Anyone else underwhelmed with his reveal?

Anyone else underwhelmed with his reveal?

Him being a complete jackass who emotionally and physically abused Eddy felt like a weird copout so that the movie could have an actual villain and give the cul-de-sac kids a reason to forgive the Eds. He never struck me as a complete sociopath, but more a prankster who gets off on playing tricks. I'm sure he probably bullied Eddy, but him being the reason why Eddy always pulled off scams rather than Eddy just being a bored kid felt like a retcon, same for everything about him being a lie.

It kinda makes sense when you remember how the episode where he told everyone his brother was coming home ended and how he reacted when Sarah and Jimmy impersonated him..

he was just as i imagined actually

It was pretty obvious that he was a huge asshole from every episode where he was significant.

He made perfect sense for Eddy being what he was?

>Anyone else underwhelmed with his reveal?
you make it sound as if this was a thing that just happened and not however long ago.

everything about him was a lie because eddy spun everything to avoid telling the truth about getting abused.

huge asshole didn't mean complete sociopath douchebag. I'm sure he bullied the kid, but they just went overboard with the guy. He just struck a prankster more than someone who gets off on seeing Eddy suffer emotionally.

Eddy always saying how "cool and awesome" his bro is kind let me to think he is exactly what he came up to be,the complete opposite

I definitely think Eddy embellished shit and idolized him almost to the point of developing a brother complex, but idk he just seemed like a prankster or giant troll more than a complete sociopath monster.

When you compare it with "Ed... Pass it On" it's an important lesson. Never, ever, ever try to live through people.

Edfags are so weird, I swear....
Psycho analyzing a comedy gag show, I can get this kind of stuff when it deals with a show that has an actual story or lore

>He never struck me as a complete sociopath

nigga, he was never even in the show what in the fuck are you talking about

He was still characterized with his antics he pulled off screen, or the way Eddy described him. Everything about him being a lie felt like a retcon.

You can bet your ass they're also shippers/fujos.

His defeat and fate at the end (being molested by the Kankers) were anti-climatic

His antics were relayed through an unreliable narrator. You can't trust anything about his "characterization" that was said by Eddy, and that was the only source prior to his actual appearance in the movie.

It made perfect sense for it to be a lie. In the one episode where Eddy told everybody his brother was coming home Kevin only asked if all the stories were true, everything the kids knew about Eddy's brother was based on what rumors Eddy spread, and Eddy was a liar through the entire series.

He just looks like Fred Durst to me

I don't just mean him being characterized by feats Eddy would brag about. Just his relationship with Eddy struck me more as a prankster older brother who likes teasing his younger brother, but still cared for him. Like when he gave Eddy those magazines which Eddy, a large part because they were from his brother. As for the teasing the package he sent in an Ed is Born shows their relationship was more of an older sibling who teases their sibling and Eddy just wanting his brother's approval. Also how much of the stuff are lies and what are legit? Do we count The stink bomb his brother made as a lie? Cause that also like I said showed his brother more as a prankster.

The only hint really that you could say his brother was abusive towards him was when he made that lie about him coming back and he was scared of seeing him again. I took it more as being surprised, not to mention he used his name to scare everybody else.

>Him being a complete jackass who emotionally and physically abused Eddy felt like a weird copout

Fucking what? This was FORESHADOWED in the first episode where they mention him, Eddy is in panic when he thinks that his brother showed up, after using his name to scare everybody else.

I take it you have never had an older brother

No dear boy, I AM the older brother!

I actually have which is why his reveal was all the more jarring. I know older brothers boss their younger brothers around and play tricks on them all the time, but that doesn't translate to being a complete sociopathic bully with no redeeming qualities. I know what it's like to idolize your older brother even if they didn't do anything to deserve it either.

He was an asshole and indirectly responsible for Eddy's neuroses. He wasn't a villain, just an explanation as to why Eddy acted like a dick all the time.

That's may be how you interpret it but Ill have to disagree.

This. It gave some sense of closure to the series and the characters, OP, isn't that all you could ask for from a series finale movie?

