So is this show any good...

So is this show any good? I've always avoided it because I assumed it was just a show that just namedrops random science mumbo jumbo and spouts memes and appeals to people who think just those aspects make a show brilliant.

But is it actually good? Like as an honest opinion, not just hating on it to be contrarian or because it's popular.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=70VE4t736JQ
youtube.com/watch?v=xRxZgXIiFD4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It gets a few chuckles out of me. I think most people hate it because it espouses reddit tier le intellectual nihilism.

It's overhyped but it's pretty good. If you want to hate it it's not going to win you over but otherwise it's worth watching.

Rick and Morty is a sci-fi comedy that fails at both being sci-fi and being comedy.

The humor boils down to the characters yelling at each other in confusion as something nonsensical happens in the background and the sci-fi boils down to nonsensical rando moments because lol, isn't the universe strange and confusing?!?

It's kinda like a foul mouthed doctor who where everyone is a piece of shit.

Sup Forums absolutely loved it during season 1, then it got popular and now Sup Forums hates it.

It's a good show though, would recommend.

>The humor boils down to the characters yelling at each other in confusion as something nonsensical happens in the background and the sci-fi boils down to nonsensical rando moments because lol, isn't the universe strange and confusing?!?
See what I mean? I have never seen a more accurate description of Doctor Who put to words.

It's pretty good but Sup Forums hates it now because it became popular. Worth watching for sure.

like with everything on this board, they can't share things with mainstream audiences because it reminds them of the greatest thing they fear, being cucked.

its good. it doesn't deserve the highest of highest praise, but it doesn't deserve any hate.

its perfect to enjoy when you have a chunk of time and revisit every now and again. im not saying it they are totally alike, but it feels like watching early season simpsons. just the feeling, not like the actual jokes and stuff.

>The humor boils down to the characters yelling at each other in confusion as something nonsensical happens in the background and the sci-fi boils down to nonsensical rando moments because lol, isn't the universe strange and confusing?!?
that is every sc fi universe ever you idiot

My roommate tried to start watching this but I sat on the couch repeating "This is Reddit this is memes" over and over till he went upstairs. I did good

The McCoy years were badass though.

>namedrops random science mumbo jumbo

When you say this I think of Futurama, which had BS super-science but occasionally handwaived it with something real because the writers had PhDs and couldn't resist making oblique nerd jokes.

R&M doesn't really have that because I don't think the writers know or care about real science. It's just goofy shit.

That's not a bad thing. The show's honestly fine.

Good sci-fi universes are like good fantasy universes where they try to make sense out of their nonsense. Adding in rich lore and offering at least some (no matter how bullshit) explanation as to how certain things work.

Rick and Morty does none of this. And they highlight the fact that they don't by having the main character constantly tell Morty not to focus on details.

Here you go OP.

This is Justin Roiland's early work. The humor used in this video is exactly the kind of humor used on Rick and Morty.

youtube.com/watch?v=70VE4t736JQ

Beth fucks horses after morty becomes a god emperor

First season's great. Second kinda drops in quality.

Does the show MEAN to spout reddit tier intellectual nihilism?

I'm not going to go into it hating it. I want to judge it on what it is, not let something arbitrary affect my judgment of it.

How does it drop in quality?

Futurama is also something that i've been on the fence about because I got the same impression from it that I got from Rick and Morty. I didn't like it when I was a teenager. It felt like they were constantly trying to portray this idea that everyone in the show was lazy or stupid or shitty in some way and that that's somehow endearing and cool.

I saw the first three episodes of Rick and Morty and I really enjoyed it. What are your thoughts on my thoughts on Futurama?

It's pretty funny. It does have some "reddit" humour if you don't like that stuff, but it has creative ideas and is overall one of the better animated adult comedy shows on right now.
The fanbase is a cancer, and don't watch any of those "philosophy" videos, in which idiots extrapolate non-existent lore and themes.

How would you define "reddit" humor?

Atheism, excessive meta references, lol so random jokes (especially for the Interdimensional Cable episodes)

>I assumed it was just a show that just namedrops random science mumbo jumbo and spouts memes and appeals to people who think just those aspects make a show brilliant.
what are you even on about

It's okay. Like anything Dan Harmon is attached to it suffers hugely from having him attached to it.

Rick mentions atheism like twice in the show. I don't know why people think this is a huge plot point.

I think what user meant was nihilism.

if you don't like Futurama (pre cancellation) then kill yourself

It's Catcher in the Rye with a side of aethism and extra ego stroking

I don't know whether I like it or not. I last watched it back in middle school and I remember not liking it back then.

