So is this show any good...

So is this show any good? I've always avoided it because I assumed it was just a show that just namedrops random science mumbo jumbo and spouts memes and appeals to people who think just those aspects make a show brilliant.

But is it actually good? Like as an honest opinion, not just hating on it to be contrarian or because it's popular.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lXtIYRWDiuI
youtube.com/watch?v=WNtmITE5GpU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How about you try watching it instead of forming baseless opinions or asking for others' opinions?

This is a bait.

It does shamelessly throw around bullshit sci-fi for laughs, but most of the concepts that it presents are actual consequences of some pretty advanced modern scientific theories (presented theatrically over realistically, naturally).

The humor is really solidly presented and they use properly built up and paced out concepts introduced in the show to subvert the typical "man vs" themes, so it's structurally interesting too.

It's also a really decent primer for the philosophical problems that a Multiverse creates. It spends a lot of time hanging around that concept, explaining it properly and exploring it in detail. If that's not your thing, it's not obtrusive nor will it ruin your enjoyment of the show, but if that's something you've already sunk 100 or more hours into, it's not going to teach you anything new.

Overall it's a pretty well-crafted, well polished show. Probably one of the better ones in the last few years.

So are you asking if it conforms to the precise, objective, well-defined parameters that define "good".

Yes

Fun show, reddit just takes any jokes it makes and constantly repeats it.

> bullshit sci-fi

As opposed to what kind of sci-fi, user

A lot of sci-fi actually super accurate to the prevalent theories of the day. Snow Crash predicted a bunch of the technology of the 00s and onward, down to Google (including Google Maps and a bunch of the other services they offer) and mobile, wireless, Internet capable computers being rampant. That's not bad at all for something published in 1992.

But there also the bullshit, laser sword, magic with an explanation scifi. A lot of the time that's written because the writer just doesn't have the background for accurate scifi, but it's pretty clear in Rick and Morty that they're just doing it for comedic effect.

Watch the damn show & stop trying to fit in Sup Forums's hivemind

youtube.com/watch?v=lXtIYRWDiuI

What you are doing, is straight up criminal.
So just try and be original.
Be your own you! Be your own you! Don't do what Sup Forums does. Just be your own you.
It's much more fun to be yourself than copy everybody else!
Be your own you!
Be your own you!
Try something new.
Find your own things to do.
Copying is clearly theft, it's gonna lead to your arrest.
Be your own you! And when you've stopped being such a dirty hack, get in your stupid car, and don't come back!

The internet will tell you it's the best thing to happen to animation since the Simpsons.

The reality is that it's edgy Futurama with less effort.

>DUDE AD-LIBBING LMAO

It's Dr Who for the Adult Swim crowd. Either you get it, or you don't.

I wouldn't compare it to Futurama at all. They're both episodic sci-fi comedy, but that's about it. The themes, comedic style, adherence to internal consistency and basically everything else that separates one piece of fiction in a genre from another are completely different.

There's a scale of Sci-Fi from soft to hard.

Soft is shit like Star Wars. Hard is shit like 2001.

They rip entire plot lines from Futurama.

If you like the Big Bang Theory and being a faggot you will love it.

>Entire plotlines
oh user, please elaborate

When?

Star Wars isn't Sci-Fi at all. If you don't want to call it Fantasy, Space Opera is more specific

Like that one time when they paradoied the same sci-fi plot that was done before Futurama did it because it's the same fucking genre
and the other guy is a fucking retard

It's definitely Space Opera, but I would classify it as both fantasy and sci-fi.

I mean yeah the force is fantasy as fuck, but they still have laser guns/swords and spaceships and all that other soft sci-fi stuff. Lucas cant right sci-fi for shit, so I'm glad that he mostly sticks to the Jedi and Sith magical Samurai stuff. When other writers are in the seat it can make amazingly pulpy soft sci-fi, though.