I mean, if they had continued on to do an entire season of him being an unrepentant asshole you might have a point, but they were never going to get more use out of Eddy's brother as a character or a plot device. How would YOU have ended it? He's a super cool guy who gives Eddy a hug and a noogie and tells the other kids "Ey leave my bro alone" and they all just walk home separately? Fuck that.

You said it yourself, he gave the cul de sac kids a common enemy and made them realize why Eddy was such an insecure tryhard putz.

I agree with the first sentence, but nah the movie definitely painted him as the villain or the "antagonist" all along.

I think the movie was overall good, and a decent end to the series. His brother could've been introduced earlier imo, or fleshed out more and given more nuance rather than made to be a plot device. Especially since he was built up along throughout the entire show. I'm not sure how I'd handle his interaction with the Eds or the Cul-de-sac kids, just that his character taking the full blame for Eddy being the way he was just felt off. Like I'm sure he passed on scams to Eddy and taught him the ropes, but I never saw him imitating his brother so that kids would like him as a viable excuse, him pulling off scams was just more of a bored kid with nothing to do. That was the entire appeal of the show for me anyway. Three buds just staving off boredom during the summer.

The only weird part was that his physical abuse was somehow worse than... what the kids did to each other every damn day.

Well yeah. Kids can get rowdy, but older and stronger people using their strength on those weaker and smaller than them is usually a no-no.

imagine Ed actually beating up Sarah. On another note why was Ed scared of the Cul-de-sac kids? He could beat them up if he really wanted.

When Sarah and Jimmy posed as him, Eddy was completely fooled, so that should show what their relationship actually is.

>On another note why was Ed scared of the Cul-de-sac kids? He could beat them up if he really wanted.
he's too nice and stupid to take advantage of his strength normally

Ed won't hit women because his mom told him not to, also what said.

When Ed has a pebble in his shoe, literally nothing can stop him, look at pic related.

>all these dorks who believed Eddy's lies
man he really played you like the chumps you are
the writing was on the wall but you all took Eddy's word for it

I thought it was too obvious, was honestly hoping Eddy wasn't lying for an actual twist.

Eds is the rare harmless retard meaning even if you stab him he wont fight back because it wont even register as a threat to him because he is that stupid.

how would you word it then

Ed knows what a threat is, he just doesn't know how to fight back.

Can we all agree Ed is the most likeable retard in all of Sup Forums?

This

He got his fucking face smashed at the end by a door. What do you mean anticlimatic?

Something tells me you havent paying attention to the show

>it's a retcon because it turns out that Eddy is a liar
Someone stop the presses!

This
That actually might have changed though with the movie. When he took out Eddy's brother with the door, that was calculated. He knew what he was doing taking out that screw.

>Literally led the Ed's on a wild goose chase into a place where they'd get raped.
>never thought he'd be a sociopath
Nigga what?

>that episode where Sarah and Jimmy disguise as Eddy's brother
>Eddy looks absolutely terrified to see him
>immediately drops to his knees and begs to do anything he can to make him happy
>doesn't find it strange at all when he threatens him with physical violence

Eddy's brother was always a dick. He might not have been a COMPLETE dick 100% of the time given that he taught Eddy how to make a stinkbomb and intended to give him his car, but still.

>He just struck a prankster more than someone who gets off on seeing Eddy suffer emotionally.

Literally the very first episode has Eddy saying how childhood trauma builds character.

Oh right, he did make that treasure map that led them to the Kankers.

>raped

Ehhh. I don't think they were raped, but it was certainly a PG version of it.

>"Good thing Eddy's brother got his comeuppance"
>gets to sleep with three ten year old girls

Is OP stockholm or is he the type of person who acts like Eddy's big brother and thinks he's a dindu?

Aren't the Kankers in their early teenager years?

>kids picking on kids
>adults picking on kids

It's pretty easy to see which one is fucked up, man. As a kid, I was a shithead and used to talk bad about this one kid's intelligence all the time. When I saw their family did the same thing, I cut it out immediately.

>Do Mom and Dad know you're here?
>...does ANYONE know you're here?

Holy shit he was going to murder them, wasn't he?

Wasn't he a Carny? Never fucking trust Carnies.

