J-Horror

Anybody else enjoy J-horror? I really like it but it's pretty obscure here and difficult to find good films. Here's some films I think are worth watching

>Good tier:
Dark Water (2002)
Tag (2010)
Cure (1997)
Kyofu (2010)
Ringu (1998)

>OK tier
Suicide Circle (2001)
Ringu 2 (1999)
Battle Royale (200)
Infection (2004)
Pulse (2001)

>Shit tier
Loft (2002)
Reincarnation (2005)
Audition (1999)
Occult (2009)
Ringu 0 (2000)

What do you think Sup Forums

Also fuck everything to do with mobile phones

If you've seen one j-horror movie you've seen them all

this.
mostly they are just edgy shit.

>no The Wailing
>but Battle Royal = OK
lolno

fuck you i liked rinne

Have you ever noticed a recurring theme of the "evils" of technology in J-Horror? Ringu, Pulse and Suicide Circle demonstrate this.

Considering the ongoing popularity of films like Ringu in Japan, does that theme resonate with Japanese society? Is it linked in some way to a fear of technology due to Hiroshima/Nagasaki?

Kind of odd, considering that it's one of the most technologically advanced countries on earth

Maybe but I like it, faggot. Also
>The Wailing
>J-Horror

I thought that at first because there are so many shit films but Cure definitely changed my mind. It's mostly ghost stories, then there's serial killers or killer dramas, and then there are horrors which are pretty insane and that western filmmakers would never think to write. The only problem is that you have to watch 10 shit films for every good one.

>Anybody else enjoy J-horror?
used to, I think I've seen everything there is to see, including the korean and chinese and thai knockoffs

Two of the best asian horror movies i've seen weren't even japanese.

>Coming Soon
>Shutter

>Kind of odd, considering that it's one of the most technologically advanced countries on earth
Good question, I find that most films tend to be more about traditional elements and using technology as a medium rather than specifically about technology. Sure there are computers and mobile phones which carry the spookiness but the recurring theme underneath is pretty typical, like a ghost, or trapped lost soul, etc. And that the solution is to free them. Tetsuo Iron Man is probably as close as you get specifically to evils of technology.

The original Ringu (the book) is actually about disease, nothing really to do with technology, then it got adopted into being about technology a little more with the same theme underneath. Suicide Circle is about critiquing modern society altogether, and Pulse isn't much to do with technology except from the very beginning.

>state of your taste
lmfao, kill yourself

ringu is the only good one. cure is absolute trash

Interesting, thanks for the insight. I loved Suicide Circle, didn't really get into Pulse, might give it another try. Will check out Tetsuo. Does the Ringu book have an English publication?

I loved Pulse, it creeped me out but I kept rewatching it. I was listening to a lot of Godspeed You Black Emperor's music around the time I saw pulse and they kind of go together with their atmospheres of loneliness and the end of the world.

There is Noroi

Someone here recommended me Tomei to me a while ago and i've hated the genre ever since

Ju-On is pretty good until Grudge 2

Watch the movie Godspeed You Black Emperor the band is named after.

Audition is a masterpiece, you cunt.

Pulse was fucking terrible. It has one mildly scary moment and the rest is literally just people talking and then the movie is just a metaphor for people losing real interaction because of the internet.

Pulse is great nigga.

>Tag (2010)

This one is from 2015, isn't it? Or am I thinking of a different movie?

The 2015 one is a sequel there’s like three of them and they’re all pretty awful desu.

Search for Riaru Onigokko instead.
As the user above said, there's 3 of them. The one released in 2010 is the second one.

Nevermind this, there's 5 and a TV series.

seeing as you don't have 'a tale of two sisters' on that list i'm just gonna go ahead and assume you're an absolute moron.

>Battle Royale
>J-Horror

>Battle Royale
>not in God-tier category

Fuck you, OP.

Because that's a great gook movie you dolt.