A single character managed to completely ruin the long awaited return of a fan favorite series

A single character managed to completely ruin the long awaited return of a fan favorite series
you can't make this shit up

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/12982841/r
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why didnt you listen to Shaggy Sup Forums?

I don't think so but go ahead and assume everyone shares your opinion

I dunno. You seem to be making it up just fine.

Why are you making so many threads? The straw poll clearly showed most people liked the season. Why do you keep trying so hard?

see

>some people have the same opinon, that means they are the same person
ok

Some random online poll made in a single thread in Wich fraction of a fraction of a fraction of co posters voted showed what?

There is no "we", faggot, and certainly no together. Get your memetastic hugbox attitude out of here.

Its not her that ruin the series , but the poor writing.

Does Sup Forums actually remember what pre-S5 Samurai Jack was like? From the way people are talking about this season, you'd think it was some kind of spiritual masterpiece that defined cartoons for a generation.

And the thing is.. it really wasn't. It was a cool show with a funky premise full of lots of robot-killing action, but not much more than that. The dialogue was minimal. The characters, while memorable, didn't have much depth to them. The plot was so predictable that it may as well have not been there.

S5 Samurai Jack was never going to be a mind-blowing cultural experience. It was always just going to wrap up the story we were left hanging with over a decade ago. Yes, it suffered from too few episodes, and yes the finale was a let down, but even if it DID live up to expectations, it wouldn't have made the series anything other than what it already was.

Most of the threads are in the same writing style. And most threads just post a single sentence and call it a topic. You can't tell me it ain't a single guy or at least some fags that think they are a crew that hates stuff.
It was passed around in many threads you dolt.

Literally everyone in this site writes in the same style

Every Samurai Jack thread now is:

>Ashi ruined S5
>What would you do to fix S5?
>Fan-fiction in order to autistically justify your headcanon over how the show should've ended
>Complaining about the finale
>"Samurai Jack was never good" shitposts

It's getting boring.

This is what I said in the other thread. It seems like the complainers have never watched the original series. It was never about the plot. Heck there were so many asspuls like the sword not being able to hut Jack or conveniently forgetting when he jumped good. Or when he and the scotsman didn't think to cut the chain they were forced to wear even though they both had magical swords that cut through metallic robots like butter.

No. See how you didn't use a full-stop, like a teenager. See how the OP of these threads seldom uses punctuation.
See how simplistic his language is.

>Does Sup Forums actually remember what pre-S5 Samurai Jack was like?
yes, it was one of the best cartoons of it's time that stuck with people.
also saying that the original show wasn't some deep mindblowing experience doesn't justify the supposed return being this atrocious.

She didn't ruin the show.

>inb4 "muh 3 episodes meme!"

You're a newfag that bit the edgy bait.

I'm sorry your Scotsman fanfic will never come true.

It wasn't fucking atrocious, no matter how much you spam the board with your statements.

>you're not allowed to have an opinion, i do!

I'm curious, what made you think it was atrocious?

Didn't say that you can't have the opinion, man.
It's just a shitty one, that's all.

>inb4 muh plot

Alright then.
>the cameos
having cameos is completely fine, but having a good 10 minutes of them when you only have so many episodes and doing them for no reason is retarded.
the best offender is Demongo, what the literal shit was he about, it's not like the sam-mooh-rai that had na actual reason to be there(being a bartender) he just popped in, said some shit and fucked off.
>the fact that ashi is this important to the plot
i know hating ashi has been turned into a meme by waifufags, but she literally served no purpose at all.
the reason she's there is even more retarded.
>lol i just killed this crazy bitch's sisters but i'm gonna keep her alive instead of killing her even if she clearly is just as dangerous as them and wants my ass on a silver platter
ashi being there just feels forced, the romance itself isn't really that big of a deal since literally everyone knew it was going to happen.
this one is a big controversial so i'm not gonna expect people to agree.
>some parts of the plot
the plot itself isn't this terrible, but they clearly could've done better.
like when scaramouche goes to tell aku about jacko's swordo they could've advanced the episodes by having aku hunting down jack relentlessly since he doesn't have his kryptonite anymore(of course they'd still have to survive otherwise the plot wouldn't advance)
instead they went for a totally predictable "lol they're think they don't have the sword but they actually do!"
in conclusion it's not entirely hideous, but it could've clearly been better.
also why the fuck did they force gurren lagan at the end

This meme is getting old.

