Reminder that if you like Calarts cartoons you should kill yourself

Reminder that if you like Calarts cartoons you should kill yourself

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_C70vDkYvqk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Has CalArts actually ever produced a cartoon? Not people from there, or students studying there, has the actual school itself published anything?

Find a single episode where he makes that face and I will

If you like cartoons you should kill yourself

Die you degenerate CalArts fag!

i like to fart on my hand and sniff it
is that better or worse? should i kill myself?

i wonder if people believe that rebecca sugar went to calarts just because of Sup Forums memes

Probably

can a school wihtout people make a cartoon? I don't know user, you managed to publish here without having a brain

I'm going to keep enjoying Gumball and drink your tears.

Doesn't matter, because the "CalArts style" did not get its name because of the people going there, but rather the thing it represents as a whole; homogenization.

When people bitch about CalArts, they are bitching about the blatant homogenization across different studios, which strips away creativity, and replaces it with cost-effective, but boring and safe, design. CalArts is a college that teaches you the rules of animation and design, but since when does art have rules? Why should art have rules? I'm not proposing all art be urinals, nor should they all be portraits and landscapes. Art thrives off of experimentation, for better or worse, but colleges have to homogenize. Colleges can't personalize between hundreds of students, that is not viable, so instead they teach the basics and hope you differentiate yourself. In the past, many did, but nowadays people rather get by as if they are just trying to get degrees to hang on the fridge.

Let it be known CalArts is not ultimately the problem, they just propagate it. The problem is students who just want to do the bare minimum and copy their friends. The problem is the company who wants to minimize design to shapes so they don't have to pay the Koreans much. The problem is the agenda pushers who have nothing better to but propagate to children that "you NEED to go to college, YOU NEED US". The biggest problem, though, is that no one gives enough of a fuck to prevent it.

>but since when does art have rules? Why should art have rules?

yeah dude fuck books and fundamentals, my stickman scribbles look just as good as a disney film.

but at least half of those aren't made by calarts grads, user

>calarts is a school
>schools teach you things
>therefore we should refer to homogenization as "calarts"

Great logic.

p.s. trends in art styles have been a thing since the entire history of animation

Doesn't matter if they were made by Calarts grads or not. It's the style itself that's shit. The style that originated in calarts.

Reminder that ops a faggot

>The style that originated in calarts.

it really didn't

Proof?

They both have just as much merit through definition and narrative. Search "Circle 'n Square" on youtube for a crude example.

That's John K logic, he's the one who coined the term. Don't shoot the messenger, like I said I don't think CalArts is the problem

It started with Adventure Time, dammit. If that show hadn't been a success, do you think cartoons nowadays would be the way they are?

i'm glad you provided proof that it originated from calarts

>he's the one who coined the term.

he wasn't even talking about the same things people use it for.

Adventure Time isn't calarts style. It's a "notebook doodle" style that's distinctive from the bean head, jailbar mouth calarts style. Adventure Time's character designs are pretty distinctive compared to calarts ones, notice how no Adventure Time characters are in OP's gif?

what does any of that have to do with calarts

Look at Calarts student films from 2012 onwards, you'll see the homogenous trend.

You're delusional if you don't think Adventure Time didn't played a part in the development of this current calarts style.

You claimed the style started with Adventure Time, but it didn't. It started with Calarts.

It started way before with anime and chibi pilgrim
Adventure Time is more so "underground comic" style then "notebook doodle". Underground comics often used simple, advertisement esque character designs with intricate backgrounds, which adventure time does. Notebook doodle style is more akin to Between Fiends and 12 Oz Mouse.

The general jist was the same, he hated the flat and angular trend of the 2000s because of his animation purity, and he hated the school CalArts for pumping out Disney animators with no distinction between themselves. These arguments harp on the same belief system; "homogenization ruins art".

I have a friend who graduated from CalArts a few years ago.
He's a waiter.

Getting anywhere in the animation is all about social contacts, looks like your friend was missing that part.

Everybody in these types of threads are fucking idiots. "CalArts" style is just simplified animation to save money on production. Why do they need to save money? It's because nobody watches TV anymore so cartoons don't make profit like they used to.

piss off, tmsfag.

>o92693974
You mean simpsons but with fat cheeks and chins and normal skin?

I like these cartoons
youtube.com/watch?v=_C70vDkYvqk

>Clarence shoehorned in
Loving every laugh

>Steven and Gumball are CalArts
OP, You are getting this Wrong, Powerpuff Girls should be in there

Gumball is definitely Cal-Arts.
When the main character and his family are some of the most boring looking things in a cartoon, there is something very wrong.

I can like whatever I want!