Do you prefer Legends EU or New Disney Canon?

Do you prefer Legends EU or New Disney Canon?

I gave up on the EU about the time of the young jedi academy.

The Old EU was merely sometime bad.

Disneys Soy Wars is a weapon in the progressive lefts culture war to ethnically cleanse the world of my people.

On balanace I preferred the old EU.

I like what Disney did with labeling the whole EU as a non canon thing, it was too much mess.

They both have ups and downs.

EU has higher highs, but a TON of rediculous shit. Everything rediculous that can be pointed out in the extended canon can be one uped multiple times over by the EU. Don't get me wrong, canon has some weird shit, but EU takes it to a whole nother level

I also appreciate the effort to tie the canon together. It's satisfying to read a book or comic and see details of it directly referenced in a completely different SW story. This only ever happened in the EU if authors were deliberately working together. In canon, everyone has to answer to the same Storygroup.

On the other hand, there really isn't anything in canon yet that steps up to the like of Heir to the Empire in terms of quality.

I'd vote canon for the time being.

>What if Leia has a space wedding to an evil guy but she's secretly a robot with laser eyes
To imagine that people actually got paid for that stuff.

Neither, self-contained narratives are more valuable than an arbitrary fictional encyclopedia that is inherently devoid of artistic vision due to it being a festering mass of fluff text from thousands of different author trying to make a buck of a license.

If you're an autistic person, and you REALLY need to fawn over world building for world building's sake, focus material derived from either a single person or a collaborating group of writers. There's more dignity in that than ascribing continuity to a conglomeration of disparate writings.

I only cared about Darth Plagueis, Bounty Hunter Wars, Darth Maul books, some Clone Wars book and SW BF2 501st campaign.

They're both awful. But the Empire continuing to live on because of a tactically brilliant surviving admiral is much more interesting than "uhh theres another evil sith lord and uhhh he has death star lol"

Both are terrible, OT Master Race forever.

i always found the idea of the EU to be really cool, even though i never really delved into it past a few of the video games. no clue where to start digging into that 40+ years of lore.
despite having basically no exposure to the EU, i really dislike nu-wars, so i'll have to go with the EU.

>40 years of lore
Most EU stuff is self contained unlike canon. You can really jump in anywhere

I liked the video games. Only read Thrawn Trilogy which was good but from what I've read on Wookiepedia the sequel timelime is a mess of rehashed ideas from the movies, increasingly stupid superweapons and shit that ruins the ending in RoTJ. Granted the ST does all this as well.

Luke being turned to the dark side by a clone of the Emperor was far worse than what they did to him in TLJ. It ruins the entire point of the OT and is unoriginal as fuck.

Prefer some legends stuff. The prequel comics in the old EU were almost always kino. Then you get into shit like the zombie virus created by ancient Sith and it's just

>*Kills old EU replaces it with the new EU.*
>All these new books matter to the movies!
>Rian Johnson: So KK, do I need to follow an existing story line?
>KK: Oh fuck no, just write whatever the fuck you want sweety. Don't even watch TFA or read our new novels. It's fine.

Why are people so obsessed with what's "canon"? None of this shit actually happened anyway. You don't need some corporate stooge to tell you what constitutes the "real" version of Star Warsm

The directors come up with the plot outlines and then the Storygroup tweaks it until it fits in the canon

it's fun to pretend user

Helps with the escapism

I completely understand why they did it, just from a practical standpoint, but I assumed they'd cherry pick a few things from the EU that might be worth saving/repurposing for the sequel movies, at the very least some easter eggs.

They kept The Clone Wars and the Maul comic which is nice.

Other than that, I prefer their current strategy of introducing EU concepts into canon like Thrawn, without directly recanonizing specific books or other material

>Make movie called rogue one
>Its not a rogue squadron movie
Well fuck you too Disney.

I personally prefer EU before the prequels came out. I forget what it is exactly according to the story group, either T canon or A canon or B canon, whichever one with Thrawn in it.

Considering that the novelization of aTFA literally isn’t canon anymore because of TLJ? At least someone gave a shit about constancy in the old EU. Now you literally don’t have to speak to anyone if you are a writer for the nuEU.

If memory serves the movies were A cannon, while the novelizations, radio plays, and tv shows were B cannon, the old EU came after that.

Both.

Mouseketeers like to shut down discussion and conjecture by bringing up canon.

Adaptations have never been canon over the films. It's always been "canon where it lines up" to avoid inconstancies with deleted scenes etc.

>At least someone gave a shit about constancy in the old EU.
What? Who? Storygroup wasn't established yet and lord knows Lucas didn't give a shit.

>Luuuke

I think the old EU was ad hoc with some high level oversight and directives from lucasfilm. I know they were supposed to leave vader and the emperor alone for the most part (Anakin visits someone as a force ghost in truce at bakura, and the emperor clones in the dark empire comics), otherwise the books just fill things in as they go and establish things that are picked up and referenced in other stories.
But no one was mandating plot points and story lines as far as I know.

Cheecked

The novelization of ANH said Palpatine was a puppet with no real power.