>Going inside a body (with entire visual references to the mutant underworld)
>Breaking the time structure and having to fix it
>The Titanic episodes
>The Hive Mind episodes
>Raising the young of an alien and having it go wrong
>Intergalactic talent show
>Minor character gets a massive plot twist and turns into a major thematic element
>Alternate universe "what if" episode
>Cats/Dogs take over

There are even major critics who call it a spiritual successor, including Dan himself. It's all the good parts of futurama with all the edgeyness of an Adult Swim show.

space opera is a scifi subgenre

I'll even give you credit here. Rick and Morty isn't original, creative, or different. Rick is a Mary Sue and Morty is literally Marty without being somewhat cool. All the other characters are hollow parodies of standard sitcom tropes with a dark backstory to make it compelling, and all the plots are the same shit we see in every other sci-fi show. The glaring problems is that they expect us to like and care about Rick without giving us any reason to do so, and when the serious card does get played, they rip it away and do something else for fear of getting too heavy and ruining the tone. It doesn't challenge anything, it doesn't break any new ground or set a standard for the genre. It's a basic adult swim animated series that will gain a die hard following after they shit can it when season 3 is done.

>Morty is literally Marty without being somewhat cool
That doesn't make sense.
Marty was the skateboarding, guitar playing, cool guy with a dorky family.
He was so cool, that going back in time made him the inventor of cool trends at the time.
He created rock and roll according to the movie.

He was talking about how it's high concept crude comedy sci-fi, not about the writing or the way anything is presented. Pretty much all of your examples there are nigh universal in episodic sci-fi, too. Except for the alternate universe thing. I mean that's pretty universal too, but it's the entire plot of Rick and Morty, not just a one off.

Rick and Morty ripped off Futurama the same way that Futurama ripped off literally everything that came before it. Genre tropes are a thing for a reason, user.

Marty was a nervous kid who had a lot of cool talents, but was bullied and best friends with the exiled doctor. He had a girlfriend, but he's never alluded to having a solid social life or any slick social skills.

>But is it actually good?
It has its ups and downs. Worth watching if only because normies love it and it'll give you something to talk about together.

He was in a rock band and was dating this QT you can't fool me.

That's so fucking vague. I'm pretty sure Star Trek has done literally all of those things, as well as a number of other sci-fi shows.

>Reddit&Memey and Futurama both have laser guns
>portals are a rip-off from Portal
>the Inception episode is a rip-off of Inception
Fucking hacks

He wasn't in a band, user. He had a guitar and he played it once in 3 movies.

youtube.com/watch?v=WNtmITE5GpU

>trope
nope, stopped reading there, I can't believe people like you exist, like, do you seriously go outside and use meme words like tropes or kino in public? god, you're pathetic

It's genuinely good, but because it's so popular and well-known as a darling of Reddit, it's never going to get a fair shake on Sup Forums. Don't expect to get a reasonable appraisal of it from this board until a few years after it's cancelled.

It feels like it should be on CN, but its more adult than Regular Show was

Marty was a spazz and a loser, man. He hung out with a weird old man suggested to be the town's most shunned citizen and was personally bullied by the school principal. The band just drops out of existence immediately after being introduced, so there's little reason to assume background characters were good friends with him. Especially after he embarrassed their asses. His girlfriend seems to be the only social connection he had besides the Doc. Remember: can't be an underdog if you're already on top.

Not really. It's sci-fi without the actual sci-fi.

what is Clark
what is Planetes

Kino lies awake at night staring at the ceiling while wishing it could be as reviled as trope. It'll be dead as a meme inside of 5 years.

Rick's nigh omnipotent because he's not the protagonist, Morty is. The reason Rick's so powerful and the way that it's shown actually makes sense and is a legitimate concern about the first man to discover interdimensional travel.

The show even uses Morty to explain what Rick's role is: "Everything real turns fake, everything right is wrong. All you know is that you know nothing and he knows everything. And well, he’s not a villain, Summer, but he shouldn’t be your hero. He’s more like a demon, or a super fucked-up god."

Rick is what happens when a human gives up the human irrationalities that everyone shares, like love or a fear of death, because he's been forced to see the truth of none of that mattering in a sea of infinite universes. If his family dies he can just get a new one. He could commit Universal omnicide several times over, then go home and have lunch with the family that he just killed like nothing ever happened.

You're not supposed to empathize with Rick, his motivations aren't supposed to make sense, thus the Szechuan sauce. He's not insane, he's just dealing with an irrefutably absurd reality by taking advantage of the objective fact that he can pursue whatever hedonistic whim he wants, since none of the consequences of his actions actually matter.

We're supposed to empathize with Morty, who is exposed to the fact that everything he cares about is a sham, and responds by simply living his life as best he can. Morty acknowledges the futility of it all, accepts that all these human concepts are meaningless, then goes about his life as normally as possible because it's the only one he has. Even if love is fake and death is a lie, they're real enough to him, and his experience is the only one that matters.

