Could modern day earth stop a gem invasion?

Could modern day earth stop a gem invasion?

We have nukes now.

Other urls found in this thread:

c-span.org/video/?428018-1/witnesses-warn-electromagnetic-pulse-attack-damage-us-electric-grid
youtube.com/watch?v=UV1NiqGVGQo
youtube.com/watch?v=CIGHCoVzqtk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Considering it would be an invasion, wouldn't that mean nuking ourselves?

Since World War II didn't happen I don't think they have nukes in that world. I remember somebody saying that that world is pretty docile when it comes to human behavior.

Wouldn't weaponized sound be enough to keep them at bay on a battlefield?

I want you to think about how much raw power it would take to generate a beam of light -a beam of LIGHT- that can make something like the Red Eyes to fucking EXPLODE. Think about how much force and energy would be required to do something like that.

Now I want you to think about how the Hand Ship, a small carrier vessel that was by-and-large considered disposable enough for two gems to take to a planet on the verge of exploding, shrugged of not one not two but FOUR such beams impacting at once. It did not stop or slow down.

Homeworld war machines would facetank conventional nuclear weapons without breaking a sweat. You'd need to rapid-fire Czar Bombas at them to do anything, and you'd still fuck all of us long before you fucked any of them.

Yes. Gems are weak and dumb

We would easily hold them off. Their cores are just regular gems and its shown they can be easily shattered. If Bismuth's spike weapon can shatter a gem Im sure a bullet can.

>If Bismuth's spike weapon can shatter a gem
A feet can shatter a gem

hell, Im surprised there was a successful invasion in the first place. They just use melee weapons, primitive humans should have been able to shatter some gems.

Which brings up the question of why they don't armor themselves to protect their one real weakness.

>we have nukes now
>laughing gems just use their powerful lasers to shoot down the nukes
>proceed to use space based lasers to blast all resistance

>Im surprised there was a successful invasion in the first place
No one was there to fight

Who cares? they are not real you autist.

Nuclear radiation was theorized as a means of energy well before the world wars.

Only if the Gems did it REALLY stupidly.

The fact remains that individual gem soldiers are much more durable, faster, and stronger than we are. We use guns, sure, but Gems can just fucking powerjump to close the distance and say "we are in melee now, fuck you" any time they want. Which is probably why the gems never really were too keen on ranged weapons anyway, since in all of their fights the ranged portion of it is almost nonexistent.

Then you get into bullshit gem powers, like future vision (the tactical advantage of which is HUGE) or offensive combat tricks like Opal's bow and arrow, which can fire once and then split into a dozen different well aimed shots. Or completely OP shit like that little blue fairy things wand, which can apparently just stunlock and toss around whole groups of people without repercussion. And unlike a gem, being thrown hundreds of feat into the air will kill a human.

Based on the feats of strength we see Quartz class gems perform, they can tear metal with their bare hands. Dismantling a tank might not be easy, but chances are good they can do it. A fusion certainly can.

Someone is going to point out 'hurr durr, we can just shoot them in the gems!' Of course you can. But THEY can just hit YOU in the ANYWHERE. The number of kill shots you can get on gems in a fight will pale in comparison to what they can do in return, because you have to aim to hit a pretty small target in a chaotic battlefield, and they can just punch you to death or throw a car at you.

Meanwhile, they also have orbital superiority. Assuming they are not really, really dumb, they can cripple global efforts to resist them by destroying the majority of our communications infrastructure in space, meaning that GPS and lots of long range communication just ceased to exist.

And that's not even counting them just blasting our cities from orbit and calling it a day.

>Shatter meme

Someone did the math from Amethyst's fall. A gem would take 40000 joules to actually shatter.

>using math
>in a kids show
Autismo

Nukes are our only shot at taking down their ships, and if we can't take down the ships we literally cannot win.

This is problematic, because even assuming they can't shoot down the missiles, they can just outrun them. There isn't any serious warmup time on that black hole FTL they have. As soon as they detect an incoming missile, they can just pop around to the other side of the planet, or dodge out of the solar system and return in ten minutes after the missile has run out of fuel.

