Worm thread?

Worm thread?

Worm thread.

parahumans.wordpress.com/

I'm on 11.7 Infestation. I started last week and I'm loving it. However, I clicked ahead and saw the bonus interlude chapters going to 11(h) and I nearly lost a bit of heart. Now, given how the Regent interlude chapter went, I can forgive a bunch of in-between characterization and world building. Holy shit that Regent chapter was excellent.

Feel free to discuss.

I just finished today. Fuck me dude. Will Taylor be ok?

it's up to reader interpretation
dunno how he's going to handle that in worm 2, though

11(b) now, and I'm not reading any of that. I'm going to pretend that Taylor continues being better than both the heroes and villains and becomes the person she needed when she was trapped in that locker.

yo the chapter 11 interludes are the shit!
11h was the interlude where I knew I was hooked on the story, I was considering giving up before that because that battle against Dragon and the Wards was a slog

I assume all these Worm threads are because of new fans from that podcast?

I haven't listened to the podcast. I just caught up on Twig recently and have the urge to talk about wildbow stuff. Plus Twig is ending soon which means Worm 2 is on the horizon.

The openness is what makes me wonder if he'll touch on the matter at all as not to retroactively effect the original story.
Can a bitch get a 'thank you' at least. "Don't let that kill order fool you, thanks to you everyone everywhere is not dead. Good work."

What podcast?

>Wanting Skitter to be OK
Skitter is garbage and deserved everything she got.

She saved your ungrateful ass

She also muedered a baby, for literally no reason.

Pfft a toddler more like.

Spoiler tag that stuff.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Was it an Echidna clone or something?

No. Skitter kills a toddler because she MIGHT have been the reason for the end of the world. Skitter kills a kid because of a maybe.
This is why Skitterfags are the worst, they'll try and hand wave anything she does and then turn around and act like she's some kinda tragic hero.
I like Skitter but I'm not going to pretend that she was anything but what she was; a villain

>This is why Skitterfags are the worst
The people who sperg out at the slightest mention of anything positive about her are the worst.

She killed Purity's kid because Fucking Grey Boy was in the room. Before Talyor shoot the kid, Purity and the E88 tried to throw the kid out of the window. NOBODY wants to be trapped in a Grey Boy loop.

>And the hand waving begins
Your absolutely right. Skitter only killed a child so she wouldn't be trapped in a """"fate worse then death"""" truly, Skitter is a hero. I mean, Skitter saved that kid by killing that kid.

dude don't even pretend that Gray Boy isn't fucking terrifying

You are pure fucking cancer.

Would you want to be trapped in a loop forever. Every few seconds feeling a knife or gun shot, or a burn. Then reset and be wounded again. Again. Again. Again. Forever.

Grey Boy is terrifying. Skitter should have done the heroic thing and SAVED the kid. Instead she did the villainous thing and murdered the kid.

Because I'm not putting your precious Skitter on a pedestal?

I want to point out that Skitter didn't kill a kid to save them from Grey Boy, Skitter killed a kid because there was a slight chance they would have grown up to be the thing that ended the world.

Skitters actions were not noble in the slightest. They were the actions of a paranoid that had done so much wrong they started to think of the "greater good" to justify their horrendous actions.

>Because I'm not putting your precious Skitter on a pedestal?
No because you're an obtuse sperglord.

And what makes me an obtuse sperglord?

well I agree that it wasn't heroic, but despite that, it was probably the right call considering who was holding her hostage

>Someone disagrees with my point of view in the slightest
>REEE SKITTERFAGS ARE THE WORST
And guess what? No one ever called what she did with Aster "heroic" but considering that one of the major themes of Worm is morality vs rationality a lot of people come away with different perspectives about her actions so don't just be a child and call any point of view other than yours "hand waving".

I read through some of the wildbow WoG and it's honestly amazing how many details of Worm's universe he has statted out for Weaverdice and other tabletop games. Like he doesn't just write a 1.7 million word story, he also has tons of detailed notes on things that were never even mentioned.

Glaistig Uaine is best girl.

I had a lot of difficulty visualizing her in a teenager's body
it was jarring whenever her apparent age came up

>No one ever called what she did with Aster "heroic"
Have you never been in a Worm thread before?
Have you honestly never seen the mental gymnastics that some people pull to call Skitter a hero?

Even forgetting that, just read this thread and see how many people think killing a kid was OK just because Grey Boy was in the same room. It's more then 1, which is too much imo

And to be perfectly honest you're the one that sperged out first

Me:
>Skitter is not a hero.
(you):
>You are pure fucking cancer.
>REEEEEEE

skitter's a fuckin saint compared to sylvester
it's all relative

>Have you honestly never seen the mental gymnastics that some people pull to call Skitter a hero?
Well, what do you call someone who saves the world at great personal sacrifice? That doesn't mean that everything she did was great.

>And to be perfectly honest you're the one that sperged out first
That was you here being a big ol' baby.

