Do you have any motives to dislike Palpatine and Yoda using lightsabers? Other than "Mr. Plinkett told me to dislike"...

Do you have any motives to dislike Palpatine and Yoda using lightsabers? Other than "Mr. Plinkett told me to dislike", of course.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iu3qoIsGzUM
youtube.com/watch?v=hFB16GCocfw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Watch the Plinkett review of the prequels.
He'll tell you why you're wrong and why it's a bad thing that they use lightsabers

because it looks fucking retarded

I thought the execution was awful so I guess that's the motive. But conceptually, no. I can't see why they wouldn't.

RLM had a lot of weird headcanon about Star Wars.

There's nothing wrong with them using lightsabers

the "jedi weapon" thing is a just a dumb nitpick

this is a legitimate reason

DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE TO SAY SHIT ABOUT MUH FRIEND SIMULATOR, I MASTURBATE WHILE WATCHING RLM, SO WHAT?!?!?!?!?

I NEED THEIR OPNION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because its dumb and wastes time in the film. Why do they need to twist and twirl around with glow sticks? Does being strong with the Force grant sword fighting abilities?

>Palpatine
I've got no objection to that, he might as well use a lightsaber
>Yoda
Yoda was meant to not be a strong warrior. In ESB, it's a bait-and-switch where Luke expects a mighty warrior but it's actually a little green Muppet.
That being said, it's not the terrible. I don't get why people talk about "LE RAPING MUH CHILDHOOD" just cause Yoda uses a lightsaber

It doesn't exactly instill me with a lot of awe in their skill with the force to see them have to resort to swinging a glowstick at shit for ten minutes.

You can say that about every Jedi

Most fights in the original trilogy are less than a minute long.

Yea, watching the OT, which is how Mike arrived at his dislike too.

Almost a month later and there's still dozens of Star Wars threads littering the fucking catalog WHY THE FUCK WON'T MODS MAKE A FUCKING CONTAINMENT BOARD FOR THIS SHIT.
STAR WARS RUINED CINEMA AND NOW IT'S RUINING Sup Forums

Yoda should have sat cross legged in meditation while he made a fallen jedi's lightsaber dance around in the force to fight sheev

I too long for an end to these interminable Star Wars.

Neutral about it. On one hand the lightsaber is a jedi weapon so it would make sense for Yoda to have one if at least for ceremonial purposes and whatnot, on the other what RLM said is true and he's 2ft tall and is at a clear disadvantage.

Wait, people were buttmad with Yoda using a lightsaber?

He's a fucking Jedi for fuck's sake, him not using a lightsaber is retarded.

The only argument I see for them not using sabers is the "oh yes, a jedi's weapon" quote, which is just a weak nitpick, and sounds more like a sarcastic quip from Palpatine rather than a statement of fact. Yeah it could have looked better in the films, but the idea that the strongest Jedi and Sith just decide to ditch lightsabers despite being a core feature of their teachings and fighting styles is silly.

An /sw/ board would be nice for Star Wars fans. There are more Star Wars fans than there are bronies, and there's a brony board. Also, Star Wars contains movies, cartoons, and comics, so it doesn't fit on one board. Sup Forums should do it

Most confrontations a Jedi gets into should be settled without ever pulling a lightsaber on the basis of knowledge, wisdom, use of psychological tactics or straight up intimidation; getting out the saber is some last resort shit for when they need to put their foot down; like when Obi-Wan amputates Panda Baba's arm he doesn't do it right off the bat; he tries to smooth shit over and when it goes bad anyway he swings it one time and everybody agrees it's a good idea to deescalate this situation before something worse happens. That's what the image of the Jedi Knight as peacekeeper should project; if you fuck with them it's going to turn out badly for you; cheapening everything into an effects sequence where glowing cylinders flash senselessly for an interminable battle just makes them fucking boring. Fuck these assholes.

I have nothing against yoda using a lightsaber. I just don't want him to be jumping and spinning arround like he's sonic and shit.

But that's what his Saber form includes

Is Yoda's use of a lightsaber relevant to the plot or is it only there to pad for time and sell toys?

>Saber form
Fuck off EUnigger

Saber forms are canon. It the only way to explain why Obi Wan can beat Anikan, Grevious and Maul but not Dooku

It looks silly.
Also Yoda was not a fighter and Lucas described him as "a guru, not much good in a fight" back when he was writing RotJ. Like an analogue of a monk or priest compared to Luke being a Templar. That was more consistent with his OT character I feel.
Palpatine was dismissive of lightsabers but I don't have a problem with the idea of him using one as a last resort. Again though all the jumping and spinning was just silly.