We don't even really have nukes as a unique advantage either. 5000 years ago they had the Shooting Star, and that shit is a WMD. Homeworld likely has worse by now.

How much is that compared to anything? Numbers don't really mean anything.

This. Also it implies that Bismuth's weapon spikes a gem with 40,000 joules of force instantly, which is more force than a 14.5×114mm gun. Like the art of that show the logic of it has no consistency. Also I don't think you could really call shattering a meme considering how every time its brought up in the show every character collectively shits a brick and cries for the remainder of the episode.

>Gems can be poofed by a thrown pipe
>use overwhelming melee weapons

Literally that only we have to fear is the orbital bombardments. Why the fuck the gems haven't informed the world governments is beyond me

Oh wait no it's not, it's because Sugar thinks it'll be more interesting to the story if the crystal gems baby sit an obese and literally mentally retarded 15 year old

>but Gems can just fucking powerjump to close the distance and say "we are in melee now, fuck you" any time they want. Which is probably why the gems never really were too keen on ranged weapons anyway, since in all of their fights the ranged portion of it is almost nonexistent.

Why people ALWAYS say this? We are SHOW that Gems can use ranged attacks - like Pearl shoting lasers from her spear, Opal doing multiple kinds of shots with her bow, and Rose having canons that can destroy a fucking meteorite in one shot.

To not talk about the lasers on their ships too.

Gems have plenty of ranged attacks, all more powerful than conventional guns.

Orbital bombardments are a fucking meme. A nuke detonated in space would wreck any nearby ships.

Well, fuck. Quick google search turns up this.

I'd have to hear the logic behind that user's math, but even half that means that gems are actually really fucking durable. Enough that most of our guns wont actually kill them with a single shot.

She's a big girl.

We know from the show that ballistic damage wrecks them. Who fucking cares about lazes when the weapon the gems considered to be the deadliest was a fucking arm mounted spike.

As others have said, the gay space rocks can just gunsmoke Earth with their spaceships.

The show is fairly inconsistent in showing how strong/durable an individual gem is, but why would one assume that if soldiers were to engage gems they'd have to aim for a gems ... gem to win? Gems have gotten poofed by swords, sticks, and being squeezed too hard so why wouldn't soldiers just poof enemy gems and then shatter them at their leisure?

Oh yeah but it's the only threat they have. People seriously underestimate how well our nuclear arsenal can be used as planetary defense.

What? No, you fucking idiot.

Space is a vacuum. There is no shockwave. A Nuke will fuck up, at worst, a single ship on a direct hit. If it explodes even 10 meters away from the surface of its target, the damage done to the ship will be mostly heat rather than force. Two ships would basically have to be docked for the nuke to hurt both of them.

This is especially true of actually armored ships belonging to an advanced civilization. Our modern spacecraft are basically balloons, and can be torn apart by just very small debris. Advanced spacecraft also wouldn't give a fuck about the radiation burst, because if you are built for interstellar travel the energy spike from a nuke is bus fare compared to the electromagnetic output from stellar bodies.

Why shatter them when you can have your own harem of multicolored rock waifu slaves, or the most bitchin' jewelry on the planet?

Didn't Lapis' gem get cracked because someone stepped on it as they were running away? Did that particular gem just deliver a super powered stomp as one last screw you before evacuating?

>They just use melee weapons, primitive humans should have been able to shatter some gems.
They very well may have. The armor and weapons in Rose's armory could be for humans to wear. I figured that there were probably some human auxiliaries in crystal gem armies during the war.
Remember, Sadie, a relatively out of shape human, was able to poof a corrupted gem with a fucking sharpened piece of wood.

The EMP would instantly fuck up their ships
Plus space being a vacuum means nothing is stopping the detonation from continuing forever and fucking up the ship

You mean absolutely terribly?

We are at the bottom of a gravity well. They are not, in any way, obligated to come close to us to throw shit in our direction.