Old EU was some really good stuff, with some really really bad stuff.
Disney is all bad stuff.

>Disney is all bad stuff

I beg to differ.

>stop telling me to quit bringing up shit that doesnt matter and isnt true
the problem is you. if a few people are talking about how cool lando was, you cant jump in and say "well ackshully lando liked to fuck babies and then eat them". and you especially cant start bitching when people tell you that retarded fanfiction garbage from the 90s isnt canon so it isnt true, meaning you cant bring it up as part of his character because he never actually did it

EI has some bad but I see a lot of good in it.
Prequel comics
Plagueis book
Bane trilogy
Thrawn trilogy
Tales of the Jedi
New Jedi order
Maul
Vader comics

EU*
Fug

Kylo Ren definitely seems inspired by Jacen Solo.
I haven't seen anything I like from the new EU, despite all the terrible shit in the old Legends they still had:
>Thrawn trilogy
>Kotor 1&2
>TIE Fighter
>Dark Forces series
>Empire at War
That shit alone is better than anything Disney has done in any of their new SW media so the old EU wins by default.

No, even shit that's in the movies has to contend with canonposting; unsurprising since basic memory of a subject isn't a prerequisite for you screeching retards to butt in.

>None of this shit actually happened anyway.

Just like the Endor Holocaust

Most of the shitty EU stuff people meme about was post-rotj, though not everything post-rotj was bad. The Thrawn Trilogy for example.

Everything else was golden.

CHILDRENS BOOK

Children's franchise

Legends EU of course. Minus the Fate of the Jedi series.

I read Young Jedi and Junior Jedi when I was eleven. It got me hooked. I was so sad when Disney went with Ben Solo, instead of the twins Jacen and Jaina Solo, Anakin Solo and Ben Skywalker.

It was just so way more interesting that Luke got married. In the EU legends Han and Leia were for the most part happy together and had grandchildren.

A bald assertion isn't an argument. I've already refuted your representation based arguments. Give me something else.

Like the EU legends is just more interesting in concept and ideas. Did it have plot holes and contradictions? Of course it did, but that's what happens when a hundred different people put in their own two cents.

I'm not gonna argue with you. We win arguments not by arguing with those we hate, but by saving those we love.

I saved you dummy.

Anything before episode I has barely been touched, so I still consider it 'canon' until it's shat on.

Yeah it was just foolish of Disney to unilaterally declare massive parts of EU un-cannon. It makes us all into heretics.

The Dark Horse comics were kino

What happens when some Chinese company buys Disney and wipes the EU again

Only Lucas matters. Everything else is fanfiction.

Why are people butthurt about a Sheev clone? He had a fucking clone army

It's not that it doesn't make sense. It's that it literally renders Darth Vader's sacrifice and Luke's choice to resist temptation in RoTJ completely pointless.

EU has a lot of bad stuff (Sun Crusher for fuck's sake) but also some good stuff (Plagueis, Thrawn.) nuEU is more or less all crap. So yeah, old EU is better.

What Disney SHOULD have done is look at the EU, take the good ideas and adapt them into canon while cutting away the trash. But that would require them to read, which is too hard. Better to just pay some hack writers to recycle the OT with some progressive shilling thrown in.

>take the good ideas and adapt them into canon while cutting away the trash
They've kind of started to do that with bringing back Thrawn and some elements of KoTOR in Star Wars Rebels.

Thrawn, KOTOR, quite a lot of the old comics are all better than the Disney MOVIES, let alone their 'updated' EU.

>in Star Wars Rebels
>implying that's a good thing

>and also not even all of KotOR just scraps to appease the fans

Those were also better than a few of the Lucas movies to be fair

Genndy Wars shits on both of them.

Ronald D. Moore (TNG,VOY,DS9,BSG) is doing the tv show, so it should be watchable.

The Expanded Universe has some pretty cool
stuff including the Yuuzhang Vong and Luke's continued story and some other awesome things, some of it is kinda meh but the great thing is that you can cherry pick what you digest since there's literally 1000's of stories within it.

But the new Disney canon has a Story Group which is supposed to prevent things contradicting each other. They're failing.

Legends is the only choice. Jacen Solo/Jaina Solo is so much superior to maRey Sue and Emo Ren.

sounds like a good choice, unless it gets bungled

I agree. Make your own story.

Honestly what they should have done was just the Thrawn trilogy, but adapt for when Luke was older. And for goodness sake no Ben solo! Its Jaina, Jacen and Anakin Sol and Ben SKYWALKER. Those characters have been apart of the cannon for like 20 or so years. Why'd Disney have to do their soviet cultural revisionary shit on those characters?

Legends EU is too messy

THANK YOU!

Yes we all know its messy. However, it wouldn't have been to hard to smoothing the stories

God I love the Vong. Sure they're OP bit man after TFA came out giving us the same schlock I quickly went and bought all 19 books

together. All the stuff prior to the Clone Wars in the Old Republic doesn't contradict each other (Other than that crap game Swotor which butchered Revan).

Though to be honestIy I didn't like dawn of the jedi. To much of this buddhist crap that 'oh you gotta be balanced between light and dark!!!!' I'm like no screw that lets just be good guys and fight the bad guys.