Plinkett is 100% right though
>ESB: woah Yoda is physically weak and looks like a slugman and hes still a master of the force! Wow so physical strength has nothing to do with your wisdom and abilites (with the force)!
>Prequels: Yoda is le ultimate badass that is master of the force and also a master swordfighter (in the EU he even "mastered all the types of lightsaber battles", which is even more retarded.)

My personal gripe with prequel yoda: In the OT he talks weird because he apparently doesnt have much contact to other people. Also he probably doesnt talk that much living in the swamp and all. And then in the prequels they keep the way he talks because its a meme apparently. It doesnt make any sense for him to be talking like that. Is there an EU explanation? Id love to hear it

>palpatine shows disdain for lightsabers in ROTJ
>but him using one in ROTS to sell toys is fine since I don't like RLM

I always felt that entire fight was just Sheev trolling the Jedi in total, that they might have a chance at defeating him, when in reality all they did was send in possible disciples to their doom

>What is character development

A bald assertion isn't an argument. I've already refuted your representation based arguments. Give me something else.

They're literally never named in any movie so no, they aren't canon.

what do you mean? What about Yoda and Palps using lightsabers is character development? Do you mean that they both realized that lightsabers are stupid?

Inconsistency and...

They were badasses in the OT. They were reduced to street brawlers in the prequels, if you ask me.

fucking EU fags i swear

>STAR WARS RUINED CINEMA
Imagine being this retarded.

How do you know Palpatines disdain for lightsabers didn't grow from his ineffectual use of it during Revenge of the Sith? And why couldn't Yoda have been a powerful warrior who transformed more into a monk in his old age?

>a guru, not much good in a fight
Literally irrelevant to "character development" since that was a description of his ability. Yoda being 880 years old in the prequels vs 900 years old in the OT makes the discrepancy in his capabilities glaring also.

Dooku threw the fight against Anakin. He didn't know that Sheev was going to throw him under the bus.

>Saber forms are canon.
I don't care if they are canon. They come from the EU, and are retarded. If they are canon it's only because old EU got "cannonized"
> It the only way to explain why Obi Wan can beat Anikan, Grevious and Maul but not Dooku
Once again, fuck off EUnigger and take your headcanon with you.
Neither George Lucas or Nick Gillard have any idea what saber forms are and they were never considered in the script writing process. It's just you applying shitty EU headcanon retroactively to movies.

when character progression is shown and given a reason as to why characters change. Cutting to 20 years later and characters are totally different with no explanation is not development its inconsistency

Fuck off, disney shill

Because a hunched old man and elderly green muppet flipping around and doing incredibly agile lightsaber shit is retarded. It's great for laughs and memes but its impossible to take seriously.

>old age
>880/900 = 0.97777777
He is 98% as old in the prequels but somehow infinitely more physically adept, it's just silly.

he already is old in the prequels. Hes like 900 years old, so he changed his mind in like 20 years? He already walked around with a stick in the prequels. This doesnt really make sense. He is the local monk of the jedi temple when he still jumps around with his lightsaber

I'm talking about the fight at the end of the Clone Wars
So you're an expert on the aging of Yoda's species?

This, same reason it was retarded how they did the same thing with Luke in TLJ.

It just didn't seem to fit their characters or the dignity of the situation.

I have a specific complaint that in the OT Palpatine doesn't seem impressed with Luke's lightsaber and calls it a Jedi weapon. I know this is a Plinkett point, but also consider that immediately afterward Palpatine then decides to just win the fight immediately by shooting Luke with lightning. You also never see Yoda use one or even train Luke with one. Both these things together give the impression that once you're a master of the force, you don't need to use weapons; the force is your weapon.

So my expectation going into the prequels was that if Yoda ever fought anybody, he'd do it like some kind of Force wizard, purely using his telekinesis and other powers, and Palpatine would fight the same way. It would be different and exciting. Instead they just do saber duels like I've seen before.

Because its stupid filler

brofist.png

Because they both seemed way above that sort of shit before. Both of them understood real power in the whole riddle of steel sense. Sheev openly mocks the idea of a lightsaber in ROTJ and Yoda talks about specifically not being a warrior and never trains Luke on how to use his lightsaber.

