Are there any versions of Harely Quinn that use her medical degree and training when she is committing crimes

Are there any versions of Harely Quinn that use her medical degree and training when she is committing crimes

It bugs me she's a therapist, but writers hardly make good use of that.

are there any THICC versions of Quinn?

Isn't it canon that Harley fucked her way to getting a degree?

In Injustice she does, but most of the time she was presented as really bad in her job.

She had to sleep with her professors to get through.

only in meme writers version. No medical school would let some THOT graduate and then attach hundreds of malpractice cases to their schools name

>when she is committing crimes
It's kind of hard to perform psychiatric therapy while robbing banks.

The Batman had her be a doctor Phil knockoff. It was okay.

It's Gotham though

She slept her way to a degree.

>only in meme writers version.
>Paul Fucking Dini is a "meme writer" now
I know your Harleyfags are dense, but Jesus fucking Christ, how many times do I have to repost this page? Inb4 you reply saying UMMM ACTUALLY- I don't care what some fucking hack like Karl Kesel or Adam Glass retconned years later, this is the definitive origin story, and the reason why she HAD to fuck her way to her degree is because if she were a halfway decent psychologist, she wouldn't have fallen for the Joker's very fucking obvious manipulation. Rewatch Mad Love, he's not very fuckin' subtle.

NAME

>meme writer's version
Isn't Paul Dini literally one of her creators?

She likely slept her way to getting her degree, but some "progressive" writers like to mention she studied very hard to get it...although that seems out of character for her entirely.

I think she may have used it a few times in one of the newer Harley series but i can't pick out a specific example

I believe in one issue of Gotham City Sirens she pulled some psychoanalysis on Catwoman and Poison Ivy to mess with them. Don't know which issue, though.

I could imagine sleeping your way to an AS in psych but no one gets a Psy.D unless she had a geriatric orgy with a bunch of old men and women on an advisory committee

>Injustice Harley
Didn't she shit on Dr. Fate for calling himself a doctor because "some of us actually worked to get that title" when his secret identity is literally a doctor? I think an archaeologist?

not a real doctor

There's a reason they call her Harley PENN

Maybe she did. Or maybe it's just a comic book that doesn't totally adhere to reality. We may never know.

we don't know if she constantly did that or if it was just her final doctoral thesis.

either way she isn't stupid. no one could sleep their way to a doctorate for 8 years. especially with all those standardized tests she would have taken before graduate school. the time she would have had to do at a teaching hospital.

she is a C student that changed her final grade to get her PHD. which still makes her smarter and more educated than 99% of the world's population.

Neither are therapists

Many would say the same about psychologists. Although one of the literal definitions of "doctor" is to hold a doctorate in a field of study.

a PhD is not an MD, no interning at hospitals

>no one could sleep their way to a doctorate for 8 years
Maybe not in real life. Good thing this is a comic book though, and realism is firmly on the back burner.

You really expect comic book writers to write about psychology with competence?

Doctor =/= M.D.

In the 2000s run she kinda "psychoanalyzes" (is that the word?) some characters, occasionally

Surely you jest.

Not necessarily true. Many academic programs at the Masters level require residency work at some sort of hospital, clinic, or private practice setting. Harley would have likely had some practice before getting to the Doctorate level.

Academic programs in therapy and mental health, I mean. Little trigger happy there.

Some writers will still work in little psychoanalytic moments here and there. Problem is it seems like most writers don't really know how to work it in effectively.

Another thing is that Batman already has his bunch of physiology-related villains. You have Scarecrow and his phobias, Mad Hatter and his mind-control, Dr. Strange, arguably Riddler...

Kesel made the right call trying to make obsession with love Harley's gimmick so she could stand out for something, but unfortunately almost nobody followed suit. Weirdly enough of all series The Batman did, as already mentioned ITT. That show's really underrated

There is actually a scene in the movie where she starts psychoanalyzing the other members of the SS

Yeah, she then preformed surgery on a monkey, as if her degree in psychology would be the same as being a surgeon.

It seems like she fully regains her skills back when she is sane. I remember a suicide squad comic where Harley temporarily regains her sanity and she goes back to her old self but with her physical abilities still in tact. She is way more cunning and better analyzing in this form thus proving that she is smart and not a dumb whore that everyone else thinks she is.

