This was even more fun and well-made than the first. Why the lower critics score?

This was even more fun and well-made than the first. Why the lower critics score?

The important thing is that you enjoyed it, user

Oh, and there are a lot of kino shots in this one. Doesn't look like a cheap TV show.

Who cares about the critics?

I only open these sites to make fun of DCEU fans

Oh jesus, go back to Sup Forums

Critics rarely give sequels better marks than the original and they tend to approach sequels as sequels instead of judging them on their own merits, it's just how they approach movies. I've seen several critics outright say shit like "A sequel cannot be better than its source material, because nearly all sequels are basic retreads of the lessons we learned from the original movie".

I thought t was better too but people put the fist movie on a pedestal, can't be helped.

Meanders in the middle and it didn't have the audacious "freshness" of the first. I still thought it was pretty great though.

The first one had a better sense of tone and character.

First movie
>Peter Quill is a dashing rogue who likes nostalgaic 80s music and pop culture because it's all he remembers from earth, but shows that he is competent great at improvising on the spot. Also has a tragic background, but has made the most out of a bad situation.
>Drax is a fierce warrior who is literal about everything, but still cunning and brave
>Groot is a silent and dimwitted muscle for Rocket, but shows genuine care and love for other things

Second movie
>Peter Quill is a walking reference, every single thing he says or does has to reference 80s pop culture, and when it doesn't he's sad about his mom.
>Drax is a complete idiot who now just says whatever he wants all the time, and now fights like a big toddler
>Baby Groot is a retard and a little shit who does nothing but cause misery for everyone around him

First movie
>Sense of humor on top of a strong sense of urgency, allowing the audience to laugh but also be involved in the events of the film

Second movie
>DAVID HASSLEHOFF LOL SILLY GROOT I SAID SAID DON'T TOUCH THAT LOOK HE SAID PENIS 80S MUSIC

GOTG2 isn't awful, but it's a step down.

The first one is honestly slightly better. This one was just too much. Everything is ramped up to 11. People like to clown Joss Whedon for his quips and humor and inappropriate times but I think Gunn was even worse this time around.

>I didn't pay attention at all

Peter didn't slip into full reference mode until they met up with Ego and he's taken back to his childhood. Before that he's presented as trying to be a responsible leader which is character development from the first movie where he's just a selfish jerk before he saves Gamora.

>Baby Groot is a retard and a little shit who does nothing but cause misery for everyone around him
To be fair, Baby Groot's got a brain the size of a chickpea now, and when his full-grown self didn't have much upstairs as it was we can't really expect much out of his baby form.

He barely had any dialogue before they went to Ego. It went from action piece to action piece, so you don't get any sense of what you're trying to defend.

You definitely could've made him less annoying. That isn't an excuse for two gags that went on WAY past the point of funny.

Are you serious? 90% of GOTG2 is Quill being selfish. Hell, that's a major point of the movie.

Oh no, I completely agree with you there. The execution for Baby Groot was lackluster, but the CATALYST for his behavior is understandable.

>tells Rocket music isn't important when they're trying to work
>warns the other Guardians about the Sovereign
>gets pissed when Rocket offends them
>gets even more pissed when Rocket steals the batteries
>doesn't believe Ego and is offended when Gamora brings up his drunken Hasselhoff sob story

You absolutely get the sense that he's trying to be responsible and look out for his friends. Then they go with Ego and Ego starts to woo him and he's all "wow I have a dad and he's a God and I can build all kinds of cool shit from my childhood!"

He's not a walking reference but the references are a big part of his character because they're tied to his shitty childhood. When the mommy/daddy stuff comes out naturally so do the references.

AFTER they get to Ego's planet.

Which is 90% of the movie.

See Every line he had was either getting pissed or arguing pre-Ego.

>Hasselhoff sob story

Reference right there in your argument.

>Which is 90% of the movie.

No it isn't.

>Every line he had was either getting pissed or arguing pre-Ego.

You're flat-out wrong. Either way, when he gets upset it's because he's trying to be responsible and Rocket is flouting his sense of authority.

Do you understand context? Gamora is the one who brings that up, which Quill is annoyed by precisely because it reminds him of his shitty childhood.

With shows that his entire character had become defined by 80s pop culture, and you're having a laugh if you think they didn't run Hasslehoff into the ground.

Because they don't agree with you. What, are you retarded? They don't think it was better, and it's such a subjective argument that it doesn't make any sense to care. They are both good, fuck off.

>With shows that his entire character had become defined by 80s pop culture

But it's not, or he wouldn't be offended. His childhood was defined by 80s pop culture, so the references come out in REFERENCE to his childhood, which a lot of his character arc in this movie is about because of his deadbeat dad. Which I already stated like three posts earlier.