We would need to spend weeks, or at the bare minimum days if we for some reason were already planning for this, preparing special rockets with enough fuel to launch even a single nuclear payload at an enemy in an orbit on par with the moon, and they would have FOUR FUCKING DAYS to shoot the rocket down as it crossed the distance. Or, you know, move.

We have thousands of nukes at our disposal, but we can not get any of them to an enemy in space in any reasonable amount of time unless they are basically kissing our atmosphere.

jesus why are puppies so cute?

So wouldn't conventional fire arms fuck up gems big time?

but you just have to hit their weak point, their gem. we can break diamonds easy

I don't think you even need nukes for that

That's kind of the point of the Breaking Point man. It's really strong.

>emp

Wtf? Where did you get that?

The numbers for how much damage they can take are bullshit
How did they even come up with it?

You didn't know nuclear explosions create emps did you?

>The EMP would instantly fuck up their ships

Why? WE have military hardware that immune to EMP. And we don't sit in space beyond the safety of a planet's electromagnetic field getting bombarded by cosmic rays that fuck up any unsheilded electronics.

> Plus space being a vacuum means nothing is stopping the detonation from continuing forever and fucking up the ship

Okay, let me break this down very simply.

There is no air in space. Its a vacuum.

Force needs a medium to transfer through. Heat benefits from this too, but can make do with radiation in a pinch at the cost of efficiency.

If you explode a nuclear bomb, it will atomize the materials of the bomb itself into plasma. The mass that made up the bomb will expand in all directions, carrying the force of the explosion. But because there is no air to interact with, that force WILL NOT be transferred to anything else unless the expanding bubble of plasma hits it directly.

The explosive potential of the bomb is thus largely wasted, even if the bomb detonates only a short distance from the target, and even a mile away from your target the mass of your bomb is so diffused that you will just knock their shit around a little, dealing no real harm, because you are not hitting them with a massive wave of force. You are hitting them with a few very sparsely spread out atoms, going very fast.

Unless your bomb was a shaped charge, the vast majority of your explosive potential isn't even going towards the ship. Its actually going the opposite direction, because the rocket that carried the nuke to its destination (probably the greatest source of mass of the detonating body) is behind the bomb.

>Light speed to
>Gems send down Rubies
>They fuse and destroy metro area
>Quartz soldiers are sent for actual war
>Lazulis drown sea areas
>Worse comes to worse, glass the surface with hand ships

There would literally be nothing we could do.

Most likely. I think gem durability works like a balloon almost, except much harder. They appear to be very durable to blunt impacts and extreme conditions, but surprisingly weak to piercing weapons.
Case in point
>Pearl
>poofed by a sword (granted, the sword could be special gem metal or something, it's unclear)
>Jasper
>Poofed by a sharpened piece of metal
Like how I compared it to balloon: you can bat it around as much as you want, but take a needle to it, and the whole thing falls apart.
Guns with high penetration capability would be best for anti-gem warfare though. I'm not sure a shotgun or lighter caliber pistol/SMG could do the trick.

No, it just means the guy who did the math was a retard. Assuming the gem weighs 1kg, which is pretty fucking generous, it would have to fall for over 4 kilometers in order for its kinetic energy just before impact to be 40,000 joules. There is no way in hell Bismuth's weapon did that much damage.

you know I wonder if it's possible for a human on that earth to have a zoo of gems like the gems have a human zoo, made possible due to poofing and then not allowing a gem to reform until in a proper containment zone

We literally do not have emp proof electronics
The only thing we have is putting shit behind fuckloads of lead or in the ground

Also your space is a vacuum argument is bullshit.

I think it works more like any other crystal structure. You wont shatter it with the energy weapons used in the show, you wont scratch it, it can take a lot of applied force, but hard impacts just shatter them.

I mean where did you get the idea that electromagnetic would fuck up Gem tech? It's by far their most impressive asset.

The original math was for Amythest. I'm pretty sure that her whole body weighs more than 1kg, even if maybe her gem itself weighs that. If she did, the absurd air drag from her physical form would basically act as a parachute.

Dude, the gem didn't fall. Amethyst with the Gem embedded in her chest fell. And onto a sharp rock with her arms and legs at her side. And the gem didn't even crack.