>How does it drop in quality?
Too many episodes focus on Jerry's and Beth's shitty marriage issues.Some boring like Tiny Rick It's still a good season but pales in comparison to the first.

here's your (you) op

I watched the "giant heads force a singing contest" episode and the "evil Rick" episode.

It's not very good. Neither protagonist is likeable and there are few jokes that aren't made at someone's expense.
Might have liked it as a teenager. Past 30 I just don't think I'm the target

Nihilism is the thought that nothing matters, but in rick and morty it's quite the opposite. Rick tells morty that they need to protect the earth because they can't just move to a new one willy nilly. He encourages morty later on to stick around and freaks out when the world is compromised by giant heads or whatever. He even prays when shit hits the fan, so he's not even an atheist.

Nihilism is hardly a core principle of anyone in the cast. Rick is depressed, but he acknowledges that things have enough value to care for them.

It's fairly good. A mix of comedy, sci-fi, and small bits of drama. It's got its meh moments, but the good moments are very memorable.

It's a fun show, but people act like it is gods gift to tv. You watch it for the high jinx and slap stick, and it is great at that.

There is no real plot or character development till the last episode of season 2 and the first episode of season 3. Yet most people talk about it like it all continuity. It's an action comedy and that's about all. People just like to hype it up because "science"

>then it got popular and now Sup Forums hates it.

so the cartoons side of Sup Forums does this as well eh?

wtf is "reddit humor" btw?

Cotumblrs attempt to discredit a show where the starring characters are white males.

>namedrops random science mumbo jumbo and spouts memes
It does neither of these things. It's like 33% pop culture references, 33% cynical life observations, 33% awkward stuttering dialogue, 1% dark "real" moments. It works a lot of the time though. I notice most of the people who hate Rick really don't get his character.

It does mean to do it. Only the autistic think that the writers genuinely believe anything Rick says.

>hates it now because it became popular.
why do people do this to themselves? let others dictate what they like?

Yeah mostly. It's fast-paced humor that can be extremely clever. It's genre-aware and tries to keep ahead of cliches -- twists on the twists. imo it is truly edgy sometimes, that is, shocking and unexpected.

However because it is so steeped in the cliches of other movies and shows, it sometimes fails to rise above that in an ironic fashion, and just ends up being tired and predictable. Relentlessly ironic shows are always like that. Sometimes they try to pull on heart-strings out of nowhere, and it comes off like they're lazily copying corny old plotlines but want to hide it under a layer of irony. It's always trying to ride the line between serious and not serious, which can be funny but more often than not is a cowardly way to avoid a real plot, real emotions, etc. The show doesn't have an ongoing plot when it probably should, since it seems like the writers desire character development.

Also the family drama is irritating because the characters are dicks. Except for Morty too pure for this world

Because their identity revolves around being an "outcast" which becomes to them a sign of their own superiority so it becomes very important to never have anything in common with the normal people who rejected you.

self-congratulatory nihilism (because it's full of kids who just figured out the cake is a lie) and this annoying exaggerated fascination with science that's less actual interest and more 'look at how smart and/or unique I am'

also the pushing and parroting of simple, unfunny memes because redditors are, in fact, normies who have little understanding of meme magic.

It's pretty great, but the fanbase is pretty insufferable.

There's lots of clever writing in terms of how they use alternate realities and whatnot; like, one episode literally ends with them destroying the universe, only to zip away to an alternate universe that's nearly identical.

It's a pretty fun show, but it's also the kind of humor that attracts fedora-tippers.

>fanbase in insufferable

What fanbase? Only time I see R&M get discussed is when someone makes a thread aobut it here like OP with LE REDDIT XD XD.

There is no fanbase to speak of, no one makes their own parodies/images/comics etc like trannyverse.

>Past 30
>on Sup Forums

I thought meme magic was still pushing a meme, just in a way people are convinced is still """natural""".

Go onto YouTube and search "Rick and Morty theory" and you'll see what I mean.
Or just type "szechuan sauce" into any social media.

Right after he prayed, Rick got control of the situation again and shat on God.

i like morty

It is actually good.

That makes him a cunt, and a hypocrite, not a nihilist.

Yeah, talking to deities is typical atheist behaviour.

Rick is a Hollywood atheist. He "doesn't believe" because his wife blew up, or something. Hollywood atheism is mostly sulking about God disguised as disbelief in God.

Never, ever, disbelief in the supernatural. That would be making an argument the audience doesn't want to hear. "My wife died, I don't believe in ghosts or heaven any more!" doesn't work.

Nope, that's the wrong internal conflict. He should just become estranged from capital-G God, as if he had had an argument with his father. That's Hollywood atheism; that's Rick Sanchez.

