Where are you?

>Denial
>Anger
>Bargaining
>Depression
>Acceptance

>Bargaining here
If Genndy has an alternate ending for the boxset I'm happy

Acceptance, damage has been done, nothing we can do about it.

Extra episode?

Acceptance.
We expected too much from Genndy, and so we were disappointed.
Another cartoon will come, perhaps it might surpass SJ.

Denial.
Much rather make my own ending.

>Denial
What what? No, this can't be it. Where's the rest of it? There's no way it can end like this.
>Anger
What the hell Genndy? We've been waiting over a decade for Jack to return to the past but not at the cost of everyone he ever knew and loved becoming nonexistant.
>Bargaining
Maybe if Jack finds the Guardian in the past and uses that portal to go back to the alternate future, everything will be alright.
>Depression
No, Genndy says he's done with the series. All hope is gone. It's just my headcanon.
>Acceptance
Jack finally accomplished his goal and defeated the ultimate evil. I should be happy for him. He's accepted his losses but everyone will be for the better in the end. He will find that happiness within himself someday.

I was OK since the beggining.

Acceptance

N/a, the ending was legit good, the more I sit with it the more I like it thematically.

I'm in a constant state of acceptance about most things. I'm much happier this way

I already accepted the ending would be trash after episode 7.

acceptance.
I'm just happy that one of favorite shows from my childhood got an ending.

It was ok, I think. Sure I expected something different but what happened wasn't that far-fetched. I put the blame on the first 3 episodes which filled us with expectations that the series, almost immediately afterwards strafed away from.

I just watched the last episode right this second

I'm mostly ok with it I guess, I'm just disappointed with how much focus was on Ashi. I don't necessarily hate the character but I waited this long to see Jack defeat Aku, not Jack and Ashi defeat Aku. It was supposed to be a story about a wandering warrior on a quest to defeat evil, not a love story

How the fuck would he get back to the past and not erase everyone?

Indifference.

Anger still

Satisfied

I blame the first 3 episodes for the high expectations. They were so fucking good.

I genuinely expect the future to disappear it always seemed logical to me. I also appreciated that killing Aku was basically effortless to Jack. I mean it would have been dumb after 50 years to expect Aku to pull something out of his ass that would give Jack trouble.

>never cared
it was an awful season but I was never attach to the show
However Genndy is one again confirming my opinion that letting creators run wild is always a bad idea.

that and they felt like Jack having a real adventure when come episode 5 onward it felt like it was getting unhinged in narratives.

>is one again confirming my opinion that letting creators run wild is always a bad idea.
Jesus, no.
It's not our fault that the animation industry is filled with hacks.

Denial.
I don't get over things, I fix them up.

Friendly reminder that the 5 stages has no empirical evidence whatsoever and not even their author wants people to take it seriously

Depression.
This means everyone he has met and everything he has done has been erased.

Sure he saved the world. But how can Jack go from a super advanced future with flying cars, robots and lasers that he has lived in for 50 years to a feudal Japan with horses and bows?

Will he just wander the world hell depressed until he dies alone as an old man?

Been sitting at phase two for a while now. I might jump to Bargaining soon and read the comic.

I would be happy if at least Gendy didn't forsaken the characters from the future.

>Everything the same, but good i.e not rushed.
>Roll credits.
>Post credits scene.
>Jack steps foward in a dark place.
>There's a big light coming from the roof and a big blue man in a suit, wearing red glasse standing in front of the light.
>Jack stares from under his hat.
>"So, mah man... you plan to use this portal to bring back you lil' friends from the future huh? Or was it YOUR past? Hah! Not gonna happen."
>Jack keep staring his eyes are visible now.
>"You see mah man... there's only one man who will use this portal"
>(Portal shows King Jack)
>"And you mah man... Ain't. That. Man."
>Jack draws his sword.
>"If that's the only man who will earn your blessing to use this portal fear not... I'm not here asking for permission."
>Guardian Laughs "HAH! HAH! HAH!" then draws a big katana from his back"
>They charge at each other and start fighting.
>Jack uses his horse cut technique while we hear his toughts "Ashi I'm coming"
>From the sparks of the blades there's a fadeway to a white place (the limbo maybe?) where we see Ashi floating in nothingness.
>Close to the her face while the screen goes black.
>"I'm waiting"

>WACHA!

