Now that the series has ended, what are your final thoughts on Samurai Jack?

One last strawpoll too

strawpoll.me/13036957

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=u5ZJrPVEkkA&ab_channel=Sym-BionicTitanWiki
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Anyone have the complete reaction guys pic for all the episodes? I missed the last 3

>watch the series
>knowing Jack will literally undo everything that is Aku
>still get mad

Did you guys NOT see it coming?

First three were really good and pretty much met my expectations. It declined steadily aftweards.

Ashi truely was a mistake.

It should have ended with the guardian, scotsman, and jack teaming up to finish off aku. With aku splitting up and mindfucking jack with Jack fighting his most dangerous enemies.

Demongo would come back and summon the GREATEST WARRIORS to fight the guardian.

Scaramouche would scat his way to the dance floor and try to out music the scotsman's bagpipes while the scotsman roasts scaramouche calling him a "Pansy, metal, highheel wearing cream puff" or a faggot. That works too.

>advertise jack as being gritty and badass
>ends up being a hippy faggot after the first episode

Those first 3 eps were amazing. But I can understand Genndy couldnt just keep the series grimdark forever. I wish he could have done it without Ashi. I felt from beginning to end she was just waifubait or a debt paid to Tara Strong so she could be immortalized in cartoon history

Also if I have to make a comment myself, Im surprised it wasnt one of Ashi's sisters who came back instead of the mom. Jack literally just punched one. How did she die?

seconding this.

If I see one more fucking thing about the Guardian

Isnt it obvious they're making a movie?

>Tara Strong

I think alot of my issues with Ashi comes from Tara voicing her. It just seems ill fitting. She's suppose to be this deluded, asian assassin chick, but sounds like a 15 year old caucasian girl. She just lacks range as a voice actress, even sounded too much like Timmy during her autistic screeching phase.

Ashi needed to be voiced by an asian or not have a voice at all since her only objective in life was to kill Jack.

Also I had this constant feeling throughout the whole season the only reason Ashi was so prominent in the first place was Genndy had a hard-on for Tara. I would expect it out of McCracken but not Genndy

From when I was a child to now, all I can say is.
Wow.
I'm glad I watched it.

I loved and hated the ending in equal measure, and that's something spectacular which you rarely see in any movie or show.

Well done Genndy, you simultaneously kicked me in the balls and warned my heart.

I liked it.

It gave me closure

Thank you

I don't give two shits about the future characters that no longer exist; I expected that to happen if Jack ever got back to the past.

What I'm unhappy with is how rushed the last half of the show was and how poorly Ashi's character was handled.

The way the episode was handled was piss poor. It should have been a 44 minute episode with a final Aku battle. We don't even know what happens to past Jack that was sent to the future right before past Aku was killed. Ashi should've disappeared RIGHT AFTER Aku's death, we didn't need that wedding scene. Of course Jack getting back was the whole point of the show and that's really the only thing that was done right with the finale.

While I'm disappointed the entire season wasn't Jack on the road, fighting henchmen with tools he scavenged, I don't hate what we got.

Scotsman maybe, but Guardian is a non-character. He was only meant to test Jack.

>The time it took for the wedding scene to build up for Ashi just to die, was much longer than the final fight between Jack and Aku

BRAVO GENNDY

I felt nothing watching Ashi disappear
but the first three episodes were so kino that I have no problem with the rest of the season being mediocre

I don't hate that they erased Ashi from existence, I just wish they could have done it in a way that makes sense if you think about it for more than 5 seconds

The only thoughts I can express regarding the season is that it sparked an interest in watching further Samurai Jack content because the ending didn't manage to leave me with a sense of satisfaction or closure, but rather hollowness and questions that this board has only exacerbated with all the fucking threads regarding the ending.

Also, I can't even remember the last time I watched a series, be it cartoon or TV or anime, that has left me feeling at peace, fulfilled or otherwise happy, and for a moment I allowed myself to believe that Jack-o could actually marry his wife-o.

Daily reminder there are two Jacks now

One in a past without Aku
And one in a future without Aku

AlternateFuture!Jack spinoff when

Am I the only one who didn't like Aku in this new season. His comedy seemed forced and out of character. I mean i know he joked around before but it felt like a conscious effort on the part of the writers to have him make a joke every chance they got.

funspinn: the future is worse off without Aku and Jack has to find a way back to the past to stop himself from killing him.

I wouldn't say I HATED the ending, but the last episode was kind of throw-away. But, then again, so was the beginning. There's a reason why Samurai Jack has always been about the journey: because it's the interesting part. The ending was kind of pre-written and adding Ashi was all they could do to make it not just a mirror image of the intro.