This

The weirdness of the Vong could easily be made palatable. Keep the "bioweapon" aesthetic to make them unique, but get rid of the staves -- the Vong are already Trek-looking enough without more visually unappealing shit.

In addition, as opposed to being immune to the force, make them resistant -- like the Hutts.

No mind tricks. No ability to sense them in the force or predict their thinking. No sensing their motives.

Give them light-saber equivalent weapons so we can have the duels that look so good on film.

>farmer kid offers Windu a drink from his water bottle after he’s finished “dealing” with the droids
>Windu drinks from it with a big smile on his face
what a guy

>it wouldn't have been to hard to smoothing the stories
The problem with keeping the old EU intact is that it pretty much shits on the next several decades after Jedi. You would have a really hard time finding a window of opportunity to tell stories that have Han, Luke, and Leia doing something worthy of making a trilogy about that just never got mentioned in any previous book, and that doesn't invalidate some later entry.
I loved the old EU, but keeping it around means you're walking on eggshells.
Not that the disney movies are great, but it isn't for lack of opportunity.

EU is interesting, original and multidimensional. Legends EU all the way. Post-ROTJ EU is the stuff where most of the "Luke, did I ever tell you about [x]" memes spawn from, which is some of the earliest EU material. Video games like Jedi Academy aside, I'm slightly less interested in that and more interested in everything from Dawn of/Tales of the Jedi all the way to Dark Times and the rebel era stuff.

I don't have time for Disney canon because I don't even watch their movies. I've only seen TFA and it was hot garbage.

The biggest causes behind 'Legends' shitposting stem from the fact that it's a massive normalfag filter and somewhat of a boys club. You generally will not be accidentally sucked into it unless you have a very masculine brain and enjoy taking your interests to extreme levels.

Everything is shit pretty much. The Legacy comic series is a great follow up though. If you've played the KotOR games and know what the Vong are that's a great series. Almost a perfect send off to the franchise.

Which is by they shouldn't have done a trilogy with the actors of OT. It was doomed to fail. Just like how Han Solo is doomed to fail. Better to start a new Star Wars stories with new characters to have a fresh start.

A TV series on the Mandalorian Wars would have been OP. There is so much in the EU which doesn't have a story yet, but is hinted at. Just do a movie or tv series about that.

Mostly good up until NJO series.

NJO series was hit or miss depending on author.

Post NJO almost uniformly shit.

This.

Sun crusher is less dumb to me than a planet which absorbs a sun for power (and leaves it behind when the planet explodes).

The canon has a bright future ahead of it

Gonna assume you mean good up until NJO timeline-wise instead of real life releases

>Though to be honestIy I didn't like dawn of the jedi. To much of this buddhist crap that 'oh you gotta be balanced between light and dark!!!!' I'm like no screw that lets just be good guys and fight the bad guys.
Well thankfully Disney has made it clear the oldest jedi just needs to be forgotten about anyway.

how would BLUR Studio handle expensive CGI frame-by-frame remakes of the 2003 5 minute Genndy Wars shorts? I wouldn't know personally, as I'm posting from the wrong timeline where such brilliant ideas would never have a chance of getting funded.

>No mind tricks. No ability to sense them in the force or predict their thinking. No sensing their motives.
Wasn't that always the case?

You make it sound like they'd have had the OT actors, in their 60s/70s, playing their characters 10 or 20 years after ROTJ. Nobody has ever suggested this.

I don't know where the old EU ended up (I'm midway through Legacy of the Force), but I don't think it would have been impossible to have a Luke,Leia and Han who'd been through Thrawn and the Vong and had Jacen,Jaina,Anakin and Ben around. And they could have said something like 'New canon continues as if NJO didn't happen', or just Legacy didn't happen, whatever.
They DEFINITELY could have kept anything/everything from before the prequels. Have they even started doing anything with the older period yet?

Well, the original EU not being canon means there won’t be any more real additions to that timeline. I would have loved to see what happened with many of the characters hanging around at the end and I’m also way too shit a writer to do it myself

Kylo is definitely inspired by Jacen (and clearly named for Ben Skywalker) but Jacen is a superior character in every way. I mean, Jesus, we still have no evidence of Kylo’s pull to the light despite multiple characters saying it exists, no idea why he actually chose to go dark instead of just running away from Luke, and no idea what he hopes to accomplish from the First Order. Whole books were devoted to that for Jacen and managed to make him seem truly conflicted and with very noble goals coupled with huge insecurities. Kylo just seems like he needs to be in a mental hospital.

>checking satan trips with a pair of sevens
You are truly blessed my child

At least Abeloth was a newish idea instead of endless rehashes and the Vestara/Ben relationship sort of evolved naturally instead of Reylo’s I Hate You -> I See You Shirtless -> Take Me, Lover dynamic

Now THAT is a good looking SW fight.

They have the names of KotOR things but nothing else. And for fuck’s sake, Malachor looks pretty intact instead of a gravity-blasted ruin.

Very hard to argue with that logic lol