55% on rotten tomatoes

55% on rotten tomatoes
90% from audience
Looks like shit movie that dumb people think is heartwarming and beautiful
I'm going to watch it tommorow with my girlfriend. What am I in for?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Wk008ADh4iY
youtube.com/watch?v=dRcH3TJvIPk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's fun.

The plot is thin, but the songs are entertaining and Jackman is insanely charismatic.

Critics were mostly pissed it made P.T. Barnum out to be more sympathetic than he was IRL.

Also Zendaya a cute. A CUTE!

Best song btw

youtube.com/watch?v=Wk008ADh4iY

Girlfriend tried to get me to see it with her friends and I feigned illness to avoid it.

P.T. Barnum IRL. Was he /ourguy/?

it's pretty fun. The only real flaw is that the numbers tend to be pretty generic pop-sounding. Other than that I have no idea why it would only warrant a 55%. The critics seem to all just be asshurt that it isn't a depressing generic biopic.

He was a grade-A opportunist, so I guess.

>her friends

The greatest Cuckman

It's "a good movie". They were very careful not to take any risks, and to make the most money they could.
This includes soundtrack profits. There's a scene halfway in where this opera singer sings a modern-style pop song, and it's almost as bad as the Jay-Z Great Gatsby scenes.
That said, you'll probably be entertained for 90m.

12/11 made me chuckle

Saw it last night with my girlfriend. As a Jackman fan and a fan of older musicals...I can tell you it's a passable, safe film - but nothing that will stand the test of time.

Where La La Land took place in modern times and used more classic swing/jazz music - TGS takes place in Barnum's time and uses modern pop songs. Every song sounds exactly the same. As a musician I can tell you that several songs even use the same chord progression. Lyrically, they are very "Katy Perry"-ish empowerment type songs. I'd even compare the subject matter to the musical Rent - because the circus acts are all misfits. When these misfits sing it's so awkward you can't even believe it's happening.

Having said that Jackman is putting his heart into it and you can't help but appreciate that. My girlfriend liked the music.

My sides

Isn't the Bearded Lady the only freak that sings in it?

Zendaya doesn't count, her freakyness is being mixed-race.

The bearded lady sang and she has a great voice but she also has a fucking beard. It was cringey but nothing near as cringey as when the dwarf sings.

The bad reviews are just because it wasn't historically accurate and made him sympathetic despite being an asshole in reality. It's a fun movie.

What were his views on stuff?

Looks gay as fuck, your gf is going to think you're a nonce and leave you for a bbc.

>6 (SIX) editors

Yeah, the songs weren't bad but nothing that's going to go down as a classic. I really liked Jenny Lind's song though.
youtube.com/watch?v=dRcH3TJvIPk

The movie portrays him as an impoverished family man who creates the circus to provide for his family, gets seduced by the money and glamour and almost loses himself. He rejects the freaks in favor of managing a fiery opera singer who dumps him when he refuses her advances, and almost loses his family until the freaks come together for him and help him set things right. He then leaves the circus in the hands of his best friend to focus on what matters most, his wife and daughters.

In real life he was an opportunistic entrepeneur who didn't care about the freaks at all, wanted the fuck the opera singer but got friendzoned, abandoned them to run for office and later joined forces with another guy to create the circus. The freaks were way more exploited, and the circus also was cruel to animals. Barnum wasn't a racist, but had minstrel shows and nursing mammies in his show because that's what made money.

I enjoyed the drama but found the transitions into the songs a bit jarring. I just don't like modern pop music enough for that style to really work for me. Jackman was good.

Just got out from the theater, it was okay, but I'm a sucker for "American dream" stories.