Obviously I’m very much a self-confessed fan of science-fiction and genre cinema...

>Obviously I’m very much a self-confessed fan of science-fiction and genre cinema. But part of me looks at society as it is now and just thinks we’ve been infantilized by our own taste. Now we’re essentially all consuming very childish things – comic books, superheroes... Adults are watching this stuff, and taking it seriously!

>It is a kind of dumbing down in a way, because it’s taking our focus away from real-world issues. Films used to be about challenging, emotional journeys or moral questions that might make you walk away and re-evaluate how you felt about... whatever. Now we’re walking out of the cinema really not thinking about anything, other than the fact that the Hulk just had a fight with a robot.

Do you agree with him?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/83235739/#83235739
archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/76891336/#76891336
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Considering everybody knows him for a comedy zombie movie, no.

>says the guy who wrote the last Star Trek movie

Says the man that helped bring to life The fucking Force Awakens. Fuck off.

>superhero stories expand people's (especially children's imagination)
>not a child anymore
>pretends it's the fault of superheroes as a genre and not the money hungry and cowardly nature of corporations

Considering we're being bombarded more and more with real world issues thanks to social media and TV pushing all that shit in our faces it's no wonder we choose to hit the theaters for a release from all that rather than be challenged

Run Fatboy Run was awful

I agree with him if the only movies you're watching are Zack Snyder films.

I reject this retarded meme that because they make a lot of big budget Marvel Superhero movies now, that they are the only films in theatres and the only thing adults are watching.

>Now we’re walking out of the cinema really not thinking about anything
This is like a pedophile complaining about people raping children. If your butt hurts about it, put your dick back in your pants, you dumb shit.

This quote is from May 2015.

Kill Me Three Times and Hector And The Search For Happiness are worse.

I like Pegg, but he might have the worst taste in projects I've ever seen. If it's not a big summer blockbuster, avoid him like the plague.

And?

Why are we still talking about it

What a fucking hypocrite.

May 2015 is the one nobody can remember having ever happened.

Because it's still relevant. In spite of his complaints, he's done nothing to improve the standing of the culture with which this board identifies.

This. Call me dumb or whatever but I spend my days reading about how everything is wrong and corrupted where I live on top of being bombarded about horrible shits that happened world-wide. And I'm not including about all the atrocities that happened in history that I have to read as part of my studies. So yeah, every once in a while, I want to watch the Hulk fucking up a giant robot for 2 hours to change my mind a little.

i couldn't tell then and i still can't understand why people try to start shit with this quote, that's undeniably right.

I disagree with him in certain ways.
It isn't our own tastes that have become infantile, its corporations that have made it infantile in how they produce and market it. Geek / nerd stuff in general became mainstream and companies took advantage of that to profit. Big Bang Theory is an example, so are comic book movies and now tv shows, the tv shows are particularly shitty and yet people love them even here. It isn't the medium itself but the companies that are allowed to produce them.

Also, he has no place to talk as he himself has contributed to it.

Nah, fuck him. Particularly due to this bit:
>Films used to be about challenging, emotional journeys or moral questions that might make you walk away and re-evaluate how you felt about... whatever.

That's as blatantly false as saying that all novels were Shakespearean masterpieces prior to the publication of Twilight. It's not like people stopped making arthouse dramas after the Avengers hit theaters, nor did they stop when horror/comedies were a big thing, but I doubt you'd ever see him complain about that.

No, what's really at fault is Hollywood's vampire-esque need to feed on what's popular until it's drained dry of value, but I'm sure he's not interested in biting the hand that feeds him by calling attention to it.

Also fuck you for trying to start shit, OP. And fuck me for taking the bait.

