Are we done pretending this movie was bad?

Are we done pretending this movie was bad?

youtube.com/watch?v=vAuOfRRmtSc

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=W0zEImHzJoM
youtube.com/watch?v=c0_yi2p6OgI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Fell apart at the mountain giants and Goblin Town.

The rest, if I remember, was really good. I especially like the fall of Erebor and flashback at Moria.

Hobbit movies are good. Hobbit movies as part of LOTR series are bad.

When the "Lawd of the Rangz: We Wuz" show comes out, we will look back at this and regret saying anything negative about it

Didn't watch the first one because all the colors looked fucked up. Didn't try again because everything I've seen about it looks bad

Literally the SW prequels of this decade.

maple films edit makes it a really good movie. I wish they cut out the shit bits with more interesting parts like beorn raping goblins

the hobbits were great. it makes sense they were goofier and more fairy tale like. only real problem was the cringey forced romance, and that faggot alfrid. oh and way too much cgi. mostly the 3rd i think.

hobbit wouldve been great as one long movie. just cut out the stupid romance and fan service crap like legolas

>Hobbit movies are good

"no"

For all their flaws, the movies are watchable and the core of the book is still in tact.

This. Dunno what PJ was on, but those scenes, goblintown escape specifically, fuck with the tone and they just visually vomit everywhere so you can't develop a sense of what's happening. Otherwise, it's a solid film. Even the second film mostly holds up except for the battles going on too long and the laketown stuff.

An Unexpected Journey was passable. The other Hobbit films were god awful though.

There's a fan edit that condenses all 3 movies into a single 4 hour 30-something minute movie, and it's significantly made better for this. Cuts out a lot of uneccessary stuff, like the Legalos and the Kate character pretty much entirely.
There are only a few parts that are slightly jarring since obviously the music is set up for the full cuts in the theaters.

Bilbo and Thorin were perfectly cast.
The first film mostly holds up apart from the storm giants and the escape from goblin town.
Second film mostly holds up apart from the extended barrel sequence and the Smaug theme park ride ending with him being covered in gold. The third film is a colossal mess with a 400% instagram filter on.

Acting is all around decent, the love story was completely useless, and they should've cut Thorin's company to 5 dwarves and expanded their characters, or else kill off some of them along the way.

yep

I really liked the conversation between Bilbo and Smaug. Definitely one of the more succesful changes from the book.

It wasn't Peter Jackson's fault.

Bilbo's conversations with Gollum and Smaug were perfectly adapted. Quite honestly, those were the only two scenes I really wanted them to get right.

This desu

Jackson got the CGI equivelent of dragon sickness during LotR.

It is bad as soon as the CGI fighting starts. It’s like a video game cutscene from 2005, nothing has any weight to it and like the Star Wars prequels ruins the main story by making us ask, why didn’t Legolas just shoot 20 guys in a matter of seconds and where were these characters in the main trilogy and why are the lotr heroes struggling against enemies that these guys wiped the floor with

The movies have lots of flaws, but the only one that bothers me is how they fucked up Smaug. His reveal scene and conversation with Bilbo was excellent, but then all his menace and power gets completely stripped away from him once he starts chasing the dwarves. His attack on Laketown was also great, though but his death scene wasn't

I would have forgiven every flaw of the trilogy if they would've just done Smaug completely right.

on their own they're decent at best, but when compared to the LOTR trilogy, they look like the shittiest shit one could ever shit on a shitter.

desu they only really needed to make one hobbit movie - if it was less stretched out it could have been less shittier

Reddit hates them so we like them by default

Nah, this board doesn't like them either.

Like most mainstream movies, there was massive amounts of shitposting when they first got released, which caused most of the fanboys here to take shelter and wait out the storm. Now that the storm is over, most of those fanboys are slowly crawling back out of their shelters to try and see if more people started liking them now. I'm one of those people

It'll happen with Warcraft soon aswell, but that movie was just pure garbage whereas the Hobbit movies are, objectively speaking, decent at best.

>decent at best.
Stop lying to yourself user

Eat shit and stay mad.

I thought the first was decent. Wanted to walk out on the second one after the barrel fight. And the third I've never bothered with.