Why can't Bismuth's weapon be that strong? The point is that it would change everything. Obviously it has to be fucking strong as hell.

Stop acting like a moron and read up about the bullshit you claim to know shit about

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-altitude_nuclear_explosion

In his defense the space vacuum argument is right. In a vacuum a nuke will just sent out a lot of radiation, but the EMP would probably fuck with the electronics of the ships. I

All of this is bullshit because SU fans have been telling me for fucking weeks that the reason the fights suck add and don't have momentum is because the gems are mostly light and don't have mass

They have orbital lasers, they could toast us without ever setting foot on the ground. The medieval weaponry is for fun. Why press a button when you can lop off heads and feel the blood hit your face?

Gems could be ok in warhammer40K universe. They only need to ally with the Tau empire and as gem auxiliaries can survive most of w40K insane dangers.

what do you think about modern earth? we are fucked. Any space faring race is advanced enough to destroy us.

I mean I assumed their space shit ran on electronics and not some stupid gem magic plot patch

If the argument relies on the weight of her full form and not just the gem then the claim that 40000 joules is needed to shatter her gem is bullshit because her body would have absorbed most of that shock. Her body may have taken that much force, but not her gem.

That's just from commercially available firearms. Once you get into military hardware the numbers go up A LOT.

Being light doesn't mean they lack mass. Also I used 1kg for my math, which is very light.

Vanity and an unchecked reign. Homeworld has had it too easy for too long, they've gone complacent.

>don't need to eat or drink
>don't need air to survive
>ageless
>naturally stronger and resilient
>technology indistinguishable than magic
>every gem is armed
>fast "reproduction" cycles
>can live in space

what do you think user? We only need to know how strong they are against bullets and explosions and we are fucked.

Your link explictly explains why its not a threat in space.

> The gamma rays penetrate the atmosphere and collide with air molecules, depositing their energy to produce huge quantities of positive ions and recoil electrons (also known as Compton electrons). The impacts create MeV-energy Compton electrons that then accelerate and spiral along the Earth's magnetic field lines.

The unique conditions of high altitude atmosphere allow for a large dump of electrons that spread and fuck up an area. In space, without air molecules to interact with, you don't get this effect.

Diamond-tipped sniper rounds

The America in SU seems more inclined to have a lot of libertarian and conservative prepers all over the place with well armed local militias.
No WWII, but they still won independence. This could be similar.

As for modern earth, yeah duh

Gems win.

The problem everyone is over looking is that the gem race is an empire. Sure they may lose a ship or two to nukes. But they'll quickly learn from such mistakes and just attack from afar.

Actually scratch that. They could easily systematicly disable us simply by taking out our satalites. Our military systems are heavily reliant on GPS. Without satallites to coordinate most first world nations are fucked. Watch this video c-span.org/video/?428018-1/witnesses-warn-electromagnetic-pulse-attack-damage-us-electric-grid if you want to learn just how weak the US power and military system is to EMP attacks.

From there we enter panic mode as nations start being over taken. Allies back stab each other and try to send nukes/missles at each other thinking sacrificing one nation is worth it.

Some gems are strong, but some are brittle. And even the strongest ones have points in their cuts where a precise slice can split the gem in half easily.

>5000 years ago they had the Shooting Star
I completely forgot about that.

Aren't they just actual gems at their core? Couldn't humans just get a shit ton of giant amplifiers and shatter the gems with waves of high frequency sound until they shatter and die Venom style?

All this talk of cracking/shattering is pretty null. Gems will be damaged and shattered as the plot demands likely without much regard to actual force.

That is unless you think pic related is stomping down with the force of multiple shotgun blasts or something.

like that would ever stop us. humans are fucking stupid and would destroy the earth and ourselves if it means they can't have it

I fail to see how that is stupid.

sound can't travel in a vacuum and gems can attack from high orbit

from Amethyst's fall.
youtube.com/watch?v=UV1NiqGVGQo

>Not giving up Earth to superior lesbian overlords

You do know that just because diamonds are hard they can still shatter right? I think any metal besides those that are liquid at room temperature would make a better bullet.

