Do you agree with this ranking system, Sup Forums?

Do you agree with this ranking system, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9YSd4nAFKR8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The execution is what makes a villain great not some boiled down blurb.

I personally like when the villain isn't actually evil rather ideologically opposed to the protagonist. But a good old fashioned crazy evil villain can be fun too.

ranking based on motivation alone means that entertaining villains like aku or scar or classic maleficient would be placed lower than less colorful villains like the hunter from bambi or ratcliffe

Put a tier above Ozy for Eobard and another above that for Manta and I'll post it every thread.

>Do you agree with this ranking system, Sup Forums?
Come on OP you know the answer. Who would ever say that Breen is a better villain than the Joker?

A villain need two things: Intimidation and build-up

No. It all depends on execution

>Ozy
>hard to find fault in
>the in-comic side stories serve up all the faults with his motives on a silver platter

Exactly. Just looking at this list for instance, we have Hannibal Lecter. His motives are pretty straightforward: He just feels such superiority to everyone else he meets and such disdain for humanity as a whole that he regards everyone he meets as nothing more than a vessel for his enjoyment, whether that be psychological manipulation or the flavour of their flesh. One way or the other it's basically just pride and greed and wrath taken to an extreme. Nothing too fancy or sophisticated, and by the strict criteria of this list, sure he belongs near the bottom.

But in *execution* is he really less-entertaining than Mr. Freeze? He's charismatic, intelligent, whimsical and playful with his vendettas in a way few villains can be.

I feel like this list would make a pretty good X Axis on a chart where the Y Axis represents how entertainingly they carry out their motives.

No Aku is just evil for the sake of it. But he is super fun to watch.

I agree that Joker is shit tier thought.

I like them all except meh tier.
lazy writer's villains. fucking Aku is in this tier.

>lazy writer's villains. fucking Aku is in this tier.

Let me guess, you're going to start whining about plot holes or some bullshit even though plot consistency has never mattered in Genndy shows.

>I DO NOT. FOR POSTING SUCH A PAAATHETIC IMAGE, I BANISH YOU TO THE PIT OF HATE UNTIL YOU LEARN SOME TASTE.

no cartoon, especially an episodic one, should ever take itself seriously, and certainly not try to be more than what it is.

Jack wanted to be mature and dramatic and it ended up being rushed and not making sense.

>hurr nuking millions is ok to postpone the Cold War

So in 5 years when everyone is sick of working with commies against aliens who never show up I guess Viet will just have to psychic nuke another city...no big deal.

Jack regularly took itself seriously in addition to doing comedy and for it was one of CN's most successful and acclaimed originals ever.

Where's the "Is Evil for no other reason than they enjoy it" tier?

>Jack wanted to be mature and dramatic and it ended up being rushed and not making sense.

What? Did you watch the same show as I did? Even the dark episodes of Jack had moments of humor in them.

Mature and funny ae not mutually exclusive concepts. Only 13 year olds and Zack Snyder think you can only achieve emotional maturity via stripping all the lightness from your storytelling.

Dr.Breen a good boy he dindu nuffin.

it was about season 5, bitches. stop crying.

>the archdemon
>the primary antagonist of DA:O

I honestly don't know how to reply to that.

That aside, no, it's a shit chart. Motivations are on an incredible scale, and the simple end is no less common in the driven and malicious than the complex. 'To gain power' is one of the single most common supplementary, or even primary, motivators of people who have historically been viewed as monsters, and wild, incoherent dysfunction isn't far behind.

I'd like Lecter much more if Rising was never a thing. I know that shit was forced on Harris by moneygrubbing Hollywood execs and may as well not be considered canon, but it really sours me on the whole thing

At least Fuller took those elements and made them into something worthwhile in the show.

I don't know, man. Everything about season 3 that isn't Red Dragon arc seemed like the show's lowest point to me.
Well, except maybe this scene.
youtube.com/watch?v=9YSd4nAFKR8

>Everything about season 3 that isn't Red Dragon arc seemed like the show's lowest point to me.