>plot is everything

Especially since the show has been pretty highly rated and the poll about Ashi showed 70-80% of Sup Forums liked her.

we've come to point where haters are more hated than the show they hate.

>it was some kind of spiritual masterpiece that defined cartoons for a generation.
it was, user

and the new season wasn't too bad either

77%, last I saw the poll, which was slowly moving towards 700 votes.

>Ashi is a terrible character
>but I hate that the show killed her off because ??????

Make sense, damnit.

How many times before we learn?

The poll has had a steady 20-30% dislike and 70-80% like ratio the whole way through, so you can't even accuse it of being doctored via bots.

just post the links goddammit

>The cameos
Necessary to show an army was coming to help Jack, despite Aku being an invincible threat.

And if you didn't show any of the villains, people would ask "Well what happened to the villains?"
>the fact that Ashi is this important to the plot

It makes perfect sense. Maybe your viewpoint has been made into a meme because it's retarded. Food for thought.

>lol I just killed this crazy bitch's dust sets but I'm gonna keep her alive...

The whole point of that sequence was that Jack didn't enjoy killing, and only did it as a last resort. Ashi being subdued meant that he was no longer forced to. He's not a sociopath like you, just because he killed doesn't mean he has no regard for life. That's why he had such a big dilemma in the first place.
>some parts of the plot
Scaramouche's little arc was entertaining and set up the finale.

And if Aku found out, we'd have to devote more time to him hunting Jack than one episode, as I'd imagine he'd be pretty fucking persistent, which means no time for anything else. And how would Ashi be able to protect Jack while he's on his spirit journey if Aku is hauling ass to find him?

strawpoll.me/12982841/r

literally only ashifags are sad about it

It was a show that treated its adult viewers with enough sillies to remind them of childhood but which also treated its child audience as more adults. It trusted them to pay attention and enjoy the atmosphere instead of bombarding them with action, dialogue and jokes non stop. That's why it is revered so much; because it treated them like adults. It was a very different cartoon from what you'd expect back in the day.
Now, that might have distorted people's memory. I started watching it when I was 18 and loved it anyway, but who knows. Then again I'm also one of those people who really liked season 5 so that might be way.

It's LoK all over again. At least this time we don't have asshurt autist who sit through 4 seasons just to find more shit to complain about; Jack ended fairly soon.

>the best offender is Demongo, what the literal shit was he about, it's not like the sam-mooh-rai that had na actual reason to be there(being a bartender) he just popped in, said some shit and fucked off.
That lasted 10 fucking seconds. 10 seconds. It was for fanservice, that's it; it didn't hurt the story in the slightest; just a quick nod to the fans because Genndy is aware of how popular that character is.
>i know hating ashi has been turned into a meme by waifufags, but she literally served no purpose at all.
I'm sorry, who pulled Jack out of suicide again?
>>lol i just killed this crazy bitch's sisters but i'm gonna keep her alive instead of killing her even if she clearly is just as dangerous as them and wants my ass on a silver platter
Jack was feeling guilty about killing them, like the murder of crows stated. She was defenseless and fanatical; Jack couldn't just kill someone who had been deceived like that, he wanted to help her.