Other than not being voiced by Mako, which you can't blame them for since they would have gotten him had he not died 11 years ago, I thought he was pretty okay

A little worn out, sure, but it is seen that Aku has been affected by the 50 year thing too so it could be his character is tired in that sense

First 3 episodes were great, but then the series just gradually fell off into fan service pandering starting at ep 4.

I really liked how the last message was to move on after the death of a loved one and to be hopeful of the future. Too many times TV shows depict sacrifice and loss as a vendetta or some stupid "chase".

If the re-dubbing of the very first fight was an indication of anything, it was Greg couldn't do serious.

That's why Aku is all comedy and no serious or action.

Punched hard enough to break her neck from what I recall.

Seasons 1-4 are one of my favorite shows of all time. I love the show a lot, and to this day hold that there are few Western cartoons as good. Aku is still one of the best villains in fiction.

Season 5 started extremely strong, but lost control fast. I found the ending disappointing on multiple fronts, but it honestly could've been worse. It honestly felt like a bad fanfiction once the episode where Jack kisses Ashi kicks in.

He also just threw one over the edge though, and ashi was able to survive that fall so why not her?

Why are they sleeping in episode C? That was a good episode. They should be sleeping during IC.

We can assume she got impaled on a tree or something.

The first 3 episodes were so good because they kept the focus on Jack. You could feel his struggle, which is why the show was so good in the first place. It didn't need to be grimdark, but the tone definitely did help.

Season 5 lost itself once Genndy put the story's weight on Ashi. She just wasn't interesting or developed enough to warrant the amount of attention she was given. Killing her at the end felt useless because she didn't have enough of a character for me to care about.

I don't think it's that Greg can't do serious, I think he's just getting old and a bit rusty.

Iroh Book TLA book 3: slight difference between him and Mako. You miss the richer quality of Mako's voice but Greg is a great replacement.

Korra Book 2 and 3: 6 years later and age has weathered his voice. His voice isn't as tender as Mako's anymore.

Samurai Jack Season 5: Aku is much quieter in this season than he was in other seasons. Probably because yelling or exclaiming would stretch Greg's voice to the limits. It's now also noticeably deeper than Mako's voice. But you get used to it after a few episodes and he's maybe two notches at most below Mako's voice. Still probably the best person to recast Mako.

sounds like a copout. i fully expected the sister to come back in the end and help jack get ashi back or something. she was wasted potential, we could've had ashi v sis while jack and aku battled it out then finish with a ashi sparing her sister so she can save jack only to be backstabbed and receive basically the same ending

>sounds like a copout
In season 5? I never!

Absolutely agreed. The beauty of Aku was always that one minute he could be funny, but the next minute he was pure unadulterated evil. EXTRA THICC would be balanced out with the graveyard fight, or Aku's imprisonment of the alien prince and princess. It's what allowed Aku to be terrifying to the audience, yet still toss in some humor here and there.

The new season made Aku seem nonthreatening, and even scenes like him wiping out an army didn't have any weight to them. They just felt there without any flare or sense of dread.

>sounds like a copout.

Sounds more like another faggot getting mad his headcanon didn't happen.

I got a more somber vibe then sleeping. considering one is wearing old jacks clothes

>people liked the entire series AND the ending

damn.. i never knew how many 12 year olds there were on this board..

The ending was alright, but I was really hoping for one of those Jack vs. Aku fights where Aku shapeshifts into a bunch of random animals and Jack uses all of the skills at his disposal to best him and then he'd kill him in the future as well as the past.

anything sounds better than the shit ending we got desu

Depressing

Episodes 4-10 were more faithful to the original episodes.

You're clearly a newfag that got reeled in by the edge bait.

What fight was there to have?

Against the weakened past Aku?

Or the future Aku that was too strong?

Just finished the last episode. Boy that ending was unsatisfying as fuck. Wish we saw him interacting with his parents in the one timeline and some interactions with the still living characters in the alternate one.

Overall I thought the whole season was alright. Worth watching and glad it came back but won't miss it too hard now that its done.

Damn user, what a contradictive statement

If only I was as smart and cool as you :(

the original series was never that good to begin with.

Just watched final season this afternoon, flew by in the blink of an eye, usually when I marathon stuff it feels like a lot longer.

