Hey Sup Forums im an actor looking at this job where I play the joker...

hey Sup Forums im an actor looking at this job where I play the joker. Im not too familiar with the comics but Id like to learn more about the character where should I start? Ive only seen the films and hes one of my favorite characters.

THeres a lot of batman out there

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=G7AjGmmCbFc
youtu.be/sPpWzS3nCwM
comraderecs.tumblr.com/search/joker
readcomiconline.to/Comic/Batman-Arkham-Asylum-25th-Anniversary-Edition/TPB?id=91914
youtube.com/watch?v=2BaEMf5gO4M
youtube.com/watch?v=5C-Qmzuib5g
youtube.com/watch?v=xtL6HZ81ymE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

please respond

You'd have to tell us something about this part of yours, what kind of Joker or tone is it?
You could end up with suggestions that aren't really relevant to how your version is.

ive been given almost no information on it, they said to just start somewhere and develop my own character. dc has to approve it in the end

Well you can get started by brushing up on your joke making and laughing, evily usually. Everything else is simply your take on being batman's greatest villain and getting him to admit you're his #1 villain

Just imagine everything you consider good about batman and what he stands for and how you would completely ruin that.

Also you could just watch this m.youtube.com/watch?v=G7AjGmmCbFc

Pls watch this in order to get an idea of what the character really is.

youtu.be/sPpWzS3nCwM

>ive been given almost no information on it, they said to just start somewhere and develop my own character.
That's super not great man.
Have fun digging for something that works for you
comraderecs.tumblr.com/search/joker

Also I guess just watch any DCAU and DC animated movies stuff you can for a voiced pace and pattern to the dialogue.

Watch nothing but A Clockwork Orange and Tim Burton Batman for a few weeks.

Get outa here Sup Forums

DCAU Joker is considered definitive, comics Joker is trash and has been for a long time, if you're dead set on reading a Joker comic go with Emperor Joker or Rock of Ages.

Killing Joke is not a good representation of the character and was never intended to be.

The only thing you really have to remember about Joker is that everything he does has a punchline, doesn't ma

If you want comics, go for The Man Who Laughs by Ed Brubaker.

Seeing as theres only one "type" of joker that hasnt been done yet, go for it (pic related)

Be disgusting, scary, uncomfortable. Less lolsorandom/ psycho and genuinely unnerving because of the fact that you do indeed keep making jokes instead of acting out on whatever threat looms over the imagined opposition here. Read "Arkham Asylum: A serious house on serious earth"

readcomiconline.to/Comic/Batman-Arkham-Asylum-25th-Anniversary-Edition/TPB?id=91914

Also if you arent interested in reading tons of material, watch the killing joke movie (honestly the same thing as reading the comic+ some extra content as far as learning the character goes) and possibly just start youtubing snippets of the joker from different series for some ideas on how the different versions act

>watch the Killing Joke movie
That seems like pretty terrible advice.
Most of the lines are said the wrong way

Part of those french DCshorts?

This guy is right about Arkham Asylum, you should check it out, Joker is incredibly creepy in there.
The Killing Joke movie, however, is not the same thing as the book. I would suggest rather watching this motion comic adaptation (it's shorter so it will save you time, too) youtube.com/watch?v=2BaEMf5gO4M
Because see pic related? I think you'd guess it's supposed to be over-the-top uncontrollable laughter, but in the KJ movie, Hammil is doing some sort of very tame and silent cackle which doesn't go with the scene at all. The motion adaptation voice actor guy, however, nailed it IMO.

Dont watch Ledger.

Don't read Serious House.

The faggots above who told you to do so are casual as fuck. They don't know a fucking thing about the joker.

Nicholson came closest to being like the him but his paint was terrible and he was entirely too fat for the role.

You should be in a suit, you should look clean, you should tell jokes. One liners that are terrible. Google stand-up crash and burns and take the worst jokes you can.

DO NOT BE THE GRIMDARK FAGGOT FROM SERIOUS HOUSE OR TDK!!

>DO NOT BE THE GRIMDARK FAGGOT FROM SERIOUS HOUSE

how fucking retarded are you? as if the rest of the post didnt already expose you as one, but the only "grimdark" thing about the joker in AA is literally his looks. He does nothing in the whole novel except tell jokes, even faking out the phonecall part

>Grimdark
Ledger was constantly cracking jokes in TDK, what are you talking about?
He shows up to the mobster meeting mocking their somber atmosphere and when Batman starts getting menacing and violent he just starts laughing.

Telling someone to emulate Joker and Serious House is about as casual as it gets faggots. Stay mad.

The Joker, like many DC characters has a wide variety of interpretations. If I were you I'd prepare a few different tones, from menacing like Heath Ledger, all the way to having too much fun with everything you do like Brave and the Bold Joker. If you must read some Joker or want to get a feeling for some of the characters in Batman's mythos in General, I recommend No Man's Land. It's a bit longer than most other suggestions but you get a bit more feel for Gotham itself.

There seems to be non-homosexual homosexual tension between batman and Joker. And he's a very shitty boyfriend to Harleen

I never said anything about casuals you twit, I contested your baseless claim that LedgerJoker was grimdark. You've got nothing for a rebuttal.

