Was he just full of shit?

Was he just full of shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

ew.com/tv/2017/02/27/samurai-jack-season-5-genndy-tartakovsky-interview/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

more like he's dead.

Never trust a blue person.

Wouldn't that be the portal then? He just listened to it.

>implying Jack doesn't become an aged king after many years and revisit the future through the portal to see how things have changed without Aku

No, it just represents that timelines can be irrevocably changed. The moment when Jack sees that the Guardian has been killed, we're supposed to realize that, based on the actions someone takes, the future can change entirely.

This was all supposed to foreshadow Ashi's disappearance.

Nice fan fic

That's a lot of words for "retcon"

It may be a fanfic, but it's by no means an unlikely one. In fact it's pretty much the only way to avoid a massive retcon.

we already got a retcon

I'm saying there's still a way to avoid it.

Actually, the prophecy only predicted that he'd be worthy one day, it didn't predict that the portal would still be there. The Guardian took it on faith that Aku wouldn't destroy it before king Jack showed up.

>Instead of just clearing things up immediately it only speaks up when Guardian's about to put Jack six feet under, after it's been amused by their pointless hostility
Always considered that thing suspect

>people still trying to rationalize and defend Gennedy's hack writing
Gennedy just didn't give a fuck about that episode anymore and decided to ignore it.
That's all.
Fuck, its over now move on and talk about something else ffs

>move on and talk about something else ffs
And yet here are reading the posts, replying to this thread. Take your advice my son.

Why are you trying to avoid a retcon?
I don't get this mentality that will bend over backwards to justify someone's writing decisions rather than admit they dropped the ball. Just let it be a thing they retconned.

Because retcons are painful as fuck in general. I'm not trying to help Genndy, I'm trying to help myself.

someone stronger than jack killed the guardian and took the portal, jack is never said to be the strongest thing alive
He was probably suppossed to take the portal, he got cucked. As for not aging who knows really

so you think its ok to act like an asshole to everyone to shut them up just so you can be alone and lie to yourself?
This site is beyond shit now, i avoided reddit and tumblr for half of this

You'd help yourself more in the long run if you'd accept the idea that sometimes writing can be bad.

Forget the Guardian, I want to know what happened to the wandering creatures...

I'm willing to bet the plan was ALWAYS to have that portal and the guardian destroyed during the finale (originally intended to be a movie), to raise the stakes. Isn't it too suspicious that they would have an episode like this in the middle of a season (not even the last one), reasuring us that there will be a happy ending eventually? Come on.

>wandering creatures
They weren't on the same path as Jack, just heading in the same direction.
Chances are they've carried on as they always have.

>samurai jack is finally over
>jackbronies are still making threads

>guardian is dead
>jackbronies are still sucking guardian's cock

How in the world is stating my opinion "acting like an asshole"?
Not really.

Easily solved if you choose to believe that given the Guardian has been there for "eons", he's also there in the past.

Jack was older in that vision (his hair had changed color a bit, rather than just grow) and he can't age in the future... so all it takes is a bit of perspective from Jack's timeline to make it work. The portal seemed sentient anyway, and knew who Jack was.

Jack quests to find it in the past, and uses it to arrive in a timeline where he can defeat the Future Aku, save Ashi, and help the warriors of the future rebuild... saving both timelines and finding peace with his love.

Seeing the future inherently causes changes to it.

If he's talking about the creatures in the guardian episode, I assumed that the large creature of the lake lives in that lake, and that the walking scorpion-ish thing lives in its area as well. If I remember right, it's implied they discuss amongst themselves whether Jack is "the one" or not, and the red scorpion-like creature goes so far as to test Jack. So I don't think they were just wandering around aimlessly.

that's a lot of headcanon for something that wasn't even implied in the show proper.

This.
I notice alot of people are making up a ton of fanfiction to defend the garbage writing in this season.

Easily explained with some imagination.

Something like that, pretty much. The guardian doesn't even have to be dead. The guardian could have escaped into the portal himself into the past before it got destroyed as well.

Now what first bugged me about the series was female transformed Aku pulling Jack out of quicksand. At least it can be excused as Aku being a sadistic fuck who derives pleasure playing with Jack's life and destiny.

Unforgivable was the episode where Jack decides to "rescue" his shaolin monk fellahs he just met moments before. They risk their lifes for Jack being able to undo the future all the way up to the portal.
So in the final moments he get's second thoughts about something that wouldn't even matter if he were to actually undo the future.

Yeah I get Jack is meant to be naive as fuck, but that episode was blatantly insulting to ones intellect.

Dumb shit like that is a common cartoon trope, sadly. Already made me generally stay away from the genre and most of tv as a wee lad.

Great post, but
>defeat the Future Aku, save Ashi
There is no future Aku nor is there an Ashi. There is only one timeline. Jack may visit the future, tho.

If there was truly only one fixed timeline, Ashi couldn't change it. Any significant impact she made would cause her existence to end (we saw that) but also cause the change she made to not occur. It would rip time, creating a paradox, or at the very least a split timeline.

So you have two options (well, three... the other is that you just accept shitty writing and not have fun with it). The first is that time changes have a "lag"... so Ashi could change things, but would be impacted by the change later. Like a snapback. Only problem is, everyone still remembers her even after she disappears.

The other option is that she was pulled back into the timeline that she belongs to. This would cause her to fade out, but everyone would remember her. She'd wake up back in her original timeline, with Aku still fighting but now frantic because Jack had gone back to the past.