I don't think people believe she's dumb as much as they just don't believe she's a honest whore, to oppose the somewhat common opinion that without Joker pulling her back she'd be a pure good girl who dindu nuffin

And what you just said about Harley turning back to normal revealing herself super smart sounds like cringey shit. From what I've seen i have no idea why you fags would take Nu52 SS or their depiction of Harley in particular seriously

If Marvel has a so called "sliding timescale" to let writers bullshit around events, then D.C. writers must have a "sliding competency scale" for Harley and her alleged psychiatric skills.

Hell, just apply any kind of "sliding X scale" to a character and you can have loads of writing fun.

She's still an unqualified whore compared to Doctor Fate

>to oppose the somewhat common opinion that without Joker pulling her back she'd be a pure good girl who dindu nuffin

Except that opinion is true there. There have been many what ifs and elseworlds that show if Harley never met Joker she would have had a normal life.

>And what you just said about Harley turning back to normal revealing herself super smart sounds like cringey shit

It was just for an issue or two. If anything it was a breath of fresh air and made me want more of that Harley.

>She's still an unqualified whore

Shove that meme up your ass, please.

If anything, I'm starting to see more outlets expand that idea beyond romance and to relationships and themes of mental health in general, at least far more than many of Batman's other villains.

Characters like Scarecrow have the fear gimmick that's a bit more fashionable to write, and other like Hugo Strange just aren't that popular. A character like Harley can take this more relatable subject matter and tell an interesting story out of it.

So why the fuck is Harley a psychologist anyway? Shouldn't somebody who was employed to treat the inmates at an insane asylum be a psychiatrist (which IS a medical doctor)?

user, I'm sorry to break your bubble but here's how it works: canon means fuck all and every new writer will decide by himself what Harley is or isn't

You mention elseworlds, but for example the Kesel run i mentioned above, which was supposed to be canon before New52, did the exact opposite and established she was a deranged person since her college days, and that she looked forward to meeting Joker because she hoped he was the one that could understand her delusions

>user, I'm sorry to break your bubble but here's how it works: canon means fuck all and every new writer will decide by himself what Harley is or isn't

So doesn't it make sense to pick and choose which Harley we deem to be the "real" Harley?

Of course you can. Doesn't mean people won't voice it if they disagree

It would be cool if they kept her being a lousy shrink, but because of hanging around Joker and by extension a ton of super villains casually that she has an idiot savant understanding of super villain psyche.

That analytical interest in other people's mindset doesn't seem to emerge even when she's not committing crimes.

Then again, Superman's not much of a reporter either.

When writers stop pulling their own memes out of their ass to justify Harley being more of a doctor than Fate

>That show's really underrated
It's kinda under-rated; they had some interesting ideas (exploring the time before Batman was trusted by the GCPD) and an amazing voice cast (Frank Gorshin as Hugo Strange!) but god damn were they in love with the idea of "Let's make our villains different for the sake of being different!"

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of tweaking character concepts, but "rasta hobo monkey", "gross weirdo with bad table manners" and "guy who really likes stealing diamonds" was taking things a bit too far. Plus, things got goofy reeeeeal quick when they introduced Batgirl and Robin.

All in all, I don't think there's more than 10 episodes of that show that I'd recommend, and four of those are Hugo Strange episodes.

Me on the left

There are a few problems that come up if writers try to do that. First is that it would require a comic book writer to A: know the difference between a psychiatrist and psychologist, and B: know something about psychology at a clinical level. Most writers when they have characters that understand psychology usually fall into the trope of writing them like some sort of Sherlock Holmes or Hannibal Barca type. Basically as some sort of genius who can outwit everyone because they know how people act in every single circumstance possible. This wouldn't work with the main narrative with Harley since her whole shtick is "normal person gets literally seduced by evil and follows blindly." She was after all originally just a named hench-woman for Joker.

Lastly it also creates a bit of a problem if writers do remember her psychology background. Lets say that a cardiologist knows that have a heart condition. This cardiologist is not particularly likely to then eat high cholesterol foods, smoke ten packs a day, and get black out drunk regularly. And if they were before they would make an effort to stop with that lifestyle. Harley is a Psychiatrist/Psychologist with battered wife syndrome and codependency issues and yet is very rarely self aware of this fact. Some writers will sometimes try to have her move on from the Joker for some time with her realizing he isn't healthy for her, but status quo wins out all the time and another story will get published with them together again "because that's the tragedy of Harley." If a writer were to actually use her psychology background fully they would have to also finally have her permanently move on from the Joker. Injustice for example did this because the whole premise requires Joker to be dead so she actually does move on, sort of.

