Wow! I had no idea they were this profitable. Two things to remember...

Wow! I had no idea they were this profitable. Two things to remember. This doesn’t include merchandise sales from 2014 onward, which are another several billions, and this doesn’t include other sources of Star Wars related revenue.

And to think, The Last Jedi still has three weeks left in theaters. It opens today in China

It still bombed.

That doesn't mean net profit (especially considering the massive marketing campaigns) and the toy sales are absolute shit. Disney is tanking that investment hard, if they haven't make the money back on Darth Vader and OT merch, they haven't make it back at all

How about we account the cost for making and promoting these movies, as well?

Why do you shill for them?

That desperation.

Sauce?

And now add the production and marketing budgets for 3 AAA blockbuster flicks.

>If I spend more money than we make we are making profit
We have reached a new horizon of delusional bullshit

Theaters get 60% and marketing/production for these films cost around 1.2 billion

Do the math, they've barely made shit EXCEPT FOR merchandise when you account for the 4 billion price tag of the franchise

Forgot to add the theater take, in addition to production and marketing. Disney is still in the hole on this, big time. I'm too lazy to do the math though.

>what are costs

Figure that's thrown around is gross profit. Net profit is nowhere near this number. All these bloggers needs economics education.

>Ashley Rodriguez
This stupid taco doesn't know the difference between revenue and profit.

>What is Return On Investment?
>No fucking idea, I'm just looking at the box office numbers.
>#theforceisfemale!

the absolute state of journalism in this age

Except the title is a lie, which the article then admits, first off the money it makes at the box office is split between the studio and the theatres (studio take ~55-60%), secondly the movies actually COST A LOT OF MONEY to produce and promote.

So while the movies have indeed earned more than the price of Lucasfilm, Disney has not earned more than that.

Not in net profits.

It says it three movies earnings are more than money spent on buying SW. It does not say anything about profit margin being bigger.

>All these bloggers needs economics education.

It's a puff piece, it's supposed to paint Disney as doing fantastically well

>It opens today in China
Which means we can sit back and watch the shitshow unfold as hundreds of millions of chinese people will reel in horror and abandon the movie once word gets out of the kiss scene.

Well no fucking shit, that why Disney bought them.

Now take that number, multiply by .4 and subtract the production and advertising budgets. They are in the fucking pit.

oh I fucking bet they sold lots of merchandise. I mean which all the girls are crazy for it and the boys can't wait to get their hands on the fat chink and ugly nigger figures

Watch Star Wars "Memorabilia Collector" manchild videos. Shit's just sitting on the shelves.

Enjoy your Feminism Wars, faggots!

Do they take into account the cost of making the movies when they wrote this article?

>1.1b without china, just starting in china now
>i-it failed g-guys. d-disney btfo

You newfags don't understand the 0.001%
They continue to funnel movie through shells ... Gross as high as possible. Zero profit means they kept all the earnings instead of spreading the wealth.
Trickle down economics.. Enjoy your rat burger john spartan

Well the shall price should have been about 10 years worth of profit.

So it should make 400,000 million a year for disney.

I think its done better than that by a significant margin.

So what are we expecting TLJ to end at? 1.4? 1.5? I feel like anything below 1.4 would be disappointing.

>revenue=profit
Do liberals just not care how money works anymore?

You have no clue what you're talking about.

When you read someone say $10 spent on a ticket = $10 profit, that's a disnuck.

But earned is not the same as Disney revenue, nor is revenue equal to profits.

Disney spent ~4 billion dollars to buy Star Wars.

TFA was a huge hit, they made 500-600 million dollar of profit just in the movie-plexes
R1 was a nice hit, they made about 250 million in the movie plexes.
TLJ has been disappointing, not only is it only going to make about 200 million in the movie plexes, toy sales are down 50% and it has no legs.

You think China will drop another billion on a movie where Vietnamese Shrek kisses a Howler Monkey?

The problem is you REALLY need to to great in China for it to really matter, since China only allow foreign film companies 25% of the box office gross, compare this to the US domestic box office where Disney gets ~60%.

yes but has disney earned 4B?

Plus the Merch is selling like crap

>not in net profits

Theres a lot more money to be earned than just box office. Disney is still probably making bank with toys/merchandise/royalties etc. Pretty sure they must not care about the movies doing extremely well as long as it serves as a vessel to sell more stuff in the future and this is why they wont stop making them even if they only break even on box office.