Up until now everything could work in the show mythos (the show really didn't explain itself in a lot of things, so you can roll with it)... the real headcanon would be my desire to see a show were Jack returns to the future, to find that he was delayed a bit and finds Ashi leading a full scale war against Aku (who is convinced at any second he will disappear) with the Scotsman and everyone else at her side.

Or time travel is always fucky and nothing makes sense at all, but again, taking that option isn't as fun.

Yes. Just like how Ashi helped retcon herself.

Also, if there was only one timeline/no future Aku, he wouldn't have time to say "Oh no" after Jack and Ashi went into the portal. Assuming they were successful (they were) Aku should have vanished the instant they stepped in if it was a "one timeline" sort of deal.

Am I the only one who feels like this whole scene was a mistake in the first place?

Showing how Jack would finally use a time portal takes away all the surprise and tension, and pigeon holes the plot into a certain set of circumstances where he's some old king.

In universes (especially cartoons) with "magical" time travel like this one what generally happens is that the original time travel and all associated consequences (other than memory sometimes) are erased, so time paradoxes never occur. The "magic" theory is especially supported by the whole Jack-not-aging thing, which can't really be explained otherwise.

In any case, while what happened to the other future characters is rather unclear based on what was shown, it is 100% certain that there is no future Aku.

>100% certain

Explain the "Oh no" bit then. There was a future Aku despite Jack going back in time.

The "oh no" bit is proof of the exact opposite. Why would he say that otherwise?

Because he thinks he's about to vanish... because Aku is not all knowing about how his time travel technique works (look at Jack not aging).

My point is, if there was no future Aku, he wouldn't have said it. Because he would have ceased to exist beyond the moment Jack went back.

But it took time before Jack actually got back, let alone killed Aku.
And that's ignoring the whole "ripple effect" thing that is clearly seen with Ashi.

The most likely scenario is that Jack visited him again on the new timeline. After all, the Guardian and the Portal STILL exist on the past.

Isn't it funny? Guardianfags AND pastfags are the ones that got closer to the end that they wanted after all.

>pastfags are the ones that got closer
How did pastfags not get EXACTLY what they wanted?

Yeh, you are actualy right, some things could have been added, but I am happy that he got into the past.

There should be an hour special that shows The Guardian's fight against Aku.

I thought it was a mistake too, and evidently it was considering Genndy just retconned it.

That said though, the vision was just a single image. I would've liked if there was some kind of catch to it. The spoiler could've still been there of Jack using that portal, but maybe it could be done in a roundabout way that keeps us on our toes still.

Aku is already dead, going into the future will merely yield to an Akuless, peaceful future
except it wasn't bad, retcon doesn't means the writing is bad, on rare occasions like this one, a writer recognizes a mistake, an error and fixes it, this is what happened, this barely-legal matrix rip-off had to be erased, I'm glad that it did, king jack is one of the absolute worst ideas this show had the disgrace to spawn

Taking time in the past doesn't impact the future.

If I went back to steal a car or something from you that you were driving at the moment I went back, it wouldn't matter how long I took to steal it. It'd be in the past. I could take days. As long as I stole it before the moment I went back, at the moment I went back you'd no longer have a car in that new timeline. No delay.

The ripple thing could simply be her being flung back into the timeline where she exists.

That's only if there is one set, solid, immutable timeline. If there is, how could Ashi change anything? Her helping to kill Aku would erase herself in the future. Which would prevent Jack from going back to the past. Which would create a future with Aku. Which would create a future with Ashi to help him go back. Which would create a future without Aku. Which would.... just an eternal cycle.

There surely is an Aku-less future... but there also is a potential "alternate" or branch future where Aku still exists.

I found your problem, you've seen so many time-travelling films and cartoons that you have forgot there are no set rules for time traveling, for starters,it's not real, it doesn't exist, in other words, you can't pretend your fanfic, madeup imaginary time-traveling rules are a universal fact, just because someone dind't appealed to your autismal headcanon doesn't means it's bad written, it means you're retarded for expecting one writer to follow the rules some other autist applied to his work.

But would there not at least be a delay while Jack was *getting* back? He wasn't in the past yet...

Most likely that gave Aku at least a few seconds.

ew.com/tv/2017/02/27/samurai-jack-season-5-genndy-tartakovsky-interview/

>“This is it. This is the definitive end, and it’s a great end,” Tartakovsky says. “I haven’t seen it yet, but I’ve storyboarded it, and I think it’s super satisfying, and it should close the door for me for Samurai Jack."

That's all there is folks. It's what Genndy wanted. He didn't feel like he was strapped for time or that there was anything more to explain. In his mind, it's the perfect end and we won't be seeing any more. Any speculation about timeline wankery is only speculation and will be speculation for all time.

You seem to mistake what I'm doing here. I'm just pointing out a fun idea I had that would still be logically consistent. I already admitted there were at least three other options, and that none of it mattered. I am just say a "what if" and having fun with it. Sorry I triggered your autism.

I mean, I even started out saying:
>"Or time travel is always fucky and nothing makes sense at all, but again, taking that option isn't as fun."

But whatever man

But he was in the past. The moment he was no longer in the future, he was in the past (because no matter how long it takes him to muck around getting there, any changes in the past should be instantaneous).

Unless there is a delay for whatever reason. But again, I'm not claiming it has to be one way or the other, just how you could still make such an interpretation work.