As far as I know, it's the only cartoon that's made absurdism an existentialism its main two themes.

Fuck off OP, i've seen this exact same thread with this exact same image/text started over this past week.

Holy shit an actual well thought out explanation on co.

You know, I agree with everything you say except the negative spin you give it.

>This qt
M8, she looks like the joker in that pic

Sci-fi Sci-fi.

The ultimate form of Sci-Fi.

Sup Forums, if we're going to talk about it as a single monolithic entity even though it's not, tends not to like shows based on its merits but based on its fandom.

On Sup Forums, topics are put into direct competition. A popular show that spawns a lot of threads will annoy the everliving shit out of everyone else really fast because every time someone posts in that thread, some other show or comic's thread gets knocked off the first page. This doesn't necessarily result in an immediate backlash if the thread is full of quality posts that intrigue people to check the show out, but when a show is between seasons and there's nothing new to discuss the fandom has to retread old topics over and over and possibly sink into fanfiction/AU/dumb arguing. When the show you care about just got knocked off the first page to be doomed to the archives because some annoying jackass wanted to post a REE macro about some waifu or what the fuck ever, you're gonna get pissed. And since this is an anonymous board, you can't really get pissed at that one person, so you get pissed at the whole show.

So, we have a show that's very popular, almost oversaturated on Reddit (which Sup Forums dislikes for other reasons) that also is going to be very popular here as well because it's fucking popular show. We only just recently got a new episode, but the gap between seasons has been long enough that nay presence Rick and Morty may have had on this board would have been without much interesting content and, again, knocking someone else's topic off the first page.

It's a really good ongoing series that's popular, and so it's doomed to annoy the everliving shit out of Sup Forums.

Just pondering: is there a way to condense the humor of R&M into 1-3 minute long youtube episodes (perhaps with original characters), or are the big setups essential for this whole thing to work.

Depends. They do shorts that work just fine, but much of the existential dread that brought up only works if you're invested in the characters. It's hard to get a moment like Morty risking his life for a sister from an alternate universe even though he's long since abandoned the sister he knew (and still knows) from his original universe. It's not a joke right now, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Morty's heroism thrown in his face when his whole family dies or is left to die and he and Rick scuttle off to yet another alternate dimension.

Or that tragic backstory is complaining about, that joke only works if you have expectations built up (oh, Rick must have some tragic past that makes him like this). When it's all subverted as just one of Rick's plans, it's funny, it then becomes ridiculous that we believed that the reason Rick is a dick is because of some brought-up-at-the-last-minute dead family.

So yeah, you could totally do a lot of gags in a short format and it'd still largely work, but you wouldn't get everything and you probably wouldn't quite get the dynamic Rick and Morty have going on. It'd still be funny and worth watching and some people may prefer it that way.

stuttering sure is comedy genius

It's show in the adventure-comedy genre starring a cynical super-genius and a naive kid. It employs mixtures absurdist humor, nihalistic humor, and crude humor in its jokes...

If that sounds like it would appeal to you then go check out an episode or two, if it doesn't then don't...

>futurama but edgy
>somehow this equates to being good in young user's mind

It's basically Family Guy in space and has been since episode 1. Anyone telling you otherwise is lying through their teeth.

Turns out that this show was trying to save us from the Samurai Jack ending. If only we listened.

It's alright.

A very hit and miss show, the latter being major parts of Season 2 with hamfisted writing and needless drama that cripples characterization.

By itself it's great for a watch, but between Reddit repeating the worst "jokes" and people on Sup Forums throwing a fit because people from Reddit repeat the worst "jokes" you'll have a hard time discussing it most anywhere.

I'm sure it's a fine show but I really fucking hate the art style. I don't know why so many western cartoons have absolutely hideous art styles.

Show is great, fanbase is mixed, very vocal autists. Most people here that hate the show are equally autistic and contrarian.

If this is family guy then SU is simpsons.

Cause animation budget goes lower and lower every yea.

Why spend money on something when you can shit out another live action ouch my balls garbage and bank the $.

PETAH

MY DOG WHISTLE

i watched the first 4 episodes and it didn't get a single laugh out of me. i found the constant stuttering annoying. what does that say about me?

You are one of those people who eats fine cheese with whine and then bends over and rips on your own face and enjoys the smell.

>not knowing the term "trope" existed before that cancer site

wow this place actually is full of tards isn't it?