Still denial, considering that I am trying to rely on headcannons.

I'm angry about it, but I've accepted it. At least Ashi was erased from existence

I guess bargaining as well for the same reasons.

This.
Damage is done, don't care anymore.

But it was entirely Jack who defeated Aku. Ashi was literally a plot device there, he could have found another portal or something.

If the series ending meant that all of the characters and settings I'd ended up getting attatched to were wiped from existence, I'd have rather the show stayed on hiatus.

I still think it would have been a better ending for Jack to have not been able to go back to the past, but instead realizing that his destiny was to help rebuild the future into something great. Jack realized that after all these years, the future WAS his home.

>"And you mah man... Ain't. That. Man."
I already told you, user: drop this line, it's OOC as fuck now.

It's such a shame because the first three episodes were really good. Ashi and her lack of personality ruined it.

Opposite for me, Ashi's death is really the only reason I'm pissed at the ending.

At least neither of you are one of those people pissed at BOTH Ashi's very existence in the show and her being killed off. That's just fucked up.

Acceptance. I didn't like how the season turned out but it was all worth it just for the first four episodes and seeing the Scotsman again.

As an adamant Ashi-fag I actually understand the sentiment of hating her and hating her death.
She was a MAJOR part of this season, and people who didn't like her only tolerated her because they liked seeing Jack happy.
So after dealing with a season where half the focus is on a character you hate, seeing her get unceremoniously and illogically killed off last minute(and implying that the characters you DO like also disappeared) would make someone like that really pissed off.

You didn't watch The Guardian episode then.

I'm saying that BECAUSE I watched it.
You, OTOH, probably haven't *re*watched it recently.

>Acceptance
In my mind, the ending wasnt supposed to feel satisfying. Its not the ending we wanted but it did make sense and both jack and the viewers will have to come to terms with the reality of the situation

Those people should be shunned from the fandom for having such fickle emotions.

For me, it's both. Ashi's inclusion in the show took time away from Jack and his development from the suicidal lone warrior we saw in the first three episodes into the slayer of Aku we all knew he would become. Ashi was a poorly thought out distraction, but she was forced in our face enough that by the end I was okay with her existence, even if she was completely shallow even at the end. Her part in the resolution of the finale was ridiculously dumb, but since she was going back with Jack there was the chance for a decent end with the two of them ruling over his kingdom. But after all that time, after all that shoving Ashi down our throats and telling us that she's perfect for Jack and that she's the best and all that, she fades away in what is literally the most telegraphed melodrama I've ever seen in a cartoon, complete with fanfic-tier dying exposition. They pushed this alternate romance ending onto us only to take it away when we were more or less satisfied with it.

It's like being told you're being given a delicious steak dinner, only to find out later that instead that steak is going to be ground up and made into burgers. Then, when you're finally hungry enough that the burgers actually sound pretty good, they bring the burgers to your table then immediately throw them into the trash and tell you to eat shit for getting your hopes up.

Acceptance.
I thought the ending was fine.

In your ((((food metaphor)))) can we at least acknowledge that the burgers looked and smelled delicious by the time they arrived?
This guy voices it pretty well and it isn't fickle

>Bargaining
Even though the finale was lacking in time and budget, it did what the series originally set out to do, with Jack finally returning to the past and undoing the future that is Aku

However, I wouldn't be opposed if, in a couple years time, the demand for a proper sendoff is enough to warrant a movie redoing the finale ala End of Evangelion

Whoops i meant voices it pretty well

The burgers looked acceptable. "Well, I'm hungry, and the restaurant is closing soon, so burgers are fine I suppose."

I've been in acceptance as of episode 7
I knew there was no way it was going to end on a truly satisfying note once Ashi's importance became apparent, so i just enjoyed the ride while I could.

>end of evangelion
I'm not quite done with it so I don't want spoilery details. But I'm aware of how legendary and controversial the ending is, did they really go back and change it with a movie?

