Yoda and Sheev using lightsabers

One one hand:
>Yoda and Sheev are implied in the original trilogy to be so strong in the Force that they have no need for lightsabers - Sheev even makes fun of them during the throne room fight in ROTJ
>Yoda doesn't give Luke a single lesson regarding lightsaber combat and he's visibly disappointed when Luke chooses to bring his lightsaber with him to the dark side cave
>I might be wrong, but didn't George Lucas himself say in an 80's interview that Yoda would probably get rekt by Vader in a one-on-one fight if he had to rely on a lightsaber

On the other hand:
>Yoda's been a Jedi Master for 800 years, surely it makes sense that he'd pick up lightsaber combat with that much time on his hands
>Sheev using a lightsaber could be interpreted as him basically trolling the Jedi and showing them that he can beat them at their own game

So what's your opinion?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/q0r4jNhG9Z4?t=141
theguardian.com/science/2018/jan/01/scientists-a-step-closer-to-mimicking-way-human-body-creates-sperm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

stfu nerd, let's talk about the future, let's talk about FEMALES!

>>Sheev using a lightsaber could be interpreted as him basically trolling the Jedi and showing them that he can beat them at their own game

literally this
>1v1 me faggots
>t. sheev

Sheev got also spanked by Dindu and was only saved by Anakin.

Or it's just the rule of cool, fighting with plasma swords that make sweet sound effects.

I'm of the minority but I liked the fight between palpy and yoda. I'd like to think they'd use everything in their arsenal trying to beat each other. Two people as powerful as them would know how easy it is to make mistakes doing the small things like lightsaber combat.

by the time force comes out they're literally throwing the fucking building at eachother.

George wasn't creative enough to envision what a force battle would look like, so he went with yet another drawn out lightsaber duel.

HE wanted to be saved

>Annie, the ape, the jedi, they have..., They have gone rogue™, Annie, am dying please... help me....

Fucking Lucas man

I thought it was cool.

You should be able to suspend disbelief if you're watching a show about fucking space wizards. I actually really liked the Yoda combat scenes.

Minorty? People didnt like that fight?

>Yoda and Sheev are implied in the original trilogy to be so strong in the Force that they have no need for lightsabers
Can you please stop slurping rlm semen for a second

he was only pretending

He could have owned mace easily, but he needed Anikan to commit to serving him so he let himself be knocked down

What would the audience see in a force battle? It's all based on their mental focus going head to head.

that makes it allthe better

You're not wrong, Lucas said Yoda was "a sort of guru, not a warrior" and couldn't take Vader in a fight. Makes sense because otherwise why hide? Kasdan didn't get it though.

>touching tips
Fucking Faggots

>this

The Sheevster is my husbando-

>falling for the master ruseman's ruse

Sheev literally using the instruments of government to try to destroy the jedi is a great scene, as is the shot of them rising into the Senate chamber. Scene is worth it just for that

/thread

>Yoda and Sheev are implied in the original trilogy to be so strong in the Force that they have no need for lightsabers
>implied
I don't think you know what that word means.

You mean those things that will be phased out once we get artificial wombs? No thanks.

because they both used sabers instead of just going straight to a force fight/wizard fight

>One one hand:
Cringe.

Sheev was a weird guy

>HE wanted to be saved
This is wishful thinknig.
Anakin wasn't even in the fucking room when Sheev already laid on the ground with a purple didlo to his throat, and don't try to play it off as if he was betting Windu wouldn't shank his ass, when he whipped out force lightning and Anakin didn't interfere.
That's not a guy who wants be immortal operates.

This. Sheev is basically so high on the dark side he could kill a room full of disciplined Jedi masters with a butter knife. Lightsabers are a literal joke to him.

Yogurt's the same way. I think it'd be cool that if instead of using his own custom one he just grabbed a green one from the youngling training chest and uses that to slaughter Sith and Clone troopers alike.