How they went from the CGI in LOTR to the carttonish CGI in this series is beyond me.

personally I think that Uj was amazing, it felt so faithful to the book and truly inspirated by it.

DoS and BoFA were in fact absolute garbage.

I hope so. The extended edition is honestly better than any of the LotR films

This, Maple edit is part of my annual LOTR marathon

The CGI in Hobbit as actually much better than LOTR, it's just the color grading that makes it look so much more shit.

Compare the first and second trailer of AUJ, for example. The first trailer (the Misty Mountains one) didn't have the excessive color grading yet and it looked much more like LOTR, whereas the second one already looked more cartoonish

The only garbage one is Bofa, Dos is the best of the three. Bilbo and Smaug scene is amazing

FotR is a legit 10/10 movie, but the rest of the trilogy is a bit weaker. But its still great since he had people stopping him from going totally fucking insane with it.

The Hobbit trilogy is just what happens when you give him too little time, too much money and he probly didnt really give a shit either. No idea but studio interference may have played a part. The first 2 were watchable with some great parts but the 3rd one wss just complete nonsense

I like this movie more than I do Lotr desu.
It actually felt like the dwarves were an actual fellowship who cared for eachother.

Studio forced him to make 3 movies, he originally wanted to do only 2 I think

I can see your point, so let me correct myself. DoS was garbage EXCEPT the amazing and well written Bilbo and Smaug scene.
Can't forget how they butchered Beorn character tho...

The main problem with hobbits is is's fucking length and boredness. When you watch lotr, you enjoy every second of those 10 hrs. But in hobbit...
Like this barrel fight. It was waaaay to long. They can cut it and instert smt other, like dwarven song still would be better. Also, fight were way worse, then in lotr. Some of them was good, like final figth with thorin vs whiteorc, But, in that same time, legolas fight was like shit. Battle of 5 armies was totall mess. CGI also did damaged the movies.
But is could be sooo better. if they made ONE film.

I really hated it at first because they added white nazi orcs that chased them around which really ruined the feeling of epic adventure and turned it into a generic evil villain chasing the heroes movie. The noble elves rebelling against their own kind were shit as well and done a million times before. I can enjoy the movies only if I turn my brain off completely and watch the moving pictures fly by.

I caught the first one on tv the other night and it's good enough. Has some good moments. The other two were just too much though. the simple adventure of the first is fun and whimsical.

The scene where Gandalf explains that it's the small things done by everyday folk that keeps the darkness at bay is the best moment of the Hobbit trilogy and something Tolkien would have liked.

>I really hated it at first because they added white nazi orcs

That's some fine virtue signaling there, user. You should be proud.

Would have preferred if they kept the council parts since those were nice but alas.

Best scene

one of them is in the main trilogy, he's the one in the tomb.

Yeah the problem with the CGI in The Hobbit is that you can tell all the weapons are passing through nothing at all. There's really no impacts. The worst offender is when the Graham McTavish dwarf is spinning his mace-stick over his head smacking away goblins and it's so obvious he just did the movements and then they inserted goblins getting hit by the movements, which is what they did for every combat scene in the whole trilogy.

In the original Lord of the Rings trilogy they had guys in prosthetics and make-up as the orcs and so every battle scene was people hitting eachother with prop swords. Watch the Aragorn vs the baby Lurch scene and compare it to the final fight with Azog and see the contrast. Having actual people there makes all the difference.

Yeah it was only really the background fights that were CGI in the LOTR.

the best scene of the three was the Battle of Moria, and the fucking pleb who made the fan edit cut it out.

first hobbit movie was ok. Other 2 were bad

Also Gloin was present at the council of Elrond.

The giant army engagements were CGI because they can't pay 1000000 extras, but whenever the camera came close in to focus on action it was all dudes swinging props around at eachother, and hence it looks real, because it's really happening.

I mean you can even compare ridiculous Legolas stunts. Compare Legolas running up the falling bricks in CGI with the stuntman surfing down the staircase on a shield in Two Towers. One actually happened and so looked like it was actually happening. ALTHOUGH that being said, in Return of the King, Legolas does the wild-ass Oiphant CGI shit.

