What... I can't fucking believe it... absolute pure kino of the highest caliber!

What... I can't fucking believe it... absolute pure kino of the highest caliber!

its allright

super dark times was a better surprise

Arrival is practically capeshit. The film was made so middlebrow viewers like you can tip your film buff hats and be tricked into feeling like you're a somehow more discerning viewer, appreciating the medium on a level beyond the plebes, but it's normiecore schlock all the same. This film was Nolan level spoonfeeding trash, Villeneuve just hasn't gotten to the point where his name has become unfashionable yet.

i disagree with your opinion

Summarize the meaning of the movie in 5 sentences.

The Tree of Life esque segments with mommy Amy were pure kino

Killer soundtrack, absolutely retarded premise.

Schlock.

Arrival is part of a recent series of movies I'd describe as Dunning-Kruger Sci-Fi. Along with Interstellar and to a somewhat lesser extent The Martian, they perfectly play to the crowd that fancies themselves as (and, to be fair, may truly be) smarter than average audiences but are not as smart as genuinely "smart people." They are movies designed to make the audience feel smart by introducing complicated and heady concepts, and then holding the viewer's hand the entire way through until there is next to nothing to be left up to interpretation.

If you didn't already know the twist in Arrival by the time she was in the milky section of the ship with the aliens AT LEAST, you perfectly fit the audience I am talking about.

There is no reward for being smart while viewing these movies because everything is eventually spelled out in big fridge magnet letters. Any clever idea is made so transparent that even the most simple in the audience will get it. It also removes any reward for rewatching or trying to figure out what you just saw.

Granted, there is a difference between Arrival and Interstellar. I think where Interstellar was pretending to have a brain it actually didn't have, Arrival has a brain that it is refusing to let the audience use.

Completely disappointing movie.

Also
>so that just happened

sure its summer here

op here
yes it was a pretty predictable twist, but i was exaggerating. it finds a perfect middle between arthouse film and hollywood blockbuster. would honestly have more of these instead of capeshit.

Felt a lot like a darker version of Contact, and I really enjoyed it.

>herro this is chinaman from future. I can solve problem for you desu.
The movie is decent but I couldn't get over the bullshit ending. I actually figured it out within the first 10 minutes but convinced myself it was too stupid only to be surprised that I was right all along.

>herro this is chinaman from future. I can solve problem for you desu.
name a film you like and someone can strawmen it the same way too. i will nver understand people who do this.

I said the film was decent. but I take that back. this movie is fucking shit.

Easier to hate things and talk about hating things then to like something and defend it. Ultimate pseudo-intellects can only tear things down since it's easy and you can push in 'big4u' words without any actual intellectual work.

Time isnt linear.
The story starts from both ends and meets in the middle at the end of the movie.

There, I did it in two sentences.

>meaning of a movie
>he's just explaining the story

This pasta is part of a recent series of pastas I'd describe as Dunning-Kruger pastas. Along with the BR2049 pasta and to a somewhat lesser extent the Villeneuve pasta, they perfectly play to the crowd that fancies themselves as (and, to be fair, may truly be) smarter than average audiences but are not as smart as genuinely "smart people." They are pastas designed to make the brainlets feel smart by introducing complicated and heady concepts, and then holding the brainlet's hand the entire way through until there is next to no buzzwords left to use.

If you didn't already know the empty point of this pasta by the time it starts the second section AT LEAST, you perfectly fit the brainlets I am talking about.

There is no reward for being smart while reading these pastas because everything is eventually spelled out in big fridge meaningless buzzwords. Any clever bait is made so transparent that even the most reddit in the thread will get it. It also removes any reward for reposting or trying to figure out what you just read.

Granted, there is a difference between this pasta and the Villeneuve pasta. I think where Villeneuve pasta was pretending to have a brain it actually didn't have, this pasta has a brain that it is refusing to let the autist use.

Completely disappointing pasta.

Also
>so that just happened

Movies dont mean anything. They are just stories told through a visual medium.

>they perfectly play to the crowd that fancies themselves as smarter than average audiences
Sup Forums didn't like it though so it can't be that.

>yfw when Abbott is death process

Appreciate every waking moment of your life

>They are just stories told through a visual medium.
And stories can't have meanings?

No.

ebin

Overrated movies general?

>ever doubting Denis "The Menace"

The man has literally never made a bad film.

Why yes

I said movies, not films.

user, absolutely nothing, the Arrival always came straight with his messages, but wrap your minds around this, gentlemen.

this
shit photography as well

Moderately attractive Amy Schumer speaks to aliens or some shit.

Patrician taste. Was listening to the main theme/track from the OST and it's brilliant.

nothing you said past "capeshit" is a feature of capeshit movies

he doesn't even have a past tense, cause he don't view time that way

>mfw

Incendies
Polytechnique
Arrival
Sicario

Not a single bad film. Some of them mediocre yes, but not one outright bad.

2049, Arrival and Sicario are kino. I was astonished when I found out he made them all. He's an amazing director can't wait what he'll come out with next.

Enemy: Good

Prisoners: Great

Sicario: All time classic

Arrival: Overrated as fuck

Blade Runner 2049: Overrated

>Time isnt linear.
But it literally fucking is

This. You can also put in the same bag movies like Inception and Memento. Like you said, they're are all movies designed to make dumb people feel smart.

A bald assertion isn't an argument. I've already refuted your representation based arguments. Give me something else.

Both Arrival and Blade Runner 2 have the same problem if wasting too much energu on trying to be too clever by half instrad of telling an honest to goodness story with some meat on its bones.

They are both hollow trickery and not much else.

How does BR2049 not have a "honest to goodness story"? It has more of a story than the original even.