For you

>I might be wrong, but didn't George Lucas himself say in an 80's interview that Yoda would probably get rekt by Vader in a one-on-one fight if he had to rely on a lightsaber

I think this is just implied by the plot. If yoda could beat vader and the emperor he would just do it. Reasons for not doing so include being old and fragile as fuck. If he waits to train luke, he can add a jedi to the roster instead of banking on himself.

If I'm paraphrasing george right he described yoda as a guru, someone who could teach but not do. I don't think that's right considering he lifted an x-wing.

Not that user but what is wrong with that statement

I only recognize the original showings of episodes 4, 5, & 6. Everything else after that and the changes to the originals is all horseshit.

>Sheev is basically so high on the dark side he could kill a room full of disciplined Jedi masters with a butter knife. Lightsabers are a literal joke to him.
>gets thrown down elevator shaft by a guy with motorics worse than C3PO

Yoda could probably have held on the defensive for a while with the Force, but he also explicitly says to Luke "A Jedi uses the Force only to defend, never attack."

Both times Yoda only used his lightsaber as a last resort though. And it looked like Palpatine only took his out because he didn't have a choice, hence why he went back to using just the force when he had the advantage.

Why to Yoda and Obiwan split up for the fights? Why don't they go after Sheev togethrr and then both go after Anakin together?

my actual opinion: who cares. forget about star wars and concern yourselves with more important things in life, like the price of beans.

Sup Forums opinion: there was never any implication about yoda being too strong in the force for a lightsaber. the issue is never brought up. however, both obi wan and the emperor state that lightsabers are specifically jedi weapons, so it makes sense that yoda may have had one at some point. in fact, since yoda is the one who trained obi wan, he was clearly the one who trained obi wan in lightsaber combat. the only people who use lightsabers in the trilogy are jedi or ex-jedi: obi wan, luke, and vader. yoda may have had one at some point, but in the state luke found him (900 years old) he was probably not able to use one effectively. however, wisdom grows with age so his knowledge of the force was probably never higher (although his proficiency with it is most likely diminished slightly from his prime).
it's also possible that there was a slight distinction between jedi knights, like obi wan, vader, and luke, who were the protectors of peace in the galaxy and used a special ceremonial sword as a symbol and as a weapon, and jedi masters like yoda, who were also lightsaber proficient but studied the force and educated other jedis. compare cops to the law professors that train them; every cop carries a gun, but law profs are usually lawyers who may have/use a gun but focus more on the law, its application, its study, and education.

all in all, it really doesn't matter. if you don't like the prequels, don't watch them. if you think they ruined star wars, stop watching them and stop caring about them. if all you like is the OT, push the rest out of your mind and leave it at that. who cares, man. it's ruined, it can't be fixed. just move on. the less you care about such trivialities, the more your life will improve. i promise you. i guarantee it.

>like the price of beans
I hate beans. Except in chili.

How would that not be defending the galaxy at that point

They were training luke for confrontation. How is waiting for someone to blow your swamp planet up morality.

not an argument

Palpy doesn't need a lightsaber any more. They're just weapons, especially to Sith. Maybe to Jedi they're symbols, but definitely not to him.

>succeed in literally everything you do with little to no effort
>kill your master, one of the wisest Sith in history who could even avert death
>absolutely fucking crush the thousand generation history of the jedi in like a century
>keep on winning and winning and winning
>eventually get so fucking bored of winning all the time so you let your apprentice throw you down a space well
>you still don't fucking die
Is being Sheev actually suffering?

A bald assertion isn't an argument. I've already refuted your representation based arguments. Give me something else.

>A Jedi uses the Force only to defend, never attack
>proceeds to force smack elites against the wall so fucking hard they lose consciousness, perhaps even die

>you still don't fucking die
excuse me?

>the issue is never brought up.

Yeah why can't we just walk away with that instead of trying to figure it out.

The whole point of yoda was to deconstruct luke's and the audience's perception of jedi as warriors. That they pursue the force for the force's sake.