>like when scaramouche goes to tell aku about jacko's swordo they could've advanced the episodes by having aku hunting down jack relentlessly since he doesn't have his kryptonite anymore(of course they'd still have to survive otherwise the plot wouldn't advance)
Jack wouldn't have survived 5 minutes nor found time to get the sword back with Aku fresh on his trail. The guy caught up with him almost immediately.

you can't make this shit up

>he's not a sociopath like you, just because he killed doesn't eman he has no regard for life
no, it means he knows that he can only get out of that situation by killing them, dragging ashi with him is beyond retarded.
if she wasn't a literal deviantart oc she would've killed him by now

I like ashi concept. Samurai jack has always been heartlighted series and needed a character to "guide jack back" to his old ways. A romantic interest usually can do it.

But the way she has handled was fucking terrible. She was pretty shallow before chapter 10 and in chap 10 she was hardly a character.

I wish jack could be happy. He deserved to be.

>She was pretty shallow before chapter 10 and in chap 10 she was hardly a character.
Well, how would you flesh her out more? she goes from being a brainwashed assasin to being her own person, but because of the story' focus we don't have the time to see her personality in full extent like we did with Jack.

I do not know if this has something to do with pacing, or the fact that we had 4 seasons of Jack to develop him, but what we have is as good as we were going to get, save for the lackluster finale.

ironically she was much more likeable as a brainwashed killer

I know this is said a lot, but more episodes. Not pacing the existent 10 into longer more organized episodes, but more brand new adventures showing the 2 bonding.

I think that for relationships to work in fiction we need lots of screentime.

>Does Sup Forums actually remember what pre-S5 Samurai Jack was like?

Yes, people were excited and predicted Sup Forumsntrarians will shit on it after it's over.

I get what you mean. I wouldn't have minded seeing Jack and Ashi going on less plot centered adventures saving people together. I thought that was the direction the season would be headed when they ran towards the factory to save those children. However, the stuff they did together was still pretty bonding. Saving each other's lives was a pretty big deal and I understand why it would bring them closer.

I think you are skipping a lot of bonding that happened prior to Ashi's makeover, where she talks to Jack and he explains Aku's world to her.
When she finally took it in and understood what it all meant, on top of them saving each other's lives, which is pretty significant and telling of how they felt about each other.

>It was passed around in many threads you dolt.
What he meant is that Sup Forums saw a large influx of posters from other boards that came over here explicitly for Samurai Jack season 5. The strawpoll isn't an accurate representation of Sup Forums's overall stance on Ashi. So if by "most people" you don't mean "most of Sup Forums", then there's no problem.

I can attest to this, I was on sp when episode 5 came on so I went to tv after episode 6 someone linked the sj thread and I've been here ever since. But the poll should be an overall statement not just this board

All those votes were me, it was a prank bro :,)

Becuse he was wrong. he said Jack and Ashi would never fall in love and he got rekt.

I mean it was a decent twist, what with the whole "even though all the portals are gone, I have Aku's powers and can make portals because I'm his daughter".

But she mastered them too fast. The ending was really rushed.

Aku had his skills mastered from birth too, user.
She did try to kill him, and failed. If she was as much of a Mary Sue as this board makes her out to be, she would've succeeded.

Once she was subdued in chains, Jack no longer had to kill her. And leaving her in the monster's hut would be the same as killing her.

Jack is his own character, not your self insert. He makes his own decisions and thinks his own way. Just because you think a decision is bad, doesn't mean he does.

>a straw poll of 200 people showed 55% of them liked it, that means all of Sup Forums fellates Genndy

I'm sure you wouldn't be whistling a different tune about "meaningless polls" if it wen your way, user.

Nothing was ruined, the ending was fine, you're an idiot.

Standard neckbeard doubling down on a subjective opinion because he can't handle someone else having an opinion that doesn't align with his" enlightened and objective" views.

Everyone abuses charts in their favor, it is the nature of man. It is our duty as anons to keep each other in check. Should I give in to such folly, hopefully some righteous user would rise up to slap me down in my arrogance.