Impressed they went with the sad middle finger to the sky truly japanese ending, I mean logically it makes sense, but still...

not using one of the sister's that clearly wasn't killed is a headcanon now?
that's just a huge fucking plothole and waste of a character you flaming faggot

>be an author
>start a series about a noble samurai wandering a dystopian future
>him being thrown into the future by his archnemesis as a premise
>after first few episodes everyone not suffering from mental illness understands that this show is about letting go of your past mistakes and making the best out of what lies ahead of you
>devote entire episodes and plot arcs to showing how the protagonist understands that helping the present takes precedence over striving to fix the unfixable
>in the final season give him a waifu, the last piece of puzzle needed for him to let go
>we are running out of screen time and need an ending
>you're a good writer, so you've written yourself into a corner where there's barely half an hour left and you have no chance of coming up with anything even remotely satisfying
>you could probably still at least try to offer the fans some closure, but muh edgy artistic nature
>waifu will be a prop used to send the protagonist to the past without him getting a say in this and to elicit some cheap feels
>this is established in the penultimate episode, with a 20 second scene of the protagonist explaining his mouthbreathing gf how his old house had a cool balcony
>imconvinced.jpg
>pretty much everything and everyone else is waved away and invalidated without a thought
>glue the ending scene from shit-tier "symbolism" and some Gladiator music
>last few point happen in like 4 minutes of footage
>the end
mfw when people defend this bs with inanity like "b...but it was in the intro...he said so a few times...he saved millions from suffering"

>that clearly wasn't killed is a headcanon now?

Yes, since she never showed up again then that means she died in the fall. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not true.

It really fell to shit after the first 3

still doesn't explain why she wasn't used or brought in as a ringer in the end like the spartans or the fish guys or jump good

I feel like he didn't get enough serious moments. He had some (like when he got pissed and killed most of Jack's friends), but for the most part it was just him being either depressed or goofy. Hell, even his DEATH was goofy. His last words were "Wha-you're back already?!" and "Whoa, wait!", and then Jack tore him to shreds. It used to be that there was a balance between Aku being a goofball and Aku being a terrifying incarnation of evil, but this season didn't really capture that.

And the sad thing is, there were plenty of opportunities for it. When Aku tore apart the rebel army, when he found out Jack had lost his sword (though this only works if he finds out BEFORE Jack gets his sword back, otherwise it loses any impact once he finds out). And then there was him taking control of Ashi or the fight with Jack's allies or the confrontation with Jack and Ashi, the point is there were a lot of missed opportunities

As much as I hated the ending, what Aku did to Ashi in episode 9 was really nightmarish.

>I would expect it out of McCracken but not Genndy
>not Genndy
>the man who had a girl preform what was basically a lewd pole dance to a robot

She wasn't used or brought in because she was intended to have died in the fight. You don't need every little thing spelled out for you.

>Episodes 4-10 were more faithful to the original episodes.
No, they really weren't. If it wanted to truly be "faithful" to the series, then it would have been more episodic and Ashi wouldn't have been a main character. The show doesn't lose its identity just because it's a little more violent.

But please, continue to be a retard.

it would certainly help what with my autism and all

>episodes 4-10
I'll give you 4-8 and a half

>girl preform what was basically a lewd pole dance to a robot
Ww-what?

youtube.com/watch?v=u5ZJrPVEkkA&ab_channel=Sym-BionicTitanWiki
enjoy

That reaction at the end
>BEGONE THOT

Thank you for so concisely explaining my issues with the ending.

anyone got a mega with all 10 episodes in 1080?

>, what are your final thoughts on Samurai Jack?
I barely remember the original run, but S5 just further reinforced my belief that CN can't write endings.

It was great. Not perfect, but great.
Jack's character was taken in a very interesting direction, and despite the general complains, Ashi was a pretty cool character. I liked her relationship with Jack.
The action sequences were pretty great and the background art was wonderful as we'd come to expect.
Perhaps it could have benefited of longer episodes or simply more episodes, but for what we got I am satisfied. I've watched every episode at least three times and even the finale got better with each viewing.
The ending itself was for me pretty satisfying as well; it could have been executed better, but it was still a good conclusion to Samurai Jack.

All in all, I'm very glad I saw it and it is one of my favorite pieces of animation, despite its obvious flaws.

I liked Aku. He was more comedic here due to his depression and inability to do anything, but the moment he had control over Ashi he went back into being a sadistic son of a bitch.

Completely agree with this, but you didn't mention that several of the episodes in the middle of the season were rather lackluster overall, despite having good moments. That's my only real complaint about the season.

>after first few episodes everyone not suffering from mental illness understands that this show is about letting go of your past mistakes and making the best out of what lies ahead of you
Fuck you man, that's depressing as fuck really.

I liked the mid season, though. The only moment when I felt kind of cheated was when Jack regained his sword. Genndy tried to make it a monumental moment, and story wise it was, but it went by too quickly for me to really get to savor it. Aside from that, I liked the rest. Jack and Ashi inside the monster was full of imaginative environments and it was obviously the episode they had decided to focus most on background art.
Jack showing Ashi why Aku was such a bastard was okay. Not great, not terrible, just okay. Ashi traveling the world meeting all those people Jack saved and stopping Jack from committing suicide was also great. The fight sequence between Ashi and the Orcs... as cool as fighting a whole army was, I wish they had cut that fight out and had focused on Ashi fighting his mother. That conflict would have been more interesting and personal.

