Anime references

how do you feel about anime references in cartoons? Have any of your favorite anime gotten a reference?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=n_OC-RAm7Qs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Have any of your favorite anime gotten a reference?
Unfortunately, yes.

every cartoon motorcycle does this eventually

Does it count when the reference exists as part of a permanent character design?

>how do you feel about anime references in cartoons
Fairly indifferent.

I'm pretty sure your pic is actually referencing Power Rangers/Super Sentai rather than Sailor Moon.

alright, which is better: neon genesis Evangelion or Gurren Langan? I avoided the mecha genre for the most part. when I finish yu yu Hakusho I might choose one of them to watch (my girlfriend only saw Gurren Langan and apparently liked it

I feel the same as I do any other reference usually. It depends on how it's done, if it's supposed to be funny, does it come off as out of place or obnoxious, etc. Not to mention, that sometimes, if you reference a lot of other things, will it come off as annoying or not.

I can't vouch for Gurren Lagan, but I've started watching Eva recently, and it's been thoroughly enjoyable. The animation's quite nice.

Eva is good if you like a serious story with some mindfuck. Gurren is good if batshit insane is your thing.

you know....you might be right...

Watch them both. They are good for different things

It gets obnoxious fast when it seems like they have no ideas of their own, ala

Bob:
So, what's the plan, Phong?
Phong:
You must get your vehicles up to speed and, using the signal I gave you, join them together to form a giant robot that will battle Nullzilla! Insects in disguise
Bob:
You're kidding, right? These form a what?
Phong:
A giant robot.
[The five vehicles try ro align in the air in various ways. None produces a giant robot.]
Bob:
Phong, this is ridiculous! We're never gonna get a robot outta these! They don't even fit together!

Gurren is fun and Evangelion is pretentious garbage.

Yeah it's nice when you see a show reference some other thing but you got to draw the line somewhere. You can do pop culture references without making them seem forced or even noticeable at all whatsoever I mean some of these cartoons nowadays go for direct references even if it doesn't actually fit, which cheapens the act of even referencing the material in the first place.

At some point they stop being references and become a scene composition that's part of everyone's visual language.

How is that possible a fucking reference you prole

Here's a good example of what I'm talking about. Spongebob is trying to pay for Gary's new shell by giving up body parts, and these body parts just so happen to line up with the ones sacrificed by three characters in Full Metal Alchemist. The context, setting, and weigtht of the scene that is used in Spongebob is completely different from that of FMA. It's also a reference to events that happen in FMA rather than a scene in it, and the circumstances and consequences of what Spongebob is doing is more than enough to separate what is happening in the two series. In this way, it's far away enough from the reference that the majority of people who know of both series wouldn't have been able to make the connection at first glance.

They're fine if the person behind them doesn't flaunt them like a tryhard idiot. Same problem I have with writers shoehorning a reference multiple times in an episode. We get it, you found out something cool. So did the other tens of thousands of people who know about it.

kek

Yup.

webm version

holy fucking kek

now that I think about it, what would you say is the go to slightly non mainstream anime for people to reference?

it even has a meme about it

steven universe has a large amount of utena references

I should've saw it comin. Jojo is great tho

Not just motorcycles, user.

This was specifically Ian JQ's doing.

Eva is entertaining but can be 3DEEP5U. Gurren Lagann is like an fun as fuck and doesn't take itself so seriously. They are both made by the same animation studio, so look out for Eva references in Gurren Laggan.

>steven universe has a large amount of utena references
Big surprise.

Durarara reference

don't forget the cowboy bebop reference either

They are literally the same show with the same characters.
The only difference is that one is morbid and depressing, the other is hype as fuck adrenaline ride.

Do you like things to be stupid and pretentious, or stupid and fun?

>"look a reference"
>its barely even a reference

you might as well call that prisoner costume a Prison School reference while you`re at it.

Or It's just taking a saying Into a more literal sense, and you are making connections where there are actually none.

It's pretty obviously a reference consider that other character costumes that pop-up like mentioned.

That's not a reference at all.

It's just made the old expression "costing an arm and a leg" literal for comedy's sake. He also took his clothes, another idiom "taking the shirt off his back."

This post is stupid and pretentious.

That's just fucking scene composition. I doubt Akira was the first motorcycle skid to a stop.

God damn you're retarded.

The reference to Cowboy Bebop was mainly a nod at the fact Techmo and Spike are both voiced by Steve Blum. Plus the fact that it was a pretty obvious reference to begin with.
For that biker chick costume, aside from the yellow helmet, nothing else matches the reference to Celty. And even the helmet is completely different from the one Celty has. If it really was gonna be a reference, at least put the cat ears on the helmet or something.

I know people love to find new reasons to bitch about SU, but this one is by far the stupidest I've heard. I've seen people claim was too much while defending Regualr Show doing Evangelion's opening because wasting more time on a reference is somehow better than flashing it quickly as something you'd only catch if you watched the shit. Speaking of...

youtube.com/watch?v=n_OC-RAm7Qs

It's just fucking stupid but Sup Forums is home to "it's okay when ___ does it."