The problem was that the first couple episodes of S5 set expectations up really high. Those first few episodes were arguably of higher quality than the average episode of SJ pre-S5, and by a really wide margin. So of course people were going to get excited, and of course they were going to be let down when the quality dive-bombed towards the end

Honestly I would've prefered it if she (as well as her other characterless sisters and her mum) remained as the secondary antagonist of the season, slowly killing each one off episode by episode until it was just her and Aku left.
I didn't mind her turning good (could've been handled a lot better really) but what I do mind is how after knowing Jack for a few days she just goes for him, as well as him for her. And how she fucking suddenly knew she had Aku's powers out of fucking nowhere only to die afterwards (not even immediately afterwards).
As a character Ashi had a predictable arc right from the start, it only got worse when she turned good.

>I didn't mind her turning good (could've been handled a lot better really) but what I do mind is how after knowing Jack for a few days she just goes for him, as well as him for her. And how she fucking suddenly knew she had Aku's powers out of fucking nowhere only to die afterwards (not even immediately afterwards).

This. Final episode gave me whiplash when we went from awkward flirting, to true love conquers all, to happy end, to oops I'm dead. What was the point of any of it? What was I meant to feel or understand?

The character worked as a vehicle for exploring the world Jack built and helping him find a way out of the darkness. The end of episode nine was fantastic. He had dared to hope again, and he was once more beaten down. He rose from the lowest point only to discover he could fall further. And then boom, madly in love, she explodes, and he smirks quietly by a tree.

Is it about accepting that sometimes bad things happen? If so, what did she add to that arc that wasn't available through the thousands of peoples Jack has seen suffer? Is it about cherishing the good in the world? If so, same question.

No, it's not about anything. It's the culmination of a childhood daydream. And that daydream gave birth to something beautiful. It was the nucleus for art. But when it came time for him to end the series, he jumped right back in on the nonsensical adolescent narrative that started it all. We watched the series devolve in front of our eyes.

What upsets me is that Ashi isn't a fucking character, she's a walking plot device

What the fuck does that even mean, literally every character ever is a walking plot device with a label that vague

Her role in the story was, after everything was all said and done, to be the time portal Jack was looking for all along.

Not even in my wildest shitposting could I predict that Samurai Jack would end with Jack trying to fuck the time portal.

I think he means that she only served one purpose for her entire existence, where as characters such as The Scotsman for example have a lot more depth.
I'm inclined to agree with this guy though, Ashi's entire character arc was not only predictable right from the get go it but rapidly got worse until it hit it's maximum peak of shit once she just used her suddenly obtained powers to send herself and Jack back to the past.
Jacks' entire journey has been to get back to the past and kill Aku. Ashi just came along and without warning gave Jack the solution to this problem he's had for so fucking long, only to die as soon as he got back.
Her entire character was just plot device that became a literal deus ex machina for this entire franchise. Quite insulting if you ask me How this nobody of a character came out of nowhere and practically stole us from a final chapter that should've been concluded by Jack.

>literally
kys

Literally the only purpose of her character is to be a cute time portal that gets Jack back to the past and then dies so he feels sad at the end.

even if it were objectively true you don't have to flood the board about it

i don't read comics and i still kind of wish comics fans could be spared from this horseshit

Literally the only purpose of Jack's character is to be a handsome hero that goes back to the past and kills Aku so his family feels happy at the end.

Ashinoko no sūpu yorokobi!

Are those edits or is her face actually that much of a fucking muzzle? I didn't watch SJ

It's not really consistent, there are a couple of REALLY unappealing shots of her from the side. And I say this as the guy who keeps spamming ashi appreciation threads

The finale sucked. What the fuck was the point of this season if you're going to screw up the only part anyone really cared about?

The Sup Forums results seens accurate to me. A great, not perfect, series with a disappointing ending that still not "bad", just "slightly above average"

What? Even now, strawpolls made have half the fanbase hating Ashi and half the fanbase liking Ashi.

Enough with the boogiemen "it's other boards who hates Ashi!!!"