LotR action was just so great. The guy playing Gimli could see fuck all from under all the prosthetics and make up on his face and he was just smacking away with the prop axe at the stunt guys and it really shows in the final product.

no matter what it is, somewhere a dumb enough motherfucker exists to post any opinion

Speaking of Gimli, one thing you have to hand to both LotR AND Hobbit is that the "little people" effects are seamless.

There's a lot of times they just put kids in the costumes for far away traveling shots or where you can't see their faces, but for when two actors are in the same shot together they managed some wild effects for it from forced-perspective to weird hydraulics systems to rig it up.

And of course shoving Ian Mckellen into a green room to act against pictures until he cries

>perfectly adapted

the Gollum dialogue was virtually unchanged so it's actually just Tolkien writing an iconic scene that shines in it, though the direction and pacing was good. The Smaug scenes totally miss the point of 'waking a sleeping dragon' with the famous scene where the beam of light extends from smaugs eye and Bilbo suddenly realised he was awake all along. The only good part was Smaug being curious about the one ring, which is never touched on in the books.

>that go pro footage
What the fuck were they thinking?

Do all three films have an extended cut like the LOTR movies now?

If so how long, and how mad would it be to watch them all in a single sitting?

youtube.com/watch?v=W0zEImHzJoM

Lots of the orcs and goblins in The Hobbit were guys in prosthetics aswell, though. For the Goblins they just CGI'd their faces because the stunt actors were all fainting under the real masks. Even some of the CGI orcs were also guys in motion-tracking suits, so despite them being CGI, they were still actually present on the set when the dwarves were swinging at them. The main problem is just that there's lots more over-the-top action scenes in TH compared to LOTR where they simply couldn't use stunt actors because the action was so ridiculously over the top.

>And of course shoving Ian Mckellen into a green room to act against pictures until he cries
That pic was taken way out of context, though. He cried because he thought his acting wasn't good enough. He didn't cry because he had to act in a greenscreen room (he had to do this loads of times in LOTR aswell)

Even Ian himself admitted he was overreacting.

Also meant to reply to

The first was decent enough, worth watching. The second only really had Smaug scenes going for it. Third was irredeemable, I tried rewatching it but just couldn't soldier on.

>Lots of the orcs and goblins in The Hobbit were guys in prosthetics aswell
Not during combat, but that's another problem. The juxtaposition of the actually there orcs vs Azog jusst made everything look wrong. The scene at Weathertop(?) where the actor orcs are interacting with Azog and the Wargs just made Azog look jarringly out of place.

That picture wasn't just a picture btw, it was a full video in which Ian starts crying and says, "This isn't why I became an actor". He felt he wasn't doing a good job because he literally didn't think he could act in that situation.

Yes they do, but they're all shorter than the LOTR films.

Yes. They are 180 minutes.

Also, the extra material, which is about 8 hours for every film is more interesting than the movies and a fantastic watch. Makes me feel bad that they turned out like they did since there was a lot of passion put into it.

Is there a consensus on the best edit of these flicks yet? Should I just look for the one with the shortest runtime?

>mfw I remember the Lord of Laketown's sidekick budget Wormtongue comic relief guy and the amount of screen time he has
>Legolas' ridiculous shit and blue eyes for some reason
>that girl-elf they put in for no reason
> then tried to force in a romance story

God damn don't make me start remembering this shit.

The problem with this trilogy is that there's still quite a lot of great scenes in them, they're just buried between even more shitty scenes and filler.

If everything in these movies was shit, it would've been a lot more tolerable. Now i look at some of the great scenes and can't help but wonder how great these movies would've been if they just removed all the shitty filler (and no, fanedits just don't work). They really should've just sticked with 2 movies.

Doesn't help that they heavily butchered the OST in the movies aswell (especially in the first one).

>sticked

Fuck, meant stuck

Good scenes I can remember are all the smaller moments.

>Gandalf talking with Galadriel
>the dwarves singing in the evening in Bag End
>breakfast with Beorn
>riddles in the dark
>Thorin talking to Bilbo before death

And funny enough, Hobbit was supposed to be about the smaller story and moments and lo and behold that was the best parts.