I don't fully buy this. It's completely possible to recognize and diagnose issues in another person without being able to address a similar quality, or will make excuses or rationalize, much like an addict or dependent person will. There's an emotional component that complicates the whole matter.

Plus, keep in mind that there really doesn't seem to be a consistent level of how much therapeutic help Harley herself has gone through, whether during the course of her training or post-Joker-era at Arkham. Even if, at her sanest and most rational, Harley does recognize something is wrong, we don't know the extent that she has seen outside help herself, or if she even wants it.

Besides, your cardiologist in question is likely also a currently practicing one. There's a reason Harley no longer works at Arkham, and she likely also lost her licence a long time ago.

I bet superman become a hero reports who fights trump now

>Weirdly enough of all series The Batman did, as already mentioned
Paul Dini wrote that episode, too. You can tell that he really wanted to make it clear Harley doesn't have any legitimate medical qualifications, hence the scummy online degree and TV show that she only got through sex appeal.

Didn't know that. Yeah, clearly he wants his Harley to be misguided by her own ambitions at best. And i don't get why that's unacceptable, there's countless characters who's abilities can be summed up in "s/he's a genius", what's wrong with making Harley stand out from that crowd? She's better as a wild card. Although that brings the problem of writers mistaking "wild" for lolsorandumb, but that's another matter

most mental institutions tend to only have a few actual doctors. Like 1-4. And they employ lots of orderlies and nurses who have no psychology background.

>And what you just said about Harley turning back to normal revealing herself super smart sounds like cringey shit. From what I've seen i have no idea why you fags would take Nu52 SS or their depiction of Harley in particular seriously
Quoted for truth.

whats wrong with her face

>She had to sleep with her professors to get through.
>Isn't it canon that Harley fucked her way to getting a degree?

>She slept her way to a degree.

>She likely slept her way to getting her degree

How to spot someone who doesnt read comics.

Capped for posterity.

And those nurses and orderlies are there to physically care for the inmates. The small handful of doctors would all be psychiatrists, not psychologists.

Harley Quinn Issue 8

Mad Love is a completely different canon than the real one. People who don't read comics generally have a hard time grasping that fact but maybe someday you will understand.

most psychiatrists get psychiatric help and therapy from other people specifically because self-diagnosis and treatment is a crapshoot

Into the trash this goes.

And as I said here
I don't care what fucking Karl Kesel wrote.

Unless Harley Quinn #8 won a goddamn Eisner Award, I don't want to hear that weak shit.

Heck yeah redditbro! Fuck reading comics or actually knowing what we're talking about! Fuck canon! I prefer to just make up whatever I want like a sir!

An upvote for you!

Whether you care about what was retconned later or not doesn't change the fact that it WAS retconned and therefore you are now wrong.

What you like =/= what's canon.

Do I like it either? No, it's retarded. But I've accepted it and moved on.

>It's completely possible to recognize and diagnose issues in another person without being able to address a similar quality, or will make excuses or rationalize, much like an addict or dependent person will
Like House and his Vicodin problem?

>shitposting

The Harley canon is her being a brilliant scientist that fell victim to the Joker and has broke free from his hold and is DC's top female hero. Nothing your fatass can do about it.

It wasn't even retconned. Batman: Harley Quinn was her first appearance in the actual DC universe and it doesn't resemble Mad Love at all.

The fact of the matter is that Mad Love may be DCAU canon, but it has no bearing on the comics themselves.

Flippin' SJW! Me and my fellow MGTOW redditbros here are gonna smash your femtriarcy! Comic books are a feminist plot so we shouldn't have to read them!

Harley and Joker under the guise of a psychiatrist and a friendly rich investor called Mr.White convinced a rich guy with a dying daughter to build her a theme park knowing full well she would die before the park opened and Joker would be able to use it for Joker things.

After the daughter died Harley told the guy the only thing left is to kill himself but before the guy can even do that Joker gets his last laugh and gives him a squirt of Joker gas.

[spoilers]test[/spoilers]

>DC's top female hero
>decides to blow up a bunch of kids as an outlet for her raeg
sounds about right.

test

Retconned. This never happened.

>Last three panels are basically an abbreviated recap of Mad Love
>written by Paul Dini
Yeah, c'mon. The only reason her origin plays out any differently from Mad Love's is because he had to work it around the context of No Man's Land which was the new status quo at the time.

I mean, we can argue this all day, but I think it just comes down to what said, that she kinda has to be incompetent to fall for the Joker's manipulation.