I probably cared about this sort of thing... maybe 5 or 7 years ago. As it stands my disbelief is completely unenthusiastic. I don't think about religion either way any more, and as far as I'm concerned, people can believe whatever they want.

It annoys me when people pretend to have a belief (or disbelief) purely as an insincere prop, a piece of fake character development, though. Hence this post.

Rick and Morty is funny, and I'll be watching the new season, but definitely not reading too much into its supposed "depth."

>He "doesn't believe" because his wife blew up, or something.
That didn't happen, pay attention you mong.

>Never, ever, disbelief in the supernatural. That would be making an argument the audience doesn't want to hear.
What audience do you think would be receptive to "God doesn't exist" but draws the line at ghosts and heaven?

show has lots of problems
1. it's reddit
2. it's popular
3. very bad fanbase
4. some character said something I don't agree with one time

all in all would not recommend
best sci-fi in a while and is pretty funny too

>Being this autistic

>That didn't happen, pay attention you mong.
It's obvious that Rick lacks a wife and that Beth lacks a mother and that Rick went off the rails and abandoned Beth in the past.

That will be revealed to be why he became an atheist: because his wife got shot by Martians, or something. Or maybe he accidentally ran over her while she was playing with toys in the driveway. Very drama, so tragedy.

>What audience do you think would be receptive to "God doesn't exist" but draws the line at ghosts and heaven?
The American one. It's fine to have an atheist character as long as it's just an estrangement between him and and capital-G God.

But to for him to actually compare one set of popular supernatural beliefs with an unpopular set of supernatural beliefs... Uh oh. That would be what atheism actually looks like, and that would be actual controversy when all the writers need is the appearance of controversy.

its entertaining.
Fuck what 4chinz and redoodle say about it. Just watch an episode and find out if you like it.

It's pretty shitty.

The jokes suck and are repetitive.

if you didn't like season 1, don't bother.

If you dislike the show solely because it seems popular, kill yourself.

>joke suck and are repetitive

name one

burping

The jokes are literally just either the characters stuttering over each other or Rick pointing out how futile existence is while Morty flips out.

Burping isnt a joke but a character trait.
Stuttering dialogue isn't a joke either. Rick hasn't pointed out to morty that existence is futile at all. If he did he wouldn't have been going so far as to save his life on many occasions including sacrificing himself. He's a raging drunk whos trying to keep it together after witnesses and causing world ending events. Would you be any more sane?

Have you still not realized Sup Forums is full of hipsters, contrarians and autists?

1/3 of the episodes are good/great
1/3 of the episodes are mediocre
1/3 of the episodes suck

>Stuttering dialogue isn't a joke either

Hence why it sucks.

>Rick hasn't pointed out to morty that existence is futile at all.

He does that all the time.

Except he doesn't. Morty has only one speech where he talks about how nothing matters and to come watch tv, and he came to that conclusion on his own.

We're not talking about Morty. We're talking about Rick. Also, all of Justin's humor is the same as his little web shorts.

Yes but point out where rick keeps telling morty that life is meaningless according to you.

The only time rick even mentions god was telling summer to rip off that bandaid, and several episodes later he was praying to said god begging for mercy. He's a drunk hypocrite, and his family is the only reason he hasnt blown his brains out.

He's that way because he's aware that he's a cartoon character, and the multiverse episode explained that with them going into lower and lower steps. This is why rick breaks the fourth wall and talks to the audience because we're one level higher than him, and he fears that.

Avoid the fans and its pretty good.

The Venture Bros stars entirely white males and everyone here loves it.
Care to try harder?

>Yes but point out where rick keeps telling morty that life is meaningless according to you.

Literally ever fucking episode. Morty or Summer will bring up something trivial in life, like love, and Rick will go on a rant about how it's meaningless and how life is meaningless.

>The only time rick even mentions god was telling summer to rip off that bandaid

What does nihilism have to do with God?

>and several episodes later he was praying to said god begging for mercy. He's a drunk hypocrite, and his family is the only reason he hasnt blown his brains out.

Again, what does any of this have to do with nihilism?

>He's that way because he's aware that he's a cartoon character, and the multiverse episode explained that with them going into lower and lower steps. This is why rick breaks the fourth wall and talks to the audience because we're one level higher than him, and he fears that.

You're looking /way/ to into a show that has a butt reality in it. You're talking about the creator who writes all his shows the same youtube.com/watch?v=xRxZgXIiFD4

>R&M doesn't really have that because I don't think the writers know or care about real science. It's just goofy shit.
This pisses me off more than it should because one of the things that made me like the show was when Rick convinced the aliens to mix Cesium and water.