the end of the movie he throws the first pitch at a Red Sox game. This time it is outside, and his friends and family are all nearby and in sight. Pedro Martinez gives him the ball and is warm, friendly to him. This is a much better experience, and it demonstrates to the audience how the character has grown between the two points of the movie.

>>What have you been watching recently?
The Legend of Billie Jean its a nostalgia thing
Oscar

>>What is your opinion on the current state of American and world cinema?
we need some originality. its the same repost of a repost, of a repost, of a repost.

Yes, that is your opinion I am accustomed to. I suppose it is a matter of taste. Always a pleasure.

Can someone tell me what the fuck KG and that other shit is
Are they just letterbox spin offs

Well I don't really know. You can get into the technical aspects of film and learn about scenes, settings, compositions and various techniques a director can use to convey certain dynamics between characters. Some symbolism comes down to general knowledge I guess.

For example the band guy in Lady Bird reads "A People's History of the United States" by Zinn a leftists literature classic and later explains how he doesn't like money or materialism. So a careful observe knows where the character draws his influences from. Must be good writing & directing or else those things wouldn't be possible in Film.

Stuff like that. just watch as many movies you can I guess and learn by doing.

They're private trackers, Karagarga is the best one for obscure films

Harshly put, it's very probably too late for a any major change about your possibilities of expanding brain power for knowledge and culture in the intersection of a richer relationship to the cinema medium. Try to not to downgrade at least.
And keep not going the path of celebrating your ignorance like most on this shithole.

>What have you been watching recently?
Nothing, as I have moved on from watching movies to making movies.

>What is your opinion on the current state of American and world cinema?
World cinema is fucked but I am going to save it with my third feature film with tells a story about hip hop and satanism.

How are you clowns so stupid? Just google shit and learn in a couple of seconds, retards

I'm on PTP and SC.

you're right it's his best by far

>he was just autistic
he's just Danish

Those don't get you into KG. AHD does.

post your first two feature films

I remember you being less obnoxious and pretentious in the past, thor ( for the standards of a tripfag that is)

>Without further adieu,
This post is amazing.

>I remember you being less obnoxious and pretentious in the past
You are remembering absolutely incorrect. He was a lot worse in 2011-2012.

>unironically responding to a tripfag

My 4chanX Filter filters all trip fags out. Too bad it doesn't work on mobile.

Having watched over 5000 movies I agree with Looper being good but it shouldn't win awards especially that year.

As for current state of cinema... think the most recent movie to break my top 250 is Sicario. I rarely of ever bother with new movies. When people praise garbage like Arrival, there isn't much hope.

What was the point of this?

There's some weird shit going on with Sup Forums (maybe those new ads) that almost fries my phone whenever I enter a thread. They've truly finally killed my mobileposting. What kind of phone do you have?

>praises one Villeneuve
>shit talks the other Villeneuve

Why do you love and hate him at the same time and,how does a movie break your top "250" when Emily Blunts Character is so badly written it rivals the worst capeshits

Epic, right? How creative these Sup Forums guys are getting this year, lol

iPhone 6S

Wtf so do I. Strange.

Why is she terribly written in your opinion? She's just an insert for the audience to be thrown into the moral chaos of the film.

1. "Belarusian Psycho".

vimeo.com/188538351

>Dmitry, a self-proclaimed genius photographer, decides to finally lose his virginity, and invites three girls to celebrate his 22nd birthday in a countryhouse.

>Best Belarusian Film at the Minsk International Film Festival (2015).
>Out-of-Competition Screening at GoEast Film Festival, Wiesbaden (2016).

2. "Love & Partnership".

vimeo.com/190451704

>Minsk-based Igor travels together with his girlfriend to his hometown of Vitebsk. Whilst walking around the city he's constantly recording himself; after all, he can’t neglect the 50,000 subscribers of his YouTube blog.

>Minsk International Film Festival “Listapad” (2016) — Honorable Mention.
>Cottbus Film Festival (2017) — Out of Competition.

I judge movies by their merit. I have not looked into who wrote each of them but Sicario is both well made and well written while arrival is neither of those things. Ending to arrival or entire 3rd act is some of the worst cinema I have ever seen. It is so dumb.

And I don't care if popular critics of YouTube era such as RLM praise Prometheus or arrival while calling independence day shit schlock. Maybe they just can't see their own bullshit. Because having watched more than 5000 movies, might be 10000 from all over the world in all eras and study the pictures as I form my own opinion without being influenced by pretentious whores, I am confident in my criticism as to what makes a good movie.