>gems are a thre-

I think somebody earlier brought up the fact that a foot could shatter a gem. The argument comes from some retard thinking tens of thousands of joules are needed to shatter a gem.

A simple flask robonoid was shown to be impervious to an EMP blast that took out an entire town's electricity.

Didn't a normal teenage girl poof a gem with a stick?

Corrupt gems are noticeably far weaker and easy to poof.

>besides those that are liquid at room temperature
Just put them in a heat-resistant shell. Bullets are all about the mass and maintaining shape is only important until the point of impact (to make sure all the energy is condensed in a small area; hardness isn't a factor).

Alternately put them in a shell designed to break apart in launch. Shooting a high-velocity mist of Mercury at someone sounds like a pretty horrific experience. Well, to a person anyway.

The only good gem is a dead gem

youtube.com/watch?v=CIGHCoVzqtk

Of course. The Diamonds are awful leaders, being women after all, and the Gems are too autistic to be able to adapt to new situations easily.
I mean, if two gems, one hideous freak of nature and one mongrel can hold Homeworld at bay, what chance have they against seven billion humans?

We'd have to nuke them in space, before the get inside the atmosphere. Upper atmosphere might be fine too, depending on the weapon in question.

homeworld has an army
earth has the MURDERCOCK

although, Earth as a resource by homeworld's perspective is spent. Humans have mined and terraformed most of the planet so prime kindergarten spots and places to build would be compromised in quality.

Logistically, it wouldn't make sense for homeworld to conquer earth no matter how resource starved they are. that's like invading a country just to get at their scraps.

Its not as simple as that. Creating the frequency to shatter a material is hard to do outside controlled conditions, and different gems have different compositions so you can't have a single frequency that kills all of them even if you did make it work somehow.

A gem war would be like vietnam war.

Only they are the Americans and we are the piss ants. And they have no moral obligations or hang ups with nuking everything should something go wrong.

I like the point about only needing mass and shape, because mercury is super dense it might make a good bullet. But imagine a battlefield dense with mercury mist while you as a human are fighting the personification of a rock.

this niggas got the right idea

If FUCKING sadie and peridot can poof gems everyone can.

She landed right on her gem and there's an audible crack. Not counting air drag, her gem took full impact.

Don't pull shit bull shit on me, Lapis was cracked by a fucking foot. Unless you are telling me that foot hit with at least 40000 joules of force your argument is complete bullshit.

I think everybody in this thread is forgetting that an entire gem invasion was pushed back by a few gems using melee weapons. If orbital bombardment was an option then they would have glasses the surface of our planet because they had no moral issues with destroying all life on Earth.

>believing Lapis the rapist's story
Lapis is a liar who has zero proof. Her word is as good as nothing, so the stomping argument is null.

But have you considered the possibility that the Gems' cores have similar physical makeups to their real world counterparts? If this were true, then a single measurement may not be accurate to account for the large varieties of Gems we've encountered.

Back in the rebellion rose did have laser cannons that could destroy capital ships

>using melee weapons
and a commander who could summon an army of expendable plant soldiers, and who could heal any gem injury shy of a full shattering, and who readily fused into enoromous kaiju as the situation needs

Nukes wouldn't destroy the Earth though. Do you even realise how many hundreds of nukes we've set off already?

>Gems land and get out their melee weapons
>Tactical nuke
>Gems leave, assuming the Cluster will get us

Completely missing my point. Sure they could deal with land units and near earth ships. But one of the better arguments for the gems winning was bombardment from space, even from a range outside of earths orbit. However, the home-world gems did not use that option then when if would have been the most logical option for a race largely governed by logic, with some exception. This leads me to believe either they wont use bombardment or they cant, and that their ships have a shorter range. Either way, I don't see why you two are arguing against me, you are basically affirming my argument that even with the home-world technology they can be driven away.

Revolutionary War era weaponry and proper strategy could stop them. Becky's story HINGES on the fact that there are no guns.