>he didn't like 7 hours of shots of snails and snow in slow motion

I like the first half of S3 but it's definitely an acquired taste.

The examples here kind of fall flat because motivation isn't all. Just compare Breen and the Joker. Even among the videogame community Breen isn't really hailed as such an interesting villain.

No
6>4=5>1>>>>>>>shit>>>>>>>3

Better version

Handsome Jack was amazing. You have shit taste! Wait....was that a bait?

>Ozy kills maybe like 1,000 artists, scientists etc., and roughly a million more in New York, in a scheme that averts what the book refers to as an extremely imminent nuclear war that would've destroyed all human life

>faults

>motives

His motive was clear, to save the world. His faults are that he murders a small fraction of the human population in order to save the rest of it from destroying itself and that he's kind of full of himself. What is your point?

Surely this is bait.

Yeah the Archdemon isn't really a villain, just kinda like the figurehead of the Blight, which is way more abstract.

Not him but it obviously isn't a permanent solution. In under ten years the countries of the world would be back to hating each other again.

This system is pretty good except for Ozy being "Elder God Tier". I would put him as high tier (assuming you consider him the villain).

Under this system, Aku would be mid tier bordering on high tier while Joker would usually be solid mid tier.

Unironically agree, with the tiers. Unfamiliar with most characters, so I don't know if they fit.

>joker
>insane
get out

Where would the likes of Pyramidhead and Alien go?

Lazaravic was decent enough.

The villains in 3 were the real shit-show. Evil Helen Mirren and the glorified re-skin of Harry Flynn were a gigantic missed opportunity.

I think you're underestimating the scale of this thing. Its not like a country or coalition lost a war, recovered, and after a while a new regime tried to start some shit and the cycle begins again, this was (as far as everyone knows) a huge unfathomably horrible monster that came out of nowhere and destroyed half it's victims with it's brain. That's insane and the world's top scientists are going to spend years trying to figure out where the fuck that thing came from while the military makes plans for what to do if it happens again. That thing was way bigger than "Isis is acting up again, let's drop a few bombs on the desert people, see if they calm down."

In Silent Hill 2 at least, Pyramid Head wasn't even a villain. He was a manifestation of Jame's own guilt and self-loathing. James was his own villain.

Breen literally did everything as part of a self-serving scheme which is made clear numerous times throughout the game. He did a lot wrong, and in the end wasn't really bothered about the human population being exterminated. He was worried about being killed himself.

Furthermore, execution, is the basis if something is 'good'.

>Adachi
>Superior point of view

not for DA. at least not according to the recent lore

Ozy wasn't right though.

if you played DA:I, its revealed the blight is kinda just the punishment for excessive lust of power

it fucked up the old gods, then the tevinter magisters

>if you played DA:I
>playing nu-bioware
i pity the fool

This guy gets it. The Villian needs a hero or opposing force just as much as the hero does. Otherwise the point is moot. +1 4changold point.

No
It would work if it clarified it was cataloging and rating their motives other than their actual strength as a villain.

>The execution is what makes a villain great not some boiled down blurb.

This. The xenomorphs in Alien for example are the villains (not counting the big evil corporation), but they are simply following a biological imperative. Yet they are terrifying.

And I quite enjoy villains who are evil for the sake of evil.

All of that is revealed in Origins though

Ozy shouldn't be that high. His argument completely falls apart when you examine it.

>Kai Leng
>Existing
Fuck you for reminding me.

>do evil thing cause the situation they are in

Freeze would get lot more money from patenting things than from stealing. He robs because its more easy

I wouldn't put Darkseid as mid tier. Maybe he's that way in Superman, but in New God's he's pretty entertaining and works fairly well thematically.

Also, that Elder God tier is shit.

How so?

>Eric Sparrow