Acceptance because I'm still glad we got it even if nothing was as good as the first three episodes.

you people are gonna complain about it for the next 13 years arent you

it was far from perfect but it was a good ending all things considered

Then explain you dumbass, why the guardian said he was not that man yet?

The creators never fully confirmed that it was a replacement ending, but it is largely accepted as the true finale to the series

>Thank you for shitting in my mouth, it was better than nothing

I caught the miscommunication between you two and I'm gonna address it.
The fanfic this user is supporting is set in the past, where the guardian has not met Jack and would not recognize him as king
This user is saying the guardian wouldnt say "you mah man..etc" because he learned about king Jack at the end of the episode, and has no reason to not recognize him. However, in the fanfic ending, Jack looks the same as he did in the first fight, and past guardian has not met him, so would likely say "you mah man...etc"

Did that help you guys?

But was it a retcon to the original ending?

I fucking loved the ending, so I'm not in any stage.

Fanficing

I didn't expect much and still I was let down by a really half cooked rushed ending that didn't in the least satisfy me or gave me the big fight I wanted to see

Wrong. The Guardian was talking to himself how Jack was not that man yet.

I really don't understand how you guys are not understanding this concept it's so simple.

THE GUARDIAN WILL NOT LET ANYONE BAR KING JACK USE THE PORTAL EVEN REGULAR JACK WILL NOT PASS.

Not mind it. It is just a cartoon. You should find bigger problems for your life and stopping caring so much about characters from a hobby.

I tried, have fun with your argument

Pretty firmly in bargaining or denial. They could come out of nowhere with something different or the DVD release could have something, or Genndy could come out and say something. I don't know.

i never got overhyped
i just wanted jack to go back and kill aku

so denial, then?

Short answer: Yes

Long answer: It's up to the interpretation of the viewer whether End of Evangelion is the same finale as the TV version from a different perspective or a complete retcon of the ending. I personally think it's the latter.

The only reason why End of Evangelion actually exists was because fans were mad at the original ending, so it being a retcon of the ending just makes sense

>or gave me the big fight I wanted to see
The fight in the future wasn't enough? What the fuck is wrong with all of you shitheads!?

Forever in denial because that ending was nonsense that defeated itself.
Supposed to believe that Ashi sent Jack back in the past, but also that Ashi never existed, but also that Jack has memories of her from months where she did exist.
No.

Simplify things and just say the Gods brought her back as a reward to both of them and to ensure they, and any resulting children, are around to fight Aku/similar evils should they ever appear again.

>The fight in the future wasn't enough?
Jack didn't fight Aku in the future. He didn't do a goddamn thing.

I want Aku to come back.

I want to protect his smile.

Why did he have to die, Sup Forums?

This user is saying the guardian wouldnt say "you mah man..etc" because he learned about king Jack at the end of the episode, and has no reason to not recognize him. However, in the fanfic ending, Jack looks the same as he did in the first fight, and past guardian has not met him, so would likely say "you mah man...etc"

Oops, sorry that is actually more tought of than my version, I read only one part and rushed to a conclusion. I'm very sorry.

>the show
Stage 5
>the constant threads about the show
Stage 2

After the episode ended on Saturday night, I kept switching between denial and anger.

For the past few days now, I've been switching between all of these. Today, however, I'm stuck between depression & acceptance: I'm mourning the loss of Ashi and this show, and I'm coping with the fact that there will never ever be another new episode, as well as no more fun Saturday night talkback threads.

>Ashi was a poorly thought out distraction
This, she was a literal fucking plot device and didn't need to take up as much time as she did doing what amounted to nothing. Any development for her as a character was pointless in the end.

>an alternate ending for the boxset
There's one that was storyboarded and put on youtube.
The gods reward Jack by bringing back a naked Ashi and Jack embraces and tells her that this is their new home.

I wasn't expecting much, so I'm overall pleased. Though the pleasure is mostly from watching everyone shit their pants. You are all so much more entertaining than Jack ever could be and I thank Genndy for this bounty.