Your entire argument is that it's ok that Quill is just a walking 80s reference and "muh mom" because the plot demands it.

Every line he says references 80s stuff. Nothing else. It's grating, because any tension or emotion is taken away for a fucking reference. The first one at least balanced its humor and drama to allow us to feel something, but not a single scene could go without a joke or a reference in 2.

I'm not gonna argue with someone who clearly didn't watch the fucking movie. Saying that every one of his lines is a reference is a straight up lie.

GotG just took everything over the top. Or more. And it worked both ways, it's better for some people and worse for others.

It all started with the first scene, with the fight against this big monstar and Groot dancing. I was like "Oh, we're going to do this? Is the whole movie like this?" Some parts were, some weren't. I enjoyed it. I want to see the third part or whatever role the Guardians plays in the Infinity War or maybe some cosmic stuff in Captain Marvel.

It's like your blind disliking for this movie franchise prevented you from actually watching the movie

Why did you even bother to see it?

Hard more:
>no "parents took me to see it"
>no "friends forced me to watch it" with them"

Roger Ebert was too good for this world for not doing that shit
>gave Hackers a 3.5/4
>gave KFP2 a 3/4
Too good for this workd

But that's what it is. It's literally referencing something else that is popular. That is why they used Hasslehoff, BECAUSE he is popular.

Man, that is some heavily implication my angry friend. I already said that I loved the first movie, and I honestly did like the second movie, but your defenses of its flaws are on its own level of denial. The movie has flaws, and just because I didn't like it as much as you did doesn't mean I hate it.

Gunn's directing style is like black licorice, not everyone's gonna like it.
GOTG 2 was more aggressive in his style than the first one, which was more distinctly a MCU film. The juxtaposition of humor and drama can cause whiplash for some people. I found it a better film than the first though.

I would actually argue that the sequel had better character but more sporadic tone

When I say character, I mean they explore the characters more intimately by pairing them off and focusing on specific foils and contrasts rather than through lines of the five man ensemble

I'll say that what I think you're tapping into is that they sort of seem a little flanderized but I think that's intentional for certain characters. Peter wasn't spouting those references in the beginning of the film, he starts more and more as he talks to Ego and regresses to his memories of childhood that he and his dad bond over. His reference-spouting and where it begins is a direct result of Ego trying to tap into his childhood desire for a father figure: in fulfilling that desire, Quill regresses to the mind state that he was, in a way, halted at (both due to his single parent status and his mother dying)

Drax is more laid back but that's because he's growing past his grief over his family. He's not completely past there (seen with his scene with Mantis) but he's more emotionally mature on this subject than any of the other Guardians, so he is focusing on enjoying life and his new family at this point

Baby Groot is taking after his parent, Rocket. Rocket is a confrontational dick, so is Baby Groot. That's half of the entire development of Yondu and Rocket as a character pair: they both have parental abandonment issues, they both are parents themselves

Not at all.
It's a specific moment of his childhood and a thing that TONS of kids with parental abandonment did and some still do: project that their parent is someone famous or awesome to salve the wound that they're never around.

Peter isn't doing a wink and nudge at bringing up a reference that no one else will get in that scene, Gamora is bringing up the issue that he had to cope with something proves that he gave a shit about that something

It's characterization, not Tony Stark saying "that guy is playing Galaga
Use those critical reading skills m8

I see where you're going with that, but my issue is that those traits have the subtlety of bricks through windows. I do think they were Flanderized, mostly by Gunn's need to push the humor way too far. That's why Yondu was my favorite character this time around, because he really felt like a character. He could be funny, but we got to see him grow and develop in a way that wasn't in the audience's face constantly. The issue I had was that while I think you have a point, those characteristics are blown out to a point where they aren't as enjoyable.

>Peter isn't doing a wink and a nudge

He isn't, no, but Gunn is. The issue isn't that Quill goes out of his way to reference things, it's that Gunn himself can't characterize Peter in any other way. Even Gamora bringing it up is Gunn openly going out of his way to use popular culture to define Quill, which wouldn't had bothered me if it weren't for the Pacman scene, an entire scene with dialogue about Knight Rider, and so on. Ego's talk with Peter using lyrics was a good scene that felt short handed by the fact that so many other scenes did the same thing.

>Use those critical reading skills m8

Also go fuck yourself for being a faggot who can't just have a conversation without being a petty 12 year old about it. Just make your point you googobblet.

>Even Gamora bringing it up is Gunn openly going out of his way to use popular culture to define Quill, which wouldn't had bothered me if it weren't for the Pacman scene, an entire scene with dialogue about Knight Rider, and so on

The Knight Rider was the same as the Gamora scene. Pay attention.