The three movies are good. They suffered from fanboys that expected lord of the rings and studio interference tho

This is the only correct answer

The "small frodo" in lotr was some tiny indian guy and hearing all the stories from viggo about him is hilarious

>if we fall from this boat just save yourself, i cant swim

There were some good scenes in the Hobbit trilogy, but unfortunately about 50% of each film was unwatchable filler.

>An Unexpected Journey
The opening scenes in the Shire and the parts with Golem are legitimately great.
Skip these scenes: (1) every scene with Radaghast, (2) every scene in Rivendell but the map reading scene, (3) the mountain giants scene, (4) the prologue about the history of the dwarf kingdom. I would also recommend skipping the trolls and the goblin king but they're kind of integral to the story.
>The Desolation of Smaug
the part with Bilbo and Smaug and the scene where Oakenshield convinces Lake Town to let them go were great, but I'm having a hard time thinking of any other scene in this film worth watching.
Skip these scenes: (1) werewolf man, (2) every scene with Gandalf meeting Sauron or the orcs and getting captured, (3) romance subplot elf, (4) any scene with Unibrow, (5) the entire fight with Smaug in the furnaces which was only added for the sake of a pointless climax. Unfortunately, the whole part with Kili getting sick and writhing in pain is integral for this movie, despite the fact that it's completely forgotten and he's all better ten minutes into the next film.
>Battle of the Five Armies
I honestly don't remember this film very well. I really did like the scene at the end of the battle where Bilbo and Gandalf are just sitting together smoking a pipe. Really telling that a film with three hours of endless CGI carnage would have its greatest moment with just the two most established characters sharing a moment together.
I would still probably recommend skipping any scenes with Gandalf, Legolas, Galadrial, or Agent Smith since they were completely useless and just pure fan service. It was painfully obvious watching these films telling what actually belonged in the story and what didn't. Jackson went too far in some places, and you can't remove some of the scenes,but you could diminish the effects.

Don't forget this.

youtube.com/watch?v=c0_yi2p6OgI

Shit movies that contrarians pretend to like?

>Battle of Moria
wat

>we

I think it's okay. Probably good if you compare it to movies nowadays.

I really liked the first one. The 2nd was alright, I didn't like how the dragon sounded like a weird trannie pervert. The 3rd one was fucking awful.

I might rewatch them soon cause of this post.

>objectively
It depresses me how retarded people on this board are

>every scene in Rivendell but the map reading scene

Why that? I thought Rivendell was one of the better parts in the first movie. Especially the scene with Elrond and Bilbo

>Dunno what PJ was on
Beign butt fucked by the studio making it impossible to make anything good. When the studio makes it that you are writing the scenes as you are filming them someone has gone wrong.

Why is it good?

>I honestly don't remember this film very well. I really did like the scene at the end of the battle where Bilbo and Gandalf are just sitting together smoking a pipe. Really telling that a film with three hours of endless CGI carnage would have its greatest moment with just the two most established characters sharing a moment together.
That moment was sort of improvised as well. They had a whole dialog written up but didn't really have the time to shoot it so they just made them sit in silence instead.

Hobbit isn't bad or good it's just there but the fact it had to live up to lotr made it relatively bad

Because the movie has good stuff in it. The edit somewhat tries to remove most of the shit stuff i.e. Legolas, and female elf which makes it a enjoyable viewing as far as I'm concerned.

And here I was thinking that the cut RotK scenes were bad

As generic Hollywood franchise blockbusters they are pretty alright. Better than anything Disney or DC have shat out that's for sure.
Well, maybe not the third movie.

So if hes weigthless enough to move on the falling rocks, how can he do a wrestling move like that?

I'll give it a go. 4 hours is a fucking long movie though.

The flashback, and I agree with the other user, that was the best scene in the trilogy.

the elf bitch really ruins it.

Why do you have all these saved? Just so you can post them for ebic (you)'s whenever a hobbit thread emerges every 6 months?

Her existing wasn't really the problem for me but the forced dwarf romance, which could have been interesting but was just a rushed mess. I hear the actress didn't even want the role if it had romance in it or something like that.