Watchmen Pt. 3

Now that we have the main series out of the way (with it being immensly more enjoyable than I remember), we're going to shift to the Before Watchmen comics (I have the single issues). Prior threads are here:

Starting this thread from home so bumps are really really super duper appreciated! Also I decided to remove the Crimson Corsair backups because I wouldn't be posting them in chronological order. Instead, I'll see about finding them all collected in the proper order and then post that.

RIP Cooke. I genuinely enjoyed Minutemen and Silk Spectre.

Is it time to shit now?

Right there with ya. I recently re-read this series and I was genuinely surprised by how well Cooke pulled this off.

Not now, but probably in the next thread.

Hollis was such an awesome character.

I'd love to hear what other individuals think about Cooke's portrayal of Blake. I find it polarizing. I'd argue he has a pretty good take on Blake in his later years but 16 year old Comedian is an odd duck to write.

>HAR HAR HAR!
I fucking love that.

Cooke immediately follows up his intriguing Comedian introduction with one of the strongest introductions I've ever seen. I knew nothing about Mothman other than he was institutionalized in Moore's work and here he seems like so much more.

This page really gets to me.

YOu can't help who you love, Hollis.

Absolutely fantastic first issue. I know I might be laying on the praise a little thick but I sincerley enjoyed Cooke's contributions to the Before Watchmen universe. JMS' Dr. Manhattan series is also a standout.

this was one of the better ones

Although it wasn't nearly as critical this series, I enjoy that Cooke implemented the 3x3 grid for a good number of pages.

Getting a Venture Bros vibe from this page.

wow...

God dammit guys.

Silhouette's face to Laurence's statement is priceless.

Hooded Justice is definteily one of the more interesting parts of this series. Cooke managed to give him so much more of a presence that his initial appearance in the series.

So, Comedian is an orphan, right?

We never got to see much of her in the original book, but I always loved how Cooke drew Silhouette's costume here.

It reminds me of older pulp heroes like The Shadow (probably intentional, considering her name), that combination of superhero and noir detective is what I really like.

>oldschool superhero team
>3/8 original members are gay

what does it mean?

Hollis is best boy.

I really like the Nam story. I always felt like it could be a genuine moment of humanity on his part, or just some manipulative bullshit, or a combination of the two.

Bumps

Makes sense that Hooded Justice would be the S of the S&M..

=(

Is the Iron Lid the Punisher we deserve?
his sentence structure reminds me of the german language. Not sure if that was intentional or not. The holocaust was published after the war after all.

>Jim Lee's Watchmen
Barf.

Love this mini though, fuck the haters.

I really love how Cooke drew women.

>Higher moral standard?
>Is that a joke?
No, but you are. Attempted rape of a teammate (supposed friend) in no way shape or form compares to blowing up a warehouse full of fireworks.

16 year old Comedian is a straight up cunt.

>hoist a nigger like he was a bag of dirty clothes by the sm massa necktie he is wearing
Now if he was using the rope like a tie, drew him in and then did some kind of judo throw using Hooded Justice momentum...

I'm glad Cooke doesn't pull any punches with his characters. They are so unlike anything I get in current Marvel or DC.

18 year old Comedian has a ballin costume (hell most of his costumes are pretty swanky). Also this series is really making me wanna go back and adapt my comic for the 3x3 grid. When I first started writing, I wanted to do a modern story in a retro style but when I started using the grid I know I didn't take full advantage of it. Now I feel like it's something I'd like to tackle again now that I have enough examples of works that use it.
>Watchmen by Moore
>Fell by Ellis
>The Omega Men by King
>The Wild Storm by Ellis
>Before Watchmen: MInutemen (for a lot of it).
.>Secret Avengers Vol. 1 #19 (great issue).
>Vision by King
>Spider-Man (Ditko) - I need to read more of this.

This page hits me more than I expected.

This was an excellent page.

Cooke managed to take characters that barely got in a line or two in the original work and made them into more compelling individuals than most Big 2 characters (but this is just my opinion). In not even six issues Cooke has made me care about Hollis, Sillhoutee, Byron, and Hooded Justice to some extent.