Western film culture has always had a decidedly liberal...

>Western film culture has always had a decidedly liberal, humanist slant but this wasn’t usually a problem until 2017 when that slant deranged critical thinking. In the US, wide praise for the utterly mediocre "Wonder Woman" seemed based entirely on the inference of media folk who, embarrassingly partisan reasons, were desperate to claim victory for any female figure. This pathetic delusion came from an obvious, topical, political basis, but It had a terrible cultural effect: The unrivalled best film of the year "A Quiet Passion", Terence Davies’ biography of poet Emily Dickinson, had depth, beauty and intelligence but was ignored in favour of a third-rate comic book movie that primarily appealed to superficial, juvenile empowerment fantasies that many wanted to see take effect in the real world. Escapism was never so tragic.

>Movies are no longer a populist art form. But has Art failed in this political climate? That seemed to be the point of Ruben Ostlund’s Cannes winner "The Square", its title being a fittingly fungible metaphor for the morphing of cinema’s screen shape into ever diminishing formats (TVs, computer monitors, tablets, cell phones and – funniest of all – watches). As a result, the five best films I saw in 2017 –Davies’ "A Quiet Passion", Duscatel-Martineau’s "Paris 05:59: Theo & Hugo", Jerome Reybaud’s "4 Days in France", Alain Guiraudie’s "Staying Vertical", Claude Barris’ "My Life as a Zucchini" – nearly all failed to achieve the cultural stature and impact they deserve.

Other urls found in this thread:

bfi.org.uk/features/best-films-2017-all-the-votes/#/?poll=combined&voter=b10a1b
twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/158028308611735553
out.com/armond-white/2017/4/17/all-best-filmmakers-are-gay
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Based

King of Sup Forums

Yaaaaaaaasssssssssss queen slayyy

unironically based black man

Can i get sauce for this based statement?

>americans misusing liberal
The founding fathers would literally spin in their graves if they knew

He says the same shit every year. Every year is the new crisis year, has been for the past ten years, at least. Jesus, the pandering is obvious.

He does have good taste in films, though expecting the masses who embraced Wonder Woman to check out the films he lists is absurd.

Seconding this

He could have made up all of those movies. I haven’t heard of a single one.

I told you Batman v Superman was kino Sup Forums, why didn't you listen?

Enlightened

I can barely pretend I like him when some of his favourite movies are Pain & Gain and Man of Steel.

It's not his fault you have no taste.

Basically a shit version of Pauline Kael. Makes some interesting points but too much waflle and has a huge chip on his shoulder.

My Life as a Zucchini is legit my favorite movie of last year.

I had no idea he'd predict my favorite movie of the year.

>appealed to superficial, juvenile empowerment fantasies
Is it possible to like capeshit and be a grown up? Jw. I thought comic-book stuff was kinda cool when I was younger (while not being obsessed) but something like TDKR I couldn't see the point of.

Not capeshit, but cinematic art featuring "super heroes" such as Zack Snyder's "Man of Steel" is alright.

I love this man

The problem is, there was a time when major film critics recognised great films, and actively promoted these great films to the pleb masses. Before the rise of the internet, Film critics were the gatekeepers of kino. But now that most have been bought off by the Hollywood since arty Newspapers are in the shitter, and are promoting filth for a quick buck, plebs everywhere are pretty misinformed.

When Marvel movies are getting the same ratings as modern greats, you know there's something with film critics.

bfi.org.uk/features/best-films-2017-all-the-votes/#/?poll=combined&voter=b10a1b

>In the US, wide praise for the utterly mediocre "Wonder Woman" seemed based entirely on the inference of media folk who, embarrassingly partisan reasons, were desperate to claim victory for any female figure.
I'm not sure how many of those reasons were partisan and how many had to do with briefcases full of money.

Surprised he picked Theo & Hugo over BPM. Maybe he just loves the orgy scene so much

>complain about social justice conspiracy and 'cultural marxism' at every smallest opportunity
>like the critic who likes gay movies
I don't understand you, Sup Forums

Based
How can other critics compete with Armond "Honorary" White?

BASED RIAN

what does it mean that the most based critic is a gay Christian black man

>Davies’ "A Quiet Passion"

Never heard of it

>Duscatel-Martineau’s "Paris 05:59: Theo & Hugo"

Never heard of it

>Jerome Reybaud’s "4 Days in France"

Never heard of it

>Alain Guiraudie’s "Staying Vertical"

Never heard of it

>Claude Barris’ "My Life as a Zucchini"

Never heard of it

So...
Rian Johnson is super creepy? How old is he?

