So i assume we're never going to get an explanation for this scene or how Maz got that lightsaber seeing how it was...

So i assume we're never going to get an explanation for this scene or how Maz got that lightsaber seeing how it was destroyed?

Bump

Rian took JJ's mystery box and fucked it. It's dead. He subverted so much that TLJ has gone beyond being a sequel. TFA and episode IX will form a SW duology while TLJ will rise above the entire Star Wars franchise as the one true kino

Johnson discarded the Knights of Ren and explaining why a lightsaber is suddenly sentient in favor of the nonsensical subplots, condemning "mansplaing", and anti-climatic resolutions to things stressed in the film before? It's like having sex with a hot girl and right before you climax she pukes on you. You never get to finish what you started, instead she just says "i bet that subverted your expectations, didn't it?" and walks away.

The real question for OP is if you really want to have another Maz scene

>The real question for OP is if you really want to have another Maz scene
Not really. But since The Last Jedi already has a scene featuring Maz, it could have used it for more productively. Did the hacks at Lucasfilm ever hear of chekhov's gun?

I always assumed that the lightsaber awakened rey's powers and the force vision was her looking at the previous owners memories (Luke). This is also JJ, the creator of lost, so go figure

there's nothing in the box. that's the point. abrams never planned any outcomes

Why did Disney allow this?

JJ deserved it. His mystery box writing style is retarded and Lost is proof of that. TLJ could have been alright if the script wasn't injected with Kathleen Kennedy's agenda. Whatever Star wars is crap anyway

They are too confident and believed JJ was on Kevin Feige's level

based Rian

You write as if Feige is on an impressive level. All he does is advertise sequels through lame after credits scenes. It's fucking annoying because fatties always block the exits because they want to wait for the last scene. Fuck off Feige!

>Johnson discarded the Knights of Ren
He didn't. Luke mentions that Kylo took students with him.

Kevin's level is competent, which JJ is not

because they don't care about story or saga. they wanted a new star wars movie by christmas 2015, so they got abrams to slap a few ideas together and get it in the can. the details didn't matter; snoke's final design wasn't even chosen until less than a month before release. they just needed something with "star wars" on it

someone forgot the moral of the LAST JEDI:

>the past is the past it doesn't matter don't think about it all that matters is the future and feelings

>He didn't. Luke mentions that Kylo took students with him.
Where are they? We're two movies in and they amount to a single line and a six second cameo.

Tho I can't wait for the Solo, Kenobi, and Bobba Fett movies!

Except the past is the foundation that holds everything together. The first six films understood this if you watch them in episode order. They tell a complete story about a son learning and surpassing his father and saving him after he thought he had lost everything that made him human.

Maz will tell the truth about Rey parentes and they she wil die from "sindicate issues" or whatever seconds before telling about the saber

Star Wars was about Luke and the further we get away from him the worst it gets. The Original Trilogy told a complete story and it should have ended there. If you had to make more movies, they should have focused on completely different conflicts and characters.

Yeah like "you don't win killing the ones you hate, but saving the ones you love"
If not for Luke ExMachina they all be dead because Yandere was in love with senpai

JJ is far more competent than Feige.

That's literally not the moral of the movie. In fact, you're spouting Kylo's lines, the villain of the film. The moral of the film is that you can't go forward without the past.

>competent
>can't even make a decent fan service movie

Don't worry sweety, we will give you a book about it.

Neither can Marvel. TFA is far more competent than those garbage Avengers movies.

What's wrong with A New apeman and mary sue yelling for 2 hours Hope?

Rewatched the Thor and Hulk fight recently and it did not age well.

The best thing they could have done is to have set Ep 7 100 or so years after RoTJ. You can still have Luke/Leia/Han on screen, but as minimal flashbacks interspersed throughout the story. The story should NOT have had anything to do with them, but have the flashbacks recount how the Jedi was restarted, how the New Republic took form. The flashbacks would give context to the problems of the new trilogy. This way, you can have your fan service, but the story is set far away enough that it can breathe on its own.

Instead they put the new trilogy within the lifetime of the OT cast, which undoes everything they did. It needlessly extends the story and ruins its finale.

It is, but still a very forgetable movie, 2 hours of a very generic toy commercial

>flashbacks
Flashbacks have no place in a Star Wars film and they were awful in The Last Jedi. But I agree with your general idea. Just replace the flashbacks with statues or monuments in honor of Luke Skywalker and Leia Organa. Think Wind Waker style if you're familiar with the Zelda games.

Knights of Ren still had a line in TLJ. They've been in hiding, waiting for Kylo's command, who shrouded his mind from Snoke and deceived him into thinking he had full access into his thoughts and emotions. Kylo has always craved power. Now that he has the throne he summons his knights. Final movie is Kylo successfully decimating the resistance, with only Rey and some pals getting away. Maybe Rey triumphs, but in the end somehow Kylo is thwarted, the resistance ends, the last vestiges of the empire/new order dwindle away, and the universe gets some throwaway line about now having a "new hope" for the future, embodied in the preternsturally force sensitive kids. Cue the new spin off trilogy.

That's one way I imagine they can try and make the entire trilogy consistent. Kylo has been playing 4D chess. He made Rey and therefore the audience sympathetic to him. Then he goes all out and we see how truly malicious, powerful and manipulative he actually is.

Yeah something like that. I wouldn't want 5 - 10 min sequences of Luke and Leia.

it's really not, the entire movie makes 0 sense
nah
new republic starts hunting for force sensitive people because they don't want the history to repeat itself
luke goes exile cause of this
the first order is a terrorist organisation led by a dark force user
it's really fucking simple, but they didn't even attempt to make a decent story

I would have The Knights of Ren front and center as the antagonists.

>new republic starts hunting for force sensitive people because they don't want the history to repeat itself
>luke goes exile cause of this
>the first order is a terrorist organisation led by a dark force user
So X-Men basically? Complete with LGBT subtext?

But even that is better than what we got.

I don't really care about subtexts, but it would make sense in this world since the Jedi/Sith rivalry caused every trouble

+ the old jedi killer concept for Kylo Ren, who collect jedi/sith artifact
it's good fanservice also it makes actual sense

So Disney is no better than Lucas with the prequels? Except this time there isn't even a good animated series or video game to make the most out of the ideas that do work?

Nope. I never expected these movies to have any sort of depth or logic to them but I was under the impression that Maz would have some sort of larger role given the fact that she possessed the lightsaber and the mystery surrounding it. Her portrayal in TLJ was a joke. For someone who disliked the First Order you'd think she would have brought up this master codebreaker who can disable the defenses of the enemy earlier. Awful

Why would you even care how the lightsaber made it into her hands in the first place? Are you also one of those guys who wants to know everything about those Tusken Raiders who shoot at the Pod Racers in EP1?
TFA was shit.

I don't. It shouldn't be in the movie. Shouldn't even still exist for that matter.

No shit JJ didn't put anything in the box. The crime is when Rian didn't draw anything from the box either. He just left it shut and set it on fire then stomped on it a few times. I'd use a sports analogy to show what a blunder it was, but you wouldn't understand it.

Maybe he had to kill them in order to please snoke or maybe they were actually the red dudes lmao lol desu senpai

I loved how it subverted my expectations.

This is the dream

That's a story for another time, user.

I agree. JJ is absolutely horrendous and the biggest example of the modern trend of not telling the audience anything significant and playing it off as mystery or ambiguity.

TLJ was always going to be weird and fuck Luke up, it was Rian Johnson's plan. Maybe he would have gone more radical and brought it around to be good by doing that, and had it edited better. If the Rose plot was cut out and more Luke/Reylo exposition thrown in it could have been better.