Are you me by any chance? Because I completely agree with this, too. (Even liking the mid-season despite some of the lackluster episodes.)

Maybe. Either we have less standards than your average Sup Forums user, or we're not as GENNDY HACK YOU'RE A HACK autistic as them.

>The fight sequence between Ashi and the Orcs
It's funny how I absolutely HATED that at the time, but it made so much sense after the reveal about Ashi's heritage. Of COURSE she'd be way stronger than a normal human.

Genndy did say that he intended the series to be watch as one very long movie. Maybe there are issues we complained and are still complaining about just because of the weekly stops we had to make in between episodes. I know I'm gonna stick by to watch the season 5 marathon to consolidate my opinion on the season as a whole. Maybe I'll like it more, maybe I'll like it less or maybe my opinion won't change at all. Anyway, I'm still gonna have fun with it.

>no moderate option
Shit poll

Silly user, Sup Forums dictates that every piece of entertainment must either be 10/10 PERFECT FLAWLESS or 0/0 SHIT ABORTED GARBAGE.

That scene made me wish she would turn out to be a real daughter of Aku just to justify that nonsense

You know, by my experience, when a piece of fiction is really good, it is quickly classified as such and never brought up again unless you intend to reference it as an example of quality comparing it to something inferior. When something is really bad it's just left to rot with people occasionally shitting on it but not giving it much attention.
Only controversial art, which divides fans on its quality, actually prevails and is discussed over and over again.
Genndy said he didn't want his season to be forgotten; he wanted people to either loathe it or adore it, just not forsake it.
So, in the end, he has won.

>when a piece of fiction is really good, it is quickly classified as such and never brought up again unless you intend to reference it as an example of quality comparing it to something inferior. When something is really bad it's just left to rot with people occasionally shitting on it but not giving it much attention.

The problem is, it is simply bad. It had potential but people will forget and move on. Even a saccharine ending would be better for closure, people would meh at it but move on faster, now it will be a shitshow.

But it is not. It was great enough to divide the fanbase. You can find plenty of Youtube videos claiming that the season was great and the ending fitted, and just as many videos shitting on it.
You're kind of proving my point here, because you say that the season was bad while I think that is was great despite its flaws. Depending on which thread you wander into, it's easy to tell when which side the majority of posters they support in a few seconds.

>Jack and Ashi inside the monster was full of imaginative environments and it was obviously the episode they had decided to focus most on background art.
I can agree with this, but you gotta admit the episode just didn't have enough happening in general. It was quite boring. Otherwise a pretty decent ep though.

I liked it. I thought it was a necessary cooldown period from the intense action of the previous three, showed Jack progressing through his depression and also gave Ashi much needed characterization. Too bead she abandons it so quickly to become a moeblob cocksleeve

What I mean is that they could have included a scene from somewhere else, like the Aku scene in episode 2 or the Scotsman scene in episode 5. Not doing that really drags the episode down.

>It was great enough to divide the fanbase
You mean the bunch of monkeys that breathe in everything that is being pushed as opposed to using their own minds to for mobjective opinions?

I like the show very much and I thought that majority of it was decent. but the ending is garbage, there is no running away from it and the "plenty" you appeal to is in vast majority also rather lukewarm about the ending. No one is satisfied by it.

I like I said, I think the cooldown period was necessary. Not much going on was a good thing. I imagine the reprieve would be more noticeable when watched all together

I was able to take in the atmosphere quite nicely. The comedic dialogue between Jack and Ashi was pretty on point for me personally as well. The backgrounds also kept me quite interested. On a side note, I showed my 50 year old father the season. He barely knew anything of Samurai Jack and after all the action he witnessed in the first three episodes I was a little afraid that he would find the fourth episode boring or too slow, but much to my surprise he had a lot of fun and enjoyed the environments and the creatures a lot. I know it's just personal experience, but I think the episode didn't drag on and was captivating enough to keep the audience interested.

I was satisfied by it, and I've met people who were. Some guy said that the finale felt smaller than it should, but that he approved the ending the series got. The ending is just one more divisive point. You can find all sorts of opinions around it.

>literally retconned
Great writing right there.

Don't forget in episode 36 he refused to use a time portal to save the 2 monks which in the end didn't make any sense whatsoever.

Jack was young and idealistic back then; he didn't quite grasp the concept of time travel. Hell, I wonder if he even understood what he'd be doing if he went back in time; after all, he was born in a pretty remote era.

>refused to use a time portal to save the 2 monks
Jack follows a strict code. Part of why he's pure and good means sticking that. And when a life is in danger in front of him, he has to save it. No matter what.
It's why avoiding the burning city in the new season was such a shocking moment to me. It showed how much he had REALLY changed.

I want to know how you guys that liked the ending felt about Man of Steel or Mass Effect 3.