Why does DC push a edgelord and a flying brick instead of Green Lantern...

Why does DC push a edgelord and a flying brick instead of Green Lantern? The concept of the Emotional Spectrum is fucking cool. They could turn Green Lantern into a juggernaut space opera franchise.

They already tried. It bombed.

It's hard to sell to normies

I'd rather they do more non-lantern space stories. Feels like GLs don't even fight anything that isn't other lanterns (including their own internal politics) anymore.

Johns got disillusioned by New 52 and the utter failure of the movie and let his run suffer.

His successor sucks and DC refused to and still refuses to admit it.

It was literally on the cusp of being a big thing and that movie ruined it all.

I know the movie franchise would have turned into Rainbow Lantern Wars: The Series fast but it would have been pretty cool to have GL be a premiere DC property.

I don't know, having the ringfags everywhere made the universe seem a little too finite and homogonized to me.

EARTH!

Because of this.

>his sucessor sucks

Fuck off.

I miss the red lanterns comic from New 52, are they still flying around as space ghost riders?

No, pretty much all of them died at the end and it was Guy's fault.

Do you have another explanation for why GL went from one of DC's best-selling titles to having passable sales at best almost immediately?

GL went from having five books a month to having two, and now doesn't even sell enough to warrant crossover events.

I remember Rankor and Bleez, or how the hell ever you pronounce their names, being alive along with Arty and Dex-Starr. Have they appeared in either of the rebirth lantern books? Or did rebirth retcon n52 RL away?

Because the world doesn't need 5 Gl books? Hal Jordan sells fine.

Over-saturation and a poor follow up to Johns run. Even then after Blackest Night Johns was clearly burned out and it could be argued he was phoning it in. That and a glut of GL titles made the line feel unfocused and cluttered.

The books were arguably at their strongest when it was 2 main titles and the occasional mini. GL, GLC, and Title X. When the line expanded the good stuff got lost and the rest suffered.

When Johns left they killed any momentum and the sales fell with all the relaunches and minis.

>poor follow up to Johns run
That's the point I was trying to make, that Johns' successor killed the momentum by not being nearly as good.

Wrath of the First Lantern was pretty good man
Yeah, Vendetti kinda ruined the franchise. #21 was really bad.

Have you seen twitch chat whenever Atrocitus comes up in an Injustice 2 match?

>what is he?
>a red lantern
>lmao are there blue and orange lanterns too?
>yep
>sounds retarded
>DC has cool superheroes but they all name them retarded things

>We'll never get Larfleeze in a game
I don't want to live in the gay sector any more

The same thing happened when John left JSA. Went from a high selling title to dog shit rather quickly. To make matters worse they split the book into two for some stupid reason.

Rankor got killed by Nubo. I doubt they'll bring him back.

Wow....what a shit way to go out, I kind of liked him after a while to be honest

He was in one of those Lego DC games.

I checked out of JSA when Johns left. It got so stupid with the team split, the All-Stars title had tragic art, and the main book had that fucking awful Alan Scott redesign where he was literally a giant green lantern.

green lantern has zero potential to be anything except a monday morning cartoon

characters powers and looks are also too repetitive to interest anyone who likes sci fi/ fantasy

the only joke of a superhero that actually has potential to be something better is superman since most of his decent villains are straight up sci fi shit. The only problem is that DC is too afraid to reinvent superman into something more interesting himself. No matter what he used to represent, the concept of an almost all-powerful superhero just isnt interesting. Clark Kent has an interesting background so make his superpowers actually interesting too for a change instead of literally having every ridiculous power imaginable. Superstrength and invulnerability are already powerful enough without shit like laser vision or ice breath. Maybe let him fly when he gets supercharged with light or kinetic energy or something.

because the edgelord and the flyin brick make more money

spend fifty billion dollars on green lantern in a single ear and maybe they'll take notice. if you don't have that kind of capital, get the fuck out of capitalistan

>The concept of the Emotional Spectrum is fucking cool.
No it's fucking not.

I still dont know why they went with Hector Hammond and Parallax for the origin movie. No one even fucken remembers Hector Hammond. I dont think Hal has fought him since 1991 in the funny pages. Parallax definitely shouldn't have been used for like two more movies.

The only cool thing in that movie was the couple of scenes where an actual comic reader could point out pretty much every GL they'd ever read about. They could have easily copped out on that by only ever showing Kilowog, Tomar'Re/Tu, a few others, and maybe hinting at Mogo.

But it's true, he just created (and killed) the future son of that awful Kyle/Soranik pairing.

I can't decide if DC tries to kill Johns books because somebody hates him, or if they think his runs and ideas are so strong anybody can follow him up and make it work. It's heaven or hell here.

Parallax was originally Legion from the kind of shitty 90's Emerald Dawn origin. They just renamed him late into production to line up with what was going on in the comics. Never mind the ways in which that made no sense in the film.

>Why does DC push a edgelord and a flying brick instead of Green Lantern?

Repeatedly demonstrable marketability and profitability. Worthy enough to fight in court for the right to keep selling them.

>The concept of the Emotional Spectrum is fucking cool.

That's just like, your opinion, man.

>They could turn Green Lantern into a juggernaut space opera franchise.

They could do that with many properties.

If you think DC hasn't tried to milk GL as hard as they could, you are so new it's practically a superpower. You're a mutant/inhuman, whose power is not knowing shit.

>Over-saturation and a poor follow up to Johns run. Even then BEFORE Blackest Night Johns was clearly burned out and it could be argued he was phoning it in.

FTFY

He was burned out for sure, but at least it felt like he was trying, albeit not hitting every time. Sinestro Corps War was probably the last truly great saga in his Lantern Epic.