This is literally how 14 year old girls use Twitter.

That's the problem, numbskull.

Take note, this is how you get the respect of Herzog

10/10 would let him impregnate oneself's wife

Why would you admit being a plebeian?

>my doppelganger
Is this Herzog's version of my nigga?

I usually think this guy's a faggot, but he has a point here. All these liberal celebrities dickrode this movie only because it was the first really big comic book movie with a female lead.

Neither do they

BASED Armond, BASED Herzog

post yfw this is real:
twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/158028308611735553

>both brilliant
>both antisocial autists
It must mean something

>Western film culture has always had a decidedly liberal, humanist slant but this wasn’t usually a problem until 2017 when that slant deranged critical thinking.

What did he mean by this

I browse Sup Forums all the time I'm up to date on new releases and film news and I haven't heard of any of those.

>Davies’ "A Quiet Passion"
openly gay director
>Duscatel-Martineau’s "Paris 05:59: Theo & Hugo"
openly gay directors, lgbt subject
>Jerome Reybaud’s "4 Days in France"
openly gay director, lgbt subject
>Alain Guiraudie’s "Staying Vertical"
openly gay director, lgbt subject
based on a book by an openly gay writer

what did Armond mean by this

Checked them out and three out of five are gay shit
/ourguy/ really showing his biases this year lmao

>All the best filmmakers are gay. That’s been a fact for the past few years, even though critics polls saying otherwise are, predictably, unreliable.
>out.com/armond-white/2017/4/17/all-best-filmmakers-are-gay

I don't get it. Why would a straight American conservative say something like this?

He's openly gay?

>the current state of Sup Forums

pain and gain is one of the most pertinent satires of modern american life of the past 20 years and man of steel has elevated super hero flicks to true art in ways nolan could only dream of.

you are a plebian. I'm not "memeing" when I say that.

Literally the king. Based Almond. We need him now more than ever, with the reddit menace as virile and frequent as ever.

Look at OP. That is not the face of a gay man. Read his takedown of liberal propaganda films. No gay man would write anything like that. I think the Armond White who wrote that article was another man by the same name.

>proud pleb, the post

The Last True Film Critic

i just wish i could write as well as him, even if it is contrived and pretentious

BASED Armond, king of Sup Forums

I've never heard of this, apparently I need to look it up

REGARDEZ PIERRE JE ME TOURNÉ EN UN ZUCCHINI

JE SUIS ZUCCHINI CLAUDE!

why is it okay for him to bully a gay man of color

Is it possible to learn how to BTFO plebs and reddit as hard as Almond Based Honorary White does? I mean, I BTFO plebs daily here, but Armond does it with flair and brutality. Just completely based.

Homosexuality has always been apart of western civilization. Only Christcucks are afraid of a little penis on penis action.

>>Davies’ "A Quiet Passion"
More feminist bullshit
>>Duscatel-Martineau’s "Paris 05:59: Theo & Hugo"
gay niggahs get pozzed: the movie
>>Jerome Reybaud’s "4 Days in France"
dunno, main character is probably a gay
>>Alain Guiraudie’s "Staying Vertical"
dunno, main character is probably a gay
>>Claude Barris’ "My Life as a Zucchini"
Animated movie that is actually bretty good, but Coco is unironically better

Armond has shit-tier taste in mobies

kindly take your raggedy ass back to rebbit, captain pleb

has anyone ever made a "my ancestor :)" meme with gay people and the greeks?

It's very good.

You know you're considered a joke in the patrician scene, yeah?

t. soyboy

I doubt it, he's a staunch Christian

Why does he write for a gay magazine then?

That would be a pretty good one

>>complain about social justice conspiracy
IT's not a conspiracy when there's a stated agenda.

ARMOND WHITE IS A MEME

White’s perspective is so out of sync with what I call reality, I almost think he is purposefully living an Andy Kuafman esque lifestyle. It’s beyond trolling, it’s more like the George Costanza style of “It’s not a lie, if you believe it.”

>being so retarded he can't understand that words have different meanings over time
nobody likes a brainlet trying to look smart

what you dont think all most every critic praised wonder woman for political reasons?

Who dares speak such truths?

The only way he's wrong is that he says until 2017.

Critics used to promote these kind of movies which he suggests, none of which anyone in the mainstream audience heard off. Now they give 10/10 ratings to capeshit and Star Wars, despite they're braindead popcorn flicks.

>literally

Bump

holy shit roasties btfo