A lot of the SW threads aren't likely to be Star Wars fans, but your normal shitposters who don't care one way or the other trying to bait different people depending on mood

>the force is your weapon
>"a jedi uses the force for knowledge and defense, never to attack"

wdhmbt

youtube.com/watch?v=iu3qoIsGzUM

Seriously look how poorly directed this it

In the absence of any other information it makes far more sense to assume that 98% as old means 98% as old, especially since we still see Yoda using a cane and shit in the prequels.

he talks somewhat normally in episodes I-III though?? It's only after he gets a full dose of force lightning from Palpatine does he start to talk as he did in the OT.

A personal problem i have that is not mentioned in the plinkett reviews iirc:
OT:
>blue lightsabers are established to be traditional jedi weapons
>vader has the only red one shown (its implied by behind the scenes content that his saber is artificial, this is not mentioned in the movies however)
>so there are as many blue ones as there are/were jedi and one red one for vader
>in Rotj Luke MODIFIES his one so it turns green. The colour comes because he changed something about it

PT:
>"well in the OT jedi have blue lightsabers and luke then has a green one"
>"so yeah jedi have either a blue one or a green one, split randomly"
>"yoda gets a green one because hes green obviously"
>"also all bad guys get a red one because vader had one"

this isnt mentioned much but if you think about it you realize how uncreative the PT really is

Literally because it looks fucking retarded, especially for Yoda

I remember watching Attack of the Clones in the cinema. A child's wilful suspension of disbelief is extremely powerful, especially when they love something so much as a Star Wars fan does, but nothing could stop the illusion from shattering when Yoda pulled out his lightsaber and the 66% of the room erupted into uproarious laughter as he started spinning and flipping around the hall to try and parry 6'4 Christopher Lee

Yeah, because I didn't like it before I ever watched the RLM reviews.

There are plenty of places for those CHUDs to talk about this shit online already.

There's absolutely no problem with it because they are movies for kids, just like our friends at rlm finally admitted in their last jedi review

There's plenty other places to talk about films too. By your logic Sup Forums shouldn't exist either.

Red lightsabers and force lightning becoming the signature traits of every sith was one of the stupidest things they did

No.
>The lightsaber has always been the weapon of the Jedi. (it's in the very first lorebuilding scene of them all, and still probably the best) "This is the weapon of a Jedi knight"
>Yoda is a Jedi Knight
>the force is in-universe something most people only know of because of the Jedi
>ergo the emperor had at least fluency in Jedi practices if he was able to defeat the Jedi,
Even if we grant the anti-prequel fanatics an alternative to the idea of the sith as an order that exists in opposition to the Jedi, the only real alternative is that Palpatine is also a rogue Jedi, which would give him a lightsaber.
The only real opposition seems to be "but they're old men!" which goes against the RLM types of criticism of the prequels treating the Jedi as frontline supersoldiers and lightsaber battles as impossibly fast, ignoring the ceremonial value a lightsaber has, and the fact that even Obi-Wan used one.

Posts like this are why I create at least ten Star Wars threads every day. Because fuck you.

Yoda isn't a Knight, he's a full fledged Jedi Master and Master of the Force. He shouldn't pull out a lightsaber to fight with Sheev or Christopher Lee. He should be beyond that, much like Sheev was in RotJ

How does "they're old men" go AGAINST the complaint that prequel fights are overextended, overchoreographed, and move too fast? Obi-Wan was an old man in ANH and didn't flip around and whatnot like Yoda and Sheev.

They were dignified characters in the OT

Giving them crude weapons and making them flip all over the place looked retarded and was contrary to the characters established in the OT

Some kind of force battle would have worked nicely, but George shit the bed on this one

Sup Forums was ruined long before Star Wars

The simple fact that the Emperor could just switch your lights off if he wanted to but goes to the trouble of torturing Luke to death with electricity is a testament to how little use a serious Force user would have for lightsabers. They just became a marketable gimmick so Lucas handed everybody one since it's more visually interesting than just snapping someone's neck with the Force so long as you don't break the illusion by doing retarded and unnecessary shit with it like the did in the prequels.

>a jedi and a sith shouldn’t use lightsabers because they don’t look as physically fit as other jedi/sith
you’re all fucking retarded

Sheev had a good reason to not use the lightsaber in ROTJ.
He was trying to prove a point in getting Darth Vader to fight Luke with his lightsaber and get Luke to join him without having to beat him into submission (or be destroyed by the dark side as expressed through Vader's lightsaber).
And Luke was not a direct threat to Palpatine at that moment in ROTJ, it's not comparable to Sheev V Yoda, where both of them would have no reason or opportunity to give the other any quarter.