That was just fan-made

I started of angry and sad, but the more I thought about it, the more I liked it.

Do you understand why he's smiling?
>Jack knows that the tainted future filled with billions of doomed souls has been alleviated of suffering
>Jack knows that countless other young couples like him and Ashi have been spared
>He knows that even though Ashi is gone, her actions have improved the lives of countless people, and that because of this she's more than just a memory
>Ashi gave him his life back and her actions created a world full of beauty and tranquility, something that the two of them cared more about than anything and is unbelievably romantic
>Jack knows how much Ashi loved him, and that she would want him to live a happy life in her absence, even maybe finding love again
>The red string of fate and they symbolism of ladybugs, along with lots of the afterlife rules that apply to eastern mythology dictate that souls exist outside of space and time, suggesting the two of them may meet again someday in the next world
>The future itself was an abomination that went against the will of the universe's creators, Jack, let alone anybody shouldn't have been there in the first place

I think the general reaction here and on other places across the internet speaks more to how most modern people are unable to acknowledge that suffering is an inherent part of life, and that suffering itself can actually lead to a fuller and more introspective life that allows people to truly cherish what they have.

Being sad is okay, and if Jack is content and has made peace with it, so should we.

I just kinda wish that Jack had an actual skirmish with Aku even before Aku possessed Ashi. Otherwise, I was fine with the actual ending.

none because i thought the ending was great
if you want jack to stay in the future, read the comics

I'll shorten that for you: what lies before him is an eternal life of a virgin and pondering on how he fucked up everyone he loved, apart from his parents who he had not seen for couple of decades and who are old husks and will soon die (they tried to retcon it, but I hope no one got fooled). He smiles because bug, although he didn't even know what ladybug means (don't even try with "she told him offscreen", that's beyond bs for a scene of such importance).

How can you have an afterlife if you never existed?
Besides that, I don't think you understand why people are pissed off at the ending. The themes were all over the place and the ending doesn't really match the rest of the tone of the series. When Genndy mentioned he wanted to have a bittersweet ending and Ashi was introduced, it was a huge red flag the entire season was going to be written for her and then killed for cheap emotional impact. Completely ignoring the fact Genndy just erased all the characters we grew up with in the future, people don't have to be content with this contrived forced ending just because Genndy wrote it like that.

It was a pyrrhic victory, he may have went back into the past and undo Aku's future, but he lost absolutely everything. That's hardly a reason to celebrate or feel happy about.

>I think the general reaction here and on other places across the internet speaks more to how most modern people are unable to acknowledge that suffering is an inherent part of life, and that suffering itself can actually lead to a fuller and more introspective life that allows people to truly cherish what they have.
Don't you fucking pretend you're so "above" it all because you made up some faux-inspirational bullshit to justify the end. All the shit you just said would have made sense if ANY of the preceeding episodes had hinted at that being the moral, or that there was any sort of logic to the end beyond "JACK'S WAIFU IS DEAD YOU MUST CRY NOW".

That's how I feel. Jack's spent his life building these bonds and becoming a savior to thousands of people, but instead of trying to fix the future and helping the people who idolizes he just erases them instead.

What does he have waiting for him back in the past? "Normal" life, stripped of everything he'd worked so hard for? Stripped of all of the friends he'd made, the people who looked up to him? That's fucked.

Jack fucked up big time by going back in time. He should have killed or sealed away Aku in the blade, and then paved the way for a brighter future.

The past is the past. The damage is done. The route they took only served to cheapen the gravity of the entire series, as if to say "None of it mattered, now that the past is fixed."