No, Knight Rider is mentioned in a separate scene. For someone sucking off the movie so hard, you sure don't remember it well.

No it fucking isn't, it's the same scene where Gamora brings up Zardu Hassellfrau. I'm not even the guy you were talking to you paranoid fuck.

>Paranoid

Considering you use faggoty add-one like "pay attention" it's hard to tell the difference.

There were times when I thought certain jokes were just unnecessary.
Like every joke from "we need to talk about your language" was unnecessary.

I agree that the flanderization was there but it generally served a purpose narratively so I gave it a pass.
The thing that got under my skin was how often they Told instead of Showed the characterization, which is where some of the referencing came in.
>Yondu spilling his guts out to a Rocket in the ravager prison
>Peter explicitly explaining the meaning of the hasselhoff story to Gamora after she recalls it
>nebula spilling her guts out to Kraglin

Overall, it was a different film with different concentrations of the things people liked or didn't like from the first...I honestly think it comes down to preference in terms of how you prefer your characterization and style

I actually agree that Gunn is throwing references left and right, not just in dialogue but in music use as well (blue sky man and Come a little closer don't really fit thematically for their scenes like The Chain or Brandi)
However I still hold that it's generally used for characterization in a way that was interesting and resonant with some so I don't hate it as much as I do whenever Tony Stark and the Avengers get into quip fests in the Iron Man/Avengers movies: entire minutes of dialogue that don't serve any characterization purpose. Like the sense of humor between all the characters is identical where even in GotG1/2, each character has a fairly distinctive flavor in their comedic sense and timing
>Drax is autistic and a bit of an asshole
>Groot is absent minded and slapstick
>Quill is MCU quips (tm)
>Rocket is practical humor and physical acting

I wasn't meaning to be an asshole, it felt like you were reading everything in an overly cynical way.
After reading your above response, I understand your criticisms better. I'm sorry for getting personal about it though

And he's been raised by the Angriest Raccoon In The World. Of course he's an angry little tree now.

I remember when it said the test screenings got 100%
I wonder if audience reaction is like that.

For me it's more 80%

80% is about right. It's a fun movie with lots of character development but it takes things a bit too far sometimes.

The first film was a planet hoping adventure. The second one they mostly stay on one planet.

I wonder who gets invited to test screenings

Literally just got back from a matinee showing (busy exam season kept me from watching it sooner) and it was alright. There were definitely some good jokes, I liked seeing Rocket tool around with the Ravagers and Ego was an awesome antagonist. My only issues were a few scenes that could have been cut shorter and some that could have been expanded upon.

The Ravager scene where Rocket busts Taser-face's chops about his dumb name could have been good, but they kind of had a forced quality to it. Baby Groot was forced at times too (too adorable to kill? How about wanting him around to fight rat creatures for entertainment?). I think the Ego being a shithead reveal could have been smoother too, it seems like it jumped from him telling Quill he loved his mother to not really giving a shit about her since he knocked up thousands of other alien-moms. It could have been a neato concept as to what kind of morality such a creature as a celestial did have. He could have "loved" Peter's mom but only as a celestial could, as a means to achieve a purpose. This could have been juxtaposed with other loves throughout the movie, mostly loves that are unspoken instead of preached about by beings that can never truly love as mortals do.

So yeah, a ton of potential and don't get me wrong, I enjoyed most of the actiony sequences and a lot of the humor, but it didn't grab me as the last one did, which was a shame because I vastly prefer Ego to Ronin. Ego had scenes of brilliance where he was basically Peter if he gave in and chose the path of immortality, but then it kind of got hand-waved away and just sort of ended. Yondu's scenes were all gold though.

I wish they had more restraint with the jokes but other than that I fucking loved it.

FOX ON THE RUN
YOU SCREAM AND EEEEEEEEVERYBODY COMES
A'RUNNIN'
TAKE A RUN AND HIDE
YOURSELF AWAAAAAAAAY
FOXY ON THE RUUUUUUUUUUUUN
F-FOXY
FOX ON THE RUN
AND HIDE AWAY

Anyone else feel like they were calling out the "cape shit should be serious and mature" audience of even DC at the beginning? They completely ignored the fight to follow dancing groot and the monster was shooting out a glittery rainbow of color.

Only thing I think was fairly weak was the Ego/Peter relationship because you spot where it was going a mile off. But the rest of the movie was excellent

I'm gonna wager it's that the whole 'cinematic universe' thing is starting to seem more like a burden than a boon. It's certainly turned me off of the movies.

but GotG2 was less connected to the rest of the MCU than the first one was.

I thought it was worse personally

First good villain of the MCU.