Personally, I feel like Leto's Joker could have been saved if most of what we saw in the Movie was from Harley's perspective. He comes down in the chopper and there's a scene with fuzzed pink edges and hearts and he's all, "Come to me, my love."
And then you see what's really happening with him screaming, "Bitch! Get in the car!"
Mabye have deadshot and Croc share a look when Harley says something like, "Gee, isn't he romantic?"

DURR LE CASUAL

are you actually proud about being retarded? your "hardcore" joker is the one in all of the cartoons, aka what literally everyone is familiar with, aka why portrayals like ledger were interesting to the audience

Joker is subject to A LOT of interpretations. There really isn't a definitive Joker out there. I'd say just look up his greatest scenes and hits on Youtube and study that if you really want a feel for him.

Something like this is your best bet OP.

youtube.com/watch?v=5C-Qmzuib5g

Also the Batman Arkham games do a good job of portraying the Joker too so I suggest watch clips of his scenes in those games.

He treats Harley like shit because he's a psychopath. He doesn't show her positive affection unless he wants to use her for something, and will quickly turn on you once you've outlived your usefulness or no longer amuse him. But he literally treats everyone like that. It's why even other villians are hesitant to team up with him.

>There seems to be non-homosexual homosexual tension between batman and Joker.

Yes and it's a pretty fun part of their relationship. YouTube the Joker scenes from Batman: Arkham Knight to get a good look at how it's fine between him.

Don't try to imitate Mark Hamill or Heath Ledger or Jack Nicholson or whatever. Joker is a character that thrives on unpredictability and reinventing himself, which is why the worst Joker performances are usually the ones who try as hard as possible to imitate previous ones, and why the best are usually the ones that revigorate the character. There are tons of different reinterpretations of the character and, if you actually are a serious actor who wants a chance to play the character, I think you should try and make something depending on what take on the character you personally prefer, because as you can tell from looking at this thread, everyone has their own conception of what Joker should be like. Essentially, build the character as your own. Here's some tips

-Try and read up on more than just the comics. There's tons of essays that have been written about him and his multiple incarnations across the Bat mythos. It helps you to get a solid grip on what take on the Joker you want to do.
-Try and see if you can read more about what kind of setting is your role going to take place in. Joker is defined by his relationship with Batman. So you need to understand what kind of Batman will you be going up against.
-The Joker sometimes takes the role of the "holy fool", the character who actively tries as hard as possible to undermine the story and the struggles within it. Incongruity is often at the heart of what usually makes the best Joker performances.
-Try and study where exactly the character comes from and what influences writers take when writing him. In fact, I'd argue this will help you more than reading up comics because then you will be better at coming up with your own voice for the character. A good start would be to watch The Man Who Laughs
-While this may seem ironic, try not to think too much of it. Joker is more of an embodiment of evil, a voice for the text to criticize itself, than he is an actual character. Try to remember this.

(cont)

*how it's done between them

Damn autocorrect

-Try and look into how the people that played The Joker in the past found their voice for the character. Mark Hamill spend plenty of time practicing the laugh as if it was a musical instrument. Heath Ledger started playing him as a mix of Sid Vicious and Alex DeLarge with Tom Waits's voice until he developed something new entirely. Nicholson let himself have as much fun as possible. And so on
-Remember the things that make The Joker scary like his seemingly irrationality, absurdism, the fear of clowns and their artificiality, the way he often embodies the irrational id, how he's constantly able to attack Batman's weakest spots.
-Please, for the love of god, don't try to act "scary". Joker is most effective when he's trying to be funny, and not being a generic movie psychopath. Remember, there needs to be comedy. Think of yourself as a showman, a magician, hell, break the 4th wall if they let you do it. But stick to the comedic aspects and let the scary aspects come naturally.

Oh, and personally, if I were to play The Joker, I'd try and take some additional inspiration from David Bowie's multiple stage personas, but that's just me.
Remember, you have to make this role your own. Don't recreate Hamill's Joker, or Ledger's Joker.
Create YOUR Joker.

Serious House isn't grimdark. He's a manifestation of Batman's mental and sexual insecurities.

>acting job
>no audition
Sure buddy. You just happen to be a famous actor who has never heard of the Joker and doesnt have assistants who can research the role for you but you visit Sup Forums and expect this place to give you a one shot answer for your question even though you have only replied to this thread once to say

I'd study a lot of Mark Hamill's DC roles, namely Joker and Trickster.

Hell, study some Cock-Knocker, too!
youtube.com/watch?v=xtL6HZ81ymE

Don't be an ignorant dick. Nowhere does OP say he's "a famous actor". Marvel and DC pay people to play their characters for shit other than movies, y'know. I know a guy who made a living playing Spidey at various licensed appearances.

You do realize making costumed appearances at places like Six Flags has to be lisenced and cleared by WB/DC, right?

This

This ad infinitum!

He is a guy called Jack, might be or not Jack Torrance, killed Bruce Wayne parents and then is killed by Batman

joker should always mirror the batman
dark and serious batman? dark and serious joker
campy batman? campy joker
the important thing always though is you have to be funny

why is the joker almost never actually funny?

>Joker is defined by his relationship with Batman
Hi Scott