Why is this Film so bad and on top of that so overrated ?

One of the best movies ever desu

I like it.

thought it was pretty good desu. just stay the fuck away from the director's cut

Back to r*ddit

My cousin made a special effort to get me to watch this back in high school, and I was like why did you hype this babbys first philosophical movie so much?

ok

I didn't get it someone explain pls

he dies at the beginning and the film is him in limbo accepting his death

it's for teenagers

Donnie Darko is art

it was pretty shitty

>acting was cringe as fuck (expect the conservative aunt)

> story was completly retarded

>the forced teenie romance was beyond retarded, teacher :"sit next to the sweetest boy"

but the dc makes it passable

>why is this film so bad and on top of that so overrated
2deep4u, what's the matter can't handle a time travel plot with free will implications?

But he didn't accept shit he died like a bitch but wanted to be a hero instead wtf

>2deep4u

yeah

it was a right time right place movie. it hasn't aged well at all. i think a big part of why it got popular was due to how cute jena malone is in it

ITT: Movies you loved as a kid, but realized were complete shit after becoming an adult

Keanu Reeves is great in this, not sure why people hate him.

>jena malone

cute ehhhh, her acting skills were fucking bad in that film

What does the director's cut do? Explain.

It's not bad.
Yes, it's overrated, not in quality but in supposed complexity.

r/im14andthisisdeep

it's not really complex, the director just left out a bunch of details that explained what was happening

>some dumb irrelevant bitch is why is got popular

This is how Sup Forums waifufags actually think lmao

This is right up there with garden state in this catagorh for me

>the director has to explain every little detail in a film for me, I'm incapable of using my wittle pea brain to connect dots and come up with the true meaning of the story myself

2deep4u brainlet

>teacher :"sit next to the sweetest boy"
I fucking hate that scene. I say this as someone who likes the movie.

You guessed it.

its shit and deserves to be downvoted out of imdb's top 250 so nobody feels obligated to watch this crap anymore

how the fuck is this in the list and conan the barbarian isn't?

something's not right in the world

good thing we got Life is Strange which does it all better with lesbians

lol no one knew what was happening in the movie until the director came out and explained it a few years ago. are you old enough to remember that?

oh god I was cucked by zach braff
>I love scrubs so I love garden state

this, its fucking dogshit and dont come with muh its soooo complicated,

>because I'm a retard no one understood it please believe me

Pathetic

more like because i'm 30 and never read one convincing theory about what was happening in the movie. no one really figured it all out

>movies you knew were overhyped trash when you watched them as an adolescent, but everyone else your age thought they were masterpieces

Explain how its bad

The Director's cut explains it with excerpts from the book that the old woman wrote in the movie about time travel.

That's pretty funny.

emos and hipsters really used to like it back in the day. I guess today's soy boys would love it too.

It explains the plot, it doesn't make sense in the theatrical

Somehow this actually makes the film worse

It wasn't the director, it was the studio. The director's cut has several excerpts from Roberta Sparrow's book, explaining the nature of manipulated deads, living receiver, artifact and all that shit.
Theatrical cut is almost impossible to make sense because of that.

but I like everyone. does that mean Disney doesn't exist? I'm confused.

Watch the Donnie Darko director's cut for the answer to this question and more.

extremely comfy movie 8/10

>The director's cut has several excerpts from Roberta Sparrow's book, explaining the nature of manipulated deads, living receiver, artifact and all that shit.
And it's hamfisted as fuck. Somehow they managed to explain everything so detailed it actually makes less sense than
>insert your shitty theory here

Explains shit that wasnt even suggested in the original cut.

Original cut can be explained with timetraveling mechanics and alternate dimensions. The audience can figure how that shit works and make a cohesive idea of whats happening.

The DC talks about inter-dimensional clones, clones that want to be real and other mumbo jumbo shit that doesnt really belong in the movie. Funny thing, its not even explained in scenes, but in picture cards between the scenes. A completely unnecessary addition

I'm kind of baffled that this entire movie exists in the first place. Whose idea was this crazy shit?

No, actually the theatrical cut is pretty easy to interpret since its a small yet coherent alternate dimension story.

someday we will forsee obstacles > under the milky way i saw you

This, so much. I can't remember how many times I watched it when I was about 11-12

Oh you mean life is tumblr

is so "weird" that it makes it cool

Oh, I mean shut your mouth you fat pig.

I love it but it is not deep at all and idk why reddit likes it

>Why is this film so bad?

Because the script was a rushed, incoherent mess and the director literally didn't have any satisfying answers to the central mysteries of the film.

>Why is this film so overrated?

Pretentious pseuds interpreted the lack of answers as a deliberate artistic decision rather than obvious incompetence on the part of the director, and effectively projected their own deeper 'meanings' on to a film with all the depth and complexity of a Point Horror novel.

Oh, and they like the soundtrack too.

wrong

the film is his alternate reality should he choose to live and the ending is his acceptance that he must die