Because time was of the essence. That would be their only chance to get Sheev or Vader without legions of troops available. And if Obi-Wan had gone after Sheev, even with Yoda there he'd have died just as quickly as Mace's goon squad.

sheev destroyed an entire planet with the force once

He wanted to lay it down hard on my our Sheev.
But hot btfo by the supreme force magician who throw a literal building on the little shit.

Wrong timeline bro

EU can go climb a wall of dicks

I unironically really like Episode 1 and Love Episode 3, but that fight is garbage.

It would have been interesting to see Yoda calmly walk into Sheev's room as he's standing staring out the window, and then they both sit down and stare at each other, beginning a mental battle of wits. Slowly, the world around them starts to shake and come apart as the two giants of the Force strain against each other and bring the full bear of their abilities against each other. Finally, Yoda seems to gain the upper hand, when Palpy does some underhanded shit and breaks his concentration, forcing Yoda to barley escape.

Because Windu was a practitioner of Vaapad & thus drew on the Dark as well. He was unpredictable & a master at spotting weak points on opponents. Palpatine was obviously pretending to lose in the first part of the duel so Anakin would feel his distress, but you can clearly see in the second half that he’s losing & underestimated Windu. Palpatine is amazing with a saber but ultimately is more at home with using the Force.

They're space wizards, no sabers.
Like you said, Palpatine was dismissive of the thing and Vader was his lightsaber - Yoda was the physical manifestation of being strong without conforming to the traditional views of it, making him a sword fighter just runs counter to the theme.

Obi-Wan still said that a lightsaber was a weapon for a jedi. If anything it's implied Yoda used one in the past.

yeah, bleeding khyber crystals and lightsaber helicopters are so much better

this. nu-eu is terrible

Don't forget Luke's milky time

>how would that not be defending the galaxy at that point
Ends don't justify the means for Jedi, also pretty explicit from what Yoda tells Luke.

But that user wasn't talking about the past. He was talking about how yoda and the emperor as they were in the movies.

>yogurts'

ayyy

Thank god someone else likes Phantom Menace. It has problems but to me it’s the only film after the Originals that I can watch & think ‘yes, this is the exact same universe as Star Wars - Jedi”

Clones is unwatchable & while Sith has some really really great points, it’s burdened by a second act that is mostly dragged out boredom. It definitely tries but I think the deleted scenes should have replaced many of the final ones. Especially the political scenes where the rebellion is started.

what gave you the idea I like Soy Wars?

Not to be too Occam's Razor here but a lightsaber is a pretty effective tool when you are up against your equal in the force. Might as well duke it out rather than stalemate with magic tricks.

Also makes more sense why George said he wouldn't be able to 1v1 Vader. If he could then why would he still be sitting in his swamp?

this, didn't he zap dindu pretty much immediately after Anakin does what he wants him to?

When I was a kid I assumed that was because he lost his lightsaber and was no longer able to deflect the lightning back.

It's a shame George didn't have a strong producer offering advice or screenwriter to tidy up these prequel stories. They would have been solid movies.

Serious question. How would you guys have handled Episode 7-9? Would you have continued Luke's story or have all new characters?

Agree completely, and "Vader was his lightsaber" is a good way to put it since the whole point of his character is being a top-tier manipulator.
I like a lot of the old EU but just because that user doesn't like it, there's no reason to possibly believe he likes nu-Wars or the nuEU.

You can view it as a subversion of expectations. It shows that even the strongest Force users can't rely on the Force alone. I prefer that over having wizard duels.

if you rewatch the scene and look closely, Windu lands a high kick in his face and sheev just throws his lightsaber away. It's not like Windu disarmed him, not at all. But it goes fast so it's not that obvious.

youtu.be/q0r4jNhG9Z4?t=141

>ate] [Auto] 19 new posts
>The power allowed a Force-user to generate unique hyperspace wormholes, violent blue vortices of Force energy known as Force storms, anywhere from less than one hundred meters to over one kilometer in diameter. Force storms could devastate the surfaces of entire planets and consume whole fleets of starships.[4] Storms could also safely transport living beings across the galaxy in a short span of time and, if used in conjunction with certain Sith artifacts, could send a being forward in time.

