Jack Kirby self-insert as a no-nonsense super tough guy who can stand-up against literal gods without fear

>Jack Kirby self-insert as a no-nonsense super tough guy who can stand-up against literal gods without fear

How did he get away with this?

Other urls found in this thread:

books.google.com/books?id=KI-et-e206EC&pg=PA192&lpg=PA192&dq=nixon darkseid dc&source=bl&ots=9vhJc3DA4v&sig=ZFFzNtHgMvydDYBrzd-FBA3oa0s&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi0wsKt34nUAhXGyoMKHZOdAZ0Q6AEIRzAJ#v=onepage&q=nixon darkseid dc&f=false
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

By staying true to himself.

Kirby didn't do that tho, it was Kirby fanboy timm that wrote that.

He was already dead, why would he be afraid of anything?

Except Terrible Turpin was completely different when Jack drew him and Timm just altered the design to pay tribute to Kirby.

Keep not reading comics though

>written by fans
>not actually self inserted

>self-insert

Well there you go, you're retarded

To be fair, Kirby inserts a lot of his personality and the personality of others in his work. Funky Flashman is clearly Stan Lee after all

New Gods was full of characters based on people he knew. But there's no self inserts as far as we know.

>To be fair, Kirby inserts a lot of his personality and the personality of others in his work.

Wow he sounds a lot like literally any person that has created a work of art or fiction in the history of the human race here.

Who was Darkseid supposed to be ?

>Pre-Crisis Superman had a rich/crazy full mythos
>through it all away
>keep on using Kirtby's 4th World stuff because at one point for a few issues some of them showed up in a Jimmy Olsen comic.

Everytime I see a 4th world character in a Superman comic I avoid it. You know its just a Marvel Fan Boy writing the only thing they care about..Kirby Stuff.

Nixon, not even kidding.

books.google.com/books?id=KI-et-e206EC&pg=PA192&lpg=PA192&dq=nixon darkseid dc&source=bl&ots=9vhJc3DA4v&sig=ZFFzNtHgMvydDYBrzd-FBA3oa0s&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi0wsKt34nUAhXGyoMKHZOdAZ0Q6AEIRzAJ#v=onepage&q=nixon darkseid dc&f=false

which leads to some funny stuff, since the guy who played Skeletor in the 80's Live Action MOTU movie based his performance on Darkseid after reading some Fourth World comics, and then ended up playing Nixon a couple decades later(and if I recall properly he was chosen to play Nixon partly because of his performance as Skeletor)

>But there's no self inserts as far as we know.

Reed Richards & Ben Grimm were sort of a split self-insert.

Not every artist puts themselves, their boss, 4 random strangers they met in the street, Don Rickles, and Rocky Balboa in their work

Well I can't help but read this in Nixons voice now

It's funny because Kirby was a pushover.

I mean, he was a sweetheart, it sucks that he never really stood up for himself.

HYPERCRISIS

When it came to his finances he was a pushover. Remember the story where Jack went to go confront Nazi sympathizers who were angry at his Captain Anerica cover? Man Kirby was a pretty inconsistent Jew.

Know this, Kal-el, I've become bitter, and let's face it, crazy over the years. And once I'm acquired the Anti-Life Equation, I'll sell your children's organs to zoos for meat! And I'll go into people's houses at night and wreck up the place! Muuuhuuuuhahahaha!

(You)

What a loser. He could've been making fists with SIX billion hands.

I remember reading in one of the forwards of the New Gods Omnibi that the King really inserted facets of himself into all of the characters.

>Well I can't help but read this in Nixons voice now

jesus fuck I'm terrified now

He sure did, that's what made it so personal.

Well, he's lost my vote.

And that's why it was difficult to conclude the story 10 years later. Kirby changed, the world changed. Nixon wasn't really a thing anymore.

I still think that it made the ending better, maybe not as mythological and grand, but a lot of incidental parallels with Highfather's journey/.
Kirby had grown, and so had Orion, and in turn learned from that message of the Pact.

Nice

Damn, that's crazy. Frank Langella was phenomenal as Skeletor. Best part of that dumb movie.

basing your characters on situations and people you know, including yourself is something every decent writer does.

what about this says Nixon

Fuck. I will forever hear this now.

It's not a self-insert if it's not yourself that you are inserting.

Any anons have a good Nixon impression they want to share?

Langella's performance is the only reason why I still occasionally watch that movie, the guy fucking destroyed everything with his performance and you can see he had fun with it.

It's true, but how is Kirby at fault for it? It was a retarded trend started by Byrne.

And Timm.
Fuck Timm for doing that in the DCAU.

>When you create a god and that god kills you

you are largely incorrect, unless we're talking about 20th level wizards like ullillillia

Because it's dramatic

Damnit, that sounds so much better.