How is Beetle Bailey still running? What is its audience anymore?

How is Beetle Bailey still running? What is its audience anymore?

A combination of elderly people who hate any changes to the comics pages and Scandinavians.

Listen, I want you to know that I was gonna shit up this thread - but you're posting about an oft-neglected form of comics and dammit that means something.

I can only assume that the audience is the very old, with a small mix of maybe really stupid military types. Or maybe military types love it, I'm not one so I wouldn't know.

Honestly I don't know how any newspaper comics are running anymore. I read them when I was 10 but now I don't know anyone who even gets the newspaper.

Good luck with your thread user.

>67 years running

Jesus Christ

My mom and older brother are both in the military and I grew up around the army a lot. I never saw anyone give a shit about Beetle Bailey.

>and Scandinavians
Can confirm.

>67 years running

>newspaper comics
Free newspapers still have syndicated strips, such as "20 Minuti" in Switzerland - completely forgetable basic gags like Garfield (but worse).

It is? Nice.

It will end when the Korean war officially ends. Then Beetle can go home.

>Beetle Bailey
maybe it's more popular outside the US?
Just downloaded the latest 20 Minuti, a free
newspaper in Switzerland, and there's
a strip by Stefano Frassetto, whose little self blurb is that he dreams to meet the creator of BB. pic related is an example of his work, nothing special but together with submissions to other newspapers it's his full time job.

Me. I think it's fun.

>who reads this

I don't think it really works like that. I'm pretty sure that any paper that wants a comics section just buys running comics to fill the space, it's comic artist selling comics to newspapers, not comic artists selling comics to readers. And I'm pretty sure the only standard is being non-offensive and produce a comic daily.

I've never seen anyone ever laugh or chuckle at Beetle Bailey, I think it only survives because syndicated comics never get cancelled. At this point the comic isn't making money itself, it's whatever merchandise they're selling.
As long as those sales meet an extremely low baseline you'll see new Beetle Bailey strips until the day you die.

Agreeing with these.

>He dropped out university to help with the Korean War
>Korean war lasted 3 years
>It's been nearly 70 years and he's still in the army
>Even M*A*S*H* only managed to stretch the Korean War for 11 years

You guys think Beetle Bailey killed someone

He hasn't left the fort in 40 years.

me, i am it's audience.
Mort Walker (and jerry dumas) is go to toiletry read, that is not even an insult, that man has gotten me through the hardest of bowl movements.

and Dik Brown's Haggard the read and chortle heartily in a hammock on a summers days read, i don't think his son Chris is a good and repeats a lot of material from his father, but he is not terrible.

you have never seen anyone laugh and chucke in your entire life.

>What is its audience anymore?

Service men.

>TFW Beetle Bailey debuted as a college student strip before turning into an army service parody.

One of the weirder evolutions of a comic strip has taken.

HAHAHAHA

Åh Knasen, nobody knows how to deliver a joke quite like you do.

what is it called in USA, the National Guard?

Yes.

Eh, it was one of the most reliable for not terribleness In the newspaper

>Mort Walker (and jerry dumas) is go to toiletry read, that is not even an insult, that man has gotten me through the hardest of bowl movements.
topkek

whew at least it's not a boat

Yeah didn't the war start and he got drafted for the next 55 odd years?

The fuck? I honestly thought this was a Swedish comic. I've never seen it outside Sweden. The more you know, I guess.

You can say that about a lot of strips.

The answer probably being a mix of "merchandising" and "tradition".

Why is Beetle Baily so popular in Sweden? Does the translation make them part of the Swedish army?

Or is this like DICE always making games about American soldiers instead of Swedish ones?

Not sure what's the deal with comics and Sweden, but comics like Beetle Baily, Agent X-9 and especially the Phantom was so popular in Sweden. The Phantom in particular was so huge here which makes me a bit surprised I never see anyone talk about it, because it's a really good comic and he was basically the first "superhero" character.
Also we nearly had no capecomics at all here, they was quite obscure here.

Funny thing about Beetle Baily is that nearly half the strips in the comics was just old ones from other comics, so if you've read some of the you've basically read them all.

>How is Beetle Bailey still running?
Simple: Miss Buxley!

Yeah this is weirding me out, it feels so quintessentially 50's - early 60's American I can't imagine it being that popular in Scandinavia without seriously liberal translations.

>Or maybe military types love it, I'm not one so I wouldn't know.

Military types read Terminal Lance.

Finland has compulsory military service for all males. Sweden used to have it too, but they've changed their system a couple of times during the last decade. Norway and Denmark have some sort of draft system as well. When the the army affects nearly all men, military humor probably has a wider reach. Also, the guys in Beetle Bailey strip just goof around like people in Scandinavian armies, instead of actually going to war.

The characters have localised names in the Scandinavian translations, and the idea is that they live in Sweden/Norway/Finland/etc.

actually, no.
i don't know about really early strips, but the stuff from late 80's-90's it was always implied to be american soldiers, otherwise you are correct

there was a page where satirists would post small cartoon pictures about the compulsory military, and there is a rival comic to beetle bailey called 91:an Karlsson which was actually set in Sweden, though.

I think Blondie is almost 90

Andy Capp is still running. New strip every day. Granted, it's a lot different than what it used to be. Andy and his wife no longer get in physical fights, Andy doesn't smoke anymore, and neither Andy nor his wife seem to spend as much time running from bill collectors as they once did. But it still runs.

Hell, you can go to gocomics and find a bunch of newspaper comics that have been running for ages and go for an archive binge.

Wow, I had no idea Beetle Bailey has been around since the Korean War, I would have figured he was a staple of Vietnam.

Anyway, as a regular Joe, I liked Beetle because he was laidback and lazy, which made his antics funny. Though I'm sure if he existed IRL, he'd have been court martialed decades ago.

>67 years running

Is the original artist still doing it?!?

>Wow, I had no idea Beetle Bailey has been around since the Korean War, I would have figured he was a staple of Vietnam.
Similar situation to MASH where it was about the Korean War, but easily applicable to the Vietnam War too. Difference being that MASH's similarities were intentional from the start while Beetle Bailey sort of accidentally stumbled into it.

>242
senile baby boomers

Oh come on, it's a slacker comic.