Ben reilly - scarlet spider #2 storytime

>that fucking mask
Jesus christ, they made him look downy.

Someone watched the Punisher with Tom Jane, huh?

>red eye kaine
sorry what

As someone who always found Ben boring I'm really enjoying this book so far.

I suspect Benfags hate it for the same reasons though.

i dont think they actually hate it THAT much, but yeah

at least kaine kinda saves it

Best boy continues to be best.

They're basically turning him into something he never was, but after 20 years I'll take my chances to see where this goes more than anything.

Imagine going by to the 90's and telling people in comic book stores that Ben would become a villain and Kane would be one of Mavel's best antiheroes.

I read Ben growing up. I like how they made him me now.

>Ben will revert to his new costume by the end of issue 2 for plot-related reasons
>he doesn't even wear his costume in this issue
>he says he wants to lay low and not make anyone think he's still alive
>so he naturally goes back to his ORIGINAL COSTUME

Seriously.

can they fix this leprosy shit eventually? kaine was a total stud in his solo. now he looks like a sith acolyte with red eyes and scars.

Thanks, OP.

>would be nice to have Hummingbird's help

Or you know, LET HER EVEN KNOW YOU'RE ALIVE!!!

is there hope Hummingbird is still alive?

Or got it straight from the source.

why would she be dead?

This is so heavily handed that I doubt it.

she got kinda fucked up when spiderverse happened and the vampires hunted kaine

Hydra cap blew Vegas so....

and also the whole mexican werewolves hunting her thing

She already showed up alive in a panel in Kaine's backstory issue of Clone Conspiracy

This is pre-Secret Wars and it's thankfully not going to tie in.

This cover is offensively shitty.

Kaine!

Y'know, I really like Bagley and stuff, but how she looks 20 years old or something in the healthy mugshot is really offputting

All right, fine, I'll bite. I stopped reading comics before that new clone horseshit started. What the fuck happened?

I hate it that much.

Ben Riley was Deadpoolized, was Jackal for years. Got defeated by Otto throwing a bitchfit, because Ben dared threaten his waifu.

>stupid explanations make more sense than coincidences
So is this character supposed to be retarded?

You mean pre-secret empire.

Turns out being tortured, killed, and brought back to life countless times for sexual pleasure really messes you up mentally.

Ben tried to save the world by cloning everyone who was dead, this didn't wok out since he became a super villain by mistake and tried to kill Spiderman before just giving up and trying to causes a zombie outbreak. Now he's in a body that is only a few steps away from being as bad as Kane was back in the day. He's also off his rocker and trying to recreate the 70's/80's/90's Spiderman status quo in Vegas.

This all happens before Hydra Cap.

>This is pre-Secret Wars
I was really confused for a second

You meant secret empire.

Ben was my Spider-Man when I was a kid. I don't hate this book or what they're doing with him, but this Ben is a completely different character, so it seems silly to compare the two. On the other hand, I'm not sure what they can do with snarky antihero Ben clone spider-man that they couldn't do with serious antihero Kaine clone spider-man. This just seems like a weird retread of Kaine's solo.

Kaine, she is the reincarnation of the Aztec god of the Sun and War who, in the myths, had to battle every day star demons known as the Tzitzimimeh.

Her life will be always be in danger, Ben or no Ben. Coyote or no Coyote.

Best Spider Costume

Turns out that after Ben died and dissolved into clone dust in the 90s, the Jackal snuck in offscreen and salvaged the dust to sneak it back to his lab.

Since then he's been cloning and re-cloning Ben Reilly for decades, trying to create a stable, perfect clone. Every time he wakes up a new clone, he finds some new way to torture them to death and then captures their memories at the moment of death for the next one. So each successive Ben clone wakes up with the memory of all the last clone(s) horrible painful deaths.

Eventually one of them managed to break out after a couple dozen deaths and turned the tables on Miles Warren. He put him to sleep, then hatched a bunch of Miles Warren clones, and woke them all up together at the same age and memories and refused to tell them which one was real. So they all have to take a clone stabilizing pill every 24 hours or any one of them could turn into dust.

Ben then started an agency that offered to revive anyone as a clone for the right price, offering effective immortality at the price of a pill every 24 hours. He also cloned a bunch of Spider-Man's old friends and foes because why not. He also cloned Doctor Octopus and then real Doctor Octopus's brain patterns that had been in old man doc/SpOck/a robot got into the clone.

