Genndy on how to make a great villain

creators.vice.com/en_us/article/genndy-tartakovsky-samurai-jack-great-villain

Thanks. I'll read up so I can be sure to ignore everything he says.

Are you seriously arguing Aku is not a great villain?

Mako made Aku

Aku was like a caricature of a villain.

Genndy can't make a great anything, what a hack. I wish cartoon Network didn't really so much on him back in the day and someone else got to set trends
He truly was a net negative looking back no matter how much I enjoyed some of his work and derivative work it's clearly all medicre and would have been better handled by people with real talent and vision
We shit on anime a lot and honestly I would be the first one but no cartoon has ever impactes dkd as much as evangelion has for example, not a single one got close

>Blah blah blah rip off flash gordon

Man you sound fucking buttblasted.

You know looking back I really enjoyed samurai Jack but at the time I thought all those scenes of Jack walking aimlessly with seemingly no direction where actually taking him somewhere, that the travesy he was taking was one of growth and understanding instead of actually going to a physical place
That's why I didn't care if one episode was summer and the other was covered in snow. I didn't care if we saw Jack cross the ocean and get to some woods and cross the ocean again and we never had the slightless clue what he was chasing
Turns out I was wrong, there was no carrot at the end of the stick. All Jack did was burn time and meet people

does he have any tips on writing an ending that's in any way satisfying?

>people are still assblasted about the ending

Everyone knows, the ending wasn't what you expected, deal with it and move on.

>Everyone knows, the ending wasn't what you expected
Yeah it was shit

Yep. Something about the hero accomplishing what he set out to do, but having something slip through his fingers, leaving him in a calm state of mixed hope and regret. It's more satisfying than "happily ever after," because adults know that life isn't all roses.

Like im going to take advice from a hack with the writing skills of 14 year old.

>still trying to defend this
it was the most rushed ending i've ever seen
it felt like I was watching a "previously on"
the idea was sound
the execution was horrid

bahaahahaha

Why is everyone acting as if Genndy wasn't involved with the original series at all?

This. The ending has made the entire show seem very shallow and pointless. In the original series, it seemed as though you were seeing Jack develop and grow along his journey. It was as if it was building up to something meaningful.

The new series started out OK. A broken Jack, who's lost his way. I can deal with that. Its a great idea, but his redemption was just so poorly done. Add to that the whole forced love story, and the ending where Jack doesn't even give a second thought to all his friends in the future. It's like it goes against the morals of the Jack from the original, and all his development seems lost.

Looking back now, I really think Genndy missed making this something special. It should have ended with Jack realizing that the past is the past, and had him embrace the future, and all the people he'd helped save. It would have given the series meaning.

>scaramouche was based from the main villain from gatchaman
Wut

We've reached the stage where ironic, unironic and meta-ironic shitposting all mix together to finally manage when people sought to do when the season started - make it impossible to discuss any aspect of samurai jack whatsoever in any context any more.
It'll be the dark souls of Sup Forums

>five seasons about a man trying to go back in time to stop the future from happening
>goes back in time and stops the future from happening
>wtf why did he go back in time to stop the future from happening

Someone send him a guide on how to make a decent ending.

what's the point? if anything it'll be his guide

Throughout the run, the show had subtle hints that Jack will give up trying to return to the past and instead focus on defeating Aku in the future and help rebuild, and the Guardian's vision seemed to add credence to this, as it shows an aged Jack as a king standing on top of a black mass, presumably defeated Aku.

It would present a much wiser approach to the story; let go of the past, but do not forget those who suffered and died. Move on, and help make a better future for those who are alive.

>After the book shuts on Samurai Jack tonight, Tartakovsky says he has no interest in reviving his other popular franchises. Instead, he's looking forward to exploring the unfamiliar characters and worlds languishing in his sketchbook.

Symbionic Titan BTFO

No shit, it was always a show about a wandering samurai, you might notice that Jack never tries to find and fight Aku, he's only looking for portals and fighting Aku when he shows up. When Genndy said he based the show about his dreams of being a wandering samurai, he meant it. The show is about a wandering samurai.

Source or I call bullshit!

>Jack doesn't even give a second thought to all his friends in the future

They all died impaled by Aku with exception of the scotsman's daughters

Wait, I'm an idiot, just read the article. Aww, phooey.

Then again it did feel like he finished Samurai Jack less because he wanted to, and more like he did it because of fandom pressure.

Last few episodes especially seem rushed, as if he was just trying to get it over with as soon as possible.

These weren't subtle hints but asspuls that served to maintain the status quo and uninentionally demonstrate Jack's primitive morality system at the time.

Yeah but the time portal showed that he'd try to go back to the past.

>primitive morality system

What the fuck are you on about?

>Demongo, a crowd favorite from Season 4
Is it so fucking hard to look the shit up for a journalist? He's from S2.

Not even trying to approach the concept of a possible greater good. This is shown best in the monks episode where he can go back to the past and fix EVERYTHING or can go help monks fight that stone army and fix one minor thing. The latter is a simpler solution, as it definitely raises less moral questions than the first one, posing the hero as 100% heroic without any questionnable ethics. Of course they didn't have much space to explore on this topic in the first place. As I've said earlier, status quo needed to be maintained.

>Genndy sites Spectreman as an inspiration

The ending was lame, but that makes me want to make love to Genndy.

This is Vice we're talking about, they gave up on journalism long ago.