I don't dispute that, because it's not what's being discussed, I'm only disputing the idea that them having lightsabers is contradictory to their characters as mystic old men. Even if they were in canon completely decrepit, they would still have their lightsabers, same way bishops have croziers but don't go around chasing sheep.

No it's because they shouldn't need to given that Sheev can throw lightning and Yoda can carry spaceships. They're beyond that.

you could make pretty much the same argument about every single jedi or sith

OTfags are just nostalgic retards. It's a good thing George didn't pander to them. They can't understand a simple political thriller so all they do is spend their life watching the OT all day

I don't disagree with Yoda maybe having a symbolic lightsaber (idk about Palpatine since he wasn't a Jedi), but I disagree that he would ever actually need to use it (unless it was a case as extreme as a bishop literally needing to herd sheep, which a fight would not qualify as).

I don't like the prequels but the sheev scenes are pretty good
Couldn't care less about the meme reviewer that everyone on this board is obsessed with

>Your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or as random as a blaster. An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
>This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight
youtube.com/watch?v=hFB16GCocfw

Not really, they are the only two in the movies who are shown to do anything that impressive. You could argue though that the Jedi deflect blaster bolts with their sabers too much when Vader could just absorb them.

Kasdan: The Force was available to anyone who could hook into it?

Lucas: Yes, everybody can do it.

Kasdan: Not just the Jedi?

Lucas: It’s just the Jedi who take the time to do it.

Marquand: They use it as a technique.

Lucas: Like yoga. If you want to take the time to do it, you can do it; but the ones that really want to do it are the ones who are into that kind of thing. Also like karate. Also another misconception is that Yoda teaches Jedi, but he is like a guru; he doesn’t go out and fight anybody.

Kasdan: A Jedi Master is a Jedi isn’t he?

Lucas: Well, he is a teacher, not a real Jedi. Understand that?

Kasdan: I understand what you’re saying, but I can’t believe it; I am in shock.

Lucas: It’s true, absolutely true, not that it makes any difference to the story.

Kasdan: You mean he wouldn’t be any good in a fight?

Lucas: Not with Darth Vader he wouldn’t.

You're really new aren't you? It's nothing compared to TDKR or avatar.

of a knight, not a master

this

So? Sheev is clearly not a Jedi knight.
Neither was Yoda, not originally at least, see

>They can't understand a simple political thriller
BUT WHY DIDN'T THE JEDITH JUTHT KILL PALPATINE YEARTH AGO, HE ITH THE BAD GUY THO THEY THOULD KILL HIM

It's people who do what Rian Johnson did, is look at something well-established and coherent and think "well what if I poked a giant hole in it with the hard-on smelling my own farts just gave me".

It's ironic as well in that it's based on an interpretation of the force as just a source of mana like a cheap RPG spell-casting system rather than a locus of psycho-spiritual-religious energy. That's the midichlorian view of the force.

They showed Yoda (and Sheev as well actually) using a cane and some kind of flying saucer because he is so old but then suddenly he gets a light saber and jumps around like a pinball
masterful writing Mr. Lucas indeed

A bald assertion isn't an argument. I've already refuted your representation based arguments. Give me something else.

this and only this

the force ins't about physical prowess, even if they look old, weak and pathetic they can still fight using lightsabers like pros because the force allows them to

"It looks retarded" is literally all the argument that is needed. It's subjective.

yeah it makes sheev not special anymore. Instead of an evil space wizard hes "another sith" now that just has the same abilities as any other one.

>suddenly he gets a light saber and jumps around like a pinball
Every Jedi can perform superhuman feats

I don't like Yoda using lightsabers or the emperor.

I did like everything else in this fight scene. The hopping frog and the raining down of senate seats was exactly what I was looking for in a "force fight". I wanted more unique ways of fighting by manipulating your environment. Maybe like manipulating a thick wire to rip from the wall and wrap it around the neck like a noose slowly lifting their enemy.

>being upset that a Sith is a Sith
wew

Yea, this isn't much of an argument. Both Luke and Vader do some super jumps in ESB, obviously using the force.

idk even when i was littler I assumed electric hands were the be all end all force power of the dark side

Do you have any reason to eat food? Other than to keep yourself alive and that it tastes good, of course