/who/ - Doctor Who General

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BFu8dC-aFIw
twitter.com/jonnymorris1973/status/926754461359341576
twitter.com/jonnymorris1973/status/926755186152038401
twitter.com/jonnymorris1973/status/926761293117353984
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What are your thoughts on Gareth Roberts /who/?

based

I liked the Caretaker.

Everything wrong with Doctor Who fans that isn't covered by Ian Levine.

Introducing... Trip OCs.

These characters have been created for the express purpose of shipping with existing trips. You can also roleplay as them and imagine interactions with the real trips, if you'd like to.

Bios (including shipping potential) will be posted soon.

>gareth roberts

I don't want to talk about his personality, but kino writer, and very consistent in quality

he's a dickhead who wrote the same episode three times in a row

lazy writer

If you ever feel like reading a Doctor Who book, Gareth's "Only Human" is 9/Rose/Jack/caveman kino.

>same episode three times in a row
Gattis?

Uhhh irreverent and lovely. Especially if you extend it to SJA.
The Unicorn and the Wasp, The Lodger, The Caretaker, all classics. He's usually hilarious, but even when his humour doesn't quite work it's still charming. Like your Dad cracking a bad joke.

read 2 times, very good

What are your thoughts on Sarah Dollard /who/?

good when she is not acting sjw

Would be good if she wasn't so eager to join in on "Punch a Nazi" meme.

uh... formulaickino? I dunno, she's really good at capturing joy and discovery and I really enjoyed both her episodes.

A new Who writer with a lot of potential for growth. Two episodes and zero duds puts her only slightly behind Mathieson.

nope, gareth.

the lodger, closing time, caretaker

literally the same episodes

Lol, The Master is a dick.

Do you think Gareth Roberts and Sarah Dollard have anything in common /who/?

The War Master set was pure kino all the way through.

No.

Starfu isn't even a trip anymore, and certainly isn't female.

Also, that's not Immigrant. He's said multiple times.

would fuck

Both too obsessed by politics. Both pretty good Doctor Who writers.

No, that's Horseshoe Theory, which is gay.

Is that a canon opinion? I might get it.

>the lodger, closing time, caretaker
I believe that in at least 2 times, he was asked to make it as the most cheap episode of the series
as much as Boomtown

Where is this Socratic questioning intended to take us?

I was more thinking of how they both execute standard-sounding Doctor Who stories with a lot of personal flair.

Thanks! Eventually I'll read it.

>but even when his humour doesn't quite work it's still charming. Like your Dad cracking a bad joke.
THIS, this, this! Couldn't express this myself, but that's exactly how I feel

Decent enough writer to write for DW, but I never had a real emotional connection with her episodes, they are just okay. Never understood the hype of her return after face the raven either.

The Lodger is about jealousy/motivating a relationship, Closing Time is about insecurity towards oneself, and The Caretaker is just completely fucking different. Instead of the Doctor fixing a relationship, it's a pre-established relationships that impacts the Doctor in a way, but The Caretaker is only a small piece of that story. And people forget just how sober and non-comedic the second half of that story is.

Oh I think you of all people know quite well where ;)

not even the best roberts in Doctor Who.

Wholesome Eric is best Roberts.

Just think about it I feel like series 10 is series 1 in term of reintroducing doctor who to people again what is doctor and companion, one simple story arch and regeneration at the end

NeN8 confirmed?

What I find interesting with S10 is for all S10 was originally billed as a "jump on here, this is the new Unearthly Child/Spearhead/Rose/Eleventh Hour, brand new standalone series", it devolved into labyrinthine continuity references (fucking Alpha Centurai, Missy/Simm, Mondasian Cybermen, etc), but in a way I don't really think just operates as laziness or Moff and co falling back into old habits, but kind of a thematic reinforcement of the finale's point about "you can't escape your past". For all the self-improvement Missy might do, she can't undo the excesses of Simm, and for all the continuity-shedding Who might do, it can't really shake off its history in a sense. Starting off as "dive in here, no continuity required" and yet ending in a huge fanwank clusterfuck actually works for the finale as like a "you cant escape your past" thing a la Simm killing Gomez worked in an odd way imo. Not as neat an "introductory" series idea as S1, but certainly an interesting idea for a Doctor Who series, whether intended or not.

ye a soft reboot and i expect s11 to be the same but i can't help to think that chibnall is going experimental

>Simple story arc
But you've got background of Nardole and River informing the events, established character Missy in the vault, previous male version of said character as the main villain, and return of a semi-obscure monster design as a dramatic hook.

You said something like that before here and it legitimately made me change the way I saw S10. Really good analysis.

I hope Frank Cottrell Boyce writes a Series 11 episode. His episodes are really good.

If Cottrell Boyce comes back, he needs someone to rewrite the fuck out of his script so he doesn't balls up the ending and thematic content.

new people can understand who the master is

just like new people understood who the daleks were in series 1

>His episodes are really good
Source?