Show me a single strawpoll that shows ashi likers in a minority compared to those who don't like her

>As a character Ashi had a predictable arc right from the start

This pretty much. From the moment she got distracted in the first episode and made herself stand out her entire arc was pretty much laid out on the spot with the only unpredictable element being what she did at the end.

I didn't realize Ashi killed Aku in the past

Oh wait
That description suits literally every character except Jack himself

I don't see it as such. Also, more depth than the Scotsman? Okay, I love that guy, but at best you can describe him a a wandering warrior with a loud mouth who's really faithful to his wife and those he considers his friends. He fights for fun and that's pretty much it; Ashi's arc was more meaningful.
I don't really see the problem with Jack concluding his journey with help. He's been at it alone for 50 years; why is it so strange that help was all he needed to finally reach his goal?
Her getting Aku's powers did make sense, though. Aku is the one who activated them, no her; as a daughter of Aku it's not too strange that they were dormant and needed to be close to the original source in order to be activated.
Again, Ashi did receive warning. It's not like she appeared out of nowhere; we witnessed her backstory unfold, and the way she crossed paths with Jack was pretty natural.
I believe you're using the term Deux Ex Machina wrong here; a deux ex machina comes from out of nowhere with nothing established prior. And most importantly, it's impossible to predict. Here we had a lot of people calling that Ashi would use her powers to take Jack back to the past. You could claim that the rest of portals just lying around just because were more of an ex machina than Ashi's capabilities.

Not him but it was a very "unexpected" occurrence to the characters in the plot as Ashi is unaware she has power when she is against Aku

It was unexpected, of course, but that still doesn't deny the fact that it made sense.

does anyone have the edit with Ashi's face on the ending tree?

Not him, i will agree that the scotsman dont have much depth, but is handled better.
>I don't really see the problem with Jack concluding his journey with help
Neither do i, but the army could have had a better function other than break him free. Together they quite possibly could slay future aku, which is one the things that the ending really needed.
Plus if jack was really going to the past, he should have made the decision himself.
>Her getting Aku's powers did make sense, though
Having the powers is something, controlling is another. Aku was powerful spellcaster before even sending jack in time. Ashi only used the shapeshifting so far.
Plus aku himself didnt control the time portal properly and didnt know how far he flung jack. Ashi didnt know the exact moment of jacks defeat. And yet she pinpointed it in half a second.

>Neither do i, but the army could have had a better function other than break him free. Together they quite possibly could slay future aku, which is one the things that the ending really needed.
Except they can't; only the sword can. The only favor they could do Jack was freeing him; they stood no chance against Aku.
>Plus if jack was really going to the past, he should have made the decision himself.
I agree, but with the little time they had it was a smart idea to have Ashi made the decision for him. Whether or not he should go back would have taken a certain time the episode just didn't have.
>Plus aku himself didnt control the time portal properly and didnt know how far he flung jack. Ashi didnt know the exact moment of jacks defeat. And yet she pinpointed it in half a second.
Aku's powers work pretty much by instinct; he does whatever he wants whenever he wants. Also, remember that Aku is literally every single drop of that goo. As small as it is, it is still Aku. It's not a stretch to assume that the good Ashi's mum drank had some sort of, for lack of a better word, "genetic" memory that could have been passed down to Ashi.
Aku threw Jack in the future as far as he could. Ashi did have one specific point in mind; the moment Jack lost. She either knew when that was thanks to Aku's memories or she just needed to think "that time Jack was sent back in time" and her powers got it right.
I wouldn't be surprised if she controlled them subconsciously; she took a few seconds to realize she had Aku's powers after using them.

I haven't touched a strawpoll in months, due to them being a cancer meme.

>Except they can't; only the sword can.
Jack hadnt killed aku yet because aku would always run away. The giant robot and the magic bagpipes showed us that aku can be moved around by other means, so as long as they kept him unable to flee by obstructing the way, jack would be able to kill aku. Team work.

what are you a MGTOW?