What's the deal with so many series finales revolving around bringing back a huge chunk of characters from past...

What's the deal with so many series finales revolving around bringing back a huge chunk of characters from past episodes to aid in one final battle against the Big Bad Guy?

Aren't there more original/creative ideas for giving a show proper closure?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtain_call
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

more fan service than a story telling device.

Continuity nods and making it feel like every part of the journey meant something.

At least the cameo characters actually did something in Samurai Jack, unlike GF and WOY

The hero teams up with he, himself, and him.

Isn't this trope an animu thing?

This trope is universal.

Because people love it, and it makes the actions of the past episode much more meanful.

Dumb.

So should Jack have ended with a film?
Dexter did a great job with that.

But it IS fan service, and it's a horrible trope that continually ruins finales. You are fucking cancer.

You're complaining about the concept of a cavalry. That's such a wide and nebulous concept to automatically shoot down it just sounds childish.

Everything is a trope. Execution matters more than the fact that something has been done before, or even a lot.

Which finale has been ruined by it?

Your post is nonsense. And fan service is always bad.

Samurai Jack, for one.

Yeah, there's one that comes to mind

>Main character gets killed in the last episode as a joke
>Everyone attends his funeral and has a laugh
>Fuck you, the series is over now

I will never not be mad. At least ATHF ended on a really good joke.

> Entertaining fans is always bad

So what you're saying is the good way to enjoy art is to NOT enjoy it, the show should try not to please the audience

Enjoying things unironically is for autists and babies.

>actually defending the regurgitation of content, instead of wishing for consistently unique stuff

Wow, it's almost like you can enjoy new things as well!

>consistently unique stuff
Not possible. All the ideas have already been written.
In fact, I'd like to play a game. You come up with an idea you think is more original, I'll dig up the trope page that shows it's not.

To be clear I think the Samurai Jack finale was utterly derivative shit and I could've done better but mostly I'd just be swapping a different set of cliches.

Unique within the context of the series, you mongoloid.

>All the ideas have already been written.
That's not possible

Pre S5:
>I'm so hyped. I hope we get a resolution to this, this, and this from the original series.
Post S5E6:
>Wow that episode was amazing because of all the callbacks. I can't wait for everyone to join the Scotsman's army!
Post S5E10
>What the fuck was this fan pandering callback bullshit! My game theory tier headcanon should have been the ending instead of this, REEEEE!

>Samurai Jack, for one.
How? Everybody wanted it, and it makes perfect sense in universe and tematicaly.

>Everybody

HAHAHA

Such as?

Fuck off, trying to astroturf your opinion. "The scottsman's army" and "the big final battle" were hyped endlessly, for weeks. Even if you personally didn't care, the overwhelming consensus here was that those concepts were great.

What?

That's not how astroturfing works, dumbass. And I don't give a fuck what Sup Forums thinks.

What would be something unique within the context of the series?

Of course it's hard to judge Sup Forums's actual reaction to anything when so many people would rather fish for (you)s (with positive and negative comments, mind, so don't pull the "you call disagreement bait" bullshit) than actually discuss anything in good faith

There's a line between recycling tropes already used in the series, which is exactly what you're trying to get me to do and don't think I don't know it so fuck off, and having a bunch of old characters show up to beat the big bad in a masturbatory display of stupid fan service that nobody with a brain cares about. It was uninteresting and the only thing I cared about in the battle was Jack and Ashi fighting.

then why the everliving fuck are you here. I swear to God this one statement alone should be grounds for a permanent, like saying "Im here exclusively to shit up the board"

I actually liked the robots piloting the giant samurai-bot.
They actually were effective and did manage to annoy Aku, unlike everything else.

If a mass attack on Aku failed the first time why should the audience expect the show to do it again?

>YOU SHOULD BE BANNED FOR DISAGREEING WITH ME

Hello tumblr

Define the line. Or don't, since it's pretty clearly you're just fishing for attention.
>and the only thing I cared about in the battle was Jack and Ashi fighting.
The deus ex machina of the fanservice army appearing to save Jack's ass was terrible but everything about Jack and Ashi in the finale was even worse.

Yet you post here for validation in your opinions?

It's not his fault if you can't understand basic English.

>fishing for attention

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm doing. You got me down cold, buddy. You demanding me to walk into your stupidly obvious trap and me not doing so does not mean I'm looking for yous. You get bonus points for agreeing with me while looking for a way to disagree with me on a bigger level, though.

Fuck off, retard.

>walk into your stupidly obvious trap

what he asked was for an example of what you think would be unique within context

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtain_call

Because they didnt have Jack