The 13th Annual Better-Than List

>The true challenges the trite

>Ten Best Lists are Fake News and have been for years. Peruse local media nationwide in any year — but especially this year — and see the same movies rubberstamped because most reviewers, enslaved to studio publicists, pay attention only to highly promoted movies and then pretend to assess the state of the culture.

>Readers of this column will be aware of the good films listed below — proof that moviegoers need to be diligent about what they read and what they choose to see in this era of hype and hypocrisy.

>European films dominate the Better-Than List for reasons too embarrassing for Hollywood — and its political cowardice — to go into here (check out the original reviews). These are the movies that prove film culture is not yet dead — and not solely controlled by know-nothing gatekeepers. In honor of the discriminating judgment established by the late Dan Talbot, a distributor of integrity and great taste, the “foreign” films here preserve humane cultural values and artistic courage. Whether they were popular or not, the excellence of these films challenges politically correct dross.

nationalreview.com/article/455151/annual-better-movies-list-european-films-dominate

Other urls found in this thread:

nationalreview.com/article/455151/annual-better-movies-list-european-films-dominate
nationalreview.com/article/449721/christopher-nolan-dunkirk-trivializes-wwii-valerian-sci-fi-future-dazzles
buzzfeed.com/jpmoore/the-14-worst-movie-reviews-from-americas-jerk-fil
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Baby Driver > Get Out Edgar Wright’s autism action film, full of solipsistic sensations, insinuates pop culture’s inadequacy in the real world while Jordan Peele’s racial travesty — Hollywood’s first, inadvertent Obama apology — exemplifies that failure. The ready-to-act vs. the indolent “woke.”

Read more at: nationalreview.com/article/455151/annual-better-movies-list-european-films-dominate

Full list

>autism action film
what did he mean by this?

/ourguy/ does it again

>loves TJL
>hates TLJ

literally the king of Sup Forums

an absolute pleb or a butthurt contrarian
take your pick

I'd be on page with him about Bruno Dumont, but The Square was utter decadent highbrow self-touching satire and that Giraurdie new film made no sense and was awful to eatch

>Zack Snyder’s best moments raise comic book sci-fi to eye-widening, soul-stirring art
based

amerimutt cinema BTFO

Read his The Square review. He's actually mixed on it because of its snarky pessimism.

Ah, took him five words to resort to trumpisms.

Cuz if you check his twitter, he comes as nothing but a mindless Trump fanboy. Absolute empty cheering. Even PJW makes more of an effort with his whataboutisms and agenda.

One of the better versions of this.

>Edgar Wright’s autism action film

>Cuz if you check his twitter
Why would you ever read a man's twitter?

Holy fucking soy.

Do you honestly apply thr same to the POTUS?

I just checked his Twitter and he hasn't mentioned Trump in anything, let alone give him praise.

>Valerian > Wonder Woman
Based
>Justice League > TLJ
BASED

The king has spoken

Wow holy shit the worst thing in the world would be if someone was a Trump fanboy. W-w-wait I got a text on my Obamaphone.

>tfw every year you find yourself agreeing more and more with Armond, despite knowing his contrarian polemic nature.

>Armond White likes Baby Driver
what a redditor

Yeah but make him black to be more accurate

>Yeah but make him black to be more accurate

I'll say this
At least he knows movies

>Justice League > The Last Jedi
>Zack Snyder’s best moments raise comic book sci-fi to eye-widening, soul-stirring art while the unoriginal, interminable Star Wars series trains kids of various IQs to be mindless consumers.

>Sneaks in his stance on diversity and race realism.

SAVAGE

Soy Vey

>Zack's Snyder's best moments

Those being? The whole movie is washed-up by the same consumer-obsessed executives he's criticising. Plus half the movie was done by Marvel lol.

>Loves TLJ
What?
>The Last Jedifollows fanboy tradition, in itsHarry Potterknock-off (Rey’s concern about her absent parents); the PC, multi-culti play of Finn’s partnership with Rose Tico (Kelly Marie Tran); the take-charge feminism of purple-haired Vice Admiral Amilyn Holdo (Laura Dern evokingThe Hunger Games); and the mutant evil of Supreme Leader (Andy Serkis), tapping intoLord of the RingsCGI. Given this patchwork of bad influences, the film lacks style. Sure, the familiar space battles go click and a nighttime chase scene of heroes liberating and riding race-track beasts through terrestrial pastures is almost rousing (though photographed too dark), yetThe Last Jedifalls short of the visionary excitement that distinguishesJustice LeagueorValerian and the City of a Thousand Planets.
>This episode’s sameness might be reassuring to legions of the faithful, but hadStar Warsnot already dulled their appreciation of visual and kinetic fantasy (by congratulating their taste for humdrum sci-fi, cute robots, and outré creatures), they might instinctively realize that Johnson’s two best-looking sequences are not imaginative enough. Luke’s confrontation with Kyloon the red-salt tarmac only hints at the shock of bloodshed, and the centerpiece skirmish between Supreme Leader, Kylo, and Rey — the film’s visual highpoint — features only rote gymnastics. You cannot have seen any Chinese martial arts or Zack Snyder movies if you are impressed by this. Johnson’s backdrop is a stunning red cyc wall that goes up in flames, revealing nothing. Psyche.
He roasted it.

He's not wrong (about any of these)

Based.

It's pretty bad when you can't even read letters properly.

did he just call out the jewpigkikes?