>why is she badly written
>insert for the audience

are you just baiting!? Are you aware that her character asks what "Medallin" is at the end of the movie. How's that even a question an agent that hunts drug lords asks? It's just embarrassing.

How can you even claim that Arrival isn't well made in a technical sense? Point out its directorial flaws and other missteps. (Hint it's the same director who also made Sicario). I think you are just a story fag nothing more. Go back to arguing about the Star Wars franchise all day cause we all know by now that you do haha

>Looper

Also gonna add I have an insane amount of life experience to draw on. I know what a fight is. I know what crime is and I know what love is, I even know war. When I read someone's opinion like that of Roger Ebert on war movies, crime movies or love character dramas even kids movies, I can tell the guy most of the time in his criticism just can't relate or understand genuine articles because he has no idea about any of it as he hasn't lived it.

Is this the new navy seals copy pasta

Everyone always says how they saw this "AMAZING" or life changing movie that is a work of art.

Im just a imdbcore pleb but still nothing is that amazing to me yet.
Recommend me a really good movie your very best something unique to cinema that doesn't really on context of when it came out

*tips fedora*

>I know what a fight is. I know what crime is and I know what love is, I even know war.
How did you manage to type this out unironically

Sort of like when British people try to talk to Americans about niggers.

Yeah but what does well made mean. Especially these days when half the work is done by SFX studio and SFX director with digital cameras, most are not even their own cinematographer. If we judge movies quality, calling something like Prometheus well made when the story is broken and the viewer is left confused as to wtf is even going on, how is that a well made picture. The movie sucks yet he finished the final edit and called it good. Might as well take any music video director of the street and give them Oscars for best director. Directing isn't just camera work. A movie with terrible acting is also the responsibility of the director.

Here are the 10 best movies of all time.

1. "Greenberg" (Noah Baumbach, 2010).
2. "Nights and Weekends" (Greta Gerwig & Joe Swanberg, 2008).
3. "Wendy and Lucy" (Kelly Reichardt, 2008).
4. "Mumblecore" (Megan Boyle & Tao Lin, 2011).
5. "Hana and Alice" (Shunji Iwai, 2004).
6. "Right Now, Wrong Then" (Sang-soo Hong, 2015).
7. "Edvard Munch" (Peter Watkins, 1974).
8. "A Tale of Winter" (Eric Rohmer, 1992).
9. "Margaret" (Kenneth Lonergan, 2011).
10. "Heremias" (Lav Diaz, 2006).

Winter Light

Why not. I love memes.

That's a bad case of recency bias

kek

You are just stringing words together that make no sense. You are a popcorn eating pleb who likes his genres and stories thats it. don't pretend you can be objective when you can't.

I will give you 2 movies.

Melancholia by Lars von trier.

And Blue is the warmest color.

>inb4 retards who saw neither attacks me
Get a life.

It's not recency bias, as I have seen "Greenberg" back in 2010 (if anything it's the opposite, as in 2010 I was only 16 and getting deeper into movies), and have seen countless "old" movies since then.

I am also making movies, and they will be way better than this shit.

Exactly.

I'm like the opposite of a hipster lol live a normal blue collar life since my last time in prison, where I don't plan to go back to. Mostly watch movies and tv instead of going out these days and for the last couple of years.

>Melancholia by Lars von trier.
>And Blue is the warmest color.
You picked those two movies, wow.

Sure they will.

You sound like a semi-crazy person asking for a change near a gas station.

>Melancholia by Lars von trier.
Watch "4:44, the Last Day of Earth" instead.

>And Blue is the warmest color.
Watch "Call Me by Your Name" instead.

I'm not. I just have a profoundly better opinion because of my vastly greater experience of watching far more movies while being intelligent and with plenty of life experience. Most don't have that. You shouldn't even argue unless you are 30 because you just lack all of the above.

>Watch "Call Me by Your Name" instead.
Beach Rats was better. Hell, Thelma was better.

>you picked those 2 wow
>wow
Nice rebuttal baka

You should watch them before you knock on them. I promise you that you are in for an experience. Provided you know what love is and if you ever had an eventful life or experienced sadness.

frederick wiseman

"Thelma" was nonsensical and visually jumbled.