Good evening owls,

let's read a bit

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/illusClaire/status/867408016047562753
twitter.com/AnonBabble

also this is relevant to our past reading interests

Tell me what I should read because I didn't read anything today

other than that Atlantic article about Marvel lol

Deathstroke was entertaining and I checked in on Suicide Squad (which I haven't been reading) and wow, is it shit. Don't read that.

Deadly Class brought another character from the dead. Remender is either getting soft or setting up the biggest gut punch ever.

Deathstroke was pretty good although I haven't been keeping up with the crossover

Wally fans are pretty mad about it though

Hal n Pals was meh and I'd probably feel worse about the ending if Venditti ever did anything emotionally satisfying or impactful

this is as amazing as it should be

Venom had Tradd Moore on art...and shit writing.

;___;

also even generally sympathetic woke twitter was not down with the BookRiot article about the Nightwing mini being designed to ruin the character

>other than that Atlantic article about Marvel lol

Was there anything juicy in that? Seems like Marvel's failures are generally obvious

Hello, Storyteller.

Cutie Honey is shallow bullshit, and for the one or two of you who know why I'm bringing this up, I apologize for being an asshole about it.

Huh. Niceiza Legion. Honestly having a hard time picturing that.

not at all

He's talking about New 52 Legion Lost which was clearly fucked over with a rake by editorial/taken over by Tom DeFalco/ended badly

Did you miss the start of Legion Lost when he was on it or are you memeing about how he didn't get much control on it?

i skimmed it. i wholeheartedly support getting fucking consistent creative teams.

also i haven't read any comics yet...

The thing with Marvel is that people clearly want to tie the downturn to some content feature, like Nick Spencer making them mad with SE, and it's barely related to content and you can't blame it on any one thing

>I imagine people on twitter will be furious.

Firestorm has some gear in Injustice that makes him look like Wildfire and it angers me

i don't wanna play Firestorm

also they can't/won't say stuff like Civil War 2 is bad and unfocused and pushing away readers

okay that made me lol

i'm glad now he knows what social media is

IMO the relaunches and event fatigue have reached a critical point, combined with but not dependent on too many switches in the mainline all at once and no book that's setting the world on fire and getting above average buzz.

The article is literally just a summary of the well-publicized problems Marvel has had recently, spurring another round of the usual comments on twitter etc. I'm not sure what prompted it beyond the writer maybe just making sure he had it all together before putting it to The Atlantic.

It's also over a bit of a shaky timeframe in that it talks about the direct market since the 90s, then specific books from 2013 - now, then social media controversies which are very recent in comparison. It doesn't really tie it into a "and consequently the problems have become unbearable" either but I guess fundamentally it's a reaction piece to an interview everyone has already seen and reacted to.

I don't really disagree with its conclusions all the same.

Man, it's Angel in X-Factor all over again. But with more murder.

I completely forgot Niceiza wrote it. Legion Lost was such a nothing comic that I don't remember much about it. I remember Dawny and Gates were in it, then that shit where Harvest was Monarch, and that's about it.

Certainly nothing since Vision, which we all know was the inferior Tom King product of the time anyway.

Nick Spencer will never not get his digs in.

I mean, I rolled my eyes at the inevitable "Why not do Stucky?" bit

OH, now for the lulz, someone linked me to the TVTropes page for Bucky, which is concentrated fanwank at its most risible

> "Why not do Stucky?" bit

how are they so blind to best boy

MCU Pleberei 100%

oh man

Deathstroke was good despite being part of a crossover.

In fact, it proves that Priest should've written the whole damn thing.

It was, but it received the most critical acclaim and will help convince King to return to Marvel when his exclusive is up.

It got more mileage though. It's like the article itself is a rebranded #1 :^)

I saw some of the reactions to it anyway. This tweet in particular transported me instantly back to high school:

twitter.com/illusClaire/status/867408016047562753

I admit I'm coming around to the why not do it side. It's a specifically identified book from that fandom, it'll likely bomb like everything else but at least then you can point to it.

Thunderbolts w/ Bucky doesn't sell but I doubt boyfriend Bucky would or could bomb harder than Foolkiller, Solo and whatnot.

Oh, her

It also got derailed into furious wanking about how KSD shouldn't have had to pay to promote her own book, with Steve Lieber weighing in that, well, she got a lot of exposure out of it and that's also why people do Big Two

I haven't read the article, but that's an interesting angle to take. It's not as if they told her to do it and pay for it on her own like teachers having to buy shit for their students. She chose to do it.

yeah like everyone talks about having to do that constant hustle for your books.

and it backfires on Big 2 bc the writers/artists eventually leave for greener pastures

There's someone downthread in that one talking about how Carol's reputation was destroyed by Civil War II as well, lol.

And yeah you can compare to like Leth/Quinones taking their Burton Batman idea to DC. People pitch that kinda thing regularly.