Reminder

youtube.com/watch?v=BFu8dC-aFIw

Yeah but you wouldn't throw in the Emperor and Davros all at once, which is essentially the equivalent to what we got in the S10 finale.

Thats what they said while making the tv movie.

i unironically liked the episode

Cheers!

Sure, but there was no episode designed to reintroduce the concept of the Master like there was for S1, and I don't think you can ignore how continuity-loaded the finale is - Mondasian Cybermen, two Masters, regeneration, literally hinging off the idea of the past's effect on the present and whether people can transcend their pasts, etc. You wouldn't see S1 earnestly referencing The World Shapers to make a thematic point.

Dolloping on tonnes more continuity over an initially very continuity-free character like Nardole feels reflective of S10's direction, to the point of going from standalone gag character, to pretty well lore-integrated, to maddeningly lore-complicated and nearly impossible to neatly fit in (trying to reconcile Mysterio with Extremis is difficult). A case study in Doctor Who writing.

Is comfy brigadier the best brigadier?

You have to cast a new female incarnation of the Master to appear alongside Whittaker's Doctor, who do you go with? (Forget for a moment that she's supposed to be dead.)

Certainly better than this Brigadier.

Motherfuckin Nicola Bryant.

Bring her back, make her the master, fuck with people thinking peri is making an appearance.

>trying to reconcile Mysterio with Extremis is difficult
I've thought about this, and I don't think it's actually as difficult as one would think. In Series 10, it seems Nardole's main hangup is with the Doctor going off-world. So staying on/orbiting Earth in order to save it seems fair game, especially given that destruction of the Earth would, y'know, destroy or release Missy. And I guess the Doctor giving Grant the superhero pill happened after Husbands but pre-Missy's execution?

I'd pull from Broadchurch like Chibnall likes to do, and use Vicky McClure (excellent actor, kino in This is England too, can do complicated emotions really well) or Marianne Jean-Baptise (does seething maliciousness really well).

Average writers with embarrassing Twitter feeds.

Maybe one day we'll get an audio that will untangle it a bit, be it a Matt Lucas companion chronicle type deal, or even full cast with Capal.

>trying to reconcile Mysterio with Extremis is difficult
I think he figured it out
twitter.com/jonnymorris1973/status/926754461359341576
twitter.com/jonnymorris1973/status/926755186152038401
twitter.com/jonnymorris1973/status/926761293117353984

>Vicky McClure
Oh, ohhhhhh yes that is good

Nth for Carl

Stop forcing this fucking meme

It still fails to account for why Nardole doesn't bitch at 12 about looking after the vault at any point during Mysterio.

Neo and McGanon don't follow each other on Twitter anymore

holy fuck

creep

The trip worship really is getting out of control desu

>It's real
welp

Because the episode was written before Moffat came up with the Vault arc.

That's weird, they were even a few days ago. They even said hello to each other here a few days ago, albeit a bit stiffly.

Why do you care? Stop stalking them. It's so fucking creepy. They're fucking trips, that's it. You don't know them personally. Just fucking stop. All your doing is making /who/ shit with your garbage posts. Christ.

The Doctor convinced him to let him have one trip for Christmas?

Stop samefagging. Nobody cares about that shit

For better or worse, you're deluded if you think only one person cares about that sort of thing here.

STOP STALKING THEM. You're fucking creepy.

It is one person and that person is you.

Fuck off and stop making /who/ shit. All you do is try and force shitty drama.

If they were bothered by it they would have said so, especially since they even made a point to say once they didn't like other people talking for them when people white knighted them.

Neo has been making good /who/ related posts all thread, you people having a fit over the typical obsessives are bringing the thread down as much if not more than they are. Just stop replying.

Trips usually don't respond to shitposters though besides Judy.

Immigrant does it naively

Neo responds to the invasive posts about him all the time, it clearly doesn't bother him. Why not just ask him straight up if it does instead of trying to speak for him

>it's a "n8 edit's loz's page yet again" episode

> Why not just ask him straight up if it does instead of trying to speak for him
Why didn't you do that in the first place?

N8's unironic worship of loz is honestly uncomfortable.

It clearly bothers several posters here though, so stop.

I turned off tripcodes so i don't know who is who.

Maria was always better than Rani, and so was her relationship with Sarah Jane. Anyone know why Yasmin Paige left after one season?

If I had a question for him, I would.

She was busy with School

no

Reasonably inventive writer. I agree with some of his politics but I find him vulgar and smug as a person.

If Chibs has a five year plan for the show, do you think this possibly includes Jodie spanning the entirety of his tenure? I'm sure it would've come up when the pair of them were negotiating during the audition/casting process.

This is literally the most you've actually ever contributed to a discussion on /who/.

Weak.

he will have his regen and 2 docs
just because the other 2 had it

yes

I'm honestly surprised that Neo and McGanon were actually together in the first place. I thought it was just a meme and nothing more.

>ever contributed
because it generally leads to politics and hell breaks lose

did they fug?