Anybody else love when Pete goes full rage mode?

Anybody else love when Pete goes full rage mode?

idk what's up with Sup Forums and their obsession with brutal Peter, but there's something that doesn't feel right to me when he's doing shit like pic related

I like it, Peter isn't a symbol of anything like say Superman, he's just a regular joe trying to do the right thing...keyword trying, and everyone has moments where they lose control

No, for a couple of reasons I'm not a huge fan of it.

First, it sometimes makes him seem a little scummy in my eyes. Here he was, looking like he was fighting a pitched battle against John Badguy, quipping as he tends to do. Then he just gets angry and does something like what you see in the picture. It makes him look like an asshole, picking fights with people who don't stand a ghost of a fucking chance at actually harming him, and mocking them when they have trouble hitting what's effectively a pro-cognizant wrecking ball that moves like a hummingbird. Granted these tend to be, of course, bad guys, but Spider-man of all people should be the type to express restraint. Even if he's been harmed personally; the alternative is just hypocrisy.

Secondly, it just doesn't always make for an interesting fight for Spiderman to go 'I MAD NOW' and be guaranteed a win. I've found some of his best fights were when he couldn't overpower his enemies like Mike Tyson in a room full of retarded children and had to fight smarter. When even cutting loose might not be enough.

When is well writed, like in Spider-man/Deadpool, yes. The point you manage to make Spider-man angry an silent, you know you're fucked in every possible sense.

The problem is, when this is pandering for no good reason except make the character goes edgy (the Gauntlet was a fucking waste because the only times you feel he's exhausted and battered are in the Lizard arc and at the endgame), it sounds forced.

Mad Spidey is good only when the story make you feel there's a good reason to make him "moody". There would be a special type of asshole to make Pete justifiably angry.

Not like that picture, no. It doesn't feel like Peter. When Peter loses his shit, it only really works for me when it's a fit of rage, an unbridled anger that seeps out every once in a while by mistake. It shows the sheer brute force he wields, but also doesn't make Peter feel any less of a caring individual.

One of my personal favorites was in Marvel Adventures, when Wolverine spies on Peter at his house, and Peter immediately starts beating Logan senseless in a way that Logan can't even begin to defend himself.
There's also the time Peter got sick of everyone shitting on him, and was about to throw an entire train cart on top of a villain.
Also the classic time that Spider-Man almost beat GG to death with his bare hands, but realized what he was doing at the last second.

At some level I like seeing a chill or happy underdog just let loose and go apeshit and wreck everyone up. Also it kinda fits with the idea that Pete functionally has the backstory of a super villain, and has a tendency to have a darker side which manifests when his family or close friends are threatened. It's the control he expresses most of the time which reinforce the goodness in Pete's heart. He could murder the shit out of every one of his villains, but he tries to do the The allegedly right thing and not harm them too badly (see Spider-Assassin for a what if example)

This.

The way some posters gush about angry Spidey is fucking annoying as well.

You don't think the story in which OP is from was a justified moment of having a fit of rage?

Not who you replied to but who wrote that or whose run was that from?

Grim Hunt was the story I believe, IDR who wrote it

They could've just kept Spock around to do shit like this.

What did he do here? use his sticky hands to rip some skin off her face?

I think what user is saying is that the Pete in OP's pic is too cold and sadistic. Angry Pete should basically be a beserker driven mad with rage and not in control of himself.

Like when Spock encountered the Black Cat for the first time and just beat the absolute shit out of her.

There wasn't any anger there though. Spock was on phone with Anna Maria and beat up Felicia like he did with any of his villains

Definitely. I'm of a strong belief that murder is always justified and Peter shouldn't be a pussy.

This and Punisher are why I read Marvel and not faggy DC.

Someone post the Kingpin pages

I love it imo. Back In Black is one of my favorite Spidey arcs. It's great when he stops quipping cause you know shit's about to go down. I like being reminded of how ridiculously strong he actually is every once in a while. Like someone else said ITT, he's not a symbol, just a regular dude who flips his shit when people try to hurt his family, like everyone else

Peter going quiet is always a get hyped moment.
My favorite part isn't what Peter does himself, but his rogues reaction when word gets out that he's taken the gloves off and is hunting not patrolling. That's always the best part, you get to see the underbelly of what they think of Spiderman when they plan heists and plots and the like.
>mfw the villians turn themselves in for protection

The most justified (and best IMO) was when Peter thought Ock had murdered a kid, and all the rogues fucking panicked because they knew a line had been crossed.
He hadn't, and that fact probably saved several rogues from getting killed, Otto especially.

It has that brilliant sequence with Spidey in the darkness, with that red chair to suss the reader out.

Hey Landis.

Psychopaths don't deserve mercy.

>but Spider-man of all people should be the type to express restraint. Even if he's been harmed personally; the alternative is just hypocrisy.
But we aren't talking about your average run-in at the bank with shocker, with some banter and puns thrown.
These are the moments Peter DOES lose restraint, and HAS to lose restraint, because he feels most vulnerable. It makes him Human.

Death of Jean DeWolff is my favorite Peter snapping moment.

There's more than one way to be mad and not in control of yourself.

He never delivers though. Yeah he might beat the piss out of them a little harder than usual but he never kills anyone. Spider-man going ragemode is always just a half measure.

What's some essential angry/scary-spidey-core?

>These are the moments Peter DOES lose restraint, and HAS to lose restraint, because he feels most vulnerable. It makes him Human.

He snapped Shocker's arm, and could have easily killed Sandman for good.
That was pretty narly.

Peter beat his wife in full rage mode.

So much this.

MJ looks like Starfire with all that hair.

back in black
the story where harry's kid gets abducted
grim hunt
the Ero story arc between The Other and Civil War

Grrr!

>not knowing the Mark of Kaine

Weird how people tend not to remember this, but Pym can never get away from hitting Janet.

Because the Clone Saga is almost overall shit.