Sebastian Shaw was 78 years old when he was cast to play Vader with the mask removed and Anakins force ghost

Sebastian Shaw was 78 years old when he was cast to play Vader with the mask removed and Anakins force ghost
So Anakin was an old man
Why then did Lucas reedit the scene with Hayden Christiansen?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MDYX_PgorRY
youtube.com/watch?v=DeoGfNEGVS0
youtu.be/wTJ3DSNP6Dg?t=4m30s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It represents his redemption.

because when it came to the prequels, Lucas proved yet again that he's as terrible a director as he is an amazing story writer.

George Lucas is obsessed with continuity and logic, to an autistic level. He worked hard to make the prequels tie in with the OT flawlessly, regardless of what you think about the PT, everything makes sense and there's logic in everything. It's kinda the exact opposite of Disney. i mean they even changed Kylo Ren's scar between TFA and TLJ. These directors are very casual about SW and it turned to shit very fast.

Why didn't he just let David Prowse do it?

prowse and lucas hate each other, not that he would have got the job anyway

show someone the OT first so they won't be spoiled by ESB, this guys appears and confuses them.
when you see Vadar take off the mask you get an old man, so it's more rewarding to see a revitalised version of that. (some may differ obviously)
he also redeems himself as an old man, so that was the last time he was on the light side.
Sebastian Shaw also played vadar in those last moments, so it's a dick move to cut him out here even though Christiansen did play him for 2 movies.

Why wasn't Obi-wan replaced with Ewan McGregor so everything matched?

Force ghosts were always one of the worst parts of Star Wars.

eh, wasn't it because that was when he became darth vader?

Anakin ceased to exist and so his ghost turns into chad to fuck all the force ghost stacies

Because they make your war movie about space ships less serious?

because pottery

>George Lucas is obsessed with continuity and logic, to an autistic level. He worked hard to make the prequels tie in with the OT flawlessly

youtube.com/watch?v=MDYX_PgorRY

youtube.com/watch?v=DeoGfNEGVS0

>youtu.be/wTJ3DSNP6Dg?t=4m30s
Relevant

Because it's meant to be a cohesive saga. Idiot.

Ghosts are pretty fucking serious, man.

I just think it detracts from a characters efforts in life when they can just hang out forever after being dead. It's also a really cheap way to double-dip on both the drama of killing a character while still being able to use them in the future, which I'm sure we'll see a lot more of going forward with Disney. The only necessity for them in the original trilogy was telling Luke to use the force instead of a targeting computer, which could have just been interpreted in a lot of ways without it being him literally coming back from the dead to tell him.

Also the ramifications of something like that are really nebulous and unsettling. Where are they and what are they doing when they aren't chilling out as a ghost whenever they feel like it?

Allowing a dead character to talk to the living completely negates the weight of killing off a character

This is storytelling 101 for fucks sake

I can understand people being pissed that Seb Shaw got replaced in ROTJ but I can understand the reasoning. You saw Shaw's face exactly once, covered in all sorts of shit and barely recognisable. The audience has to assume that's Darth Vader but the scene isn't really long enough for there to be any emotional impact of it being him.

Replacing him with the young Anakin is a good idea in theory but the problem with it is that it looks like they basically did one fucking take and Hayden Christensen looks as evil as he ever did. He's looking at them from under his brow, with a kind of scowl. He also doesn't interact with the other two ghosts at all which just makes the whole thing look really clumsy.

i always thought this, too

After dying, Obi-Wan should have just hung out with Vader all fucking day talking mad shit.

>implying the chick Leia remembers is her birth mother

She was adopted as a baby. That was Bail Organa's wife, who she had no reason not to believe was her mother

Unless you think Darth Vader's ex-wife totes broke up with him and went to marry Bail Organa and live on Alderaan and that was all cool with everybody, while for some reason Luke and Obi-Wan had to hide on some desert shithole

>Replacing him with the young Anakin is a good idea in theory
Except it really isn't. The entire point of his death was that Luke was able to make him see that there was still good in him, then he died saving his son's life. He was supposed to be redeemed by that. Making Hayden his force ghost negates the meaning of that arc and implies that he really died when he was young and was never redeemed.

The only way it seems like a good idea is if you're thinking about superficial things; in terms of actual story, it destroys the point of ROTJ.

But Anakin died in Episode III, and was just brought back by Luke in VI. Hayden was the real Anakin.

If his force ghost was supposed to look like him at the moment of death, he'd be appearing as some horrible scarred crispy critter missing his arms and legs.

It's a little strange that they cast a guy older than Alec Guinness to be Anakin in the first place.

A bald assertion isn't an argument. I've already refuted your representation based arguments. Give me something else.

>going to masturbation again, Darth?
>remember, traps are the path to the dark side, anne!

I'd watch that movie.

>If his force ghost was supposed to look like him at the moment of death, he'd be appearing as some horrible scarred crispy critter missing his arms and legs.
The symbolism is that his his redemption had restored him to looking like he would have if he'd never turned to the dark side. It's much more poignant that "hey, it turns out he really died 20 years ago and there actually wasn't any good in him."

>my interpretation is literally the opposite of the guy who wrote and created the whole series
>so I'm right!

It's his spirit that's represented as the force ghost. The one who got eaten by Darth Vader 20 years previously.

>thinks being wrong is refutation

lel!

Lucas didn't write ROTJ. And even besides that, what I'm saying was the way that ending was interpreted for the 20 years before Lucas decided to change it because he wanted to add a bunch of stuff from the prequels into the 2004 DVDs. There's a reason Lucas had to backpedal hard on that point and come up with explanations for it.

>Lucas didn't write ROTJ.

He sure as hell wrote the story -- there's a difference between the story writer and the screenwriter.

Everyone knew the prequels were coming since 1980 when Empire opened up as Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back. So unless he was going to cast a guy who looked exactly like a young Sebastian Shaw to play Anakin, it's pretty obvious that Shaw was going to be a placeholder.

And literally every line of dialogue about Vader hints at that -- blah blah certain point of view blah blah consumed by Darth Vader blah blah. It'd just be weird to make 3 movies about Anakin and then at the conclusion have him portrayed by some middle-aged Literally Who.

It sets the galaxy in stasis for 20 years, everything at the end of III is exactly where it is at the beginning of IV. It's absurd.

This is 100% correct.
This is shallow and stupid.
He doesn't really look older than Alec Guinness though.

>This is shallow and stupid.
>I literally understand a work of art better than its creator
>man, that guy sure is dumb!

You seem to be missing the point. Lucas changed the meaning of the scene after he decided to insert Hayden into it. Shaw wasn't just a placeholder, he was a legitimate actor who was hired to play Anakin Skywalker, and the everyone understood the scene to have a certain meaning until Lucas retconned that meaning for superficial reasons.

At this point, I'm assuming you're either underaged or baiting.

What? No it isn't. The Senate turned into an Empire which militarizes using the Clone armies. Battle droids are completely gone. The jedi are almost completely genocided.