>How can you have an afterlife if you never existed?
Nobody knows how the afterlife works user, but based upon the mythology Samurai Jack's story and universe is derived from, that their reunion may be a possibility.
>Besides that, I don't think you understand why people are pissed off at the ending.
I agree with most people here that the pacing and execution could have been done a lot better, but my original post addresses the last scene specifically.
>When Genndy mentioned he wanted to have a bittersweet ending and Ashi was introduced, it was a huge red flag the entire season was going to be written for her and then killed for cheap emotional impact.
Fair point, but still I think she was a good vehicle for expanding Jack's character. He needed to sacrifice something more than just his wacky cast of future friends.
>Completely ignoring the fact Genndy just erased all the characters we grew up with in the future, people don't have to be content with this contrived forced ending just because Genndy wrote it like that.
We don't know if they were erased and we never will. For all we know they could have been born into a much happier Aku-less future. Not to mention the countless billions he saved from a horrible death at the hands of Aku
>It was a pyrrhic victory, he may have went back into the past and undo Aku's future, but he lost absolutely everything.
That's hardly a reason to celebrate or feel happy about.
True heroes must suffer if their victory is to have any meaning. Ashi surviving would have been absolute dogshit, and I say this as a massive jashifag.

>Faux-inspirational bullshit to justify the end.
These ideas are nothing new. Go read some Schopenhauer.

This whole "me me meee" mentality that lots of people are giving Jack is pure projection. The critical piece of Jack's character is that selfless to a fault and finds solace in his own tragedy by witnessing the happiness of others.

>Nobody knows how the afterlife works user, but based upon the mythology Samurai Jack's story and universe is derived from, that their reunion may be a possibility.
>We don't know if they were erased and we never will. For all we know they could have been born into a much happier Aku-less future.

Well you're just making up fan-fiction at this point.

The whole universe of samurai jack is literally build up Deus ex Machina's all over the place. They just take cool shit and throw it into the show. We know that the timelines are singular, Ashi vanishing is pretty much confirming that the Futrue we knew is gone, those people never existed outside of a Aku's future. Unless Genndy comes and explains that those people will still exist, then that wouldn't explain Ashi vanishing. Basically is garbage writing.

>True heroes must suffer if their victory is to have any meaning. Ashi surviving would have been absolute dogshit, and I say this as a massive jashifag.

I don't really care about Ashi, because she was a terrible character only to serve as a plot device, but to say Heroes must suffer to give their victory meaning is complete bullshit and you sound like a pretentious idiot. The journey itself always has suffering in it, alot of the greatest stories told always have the hero going through trials. This ending was clearly forced and doesn't even match what the original series was trying to convey.

You're trying to defend this writing by fixing up genndy's story for him, when clearly this is the same guy who didn't even bother looking at his own stuff, recton a ton of shit and handwaved things that would've gotten in the way of ashi screentime. The last scene doesn't make up for bad writing.

>These ideas are nothing new. Go read some Schopenhauer.
I didn't say they were new, I said they weren't the intended message for the end of Samurai Jack and that you had no right to act like you're the only voice of reason on this board, you condescending faggot.

Acceptance but also anger

>we expected too much

speak for yourself, I was satisfied with the ending.

Gee, I wonder why Aku tried to stop Jack from going back instead of not giving a fuck or even encouraging him to fuck off and leave him be. For sure not because it's established that there aren't any mulriverses and all the "but... but... who knows, maybe all the characters live happily somewhere" is complete bs.

>and all the "but... but... who knows, maybe all the characters live happily somewhere" is complete bs.
Why would Aku care about other characters? His reaction says precisely jack shit about them.

Anyone got that diagram with timelines parallel to each other? It was a single line, just curved (angled?) around itself. It explains the timeline best.

>Ashi living is a paradox that needed to be addressed so she needed to disappear since she was never born.
>Jack going through a portal that Ashi created (Even though she never existed) is fine.
This is why time travel is a retarded plot point that should be avoided unless you go through it with a fine toothed comb to check for consistency. You want me to accept a paradox created by the supposed solving of another paradox.

Same.

Expecting ashi to live is too much?

Acceptance and/or denial in the form of hope that he comes out of retirement to do another series where some bullshit justifies him pulling Ashi out of timestream and fulfilling the King Jack image (alternate timeline unleashes new evil, Jack is still immortal, at the culmination of it all he uses the not-destroyed-in-this-timeline guardian portal)

>much guardian
fuck aku, fuck ashi and FUCK JACK!

we want a buddy cop show featuring scotsman and guardian!

Acceptance. Still arguing about it because its fun.