In the end everything went to shit, all the clones all over the world started to turn into destabilizing zombie things, Ben almost killed Spider-Man but ended up saving him and going on the run, and Doctor Octopus downloaded himself into the only perfect, stable clone Peter body that Ben had produced.

So now Ben is a half-destabilized crazy clone trying to be a good guy in Las Vegas, Doctor Octopus is in a perfect clone Peter Parker body calling himself the Superior Octopus, and for unexplained reasons Kain's face and eyes are fucked up again and he's hunting down Ben because why not.

>and Doctor Octopus downloaded himself into the only perfect, stable clone Peter body that Ben had produced.
This whole thing you're telling me makes me upset but I'll tell you I have never been less happy to perfectly call how a villain would come back to life.

I hope those are Gwen's kids

Kaine's face = Carrion in a advanced stage + losing The Other + celular breakdown(again)

His eyes were literally fine last issue though.

I dont understand the sense of this comic.

So I haven't been reading this or even realized Kaine was back from the dead. Why is Ben a shitbag now? Why does it look like both of them are degenerating? I thought Ben was a stable clone and Kaine's degeneration was fixed.

The answer is a few posts up from yours.

so why is Kaine a bad guy after saving the 616?

He's not. It's just that nobody's stopping him from being hardcore anymore.

There IS an explanation. I can't say...but they explain why. Sorry to be a vaguefag.

But Ben is Stable, right? The scars were just from him breaking down badly, which is weird because no other clone is that degraded.

So far, Kaine > Ben

I am a Deep Benfag, but I'm enjoying this more than his run as Spider-Man (but not his backstory mini or his original Scarlet Spider stuff).

Aracely when?

I saw something like this in a sci-fi novel; the "torturer" got the poor sap she had prisoner all hyped up, thinking she was going to burn his cock off, when hat she was holding to it was a hunk odf ice.

It's an interesting take on Ben (at least until they completely ruin it), and it's not like they suddenly made him an edgemaster, he has a pretty valid reason to be the current nutcase he is right now.

In a world where telepaths are a real thing and pretty much everyone knows they exist?

I really hope Kaine will get cured

What a shitty recap page

What the flying fuck is wrong with his neck?

user most conspiracy theories are built of the back of people preferring stupid explanations over 'it was jut a coincidence'

Does Pete know they're alive?

i dont think he knows ben is aliveaftr the events of clone conspiracy , but he knows about kaine

Best boy, at this point he doesn't even need to be in Texas to keep his edge in check.

He thinks Ben's dead, but he knows Kaine refused to believe it.

I really like this book, which probably means it will be cancelled in a year due to poor sales while Miles Morales SM continues forever.

Honestly? This book is actually pretty enjoyable if you read it with the clear idea that this is not Ben but a crazed clone thinking himself to be Ben.

Certainly, at least we can all agree that it's better than Venom right?

Now I want a picture of
>Kaine wants to be hardcore but his gay cop friend won't let him

Ben did say point blank he hired the men to attack her although as a "joke."

As far as Slott and PAD are concerned it's the same guy, even though that makes no sense

Who's he talking to?

his leg in this page cracks me up

Cool.

>Who's he talking to?

Maybe Kaine misses Aracely so much and her constant talking he dreads the silence now and so has started to talk to himself to fill the void of her absence?

Continuation of memories, it's the same guy.

But you can see the clone degradation has gotten to his brain.

Oh boy, Ben's an atheist edgelord now.

I thought Ben Reilley is supposed to be a good guy. Even if he ISN'T the original Spidey, his mindset, momories and motivations were IDENTICAL to Peter's. Uncle Ben's death was just as big a motivator as Peter's

Ben doesn't seem to be very Spidey-like at all here. He's supposed to be a hero.

Did they even TRY to research the character before they started?

Slott did this to him by having Jackal revive and kill him 27 times over until he basically went insane

It's an interesting book, I just don't buy that it's Ben. There's a lot of tells.

Also, the whole line of "Every time I died, there was just blackness" or whatever early in the issue, I really think this is just a clone Warren made, and implanted with the memories of the suffering. It would be faster for him, rather than have to actually torture him. The Jackal is nothing if not efficient. He wouldn't waste the time torturing one clone, killing it and reviving it, if he wanted to unleash an insane clone. But he would leave one with memories of being tortured, and becoming insane enough to murder him, while still pulling the strings from the background.

I fully expect that this clone'll find out he's not really Ben, and it'll set up for yet another Miles Warren return.

Isn't she supposed to be homely looking?

Why do you think he was sporting the Spidercide knockoff costume before people bitched and moaned for them to give him his classic look back?