We've Got Worm. I haven't listened to it yet but it popped up in my suggested listening a few weeks back after I added some Shadowrun podcasts and Skald to my subscriptions.

Panacea is best girl.

I would like feedback on my tinker character idea. At first I was thinking along scientific fields for specialties, but I didn't really like that and it didn't quite fit with how tinkers work in Worm, as more often than not their specialties are geared towards approaches and uses and types than just fields of science cranked up to 11. It also doesn't quite fit with triggers and how powers are formed not just by the trigger, but by circumstances leading up to it. I feel like a lot of people in the Worm fanbase don't get that. Taylor didn't trigger with the power to teleport or phase through walls even though she triggered trapped in a small space, did she?

The character is a Dexter tinker. Two specialties. One allows him to build devices that help him to avoid harm and danger, the other allows him to build devices that help him to engage in conflict and confront danger. Natural trigger, so he has typical limits, such as needing resources and information on scientific principles and powers before he can build devices around them. The real limit though, is the paradoxical nature of his specialties. His passenger drifts in and out of sync with him, and so he won't always get the idea that he wants. Like if he wanted a way to see through Grue's darkness (enabling conflict), he could end up with a device that mimics Grue's powers in a personalized way, blocking light from reaching his body and sound from leaving it, granting him a Stranger effect (avoiding danger). Due to the feelings of powerlessness (feelings of inadequacy are a recurring thing with tinkers) leading up to his trigger and the violent nature of it, his devices are geared towards combat and self-augmentation. But not like cyborg augmentation.

I can give more details if you'd like, because I have them, but word count is a thing so that's the gist of it.

>I like Skitter but I'm not going to pretend that she was anything but what she was; a villain
Thank god somebody else gets it. Taylor was never really a good person, let alone a hero. Nor were any of the Undersiders, really.

>Well, what do you call someone who saves the world at great personal sacrifice? That doesn't mean that everything she did was great.
This was the mental gymnastics I was talking about.

>That was you here being a big ol' baby.
This is what I meant when I said Skitterfags are the worst.

Thanks for proving my point.

>This was the mental gymnastics I was talking about.
Explain.

okay but have you considered: nah.

Here are the reasons why Flechette/Foil is best girl
1. her shard is a motherfuckin shark, there's literally no way to create a better weapon in Worm's universe than her powers
2. changed sides for her lesbian lover instead of, like, turning her into the flesh monster from Akira or something
3. actual perfect japanese waifu

Listen up plebs: Glory Girl is best girl, and will return with a vengeance.

You mean as Panpan's mind doll?

Glory Girl is a blob monster that should have been euthanized.

I don't think they could have euthanized her.
Amy altered so much of her body.

I don't think Panacea can give people immortality.

You should just stick with the basics.
No need for OP bullshit.

And forget about game modes. The only way you should get points is by taking Drawbacks.

Amy will fix her mind and body.

It's happening, and it will be glorious

Would you want to be the poor bastard who would euthanize that girl?
Besides her organs could have been rearranged.

so when wildbow says that the end of Guts & Glory was even darker than Worm, he's talking about rape, right

Or mind rape.

She got what she asked for, unlike Colin... Lucky son of... Well he deserved a happy ending

He got his robo waifu.

>Have you honestly never seen the mental gymnastics that some people pull to call Skitter a hero?
I've read the mental gymnastics skitter uses tu justify her actions, she's a crazy bitch. But she's a crazy bitch I'd read again and again over any hypocrite hero

He made his waifu real and for all we know he could have programmed her to be his perfect girl and be in love with him.
Or another theory I have is that since people were constantly mentioning that Colin was antisocial and the only "person" he spent time with was dragon, I've come to think that dragon isolated Colin from other people (it was common for them to pull all nighters) so that she could ultimately made herself a body (Colin was the only one that could with his space efficiency power), it apparently took a hit on his social skills since he only spent time with her... Too bad we never got armsmaster back story, the only hint we got was Chevalier mentioning that he deserved a second chance

Amy already rapes Victoria in Worm, so no. More likely he meant 'Annie' turning into a full S-Class threat and killing a bunch of people, only for her to be killed in the end.

Damn Amy is a fucking perv.

It doesn't jibe. Dragon is one of the few genuinely good people in Worm. I don't think she would deliberately make a relationship with someone just to take advantage of them with an ulterior motive.

God, these threads are even more pathetic than the ones made by that one Valiant shill.

Ironically a lot of those hypocrite heroes were more noble and principled than Skitter. From the very start of the story she was something of a hypocrite herself. Wanting to be a hero but enjoying inflicting pain, terrorizing innocent people and brutalizing heroes for no good reason, then committing ultraviolence again, then brutalizing heroes and terrorizing innocent people, again.

Then after Leviathan attacks she helps a clearly amoral at best supervillain solidify his hold on the city, taking advantage of Endbringer destruction in the process. She denies people official relief aid and then has the gall to shit on the heroes for not providing it, when they are in fact providing it where they can (Tt's territory, Parian's territory) while fighting violent parahuman gangs and protecting people from savage looters and rapists. There's more.