>this, didn't he zap dindu pretty much immediately after Anakin does what he wants him to?
you mean cut his fucking hands off?
yeah, that tends to lower your combat capability a bit

They tried to attack him first.

>artificial wombs
theguardian.com/science/2018/jan/01/scientists-a-step-closer-to-mimicking-way-human-body-creates-sperm

The concept art for Lucas original idea that has been posted the last few days seems like a pretty good way to go honestly. A few of the actual good ideas from TFA (like Finn's desertion) without the retarded execution, and most of the bad ideas replaced with really cool shit.
Give me that and a throwaway line about "Admiral Thrawn 20 years ago" and I think I'd be pretty happy.

>subversion is inherently good
What did you think of TLJ, then?

THis

>also pretty explicit from what Yoda tells Luke.

But what you just said is all that yoda says about it. For defense, never to attack.

If killing an asshole is the only way to defend, you'd have to be an aspie to think this fits in the category of 'attack'.

is there ONE expanded universe book or comic that isn't a steaming pile of megalomaniacal fanwank shit that sounds like it was written by a 13 year old?
who even reads this fucking shit?

not canon

The thread is literally about Yoda and Palpatine fighting the PT, user.

I think that like normal people they are better in other things than others, for once I don't think that being strong with the force makes them to be good fighters or in the same level as "force powers/strong with the force"

I think there are better sword-fighters than others still one of the most interesting reconnects in the new trilogy is the emotional balance that ones needs to have in order to perform well and we can also see that stuff in the others movies the biggest example would be when Anakin and Luke use "anger" to finish Dooku and Vader.

I prefer to believe that both Yoda and Sheeve are better in the whole Force field but not really great sword-fighters compared with others.

why doesn't yoda have a normal-sized lightsaber?

Yoda could be both adept at lightsaber combat and still easily crushed by Vader. Similarly it's believable that Sheev's disdain for lightsaber combat developed in the time leading up to ROTJ.

He's a manlet

I assumed both Sheev and Yoda used lightsabers in their youth but as they ages they used their experience points for force powers as their bones got older

makes sense for sheev still not so much for yoda since aging 20 years when you are 900 years old is like nothing

Again, ends don't always justify the means. You're being pragmatic, which I understand and is how I think of it too, but in ESB Yoda's being more Taoist about it. "When you light a candle, you also cast a shadow." That's what that whole scene in the cave represented - the effect of Luke's violence on himself.

I'd have Episode 7 focus on Kylo Ren's turn to the dark side
Maybe keep Rey as a trainee Jedi who managed to escape the massacre

But you didn't object to the thread as a whole, just a statement that you haven't told me what's wrong with it

Lucas openly confirmed that Palpatine did lose the duel. That was in 2014 & backed by Lucasfilm so yes, Palpatine lost the duel.

Also
>actually caring about the abysmal new canon

Maybe Yoda changed a bit of his mentality once Jedi Order was destroyed?

He was arrogant and he was part of the problem with the Order, maybe he saw what he did and changed is stance.

There is a time-gap and people normal change overtime, that or George is a hack.

>I'd have Episode 7 focus on Kylo Ren's turn to the dark side
And make his reason something better than "my uncle almost diddled me in my sleep at Jedi camp".

Thrawn trilogy

inb4 memeing about Luuke

What is this from?
Yeah the Thrawn trilogy. It's not perfect like some people hold it to be but it gets things mostly right and is a good continuation of the story after RotJ.

Someone didn't really understand the scene, yes it is a stupid scene but there is alot of backstory and feelings behind it.

Luke's attack was just the trigger not the reason.

I'm for it, it becomes a force battle between them at the end anyways.