>him being the reason why Eddy always pulled off scams rather than Eddy just being a bored kid felt like a retcon
it's both. Eddy was desperate for attention and validation and his asshole brother was his role model. This could have been assumed even before the movie was made. the end of the movie showed Eddy's brother's true colors to both the audience and Eddy himself. I honestly thought it was a very appropriate ending.

I understand if you were disappointed, but the last thing I'd call that ending is a retcon.

I saw Eddy's constantly doing scams as a way to follow in his brother's footsteps and cause he idolized him. That bit was obvious, but wasn't he implying he did the scams cause he wanted the cul-de-sac's kids attention and it pinned it on his brother which was I was eh about. I have to rewatch the show, but him constantly doing scams knowing that it'd tick off the cul-de-sac kids seems counterintuitive to wanting popularity. I'm sure he wanted to be well liked, but he put money and his the Eds above everything else. Retcon's the wrong word yea, but it just felt like they shifted antagonists at the last minute so that we could have a happy ending.

Yeah I always thought they were like 13 or something at least.

Sup Forums, please go.

I think he's more surprised that Eddy came all the way out there. The distance they traveled was pretty huge.

i see your point. I guess I just never saw Eddy as an antagonist. even though he does things to antagonize everyone around him, it comes off to me as being more out of simple-mindedness than out of a desire to hurt or bully others. his counter-intuitive approach to things is what makes his character funny, and in the same way I think the viewers could reason on their own that Eddy's idea of his brother is unrealistic. so I guess that's why i found the ending satisfying. because it was more like watching Eddy grow as a character and learn for himself something he should have realized sooner.

but that's just my opinion. I haven't seen the show in a while either.

>everything the kids knew about Eddy's brother was based on what rumors Eddy spread
Nah, Rolf actually dealt with him.

Yeah. I think they knew who his brother was from that point on and just never had a reason to show him until this movie.

I liked him but i thought it was boring he literally looks like an older Eddie. I was hoping for a different appearance or face shape at least

Honestly I didn't they were gonna reveal him at all, I thought Eddy was either bullshitting or that he was gonna be long gone. At the very least I thought they weren't gonna show his face.

Danny Antonucci never bullshits except when it comes to Double D's hat.

>Get raped by underage girls.
>Can't tell anyone or you'll be the seen as the rapist.
>They can keep raping you knowing that your alternative is getting raped by Bubba.

No way, looking back Eddy's brother was always planned to be like that
Remember the episode we're Eddy tells everyone his brother is coming and they are all scared as fuck?

I don't blame you. One of Ed, Edd, n Eddy's gimmicks was that they almost never made new character designs. The most we'd seen up to now was the arm of Eddy's dad and the shadows of another school's football team.

Abusive siblings are rarely 100% abuse all the time, it's not like Eddy's brother would beat the shit out of him every time they were together. There were likely times when Eddy's brother and Eddy got along, and based on the evidence in the show it was probably times when Eddy's brother extolled his worldviews onto Eddy, essentially creating a "mini-bro". It's these interactions that created the "cool older brother" ideal that Eddy had after his brother moved out, to the point that he probably believed that his brother was a non-abusive nice guy who would help in their time of need (and thus leading to the fear and panic on his face when his brother uttered the word "uncle", since that was the moment he remembered the abusive moments).

I'm thinking the reason he looks like Eddy is because he could possibly be what Eddy would be as an adult. If he didn't have his friends, and just focused on his greed. He'd be a jerk ass who ran off from home. But Eddy is different because he has friends.

cringy autists here do the same taking the violence on Family Guy seriously.

Him being a sociopath, it kind of explains how he never visits home

How horrible haha

Now that you gave it almost 10 years of thought, yea almost anything can seem underwhelming. While we're at it, we can say that Woody being passed from Andy was pretty underwhelming too. It can make total sense, but we got over the emotions, so it's not that good.

WTF, I'm terrified of the Kankers now.

>getting raped by Bubba
Either get raped by their daughters outside, or get raped by one of their dads inside. Either way, the Kankers win.

The Kankers were the best villains of the show. I always loved them as a child.