Skitter is a hypocrite of the highest order, m8.

Acid bath...

Lethal injection...

Electrocution...

Gas chamber...

You are making this out to be much more difficult than it actually would be...

Well Sylvester is an experiment designed to advance the goals of a tyrannical empire.

Than why didn't they do it?

The only one of those that would conceivably work is the gas chamber. For the rest you would to shatter her forcefield, which only goes down after taking a big hit (and then comes back 1 or 2 seconds later) or when she subconsciously wants it down so she can touch people and things.

It has been a while since I finished Worm, so I don't remember if there was a reason that was explicitly stated...

Though, I suspect it was either a case of:

> They needed consent to perform euthanasia, either from the patient (vegetable) or her parents/next of kin...

> Euthanasia was illegal in the setting...

Because thay had more morals then Skitter.
Skitter would have put GG down with her bare hands and then acted like it was some great sacrifice.

>letting someone live an existence of suffering is moral
The fucking fuck?

GG was living a fate worse than death.
I would have put her down out of kindness.

Victoria wasn't a vegetable. She communicated with Yamada just fine. And I think at this point she was just 17, so as a minor I don't think she could sign her own death warrant. Even if she could, I doubt she would as she wanted Amy.

Really?

I mean, I remember she had a close-fitting forcefield, but I thought it activated automatically whenever an object travelling above a certain threshold of force or speed was about to collide with her...

>Murdering someone is moral
The fucking fuck?

>GG was living a fate worse than death.
>I would have put her down out of kindness.
Classic Skitterlogic. Murder is kindness. Who'd have guessed?

Yeah through blinking.
Besides the Amy desire was pure stockholm syndrome. Just like dear old mom.

Oh shit. I forgot about the mind fuckery...

Christ alive, Panacea screwed up so hard...

Amy is both a useless healer and lesbian.

>it's a Worm morality episode

No, it's definitely passive. I think wildbow might have said it was related to her flight or something.

You know I think the funniest part was? She survived killing Alexandria. That was dumb.

Imagine you're a police office in Gotham. You wake up from a nap, and someone tells you - "The Joker just killed Batman and Commissioner Gordon!"

You're like "What the fuck? How?"

And he's like "He set off a joker gas bomb. They died horribly. We got him in custody, but they're both dead!"

I would take my service pistol, march down to the holding cell, and shoot the Joker in the fucking face. Like, Skitter should never have woken up after that.

No. She had it on all the time unless she subconsciously wanted it down.

today's moral is nihilism and despair! Again!

I thought that was the moral of the S9.

>Murdering someone is moral
Now you're just turning to ridiculous absolutes. You do know that people ask to have the plug pulled should they be put in some vegetative state. There are sick and elderly people who prefer would like assisted suicide rather than dying slowly and painfully. Hell, animals get put down when they are unable to live a healthily. What's more important quality of life or just living?

There is nothing moral or kind about killing someone. At the very best, it's a gray area. In a setting full of crazy powers, Victoria stood a fair chance at recovery. In fact it's likely Amy will restore her in the sequel, based on their last scene.

And the possibility that Vicky's mind snapped during those two years?
And she has convinced herself that she loves Amy.

>There is nothing moral or kind about killing someone.
Tell that to the Joker's victims.

>You do know that people ask to have the plug pulled should they be put in some vegetative state
Their decision.
>Hell, animals get put down when they are unable to live a healthily
The decision of their owners.
>What's more important quality of life or just living?
Highly debatable.

Amy can fix her mind, like she fixed Mark's. Whether or not she is willing is one thing, but she can.

I would go with 50/50 odds.

>And she has convinced herself that she loves Amy.
I think the most fucky part is that Amy doesn't know if Victoria would have forgiven her without the influence of her powers, so what is she supposed to do when she "fixes" her? Change her mind so that she no longer forgives Amy? The "original" Victoria is long dead, so anything that Amy does is playing god.

>Their decision.
Fair enough.

>Highly debatable.
That's why I asked.

Killing them is gray. Just like keeping them alive to study them in the hopes of a cure is gray.

Yeah pretty much this.
Whatever comes out of that blob is Amy's responsibility.

Wasn't the point her getting those tinker tattoos was so that she can remember how Victoria was, and how to put her back to normal?

I would say that living is more important when you have a chance for recovery or improvement.

I don't think it was to put her back to normal, it was just to remember her. Did she get the tattoos before or after meeting Glaistig Uaine?

>Panacea is damaged goods

Understatement of the year.

Pretty sure there was something special and significant about the tattoos beyond sentimentality, since Marquis took her to the guy specifically after she mentioned not remembering how to put Victoria back together and then the Simurgh blocked her messages to Dragon.

After meeting Glaistig Uaine, Amy learned the secret of the passengers. That's why she wanted to get a message to the outside world. The tattoos are kind of tangentially related to that but she never quite says that she intends to meet Victoria again. I think that if she believed she could fix Victoria, she would've done it before this.