If people werent retarded they'd be looking at disney stock prices as a whole and they sure dont look bothered.

Anything below 1.8 is disappointing for Disney and no way will that happen.

It's like you don't understand the difference between sales and profit.

Then again you probably don't.

Care? They've never even understood it.

Too expensive
Fucking jewing the shit out of ppl
Lego star destroyer $100+

Imagine what the DVD sales are going to look like on this pile of shit.

okay, some quick math.
Assuming .6 domestic, .3 for overseas, and 125 million for TV/streaming/disc sales.

TFA - 900 million in revenue, +125 million in TV
1125 million Revenue
-450 million cost

Profit 675 million

R1
571 +125 million in revenue
696 million in revenue, - 350 million in cost

346 million profit

TLJ
579 + 125 TV
704 - 450 million cost
254 million profit. (most likely will hit 300-325 profit.

Total profit - 1275 million (1.275 billion)
Plus licencing (lets say 400 million, recall sales do not equal licencing)

1.6 billion profit on a cost of 5.246 billion investment, or a 30% return.

That a nice return. But still need to make 3 billion more to make up the cost of acquisition.

Lego prices are getting insane. I'm sure most of it is the fuckign liscensing fee but shittttt

Disney main profit driver is ESPN, not movies.

t. Disney stockholder 1998-2016

SJW and leftists online are so concerned and pleased that 100 billion dollar corporation is making so much profit despite screwing over small theater owner.

Advertising and promotion is usually on par with the total production budget. Add that in, my dude. Also does box office take include or exclude sales tax?

small business owners were probably Trump voters

Disney cares about diversity and representation so they're better

Those costs are with the promotion budget. 250 million for the TFA/TLJ, and 150 for Rogue one.

and excludes sales tax.

>earned
If you're not retarded, you can tell this meant grossed, not profited.

>videogame and general licensing
>toys
>general merch

Yeah nah, I'm pretty sure they're a lot closer to convering costs than you think.
Remember they now own the OT as well and anything that sells regarding that is also theirs and so on.

>profit
And then theaters take 40-70%, depending on the country.

No one is buying that garbage.

>HUR DUR I DONT KNOW ACCOUNTING PRINCIPLES

fucking retards man

You can do this for literally any movie if you start breaking it down like this. It makes it seem like hollywood jews barely make any money but somehow they all have billions. Really makes you think.

Because they toss their money around to one another this creating a self sustained economy.

A bald assertion isn't an argument. I've already refuted your representation based arguments. Give me something else.

That is after the theater cut. I stated I gave Disney .6 of domestic, and .3 overseas.

Issue is that licence fees are not remotely the same as what the final product sells.

For example, Hasbro (who is by far the largest toy maker) pays about 110-125 million a year in royalties for Disney, and that includes Marvel and other Disney products.

The trick is, movie's cost is grossly inflated.

That is after the break down.

>okay, some quick math. Assuming .6 domestic, .3 for overseas, and 125 million for TV/streaming/disc sales

Jesus, people don't read anymore.

Disney bought lucasfilm for 4 billion in 2012

You don't just have to make your money back for something to be a good decision. To be unscathed you have to outperform inflation. To beat the opportunity cost of not investing in something else, you have to outperform the market average, which is like 7% growth a year.

4 billion at 7% compounding interest for 5 years is $5,610,206,922.80

This is the figure disney has to beat to compete with you and me dumping 4 billion in index funds and doing zero work. And next year that figure will be bigger compounded again at 7%.

In what world?

>Highest grossing movie of 2017
>Was only in theaters for 2 weeks of 2017
>user believes what he wants to because fuck facts

They're building for the long term. They want Star Wars to be a 50-year franchise. It will make its initial investment 50x over in that time.

They'll be making these movies 'til the end of time.

But the mouse doesn't just have 5 years to make a big return. And you can't just dump 4 billion into index funds.

that's not net profit, it doesn't account for expenses

SALT

actually where they make their money is in the TV/Disc/streaming sales.

For example, lets say you make a film for 80 million, you spend 50 million in promotion, and it sells 90 million in tickets domestic, and another 60 million overseas.

Looks like you have a loss, as the sales are only 64 million to you.