At least the page you posted specified she was an "intern doing my first-year residency at Arkham", so that clears up ONE argument in this thread - she didn't do all her residencies and shit and then become a doctor at Arkham, she was an intern on her way to her PhD.

Source? That sounded in-character up until the YOU SHOULD TOTALLY AN HERO LOL part.

>that she kinda has to be incompetent to fall for the Joker's manipulation.
You don't understand human nature at all.

Maybe, but at least I don't have legions of obnoxious fans on the internet claiming I'm a "brilliant psychiatrist"

You also don't read comics

>You don't understand human nature at all.
Every fucking thread, you people bring out the "WELL THERAPISTS HAVE PROBLEMS TOO!" counterargument, but if every doctor was as unqualified and unprofessional as Harley, there'd be an epidemic more prison shrinks being tricked into going on killing sprees by their patients. After all, many of those poor death row inmates had abusive dads, too!

Harley is a special kind of naive. She may have meant well, but the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Now you could counter "BUT THE JOKER IS SPESHUL HE'S NOT AN ORDINARY PSYCHO!" but if it were just that the Joker is sooo EVIL he drives even his therapists crazy, then there'd be a lot more Arkham-doctors-turned-henchpeople in his gang.

SOURCE

No, I did not read that one shitty T&A bad girl comic featuring a bastardized version of a cartoon character. There's a difference.

I read plenty of comics, your waifu's book a shit.

How are you this big of a retard and not a Marvelfag?

THIS THIS THIS. Comics aren't canon if I say so.

Included in the most recent re-release of Batman: Harley Quinn. It's canon.

Hey Scrapper

>If you're not autistic enough to care about ALL the comics, even the ones you dislike, you're not a REAL fan
This is the cancer that is killing the comics industry. This autism.

Never referenced again. It never happened.
I'm not Scrapper but I think Harley is just misunderstood.

>Never referenced again. It never happened.
And that's all I'm saying about this shit
If this "Harley poisoned her boyfriend" shit was referenced elsewhere, I never saw it. Does that make me a le casual plebfag who doesn't read enough comics? I don't care. It's a bad story idea.

Mad Love may be "only" DCAU canon, but it's still the story that Dini put his heart and soul into that's defined the character for years. It's like when Scott Snyder changed Mr. Freeze's backstory so Nora was never his wife, he was just a delusional creep, people were pissed off. You didn't see people going "Heart of Ice isn't REALLY canon so piss off redditor casualfags!"

> the real one
> maybe someday you will understand
Fuckers like you are why I couldn't finish my master's. Precedent be damned if it doesn't support your pet theory.

she couldn't possibly have a medical degree let alone the post-doctoral education necessary to qualify as a psychiatrist

what she'll have is an undergrad psych degree and a certificate from Hollywood Upstairs Medical College

literally you cannot be a psychiatrist until you're almost 30, and that's assuming you start early

you're confusing psychiatry and psychology

You are LITERALLY ignoring the facts because you don't like them. I doubt you even finished fucking High School.

>ignoring the facts
Not that user, but the fact is the Kesel run isn't canon no mo'. It might've been once, but it's been invalidated. Just like how most of the nu52 stuff (Like this ) either has been or will be invalidated sooner or later. The piece of work that WILL still be used as the reference for all Harley origins even twenty universal reboots down the line? It's the one that won a Harvey AND an Eisner award. The one you so brusquely dismissed as not "REAL canon".

You're wrong. Look at the closest mental hospital near you and look at their staffing. They could absolutely have psychologists, therapists, counselors and so on on staff. They could have none though. They would at minimum have 1 psychiatrist and could have no others, but the idea that all mental institutes do not hire other mental health professionals? That's absurd.

Are you retarded? Do you not understand comic continuity?

>m...muh eisner
You are fucking embarrassing yourself.

she wasn't a medical doctor like a super Trama sugreon that would make any difference in superheros

No, user has a point. Comic continuity means next to nothing in an overall character's history. It gets changed and ignored all the time. By your logic, any extreme change to Harley in the main canon would be the most valid interpretation simply because it's the most recent. I won't throw some incredibly bullshit example at you, so let's say that they made her into the new Joker. A full-on, indisputable villain that garners no sympathy and has no backstory of abuse. Simply a psychopathic serial killer with no redeeming qualities. She even has her own sidekick (male) that she abuses and manipulates.

Would you still say that Harley is the most valid version of the character? The definitive one?