>BTFO plebs and reddit once again
he just can't be stopped

Serious question, what is his stances towards blacks, really. It's clear the BLM movement disgusts him, he calls most of black actors disgraceful and sell-out, so what is his credo? Is it some kind of "blacks should just keep mum and endure" type of thing?

>Edgar Wright's autism action film
That's the last straw!

disagree with him on mudbound. it was pretty good and not 'ahistorical' plenty of returning black servicemen had to adjust to the overt racism that wasn't as pronounced in the european theatre.

not exactly uncommon for the klan to fuck up an 'uppity' black man in the deep south of Mississippi during that time.

Does anyone else wish they could watch kino through Armond's eyes?

You mean go at movies intent to hate them 95% of the time and strain yourself to put an "everything is political" lens on everything?

Nah.

>autism action film
Truly a blessed man

>antisocial catastrophe
That was my nickname in high school

He has praised all Wright's movies, not a surprise

daily reminder

>In January 2014, White was expelled from The New York Film Critics Circle for allegedly heckling director Steve McQueen at an event for the film 12 Years a Slave

How can I become this unrelentingly patrician?

>not even Armond White can find something better to say about Valerian than that it's "fun"
l o l

>Serious question, what is his stances towards blacks, really. It's clear the BLM movement disgusts him, he calls most of black actors disgraceful and sell-out, so what is his credo? Is it some kind of "blacks should just keep mum and endure" type of thing?
He's inflicted with internalized racism, it's a common psychological effect of colonialism

Honestly, the trick is to sincerely not give a fuck about what other people think while also having the rhetorical and oratory skills to trick people into thinking you know what you're talking about. If you sound like you know what you're talking about and you absolutely don't give a fuck about what other people think, all you need is a horse and you have become a Patrician.

>My life aa a Zucchini

That is legitimately a fantastic film, the Mary and Max of the 2010s

>makes an annual "better than" list that is basically "this panned movie is better than this acclaimed one"
>Sup Forums still says he's not contrarian

I thought he liked Lady Bird

Read his JL review

>illiterate/dyslexic loves Armond
Unsurprising

except he wrote an entire article
nationalreview.com/article/449721/christopher-nolan-dunkirk-trivializes-wwii-valerian-sci-fi-future-dazzles

He does. Doesn't mean it's the best movie ever.

>le based black man btfo libtards
I like that Sup Forums conveniently forgets about the little things

It's easily not, not even best movie of last year, I just forgot if he liked it or not

Most of these films weren't panned, though.
Some exceptions being Valerian and JL.

>Steve McQueen
He deserves every bad word for following up Shame with that Oscar-bait

>bland neo-feminist Hillary fantasy

BASED

>implying hidden figures isn't libkino

Except My Life as a Courgette/Zucchini was one of the highest rated movies of last year

>WE

and Sup Forums still hasn't seen it. there was like one thread

>Justice League
Embarrassing

This guy is based. Where can I find his Patreon?

>tfw Armond perfectly captures why you love one director in one sentence and trashes your favorite director in the next

This is why he's the only essential film critic left. He unironically really makes me think.

You can donate to the National Review so that the based black gay man continues to write about the kinos that trigger the libcucks.

brainlets

I already do

it really seems like the guy is honest/unbiased with his opinions

We all know what's behind """anti semitic incidents"""
>Whatcha doin rabbi?

literally hate everything that's not perfect

"You're an embarrassing doorman and garbageman!"

what he shouted as McQueen was accepting his award, allegedly.

based

i don't understand how anyone can appreciate Armond White, all he writes is air, it's not not true opinions, it's just attention seeking bullshit

brainlet with shit taste detected

>i don't understand how anyone can appreciate Armond White, all he writes is air, it's not not true opinions, it's just attention seeking bullshit
t. sycophant

Armond White seems to love anything focusing on gay dudes and AIDS

eye-widening, soul-stirring art

wrong, idiot

Baby Driver is a propaganda film trying to get modern autistic young men(95% of them) to re-enter the regular world and get women.

Other than Justice League, Valerian, and Baby Driver, I've never heard of anything he praises here.

The Lord of Sup Forums: The Return of the King

>Other than Justice League, Valerian, and Baby Driver, I've never heard of anything he praises here.
the absolute state of nu-Sup Forums

>Armond White's Top 5 films of 2017:

>Davies’ "A Quiet Passion"
openly gay director
>Duscatel-Martineau’s "Paris 05:59: Theo & Hugo"
openly gay directors, lgbt subject
>Jerome Reybaud’s "4 Days in France"
openly gay director, lgbt subject
>Alain Guiraudie’s "Staying Vertical"
openly gay director, lgbt subject
>Claude Barris’ "My Life as a Zucchini"
based on a book by an openly gay writer

>All the best filmmakers are gay. That’s been a fact for the past few years, even though critics polls saying otherwise are, predictably, unreliable.
>~Armond White

can someone please tell me what he fucking meant by this?

I follow film news and watch review shows on youtube all the time and I've never heard of those movies.

You "follow film news" but haven't heard of The Square which won the Palme d'Or?

buzzfeed.com/jpmoore/the-14-worst-movie-reviews-from-americas-jerk-fil

>BuzzFeed is so pleb they can't handle this nans opinion

>reading buzzfeed ever

Well I'm not French so I don't care about that shit.

Holy pleb

Prove me wrong, fag

Based.

lmao

>I only watched/know Justice League, Get Out, Valerian and Wonder Woman
This is not red*2it, my dude