Speaking of gay shipping, there was a Storm Hawks thread earlier today, and now I can't stop wondering why erotic subtext between enemies is such a common thing.

fine line between love and hate, etc

Being a supervillain requires a level of obsession and devotion that gets weird if it goes too far.

also, I figured the thing with the redesign is that she did the proper thing and paid for it as part of a pitch, and then they liked and bought it

Oh my god this is so fucked up.

It would probably sell pretty well on controversy if nothing else

Also I can't feel that sorry because KSD built the CUlt of KSD out of CM and I find it creepily devoted, so hey, it worked for her

KSD
more like fuckin uhhhhhh
STD

Isn't LSD loser?

The life imitating "art" here is p. good.

LSD isn't really an insult tee bee aych

oops

also the lesson for tonight is "don't assault reporters while the audio is running"

The lesson for tonight is OP IS A FUCKING FAGGOT

i love you, sugartits

>black and white or color?

Holy shit, Skate Man?!

given the Allreds this is sickly funny, NGL

Amazing.

Skate Man had roller skates. This is more Night Thrasher.

>I think what people keep forgetting when they whine about this "new" direction is that the old direction was failing horribly; how else do they explain the attempts to revitalize the direction almost every year in the past?

Also lol @ waifufag Alex Barrett in the letter below that.

>I'd certainly exercise my franchise in his direction
Is this a euphemism for something?

that sounds familiar, don't it

It is a penis metaphor

>Bucky is the best. He is the best of all. He is, by far, the most interesting character yet. He is dead - not all the time. He is my favorite member of the Marvel Universe. He is a fine, sexy man.

dick joke

The sad thing is that this kind of relationship is almost never allowed to actually go anywhere beyond jokes and maybe some drama.

For once I'd like to see the hero and villain just flat out start dating.

I'm sure there's some gay superhero webcomic where this happens. I think /lbgt/ make fun of it.

Batman and Catwoman?

So I don't think if they got a re-do that they'd kill Edie. Or maybe they still would. Her shadow hangs so very long.

Heyho.

Phat is getting a bit gooey, ain't he.

>For once I'd like to see the hero and villain just flat out start dating.

this board is gonna explode because of King shipping Bat/Cat

Young Protectors? The villain looks like Deathstroke

So what you're saying is, why doesn't Batman just date the Joker?

Yeah, issues like this one show that Milligan fell in love with the character, but a bit too late.

The only thing I've read today is the first half of Guardians, because Duggan.

So the weirdest thing about that Bad Take on Dick was the assertion that it's a deliberate attempt to ruin the character, who Higgins clearly adores

That looks like it yeah, I don't read it. I'm not gonna talk about which gay webcomics I read.

That is pretty weird, what motive would a company have to deliberately "ruin" a popular character?

also if they wanted to actually ruin him it would probably take a lot more than an elseworld where he's not even the villain

just for the love of god don't read Teahouse, ever

(it kept popping up as a meme)

You sure you don't have any recs?

It's definitely hard to filter out the way the story goes after she's been killed off. It feels like it would be a totally different (or maybe just less effective) story if that didn't happen. I suppose you could kill off someone else and have Sensitive mope about that but I dunno if it would be as effective.

Maybe the thing to do would be to have her choose to leave the team? Then she could literally be acting her own role here.

sadly realistic :(

the author has also written some, and I do not use this word casually, hysterical stuff about HydraCap and its impact

But it's hilarious.

Why are those edits always funny

>i don't wanna play Firestorm

Ah, why not, enough dudes have been Firestorm that you ought to be able to like at least on of them.

OP, any chance on ever running Firestorm for more Ostrander 80s politcal zeitgeist?

we read most of it way back when, didn't we

We actually have read Ostrander Firestorm. And nu52 Firestorm, for that matter.

Is Milligan self-inserting as a writer again? He did this in Shade too.

I read trash, user. I read the fucking rink twink comic and Starfighter. You don't want these recs.

It's a bit eerie how similar this is to Lyrissa's death. Not even that they're both blue and best girl, but in how much their demises changed everything, and how their respective series would be waaay different had they survived.

Death in comics is usually a really bad idea, but in these cases, it actually managed to matter worth a shit.

I want to ask Simone "what was N52 Firestorm supposed to be about"

actually, she's spammy and open on twitter, it'd be doable and I bet she'd answer

>I'm not sure what prompted it beyond the writer maybe just making sure he had it all together before putting it to The Atlantic.

Maybe Atlantic Alumnus Coates ending his Black Panther spinoff?

I thought those blank bubbles were to show the guy was screaming but couldn't be heard but I don't know what they are now. Can someone explain it to me?

Yeah, you know, if you're going to do it, make it COUNT, and make it about the character in some way.

huh, not quite sure

It feels really weird to read this series where Milligan is pretty fucking lit and just savagely brings the lens in close and then shows you the acceptable face of it, or vice versa, like here and compare it with Milligan now. I've read some issues of Britannia and his most recent 2000AD thing and I don't think they're bad but there's no comparison at all.