>Nerd culture is the product of a late capitalist conspiracy, designed to infantalize the consumer as a means of non-aggressive control
Pegg

>SW movies are for children but they don't want to admit it. There's a small group of fans that do not like comic sidekicks. They want the films to be tough like The Terminator and they get very upset and opinionated about anything that has anything to do with being childlike
Lucas

>SW created the big-budget comic book mentality, it ate the heart and the soul of Hollywood
Schrader

>A 12yo boy told me proudly that he had seen SW over a 100 times? I said 'could you promise never to see it again?' He burst into tears. I just hope the lad, now in his 30s, isn't living in a fantasy world of secondhand childish banalities
Guinness

>I don't think they are making them an elevated art form, I think it's still just Batman running around in a stupid cape. It's for kids, it's adolescent in its core
Cronenberg

>I don't want to see or make films about super heroes that fly around in spandex and a cape solving the problems of the world. I think it's fine for children, children of all ages by the way, but it's not for me
Friedkin

>They have been poison, this cultural genocide, Because the audience is so overexposed to plot and explosions and shit that doesn’t mean nothing about the experience of being human
Iñárritu

>Spandex must cost a lot. I look at them and scratch my head. I’m really baffled by it
Gibson

>Superman makes me vomit, Batman and all of that. That whole empire, this religion. It is so important that superheroes suffer... I don't give a damn, I shit on the United States
Jodorowsky

>To my mind, this embracing of what were unambiguously children's characters at their mid-20th century inception seems to indicate a retreat from the admittedly overwhelming complexities of modern existence
A. Moore

>It's produced by humans who can't stand looking at other humans. And that's why the industry is full of otaku!
Miyazaki

I think there is something to be said about how the superhero genre over the course of close to a century have been evolving and evolving towards telling more complex, more realistic stories with more human characters, with rich histories and well-developed mythologies, that can reflect things back to us about our society and culture as well as about ourselves...

...And then you have it adapted to movies where the stories are simple and morally black-and-white where the hero is a funny guy who gets the gal at the end and there's lots of big dumb fights.

Not that there's anything inherently wrong with that type of thing, but I think there's a good point that you don't see storytelling used as a way to enhance our views of the real world but simply as a way to ignore it.

I'm not saying everything has to have some political message or complex morality, but everything in theaters now is so sanitized and simplified that it's hard to get any emotional attachment at all, you get nothing but something to distract you for 2 hours.

Obviously OP is probably the same person who posted the following on Sup Forums:

archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/83235739/#83235739
archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/76891336/#76891336

and therefore also posted But how many of you are also from Sup Forums?

I am relatively certain the kinds of films he's talking about still exist, and were never the shit that made the big money anyway.

>Films used to be about challenging, emotional journeys or moral questions
What is the deep moral question of "Some Like it Hot"?

>Stop liking what I don't like!

That message would sting more if it was by someone relevant
>Films used to be about challenging, emotional journeys or moral questions
I know, terminator was very thought provoking, I liked the symbolism behind the shotguns.
also, action movies have always been dumb, that's the whole point.
he's just mad he didn't make bank off the marvel movies and that his shit isn't connecting with audiences even though it's sooo much smarter than that other movie with the explosions and spaceships.

>People don't appreciate the supereiority my work, they must all be dumb -Simon pegg

>might make you walk away and re-evaluate how you felt about... whatever.
Films, like music, literature, TV, comics, games, etc are and used to be about whatever's popular. There's no inherent integrity to any medium. They can make you "think", but they've never been made to educate. Except maybe text and audiobooks and documentaries. No, autobiographies which cash in on someone's over dramatized life lessons don't count, those are sensationalism. Modern day high budget folklore. Looking at the programming for Nat Geo, Discovery and History Channel you can see the reality of things through TV.

It doesn't matter what currently floats at the top of pop culture, dive deep enough and you'll find people consistently choose to be "dumbed down", whether or not your level is seemingly deeper or shallower than others is irrelevant. Our society is one who welcome being distracted if not entertained. That's what the entertainment industry is there for.

Everything has its exceptions of intellectual stimulation, accidental or otherwise, before someone starts digging for high brow titles they've likely never cared for until needed to rebut, but the fact is that's not the norm and at the end of the day it really is just a movie. Entertainment is emotional candy for all ages. Which isn't a bad thing, Michio Kaku claims his inspiration to pursue theoretical science stemmed from the science fiction of Star Trek, but watching Star Trek didn't make him smarter, didn't give him his PhD. The educational institution did. No one becomes or fails to be an actual philosophical, psychological, political, legal, historical, etc expert because of the cinematic cut of a topic. You work for that, everything else is for play.

>But at least they'll think about looking into it
No deeper or shallower than their interests if they have no life long ambition, they'd rather see another movie.