However over the next 5 years you can sell that same movie to TV stations, Disc, netflix/amazon and so on for another 80-90 million dollars. Which puts you in the black.

Then in your older movies you package for group sales, and say you movie that bombed is the one getting paid, so you don't have to pay taxes on it.

The other major thing is that movies can be a wonderful tax break.

have 100 million dollar tax bill.

put those 100 million to a movie, claim you lost 20 million, and now you "pay" 20 million in losses instead of 35 million in taxes, so you are 15 million ahead.

how can salt be so based.

He already deducted that.

Error in TFA: 900+125=1025 Revenue
While they certainly make a fair amoutn via other channels, they cannot be happy with TLJ and the trend. If the next SW movies don't improve, then this will turn out to be a very disappointing investment.

>And you can't just dump 4 billion into index funds.
Actually you can, but investors will not be impressed since they can do the same thing.

You think new toys are gonna sell if the movies stink?

>rror in TFA: 900+125=1025 Revenue
>While they certainly make a fair amoutn via other channels, they cannot be happy with TLJ and the trend. If the next SW movies don't improve, then this will turn out to be a very disappointing investment.
Not sure what error you are syaing about TFA, as it was a insanely profitable movie.

But yes, TLJ is under performing horridly.

>Highest grossing movie of 2017
>Highest dropping movie of all times

Leave that to me

Toy sales are down 50%.

Part is due to Toys R us is dead.

Why are we setting the goal post so close? It's fucking star wars, they were able to make record profits for the first movie on brand name alone. It's almost impossible for them not to make a profit.

This is what matters. They virtually killed off the biggest pop culture icon in just 2 years.

Not if they ruin the franchise.

This is probably accurate. Only large corporations have HR departments and diversity initiatives

I think the people buying the toys will watch the movies just because the mouse tells them to since good marketing, and they will want the advertised toys because they look cool.

Manchildren on Sup Forums arent they biggest toy market surprisingly, but impressionable kids.

Not sure however how toys will do from here on since all kids are now all about digital, but the mouse will find the way to sell to kids in that market too.

I am saying that there is an addition error in the calculation for TFA.

They have like a billion other franchises to sell toys from though. I guarantee they're making ten times more from Fronzen merch alone than Star Wars

Yeah but now doesn't Disney lose money when the merchandise doesn't sell, excluding Hasbro of course who already had a permanent toy deal?

Because women don't understand business. You don't just need profits, you need better than average profits to draw investors.

_900
+125
--------

or are you saying its not 900 and 125?

It also doesn't include production and marketing budgets you fucking retard and the same merchandise is still on the shelf two years later, no one wants action figures of boot-lipped niggers and pie-faced chinks. This current shitshow hasn't broken even and it's doing next to no business in China, the jew will be unlikely to ever make any significant profit on his purchase. Fuck you and fuck your thread, sage.

what do you call that dissapointed trumpet sound? or is it a trombone?

Good job triggering the shills. Notice how they came back two days after New Years Day. Those lucky shills had two whole days of break!

To me, Disney buying star wars wasnt about the profit they could make with it only, and they definitely can profit, but it was like a slingshot into Disney generating presence and creating further buzz for themselves. Before they bought Star Wars they were seeming a lot more passive but after that you kind of started to hear about them everywhere and their stock price skyrocketed ever since.

It was a great purchase no matter how you see it desu.

only in future sales.

If I payed the mouse 2 million to make 2 million toys, and only sell 1 million, I eat the cost, not disney. Just that I will not buy the rights for 2 million toys in the next run.

4 Billion for Star Wars was an absolute bargain no question the problem is what they've been doing with it.
Star Wars could have been a solid long term cash cow but they thought they could do to it what they did to Marvel and sucked the entire soul out of it as an entire franchise.

You people are pathetic.

I honestly hope you're getting paid for this. The alternative is horrifying.

Disney main money source is ESPN.

Since ESPN has issues, they are trying to diversify out of ESPN. Thus the purchase of Lucas and proposed purchase of Fox.

The other thing to recall is "Star Wars" includes stuff like ILM.

Why haven't they done a total reboot of Star Wars with Chinese actors but attractive this time? Jackie Chan could be Obi-Wan.

I mean, they bought it in 2012, its only been 5 years and a few months. it can still be a long term cashcow, we'll just have to see what happens in the next few years.